Scott Snyder responds to fan criticism of his treatment of Robin

bleedingcool.com/2016/08/16/why-does-scott-snyder-doesnt-write-damian-wayne-much/

>Bruce is saying he's trying something better than the approach he had before. not that duke is better than robin! duke WAS a robin already in W.A.R. Bruce has realized (across the books) that he needs full allies, not a sidekick. Instead of training Duke to be his side-man, he's training him to be his own hero As he did with each Robin before Duke when he or she was ready to move on. He's saying, I'm altering my thinking - I need full grown heroes beside me. Damian has made him proud. Tim, Dick, all of them. He's tweaking the program to be more about his trainee figuring out who he/she is as a hero in full than training them at his side

Sounds like splitting hairs to me.
Did he respond to the much larger fan criticism that the Batfamily is too large as it is?

Of course he didn't.

I know that everyone on Sup Forums loves to say that (and we have threads on it at least once a week) But I think that the Bat family was perfect in 2011, and the only reason people say it's too big now is because it's been massively mishandled since the New 52.

That was pretty obvious but I am not surprised that Robin-fags got so triggered.

And these people with such poor reading comprehension have the courage to criticize Snyder's writing and his run.
Is pretty hilarious in a sad way.

Why should he? Did Morrison had to answer to the fans when he made Batman Inc. or decided to create yet another Robin?

what did everyone think of the first ASB issue?

He's probably smart not to. A new robin, new ally or protege every once in a while keeps the formula rotating instead of stale, and while people may grumble, it's probably better to keep doing that than rest on your laurels and just use characters people have seen before again. The side effect of that is that the "family" gets bigger and bigger, but the thing is, you can bring those guys in or out as needed, it's not like they all have to hang around the Batcave all the time.

>Did Morrison had to answer
It's have not had.
And yes, Batman Inc and Damien were held to similar criticism.

Weren't people pissed at Morrison because Tim got replaced?

>it's probably better to keep doing that than rest on your laurels and just use characters people have seen before again.

But why? 90% of the most popular characters are the ones that have been around for ages. People still want to read about them, there's no need to change it.

People were rolling their eyes at the idea of a league of Batmans all around the world.

Absolutely.

They weren't happy either when Damian beat the shit out of Tim.

I honestly really disliked it. Much worse than what Snyder usually puts out; at least in the main title he usually starts out strong.

I agree. If we had great Batfamily stories, the complaints about its size would be much less frequent and vitriolic. But that's what happens when you place someone who hates the family as the lead writer, I suppose.

>Why should he? Did Morrison had to answer to the fans when he made Batman Inc. or decided to create yet another Robin?
Batman Inc at least means not all of them have to be in Gotham

It was alright. Not sure where he's going with this, and it has become one of those "where the hell does this fit in with the other Batman comics" comic. But it was good enough.

you get the best selling Batman's run in ages and one of the most critically acclaimed? looks like a good idea then

>nightwing
>globetrotting adventure
>Batgirl
>off in china
>Tim
>soon to be dead
the newbies and jason are the only ones in gotham for now

Shitty characterizations across the board, Snyder's patented overblown monologues and wiki dumps in full effect, the Duke push is a minor nuisance in comparison to all the other shitty things about the book. JRJR's art looked good though which is a nice change, I like his Two-Face.

>tfw I will still probably end up reading it for all the different artists who've signed on to do an issue/arc

They are all coming back for the Monster arc

>Orpheus
>Onyx
>Batwing
>The other Batwing
>Azrael

Black people who aren't Killer Croc don't tend to last long in Gotham. Will Duke finally be the one to stick?

better than king's first 2 issues desu senpai

Yeah, if you're a DC exec maybe. If you actually like reading comics, not so much.

You realize most of those people went away because people were like "The Bat-Family's too big as it is" just like people are doing now, right?

Also, neither of the Batwings actually in Gotham. They were in Africaland or wherever. I don't read comics and I don't do geography.

>Tim
>soon to be dead

It's really obvious that Rich was either completely wrong, or his anonymous source that he met at a convention bar was referring to the Tim in the Beyondverse. Tynion is the biggest 90sfag in the world, and has probably been dying to write Tim along with Cass and Steph for ages. He's not going to kill him off.

If he hates Batman's family so much why does Snyder want to keep writing Batman?
Seriously, he doesn't like Damian, Dick (he even had Bruce punch him), Todd, Drake, Babs, or Alfred (seriously? Having Al shoot Bruce with a missle? Really?) or Batwing (tho tbqf no one cares about him anymore).

So why does he write Batman so much?

Why not try to write Swamp-Thing or Superman again? I think the higher-ups would let him.

I know it's my fault, but I never read any of the press leading up to it's release; I assumed it was just a continuation of Jim Lee's ASBR.

So, yeah, I'm kinda bummed. It's whatever so far.

>Also, neither of the Batwings actually in Gotham. They were in Africaland or wherever. I don't read comics and I don't do geography.
the second one was Lucius Fox's son Luke

He likes his OCs, so he just writes Harper and Duke into the roles of Batman's partners rather than any of the older characters.

You know those people that don't read comics but keep posting their ideas for a Batman/Superman/etc movie or some sort of redesign/rebooted origin? That's Scott Snyder. He watched the movies and that's the kind of Batman he likes and wants to write. That's why he hates the family so much, he still thinks of Robin and Batgirl as the versions from the 90s movies.

I know this will sound strange to people here because they don't actually like Batman but only care about the OC around him and Grayson's fanservice, but you can have great stories with Batman and other iconic characters like Alfred, Gordon etc. without needing the bloated bat-family around

Batman DOES need a Robin Snyder, you dumb ugly faggot.

Literally every time he tries to go without one he goes nuts and starts believing that he's a real IRL bat creature.

>Dick (he even had Bruce punch him)

Snyder was a top tier Dickbats writer, tho.

he just needs a partner. which he has. it doesn't need to be a sidekick

So why didn't Snyder write one?

It is possible to write a good Batman arc without bringing in the Bat family, but Snyder didn't write one.

But he's fucking using Duke so obviously he's not trying to do that. I wouldn't call Duke an iconic character, user.

I thought it was kind of fun. Still not "good" but Snyder doesn't seem to be taking himself as seriously as he usually does.

I'm not sure my nigga, covers and solicits like these are very suggestive.

>"Rise Of The Batmen" part 7! This epic concludes with a battle against the Colony that will change Batman's world forever-and in a way you'd never expect! Whether they win or lose, they've already lost...

zero year was pretty good

Man, Duke's new costume is really ugly.

>everyone complains about Snyder's characters that aren't worse than Cass, Steph or the other many human characters when first introduced
>no one says a thing about King introducing Superman-level characters in Gotham and planning to turn Gotham Girl into a regular character

the bias is real

>Dick (he even had Bruce punch him)
You know King made Bruce out to be an asshole in Nightwing issue, must mean he hates Bruce.
I know this is Sup Forums and most of you are as anti Snyder because various degrees of not muh but goddamn some of the times you sound like absolute retards.

Because they're kind of interesting so far.

Harper was always annoying, and Duke is just "My Totally Original Character Blobin".

>Because they're kind of interesting so far.
>crazy superman
>interesting
god the bias is real

This. Shilling Dick as the nice one and Bruce as the "asshole" has been a meme since the Dixon era

King isn't trying to replace a character people already like with a shitty OC

Didn't bruce only punch him to get a transmitter or something out of one of dick's teeth?

Oh hey remember that time Geoff Johns didn't let Green Arrow join the Justice League? Damn Johns hates Green Arrow.
Oh and that time Damian beat the shit out of Tim in Morrison's Batman, damn why does Morrison hate Tim?

Who did Snyder replace? And don't say Robin because they clearly moved Damian away so they could milk his popularity with 3 different books

neither is snyder you fucking retard

but Johns does hate heroes without superpowers

Not yet. But King is also the guy that created Kalista that replaced OG members of Omega Men or created Vision. You don't know what he'll end up doing 2 years from now.

Green Arrow went on to join the JLA, Johns has said he'll write Ollie like Adams. He's been shilling GA/Canary and shitting on Arrow. Fucking frogposter.

You do realise that user was making fun of reactionaries right

Snyder is trying to push his character.

The way DC changed their rules for rights to characters means that legacy characters (a new Robin) are owned by the creator of the character the legacy belongs to. So if you make a new Robin, even if it's a fast-talking Hispanic speedster, you don't own it.

Snyder is trying to get around that by introducing Bluebird and Blackbird. Unfortunately (for him) Harper didn't take off so he's trying to push Duke.

Not anymore, his push failed. Damian was too popular to be replaced

>Snyder is trying to get around that by introducing Bluebird and Blackbird.
Factually incorrect since he wanted to make Duke a Robin but WB put down the law.
>Unfortunately (for him) Harper didn't take off so he's trying to push Duke.
Also incorrect kind of, he never seemed that interested in Harper, she's very much Tynion's waifu.

It'd be like trying to replace Tim in the mid 90s, at the height of his popularity.

It was a stupid move, Damian's been Robin since 2009, steadily built up a fanbase. Trying to give him a new partner so soon was basically just shooting himself in the foot.

It was almost as stupid as Steph as Robin.

Harper was only created because editorial didn't let him use Cass

Also Harper is going to be in Tec in the near future

So Snyder is DC Slott?

The stupidest thing about Steph as Robin was that they didn't even give her a chance with those whopping two issues. Fucking Alfred's probably been Robin for more issues than that.

>It was almost as stupid as Steph as Robin.
Steph was only Robin because they were going to kill her off and someone (I actually forget exactly who) wanted to give her at least one good thing before they did.

>harper will be in the tec

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

>picking it up in the first place

Oh yeah Damian was really fucking hated when he debuted and when people heard he was going to be Robin they went full retard.

The person who did the Batman and Sons fancomic even refuse to include him in her web comic.

No, Harper's story just ran through in the Eternal books and she's taking a break. If he wanted, he could write a bluebird solo if he wanted, he just doesn't want to. He could literally write any book he wants at this point and it would sell.

Batfam fags are cancer anyway.

MUH ROBIN and MUH BATGIRL all day

yeah, the hate happens with every new character
give it time and some good story and people will stop hating Harper too

And then they read Batman & Robin and suddenly Damian was beloved by all.

yeah, Morrison is a fag

I will only stop hating Harper if she gets rid of that ugly fucking hair.

To be fair Morrison introduced him in a way that served his overall story better but not in a way that readers could connect to him. Not that the latter wouldn't result in full retardation either. I mean it's happening with Duke. Batfags are just as autistic as Lanternfags.

I think I like Tynion now
just Batwoman fucking sucks and is dragging Detective Comics down

Sounds Reasonable.

>Also incorrect kind of, he never seemed that interested in Harper, she's very much Tynion's waifu.

>[Snyder] never seems that interested in Harper

>Harper was given an entire, extra-long epilogue issue of Batman after Court of Owls

It adds to the Bat-family bloat by bringing in more people.

>Damian was beloved by all.
Not to this day. And Tomasi's B&R helped Damian's popularity a lot too because for most readers he was their first Robin.

Tec feels more like a not great Outsiders book to me.

>hating her hottest feature

How can people have such horrible opinions

Hyperbole aside, yes, Tomasi did a great job with Damian and in general is pretty good at writing kid sidekicks, as seen with the new Superboy.

If Duke's supposed to be his own hero, why is he dressed like Batman Lite
What an ugly fucking suit

It makes her look like an ugly dyke, especially with the piercings.

Your point? That was her introduction retard and after that she was mostly contained in Eternals. Meanwhile Duke showed up in major roles in Endgame and Superheavy, was introduced in Zero Year.

>people actually find Harper attractive

WHATS THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE. Anyone who partners with Batman is a sidekick by default. Even Superman

This triggers the superfags

>cherrypicking

Scott Snyder was sensible and reasonable.

Editors told him that they wanted BATMAN to be a solo book about Bruce Wayne.
Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason were already mining the Bruce + Damian dynamic in BATMAN AND ROBIN.
Scott Snyder the few times that he included Damian in BATMAN he wrote the character well.
Scott Snyder said that he puts a lot of himself in his stories as in self-inserting himself as Bruce Wayne.
Scott Snyder said that he never felt comfortable writing Damian, who was 10, because he had a son who was 9, and since he self-insert himself as Bruce it would be like writing himself having to deal with his son getting hurt.
Batman in ALL-STAR BATMAN wants Duke Thomas to be a new hero and not a side-kick, because he already has Damian who's making him proud as Robin.

What's wrong with any of that?

Superman would be okay with being the sidekick though.

As long as Bruce is happy.

>What's wrong with any of that?

Well, Duke is black.

If his Batman is supposedly solo, why even introduce not-Robin"?

Scott Snyder doesn't hate the Bat-Family. Heck, he's more of a Dick fan than Bruce fan. The man himself said so. He even writes a better Dick than he ever wrote a good Bruce.

It's that the editors told him that BATMAN was a solo book.
Dick had NIGHTWING.
Barbara had BATGIRL
Jason had RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS
Tim had TEEN TITANS.
Damian had BATMAN AND ROBIN.

If he had Damian constantly in BATMAN he'd be stepping all over Tomasi and Gleason's plans for BATMAN AND ROBIN. It was be a mess editorially.

This.

It's all bullshit. He wanted to leave a permanent mark on the mythos and probably asked editorial if he could make Duke Robin and they said no because Damian is still popular.

There's nothing bad about introducing new characters. Big 2 comics would actually be pretty stale if no creator ever created anything new. But Snyder's been doing it incredibly poorly. King's OCs fulfill unique roles and they serve a purpose in the stories he tells. Meanwhile, Snyder's been making OCs that he pretends are a big deal but proceed to do next to nothing with and instead dump on other creators for the poor suckers to try to make interesting. And what little role he has given them so far in the years he's had them don't seem like they can't be fulfilled by another established character (his Duke is pretty much a Tim clone). There doesn't seem to be any reason he created Harper and Duke other than just for the sake of creating a new character.

Because ALL-STAR BATMAN is a new book where Batman will showcase a new "hero" and big "villain" each arc.

If you two weren't fucking retards would see that i was talking in past tense, as in BATMAN (2011-2015).

Except he created Duke while on the main Batman title not just now with All-Star Batman.

Except Snyder began shilling Duke long before ASB

I think Batwoman's great.

It's just that Tynion's Batwoman fucking sucks.
Drags down the book and shits on the character.

I like the metacommentary of a Kane trying to steal Batman's gimmick.
It really reflect what DC tried to do with the whole Batwoman idea and introduction.
At least now they admitted she is a derivative character instead of acting as if she was a totally new and original character that happened to be a Bat-themed hero in Gotham.