You’ve said several times that you think THE LORD OF THE RINGS will go down in cinema history

>You’ve said several times that you think THE LORD OF THE RINGS will go down in cinema history.

>CHRISTOPHER LEE: Yes, I said that on my second day of work on the film, when the executives from New Line Cinema arrived in New Zealand and asked me how I thought everything was going. I said, “You are creating cinema history!” I think everyone connected with the pictures has. These films will be seen for years and years, long after the HARRY POTTER films have—I won’t say faded away—but perhaps, have lost their appeal. It is the soul of Tolkien on the screen. This film is a modern miracle and it will be remembered for a long, long time. Professor Tokien had a vision for a very long period of time. Peter Jackson had a vision. And I have my own vision: I see Professor Tokien walking over to Peter Jackson, shaking his hand and saying, “well done my boy, well done.”

Was he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/article/2015/12/28/peter-jackson-remembers-christopher-lee/
youtube.com/watch?v=QWMFpxkGO_s
youtube.com/watch?v=IK8p7rBMAWE
youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY
youtube.com/watch?v=gVzOve8T39w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, it's the greatest film trilogy that exists.

Tolkien!!

Based Lee was always right

>These films will be seen for years and years, long after the HARRY POTTER films have—I won’t say faded away—but perhaps, have lost their appeal.

sir pleb

Wasnt he an OSS commando in WW2?

>I see Professor Tokien walking over to Peter Jackson, shaking his hand and saying, “well done my boy, well done.”
yes yes well done jackson well done

HOWEVER

I don't know how one can go about ranking the Harry Potter films, as all equally form one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

I miss him so much ;_;

LoTR? Yes. Hobbit? Fuck no.

almost. Christopher Lee should have been Gandalf, he wanted the role for decades and actually looks like Gandalf.

Of course someone as based as Christopher Lee would say that about the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

HP's is the new LOTR.

Is this the birth of an epic new meme?

>I see Professor Tokien walking over to Peter Jackson, shaking his hand and saying, “well done my boy, well done.”

Then Peter Jackson cuts him entirely out of the third film

well done my boy

pic related.
Lee is so talented he could have played Gandalf and Saruman,.

>LoTR films will always be overshadowed by GoT, capeshit and nu-star wars

Hobbit shitfest didn't help either

Feels bad man

everyone loved LotR, what are you talking about? It was a complete phenomenon.

Except Lee turned down the role because he kne he wasn't up to it physically.

he did some sort of spoopy shit, yes

Too many white people. The remake with a diverse cast will go down in cinema history as the greatest of all time.

Correct.

They loved it at the time, no-one gives a fuck now and in the age of "realistic" fantasy with GoT normies think it sucks while slurping down capeshit

using white mans money, artistry and studios, of course.

He didn't he said himself he really wanted to be gandalf but Jackson picked Ian

ew.com/article/2015/12/28/peter-jackson-remembers-christopher-lee/

Tolkien's first choice to play Gandalf was Lee so it's not surprising they used his likeness to draw gandalf before the film version came out

That is now forgotten. HP on the other hasn't been. Shit looks dated as fuck anyway, can't wait for a new adaptation.

Yeah, down in history as one of the most overrated shitty trilogies finally time.

white man sold all their studios to the chinese, so get ready for 5 more transformers movies and fast and furious

Literally the only stupid thing I can think of from the trilogy was legolas skateboarding on a shield

HP was a fad, LotR is timeless.

fucking edgelords taking a break from capeshit threads to shit on lotr and bait for (You)'s I don't know why I still come here.

and down an elephant trunk

That's not stupid, that was something that happened in those times.

Instead we got some fag who thinks God doesn't exist in Middle Earth. Solid performance though.

I agree. As a person who had read the book long before Fellowship came out, I was absolutely blown the fuck away.
I just thought that Jackson had brought my imagination to the real world. The LoTR films are just in that fine, fine area where it feels real, but you still have the experience of another world.

"Yes!"

I have a big issue with all the orcs going down in one hit, even the big badass uruk hai gets hit once and die

No one could have played Saruman better than Lee though

No it isn't. The "magic school/magic in real world/learning about magic world" setting is the new LOTR. That old fart's story is outdated and played to death and the movie is unwatchable, midget actors are too obvious and the effects are nigerian tier.

LotR doesn't lend itself as well to deep political commentary applicable even today like Harry Potter does, so it will inevitably be left by the wayside

To be fair there is quite a few moments in Fellowship that are pretty stupid. Most of them involving Merry & Pippin.

I'm talking like 80s titty comedy stupid, complete with Gandalf rolling his eyes and making a "those guys" face.

could've been worse, the studio's first choice was sean connery

I think it was good but most people at this point agree it needs a reboot. Shake things up a little. Get a fresh new and young cast and change the soundtrack to a mix of modern pop and classic rock. The Hobbit was a step in the right direction. The base script is good but modern CGI would allow us to add so much more to the story that Tolkien couldn't even imagine.

glad they got made before the kikes started making everyone niggers

there's no way you're white or male

keked and cheked

>The LoTR films are just in that fine, fine area where it feels real, but you still have the experience of another world.
This so much. It's also partly why I dislike the Hobbit films so much. It looks like everyone is wearing plastic LARPing armors and shit straight out of a Wacraft cosplay competition.

that's why the Sup Forums faggots are shitting this thread up

STOP

STOP IT

this

Boyega as Aragorn
>I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My king.
;_;

youtube.com/watch?v=QWMFpxkGO_s

>no one will EVER put this much effort into a large film again

HP came out BEFORE LotR

I'm no fan but Nolan certainly would for the right project

>Stephen King
Who?

LoTR is a relic of its times and would never have been made today in that condition. It captures that time period perfectly when Hollywood was willing to experiment and put faith in its creators. Now it's all cinematic universes back and forth in highly corporatized environments that reduces the director to a mere grunt worker.

Peter Jackson showed us the best of high budget cinema with his trilogy. On that point Lee was right.

>Sean Connery turned it down because he didn't "get it"
>regrets it and thinks it was one of his biggest mistakes as an actor

How would Sean Connery as Gandalf have worked out?

That was just subtle enough to draw me in, well done friend.

fpbp

youtube.com/watch?v=IK8p7rBMAWE

>A would have folled you, mah brother. Mah cap'n. Mah keeng.

True. Needs more POC actors/actresses in it as well. It was on the wrong side of history and will be less and less popular as time goes on because people will see how CIS gender/white male focused the movie is.

>Muh Brotha, Muh Nigga. Muh Fugga.

Yeah, he corrected Jackson on what someone getting stabbed in the back would sound like. He also witnessed the last public execution in France, and was arguably the inspiration for Bond. Got to be Saruman, a Bond villain, Dracula, Lord Summerisle, lived to be over 90 and sung in a metal album about Charlemagne. If you can even live a tenth of the life Christopher Lee lived, you've done well.

Yes. The house of Bëor is described as "dark" and brown-eyed. That's right folks, 1/3 of Numenoereans were black.

>not kang
literally one fucking job and completely fucked it up that is honestly just embaraassing jesus christ dude

Ian Fleming was his own inspiration for Bond

No, just no.

>tfw Lee was a huge LOTR fan from way back
>Met tolkien once at a dinner
>Tolkien tells him he would make a great Gandalf
>spaghetti everywhere
Based Lee.

this plus some diversity and more quips and pop culture references

>british blacks talk the same as american ones

come on son

Uhhhh he was also COUNT DOOKU.
Can't believe you forgot that

Something is definitely new.

Very nice.

Intentionally ignoring isn't the same as forgetting

It very muches does, just not the sort of commentary retarded Sup Forums babies and tumblrinas are capable of doing.

Are you really going to take that b8?

I'm sorre, I've spent quite some time trying to find a thread that both interests me and doesn't have any Sup Forums b8 in it and I was caught by surprise by his keikaku

Why does everyone hate Harry Potter so much?

Fuck you.

it's young adult literature which makes it an easy target. But while not having anything original, it's polished to a shine which provides its staying power. Rowling's frantic cultural Marxist activism shouldn't take away from a very entertaining series

Just watched it again last weekend. Holds up the same as the first time. Perfect.

>Peter, do you have any idea what sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back? Because I do."

not really, I can see why he thought that because FotR is an amazing film but the others just don't hold up. even then fantasy is never going to be that important in the history of cinema

The Hobbit also sort of ruined their legacy by being downright dreadful

you could even say

she has no discernable talent

couldnt you harold

The third film really fucked some things up. Like the Minas Tirith siege where you get all this beautiful build up only to have the fucking ghosts come in and mop everything up or the 12 endings.

Kek, Christopher Lee was fucking based.
youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY

Yeah. Lord of the Rings is the pinnacle of adapting a fantasy story to the big screen.

I almost can't believe that it happened and worked so well.

Not that user but he was probably the best character in those shitty movies.

>deep politcal commentary
>HP's bad guy is Hitler if he was a wizard
That REALLY makes me think

Palpatine was also good. I think TFA is the only star wars without an entertaining villain.

Absolutely correct.

In hindsight its not only a miracle these got made but that they were made by a cast & crew with that much raw talent and dedication.

>Director with VFX background who can actually direct a scene
>Director hasn't gone full retard in his career yet (see: Hobbit shit films)
>A-list actors in all roles or if not A-list, top-tier talent
>Massive practical effects budget spent wisely on items created by true craftsmen
>CGI utilized so well it still (mostly) holds up despite the age of those films vis where the tech was at the time
>Producers willing to allow 3 films to be shot back-to-back without a pause to "test" the success of the franchise.
>Industry not yet then obsessed with """universes""" allowing the source material to stand on its own
>Directors Cuts of all 3 films worth owning if you're a fan
>Physical media releases contain GOAT-tier commentary/content as well as high quality pack-ins
>Enjoyable to watch as a fun film experience, some actual craft for the critics to enjoy as well

Holy fuck, just typing that off the top of my head I'm fucking astounded all over again now. Truly special, even if you hate Tolkien/LoTR.

Even Fellowship has a couple of questionable creative decisions, they just got even worse in the sequels:
>Frodo is reduced to a traumatized, useless load
>ambiguously magical scenes like Galadriel's temptation are adapted without any sort of subtletly
>Aragorn doesn't want to be king because he needs a character arc
>stupid "Elves are racist against Men but they get better" plotline
>Merry, Pippin and Gimli become comic reliefs

I mean, all of these are in the category of NOT MUH bitching and the movies are still an achievement, but even Fellowship isn't the perfect adaptation Sup Forums thinks it is.

I see your FIVE THOUSAND SAXON MEN
and raise you a Metal Christmas carol
youtube.com/watch?v=gVzOve8T39w

When I play D&D, I always get the same feeling I get while watching Fellowship of the Ring. It is this weird feeling of perfect immersion and happiness.

I still dislike how utterly useless the soldiers of Gondor are shown in Return of the King, but otherwise yeah.

>D&D
>perfect immersion
kek