When did Adventure Time stop being good? What was the exact point where it all fell apart?

When did Adventure Time stop being good? What was the exact point where it all fell apart?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QJnOftZRCfQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fiona and Cake was the exact point where the autism started getting out of control, and the writers began rubbing elbows too closely with fans.

When it became about Finn being depressed over no girlfriend, finally getting one and being happy, and then having the status quo firmly assert itself as never changing when he blew it.

>Stop being good
It was never good to begin with.

around the third time we got a simon episode. Series was just getting worse at that point.

Bubbline.

Frost & Fire

Season seven got good again. Season five was a decline and season six was the "bad season" (still a ton of great eps though).

Basically Adventure Time got hijacked by shipping, forced feels, and weak serialized plots until Steven Universe stole that shitty sector of the fanbase away by specializing in those things and then the show got good again by returning to character driven adventure comedy.

Breezy
At that point, I felt the writers just gave up.

>when finn fucked up with flame princess
>when they made princess bubbegum a bitch
>when they made princess bubblegum a thousand years old
>when princess bubblegum x marceline became canon

Sometime in season 5.

Finn's meteor mom. At least SU attempted to set up how Steven was the product of Lesbian Space Rocks. That and the whole implied apocalyptic future that didn't go anywhere.

Finn's dad being a terrible person was actually a highlight for me. That and how he gracefully fucks off the plot once before overstaying his welcome

both are shit

When they introduced flame princess.

Right after escape from the citadel. Finn lost his arm, found his Dad, "killed" the Lich, and it seemed like we were getting a shit ton of lore.
Then Finn's arm grew back, now Citadel was never mentioned again, and Finn's dad disappeared.
It's like AT only bothers with lore 'sometimes' and that 'sometime' will almost certainly return the show to the status quo.

Rate each season:
>Season 1
7/10
>Season 2
9/10
>Season 3
9/10
>Season 4
8/10
>Season 5
6/10
>Season 6
4/10
>Season 7
3/10

For me, Sad Face made me give up.

Season 6 almost killed the show. Season 7 brought it back.

This or Sad Face

agreed

Kinda sucks that the stuff during time gap (Marcy and Simon, the abomination of sentient candy that would eventually produce PB, and generally all of Marciline's adventures over the centuries (like her battling vampires and shit, defending the remnants of humanity over the years) all happened long before Finn was born.

I'd prefer to follow Farm World Finn at this point, at least it didn't seem like that AU was stuck in a status quo.

when it was made for cartoon network. steven universe is going to follow the same fate: CN will slowly crush the creativity out of it because execs want everything to be fucking stupid hanna barbera style episodes where nothing happens.

Personally, never.
If anything, I'd maybe say that what really happened is that it stopped being outright amazing, at most every turn.

Fire and Ice is when I realized the writers didn't give a fuck

*Frost and Fire

Damn I always get the name of that episode wrong

too late for that, stuff has already happened.

I think it stopped being good towards the end of season 4, so I Remember You is the boundary for me. It's not a bad episode itself but it was the wrong direction for the show to try to take. Marceline and Ice King's characters were immediately ruined -- death-by-sympathy. After that they couldn't be fun because the writers were tiptoeing around them.

The Flame Princess arc was part of it too but that took about a season for that to nuclear. As has been said the decision to kill that relationship rather than work with it was a strong indication of the writers' inability to stick to a story. Plus gratuitous emotional abuse of Finn, which ruined his personality for ever.

That's where I gave up.

*a season to go nuclear
mangled it

anybody who didn't wanna ragequit there must be crazy.

Rebecca

>*Frost & Fire
That ampersand makes all the difference, user.

100% this

Flame Princess was kinda stupid to begin with but this was completely stupid

Alright hold on. I havnt watched a single AT episode, but after enjoying SU decided it was time to get around to it. Ive never heard it turns to shit though, i figured id have to struggle through the start before the apocalyptic back story started unfolding

>Rebecca
she made a show out of the worst parts of adventure time

Last episode of season 4 and the first two episodes of season 5 are when the show peaked. IT's been getting worse ever since.

Breezy, it will always be breezy. That's the exact moment I stopped following the show.

When they spent like 3 seasons playing around with shipping (including every ridiculous permutation of FinnxPB just to finally definitively prove it could not work) and then never actually concluded it, leaving literally dozens of hanging threads in the form of potential partners who were introduced once and never heard from again.

And then they keep bringing it back every few episodes as one-off flings which always end in failure for no particular reason. The next one they're pretty much going to have to just have him say 'nah sorry SpookySmokeDuchess I can't give you the D because status quo'.

when rebecca went on to make her own show

not kidding
muto also was one of the good things in the show, he's a great idea man, for leadership he's meh

and look how successful it is
wow

What didn't work in AT works in SU
because it actually commits to them.

Did AT ever follow through in a single arc?

This. I somehow tolerated all the bullshit until this fucking crap, it's probably the worst episode of a show I've followed that I've ever seen.

What's so bad about this episode again. I always hear it being flaunted around as the episode AT died

nope and that is exactly what is wrong with it.

everything inevitably returns to status quo of Finn and Jake on an Adventure, and all other elements bend to accommodate that, even in ways that break any possible suspension of disbelief or waste enormous potential (the best example of both being Jakes pups insta-age bullshit).

Even in Stakes nothing really came out of that. Marceline didn't develop and we didn't really learn anything new.

>id have to struggle through the start before the apocalyptic back story started unfolding
hint that's exactly where it goes to shit

the backstory was never meant to be revealed. it's the opposite of SU.

>It was Rebeca Sugar's plan to make Adventure Time great again by creating shitty steven universe and steal it's cancerous fanbase
Based Rebeca

Episode 2

Season 3 is where things started going downhill.

It's just been declining ever since. It should really end along with RS.

She wanted AT to be that show. It was bad because she was fighting the other dudes for control.

Most of the arcs that eventually blew up were her ideas. I think even the "Finn gets a robot arm" bit was from her.

There is never any single moment where a cartoon stops being good. Perhaps to the viewer, there is a moment of realization when it dawns to them that the show isn't what it used to be, but this is a subjective experience. In reality there are long, uneven declines in quality without clear endpoints

The pilot.

>nonsensical plot reasons mandate more shipping bullshit
>finn 'making out' with tons of different princesses
>finn shipped with a fucking bee.
>finn literally loses his virginity to LSP raping him
>finns arm grows back for no particular reason

Finn losing his arm had been the single most foreshadowed thing in the show and the one thing everyone assumed would JUST HAVE TO actually stick, in some form. Instead it's back to Status Quo (plus a tiny invisible spike in his palm and the grass-sword) within a few episodes. And both of those get lost later on as well.

It wusses out on a huge plot point and Finn gets molested but it's still his fault.

oh i got the grass-sword continuity messed up. whatever, the point is, Breezy poofing his arm back was the end of any hope for real continuity in the show.

The sad part is the writers defend the invisible thorn bullshit as real continuity even though it's a bare shadow of what should've happened. They have no clue what it means to stick with something.

This

Final Bullet

It had so much potential, but theyscrewed it up with completely BS episodes which at times, either felt like boring filler episodes or like the artists were just pulling shit out of their asses to compensate for their lack of creativity and good plot development.

B-b-but the show is so deep, what about sad face, and Jake the brick?

>B-b-but the show is so deep
Eh.

>what about sad face, and Jake the brick?
Those weren't necessarily "bad" episodes but because of the nature of the show I didn't mind and found them somewhat enjoyable, the problem was whenever it came to certain key episodes, when shit actually mattered they fucked up.

Around here

youtube.com/watch?v=QJnOftZRCfQ

>I think even the "Finn gets a robot arm" bit was from her.
Giving her too much credit. She did work on the episode where the arm thing was first thought up but was off the show by the time the show really started foreshadowing it and doing the thing where every alternate Finn had a missing/prosthetic arm.

It didn't "fall apart" it just progressively got less consistent with good episodes. A show isn't completely ruined by a series of poor episodes if it can come back to being mediocre or decent. That's not "falling apart". You're exaggerating and over-dramatizing, but you're an OP so I guess that's in your programming.

>7 so low
>worse than fucking 6, are you serious
It's easily on par with season 4, which you're overrating.

>At least SU attempted to set up

Key word, of out of your choosing, is attempted. SU attempts a lot but never really provides a thoroughly detailed explanation, so how the fuck is it any better? lol.

Same time when RS started getting bad, when it became more about lame romance then actual plot progression and/or enjoyable scenarios.

Betty.

Classic AT died right before FP was introduced, but was still pretty consistently good up until pretty much season 5 where the overall quality dropped and we started getting episodes that were shittier than anyone could have ever possibly imagined.

Breezy killed a huge part of the show because it showed that even when the writers would hype shit up and commit crazy changes, like cutting off the protagonists goddamn arm, they could and would just set everything back to normal when they felt like it. Though there were lots of signs of this before, Breezy really was the nail in the coffin just due to the extent of the bullshit they pulled.

Even so, show isn't as bad as people claim and season 7 is downright pretty good. It's just that the earlier seasons were so much better and the show's made fuck up after fuck up that people are rightfully on guard about it.

Frost & fire was when it started
The Orgalorg arc was when it was cemented, the writers/producers/execs are unable or just don't want to commit to anything for more than 3 episodes, every single trace of plot or world-building that the show had was resolved by turning it all back to the beginning and forgotten, after so many seasons I got tired and left

When they started adding "lore" and tried to make sense of it.

What specific plot points does steven universe set up but not go into detail about?

>don't want to commit to anything for more than 3 episodes, every single trace of plot or world-building that the show had was resolved by turning it all back to the beginning and forgotten
Exactly! It just killed the atmosphere imo.

complete agreement

>including every ridiculous permutation of FinnxPB just to finally definitively prove it could not work)
'Till the day I fucking die Though Finnceline is a better combo. Their characters mesh so well, then they made Marceline not hang around him.

In Steven Universe's defence, everything that has been set up doesn't get immediately dropped in favor of a new concept. As poorly explained as some lore concepts are, they are permanent and stack up.

>Orgalorg "arc"
It was two episodes

Top kek! Now that's what I call lazy writing on their part.

Remember, this was during an AT bomb. The arc lasted exactly 24 hours.

The episode where they jammed bringing Betty to Ooo and dealing with all the fallout into an 11 minute episode. So awful.

When they hire a new director or new writer every episode and that guy retcon everybody.

Flame Princess romance bullshit

I still wonder what the plan was at the start. All that just for a new sword? I guess they don't totally understand the concept of foreshadowing.

marceline
You can't ban what you can't see facist janitors

I wish every cartoon was 10 episodes long like over the garden wall so I could be miserable over them ending instead if being miserable over them continuing

I'm pretty sure it started out as just "man wouldn't it be cool if like, every alternate Finn had a funky arm dude?" and then they got the bright idea to make it happen to FinnPrime but they didn't give it anywhere near the attention it deserved.

Now I guess the thorn bullshit will amount to something during the last episode of the show, Yippee for that I guess.

bubblegum and marceline become canon?! POST THE FUCKING EPISODE LINK NOW!

>the thorn bullshit will amount to something during the last episode of the show
We already know what it does, it pops out and kills the bad guy, no matter how powerful.

The only hope for originality here is to not have a big fight at the end of the show.

It sure beats the fuck out of
>Look a meteorite
>Look your long los father
>Ok now say goodbye to your father
>Look princess bubblegum
>Look something happening
>Look the meteorite again and its doing something?
>Never mind it's doing nothing
>Look it's your father again, got any questions? Never mind here he goes again will we be r see him again?
>Look the dog is doing something funny
>Look the crazy old man is doing something embarrassing
>Now it's sad
>Now it's boring let's look at something else
>Hey it's the meteorite
>And your dad
>And a pinguin turned monster last episode
>Never mind the plot solved itself again
How? How is it possible than when they stop focusing on kids to do what they want it becomes even more immature, direction less and add riddled

Subjective opinion based in sophistry.

Didn't pop out during Stakes even though the vampires were "bad." It also didn't fuck up that ancient ice bitch that came outta nowhere either.

Also, speaking of Ice bitch. It seems like they're gonna hype up the princess' hidden powers or something. I wonder how that'll clash with Finn and Jake's hero status.

This is probably the only reason why SU is better than AT, because it didn't drop the important stuff an episode later/

You're kidding yourself, the reason user said "attempts" isn't to say that SU merely attempts to set things up, but because AT barely fucking does it to an adequate degree to the point where it DOESN'T seem like an attempt has ever been made.

obviously the grass sword is so smart it won't work when it senses the plot doesn't call for it to work

Top kek.

>Frost and Fire
I actually kind of liked that episode and Finn's bout of depression. It was how they handled the aftermath of Flame Princess's character that I wasn't a huge fan of.

They could have continued to expand on the conflict and/or relationship between Finn and FP, but instead she just ended up getting less and less screen-time after his awkward apology. Felt more like an adherence to the status quo than a progressive development.

I know people hate the idea of FinnxPeebs, but if she stayed 13 would people have hated it?

I Remember You was the episode where everything fell apart for me.

People actually really liked Finn x PB. As more ships were introduced however and the show moved away from it, popularity died down and shipping war bullshit gained traction. If the show went back to smooshing Finn and PB together and gravitated towards romance you can bet your bottom dollar Sup Forums would be behind it again.

Yes, that would have been a horrible idea for so many reasons. It was pretty cute though.

>instead she just ended up getting less and less screen-time
Yeah that was the point. To get rid of her. I could've accepted Finn and FP breaking up, but it was done in one episode like that because they didn't even want to bother to give them a realistic conflict to break up over. nah it had to be Finn suddenly losing his mind because MEN AMIRITE?