Why is Transformers anime so fucking bad compared to Western Transformers shows?

Why is Transformers anime so fucking bad compared to Western Transformers shows?

Also, Transformers thread...what was your favorite TF show? Favorite version of TF in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

tfwiki.net/wiki/Iwanami_Yoshikazu
tfwiki.net/wiki/Scrash_(OC)
tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_United_EX
tfwiki.net/wiki/Otoboto_family
tfwiki.net/wiki/From_the_Cybertron_Satellite,_Transformers_Division
youtu.be/w5I4xr9Zu78
adventuresinpoortaste.com/2012/04/19/japanese-dubbing-of-american-transformers-cartoons-what-you-may-not-know/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because in Japan TF is a franchise aimed at babies, literally.

I liked armada, the sequels that continued after it, not so much.

>RID
>Bad

>RID
>Armada
>Worse than the western shows

It was bad...it was. You could argue that it was so bad it was good in a comical way, or that the toyline was good (which it was, BW style toys with true vehicle mods and repaints of g1/2 figures, I loved it), but the show was bad.

They were.

Headmasters - BORING.

RID - Bland at best, anime-infused at worse

Armada - Good ideas, terrible execution

Energon - God no

Cybertron - doesn't work as a part of the Unicron trilogy, generally uninteresting

Masterforce at least has its charms.

Masterforce and Victory are both brilliant, and should be required viewing.

Because anime uses a very specific set of tropes that are very hard to apply to giant alien robots but they try anyway, because all anime is the same and Japan has no creativity.

Because Nipps are unable to write robot as character and rely on humans to carry the plot while the robots just fight.

Also sentient robots are regarded as something for retarded children.

aren't some new TF issues due out today?

TAAO #3 and MTMTE #56

Still haven't dropped in the Win-O thread. Patiently awaiting storytime.

To me, the humans were always the worst part. Possibly the worst was kicker. Constantly threw shot fits and picked on iron sides and no one calls him out for his crap. First time I really wanted to stick a characters head into a blender.

I liked Masterforce, but let's not kid ourselves, it's a fucking disaster for many reasons.

If you want, I can even post them later.

I can't name a single human pal in transformers that didn't grate on my nerves.

Especially in IDW, they're scum. I'm convinced IDW Spike came out of the dreams of people who grew up hating him in G1.

Please do, as I quite enjoyed it, and as any TF fan knows enjoying things is not allowed.

actually the japanese version of RiD is better than the english version, the jokes have more sense and the bots have more personallity and that Magnus is called Mag-chan just makes my day

Cybertron is great.

The only thing good about Robots in Disguise was the humor in Saban's dub.

Watch subbed Car Robots, the original Japanese version and prepare to be bored to fucking tears.

He was unintentionally made unsympathetic but then they decided fuck it lets just go all out with him being a dick.

I loved the latin version of Headmasters because the VA just say whatever came to their minds and was hillarious. Uncle Sixshot!, Scorponok saying that he will conquer Argentina and making some Chavo del 8 references all the time

IDW Spike represents a transformers fan's feelings on humans

They exist only to get in the way, they're the worst people you'll ever come across, and we'd be better off without them.

>Why is Transformers anime so fucking bad compared to Western Transformers shows?

If you want to see something REALLY awful, you should see how the Japanese dub the Western Transformers shows.

Literal 4Kids quality editing, rescripting and dumbing down.

Basically this, yeah. In GLORIOUS NIPPON Transformers is schlocky shonen (which is to say, dragonball audience aimed) but with less affection for the property.

Also shonen into humor is generally fucking dreadful. It's always really forced and awkward. Not sure why, I mean, Goku driving a car was fantastic. Why couldn't you do Goku driving a transforming car?

Even the Japanese hate the japanese dub of Beast Wars.

What's that series/comic/mangu where Humans were (literraly) the core of the transformers i mean they were inside the transformer
??

Masterforce

Headmasters, Targetmasters, Power Masters, Action masters, all stupid ideas.

Masterforce.

The show is alright if you try and look at it as an alternate universe story.

As a continuation of the American cartoon and Headmasters, it makes no sense (the setting is supposed to be the future, but it's clearly intended to be the contemporary 80s). Even in a vacuum a lot of it is never explained, like why Ginrai's transector looks like Optimus Prime and exactly wtf Devil Z was and what he had to do with anything.

They put together a bunch of straight to video clip shows just to try and fit the show back into Transformers continuity.

This is what is meant by it being a "mess". On it's own, it's actually kind of interesting; certainly compared to other Japanese Transformers shows. As part of any sort of continuity, it's nonsense.

It's almost brilliant.

>If you want to see something REALLY awful, you should see how the Japanese dub the Western Transformers shows.
>Even the Japanese hate the japanese dub of Beast Wars.

Isn't the hideously awful dubbing of all American Transformers shows from Beast Wars thr Prime the fault of this guy?

>tfwiki.net/wiki/Iwanami_Yoshikazu

With the exception of turning Airachnid into a horny child molester, all his dubbing changes were pretty terrible. Like, American One Piece levels of terrible.

That sounds fun!!

Reminds me of the latinamerican version of RID I loved the jokes!

>and as any TF fan knows enjoying things is not allowed.

It's not that, Masterforce had a tendency to introduce many cool concepts, or characters, then do nothing with them. Among it's problems:

-Overuse of slow-mo
-Headmaster Jr's are mentioned as being more powerful than the Pretenders, but that never happens in the show.
-The special powers of the Godmasters are rarely used. The show shows us their special regeneration the most, but even that is ignored around God Ginrai's introduction. The only character that kept using those powers until the end was God Ginrai with his special attacks.
-Sixknight being introduced, then doing almost nothing with him.
-Ginrai, and the Headmaster Jr's get most of the spotlight, while the Pretenders almost vanish, and the other Autobot Godmasters almost do nothing for the whole show.
-Ginrai is pushed as the strongest fighter of the Autobots, to the point that the show makes it seem like the rest of them can't do anything without him (really noticeable in the last episodes).
-All the Headmaster Jr's had special abilities they gained from their daily lives, but they almost never display this as Transformers (Minerva dance battles one time, and that's it). Cancer knew martial arts, Bullhorn was very strong, Minerva could dance, Cab was very agile, etc...
-The conflicting explanations for the Godmasters every other episode.
-We never really know what the hell Devil Z is.
-And while this shows up in every show ever, the power levels were really inconsistent (made sense sometimes, but not always).

If your answer is anything other than Beast Wars, please kill yourself.

>-We never really know what the hell Devil Z is.
Like with ViolenJiger, you just have to know to stay away

Jiger and Devil Z in IDW when?

I know it's a little bit off topic but why are the nips so incapable of writing anything other than humans? For example, there are literally no Sci-fi anime that feature aliens as major characters, and if they are they're never designed to look like aliens and instead look like humans with some quirk like a silly quirk in their hair, pupils, etc.
Why are they so uncreative and not tired of this shit already?

Verity and hunter are goat tho

Because unlike the west who tends to anthropomorphize everything from animals to chairs and treat them like characters Nipps are unable to do that. They are just unable to comprehend that anything can be living other than humans. I think it has something to do with religion and life force or something I don't know like how humans have souls that are able to be individualistic but other things also have souls that only come alive when they are handled by a human soul or something I don't know I forgot about the spiritual japanese shit.

Tl;dl if it's not human it's not and can't be a character for them.

Armada was crap too. The concepts weren't too bad but the execution was awful.

Verity is literally the only human I've ever cared about in Transformers. I liked Hunter too but he's 6 feet under thanks to the collective effort of Sunstreaker, Bombshell, and Sideswipe.
In that exact order too.

No story time ove the new comics?

>They are just unable to comprehend that anything can be living other than humans

Most Japanese are reluctant to recognize foreigners as human beings, so it isn't surprising they can't anthropomorphize animals and objects (and yet Disney films are financially successful in Japan, probably just because of their novelty, I guess).

>>-We never really know what the hell Devil Z is.
>Like with ViolenJiger, you just have to know to stay away

And Dark Nova. And Scrash.

The backend of Japanese G1 media is full of primary antagonists who are spectral and nebulous with no clear origins or motivations.

Violen Jigar actually has the most comprehensible background of all those villains. Dark Nova is just like... a floating head who hates the Autobots... and literally nothing else is ever said about him.

You guys sound so fucking dumb, unless you know Japanese it's impossible to say what you're saying. You're making incredibly wide reaching generalizations based on content you've come across translated into english.

Besides there's Hamtaro.

>Most Japanese are reluctant to recognize foreigners as human beings

>With the exception of turning Airachnid into a horny child molester

TELL ME MOOOOOOOOOORE!

Car Robots and Beast Wars II were fucking great.

AEC trilogy was fucking trash though.

I think some recent info gave us a good idea of what Scrash was, which is more than I can say for Devil Z.

Just have them being all different manifestation the same thing: Unicron.
Like, his shadow, footprints in reality or parts of him summoned through dark magic(makon power)

I don't even know Scrash

>You're making incredibly wide reaching generalizations based on content you've come across translated into english.
How is making a clear observation of something seriously lacking in manga, anime, and light novels a "wide reaching generalization"? Seriously, direct me to multiple examples of those three mediums featuring ACTUAL aliens in major roles during these recent years and I'll stand corrected.

>I think some recent info gave us a good idea of what Scrash was

Believe it or not, the Power Core Combiners text stories published in Japan were written by an American (who works in Japan).

So you can't really credit the Japanese for giving Scrash a back story; an American on a working visa had to do it for them.

Friendly reminder Japanese Airachnid is voiced by Satsuki Kiryuin.

He's from Operation Combination.

tfwiki.net/wiki/Scrash_(OC)

He was originally thought to be the Japanese equivalent to Skyquake (from the Predators), but he was used in the Power Core Combiners fiction Japan made, and revealed what the really was.

>For example, there are literally no Sci-fi anime that feature aliens as major characters

wrong

>and if they are they're never designed to look like aliens and instead look like humans with some quirk like a silly quirk in their hair, pupils, etc.

western fiction is just as guilty of that

This is wrong, Japanese spirituality believes that everything in the world has a spirit and sentient quality, including trees, rocks, artificial objects.

Japanese fiction can be more welcoming of robot characters than western fiction. Mecha and robots are seen as heroes and comrades compared to in the west that predominantly sees artificial intelligence and AI as a threat to society or part of a Faustian bargain.

Do some fucking research. I don't even like most modern anime and I know more than you do.

>but he was used in the Power Core Combiners fiction
>Japan made

Again, they had to import an American writer to pen the United EX stories.

>tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_United_EX

>an ongoing storyline was crafted to accompany it written by Andrew Hall

You can't credit the Japanese with writing their own back stories. If it were up to them, everyone would still be vague and hollow.

It's more to do with the business & merchandise driven setup of Japanese animation. It goes out to children, in a much smaller population than the USA and all english language speaking territories. Which means that the Ad revenue for those time slots is worth less money than the american ones. So they have less freedom to make good fiction, because they need to prioritise shilling the toys (Bandai being an exception because of their massive piles of gundam model kit gold).

Consequently japanese childrens cartoons largely focus on youth worship and having characters that japanese children can identify with to sell toys.

Bad guys sold poorly during G1 in japan, so they phased them out. Transformers zone introduced violen jiger and re-used past baddies as the demon generals so they didn't have to make bad guy toys they couldn't sell. Zone had a grand total of 2 decepticon releases and one of them was metro-titan, the other was a set of action masters designed to fit his play pattern.

>wrong
Aliens drawn exactly like humans down to the skin color can barely be called aliens.
>western fiction is just as guilty of that
Nowhere as guilty.

I like how the best Transformers artist Japan has to offer (Hidetsugu Yoshioka) draws in a distinctly Western art style (he even does his comics in left-to-right format).

Even their best artist knows that Japanese Transformers aesthetics and storytelling suck ass.

Fafner
Gundam 00
Space Dandy
Macross Frontier
Bubuki Buranki
Rolling Girls
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Oh My Sweet Alien
Captain Earth
YuYuYu
Samurai Flamenco

>Because in Japan TF is a franchise aimed at babies, literally.

This.

The Japanese versions of Animated and Prime actually had live action segments attached to them where actors taught children how to play with and transform their toys.

>tfwiki.net/wiki/Otoboto_family
>tfwiki.net/wiki/From_the_Cybertron_Satellite,_Transformers_Division

In Japan, Transformers is exclusively targeted at very small children. All domestic media is written for them and all imported Western media is simplified for them.

>Mecha and robots are seen as heroes and comrades compared to in the west that predominantly sees artificial intelligence and AI as a threat to society or part of a Faustian bargain.

So why is every sentient robot anime and manga fucking garbage that focuses on humans and not on robots?

>all imported Western media is simplified for them

Didn't the Japanese dub of the G1 cartoon contain non-stop play-by-play narration explaining everything happening on screen in real time so the kids watching could follow along?

There's simplifying a show so it appeals to younger viewers and then there's... THAT.

Most of the Brave series, Hikarian, Arpeggio of Blue Steel are series that focus mostly on the robots/AI off the top of my head. There's also lesser-known manga series about sentient robots that you're definitely not familiar with. Five Star Stories is full of artificially-created beings for example that are considered main characters. There's also plenty of games that'll focus a lot of attention on robot characters.

I don't really see why you want me to do your homework for you, though.

What is Tetsuwan Atom

The only two of those series that actually have aliens (that look like aliens) placed in major roles and not enemies to conquer nor accessories to the protagonist are Space Dandy and Oh my sweet alien. Another anime I would have added is DBZ.

I never watched Yuyuyu so I have no say there .

Doesn't Cyborg 009,Kikaider and Astroboy go against that? Or do they not count because they look human or used to be human?

>these don't count because of a bunch of conditions I'm going to ignore in western properties

fucking kill yourself.

Western media does this when importing Japanese franchises aswell. ("Last time on dragonball Z")

Western comics and cartoons used to be very guilty of having to reintroduce concepts and reference back issues/episodes to be accessible to new readers. This seems to be largely phasing out, now that wikis exist.

>How is making a clear observation of something seriously lacking in manga, anime, and light novels

My argument is that considering most manga,novels and old anime isn't translated into english it's impossible to make such statement.

Now maybe you're right, maybe out the 1000's of manga,anime and novels there's no literally major anthropomorphized/actual alien characters that exist. Maybe I dunno.

I know Birdy the Mighty has side alien characters, including her commander that looks like an insect but most aliens character hide their appearance as humans because the series takes place primarily on Earth.

>during these recent years

oh fuck off, you post made it seem like they didn't exist period

>Didn't the Japanese dub of the G1 cartoon contain non-stop play-by-play narration explaining everything happening on screen in real time so the kids watching could follow along?

You tell me:

youtu.be/w5I4xr9Zu78

The voices in the Japanese dub of the G1 cartoon aren't bad or anything. But JESUS CHRIST THAT NARRATOR!

So you didn't watch any of the shows then. Okay.

Oh god the Narrators.

Braves and Headmasters are especially bad at this.

The japanese really are not fans of 'Show, don't tell.'

I was reading an overview about the Japanese dubs of TF

>adventuresinpoortaste.com/2012/04/19/japanese-dubbing-of-american-transformers-cartoons-what-you-may-not-know/

It's kinda outdated and some of the links don't work anymore.

You realize that the west added a retarded narrator when they localized the Macross cartoon right? Fucking stop making generalizations about entire countries based on how they adapted 80s shows for kids you idiot.

In fact just stop talking forever. Go shitpost on another board. This conversation is fucking idiotic and insulting to everyone's intelligence.

I asked for examples featuring aliens in major roles and you gave me two. I definitely ignore the rest seeing how they didn't fit what I was asking in the first place.

Okay everyone, let's just ignore him and talk about IDW comics instead.

Do you guys have any hopes for the Revolution crossover?

Lad, you're (you)ing the wrong poster.

I was the user in I agree with everything in your counter argument. Chill yer beans.

It's probably going to be better than Dark Cybertron and Combiner Wars.

Speaking of the IDW comics, has anyone even storytimed today's MTMTE or TAAO?

No and they're not up in the win-o-thread either.

>oh fuck off, you post made it seem like they didn't exist period
I should have been more specific then because of fucking course I know there had to be that one guy in the 80s who must have created a sci-fi novel at some point during some time featuring alien protagonists but my point is during this day and age there are hardly any if not any anime/manga featuring alien like aliens who are actually major characters and by major character I mean developed members of the team and not some mascot .

The Narrator in the Japanese dub is Soundwave's VA.

What is the sauce on this pic? Is the symbol on Meg's chest and Prime's arm supposed to be a combination of the Con/Bot symbols?

That said, good seiyuu cast though it's lacking some true veterans like Toru Furuya, Toshio Furukawa, Shuichi Ikeda and The late Kenji Utsumi.

>Do you guys have any hopes for the Revolution crossover?
I'm hype. I like that nobody's just on the fringes of the conflict: the Entropy Storm from Microspace (presumably) causes Ore-13 decay, which G.I. Joe - with some prodding from Dire Wraiths - assumes is the fault of the Transformers, and forms MASK to take them down.
And, uh, Action Man's there. At least he's in the thick of things, though.

>Do you guys have any hopes for the Revolution crossover?

A dedicated Hasbro universe where all properties coexist would be the shit. We sorta had that with the 80s cartoons, but it was mostly just sly Easter eggs and insignificant crossovers.

But I hope that if IDW does this, they don't only include properties that have their own books. Let ALL the Hasbro properties in. I want to see Visionaries, Inhumanoids, Centurions, Sky Commanders, Battle Beasts and all of them as part of this larger world of interconnectivity.

Hasbro has more than enough IPs to have their own Marvel or DC style universe.

Yup.
It's from Japanese G2. The Autobots and Decepticons allied after Galvatron's madness was cured and he was reverted to Megatron, but then the Russians murdered Megatron's lover and he turned evil again. He's like Magneto!

>And, uh, Action Man's there. At least he's in the thick of things, though.
That poor man is so outshined by literally everyone else.

So, its pretty much like animation in the west during the 80s? How long before nip corporate culture collapses?

Don't be ridiculous. He's the greatest hero of them all.

Same time western corporate culture collapses, all the big players are multinats now.

The way they described what interactions between the titles would be like after Revolution is basically just those little easter eggs.A cameo here or there by Scarlett, a mention of the Micronauts, Optimus on the news in the background, stuff like that.

That's a funny way of saying Thunderclash user.

TAAO and MTMTE when?

>That narrator

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

For fuck's sake, the G1 cartoon was not hard to follow, it was practically written for people with brain damage. Why the fuck did the Japanese need constant narration to hold their hand through the plot?

nope, maybe if was just a crossover with one series in an alternative universe (like Mars attack the Transformers) but now with all the backstory of MTMTE and exRiD they are forcing the crossover and that will be huge mess, maybe they can explaint the micronauts and MASK using cybertronian technology but I hope they have sense

Why would the Micronauts need to be explained with Cybertronian technology when we already have a million other aliens that have nothing to do with Cybertronians?

go and find the downloads link user

>I want to see Visionaries, Inhumanoids, Centurions, Sky Commanders, Battle Beasts

Hasbro sold Battle Beasts to Diamond Select, so they don't own them anymore.

They may not own Inhumanoids anymore, either (they tried to rebrand it as Promordia or some shit a few years back when Unit:e flopped in the conceptual phase).

And as for some of those other properties, the Hasbro-owned franchises with cartoons that were made by Hanna Barbera (Go-Bots, Pound Puppies, Sky Commanders, Centurions) are in iffy waters. Hasbro only owns the characters and concepts they themselves created for the toylines. Anything created by Hanna Barbera is owned by Time Warner (in some cases, like Pound Puppies, that's ALL the characters, hence why the Hub's PP cartoon had to use a different cast).

So the best you're gonna get is GI Joe and MASK, user.

link us
transformers prime made me devoted to megantro.That voice could lead you anywhere