Why is it called "The Western World" when it should be called "The Northern World + Australia"

Why is it called "The Western World" when it should be called "The Northern World + Australia"

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Orthodox_Church
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its a pre-americas term you mong. It refers specifically to the eurasian continent wherein greece and rome is western world, india and china are eastern world.

>including Russia
0/10 bait.

>Russia
>western world
wew lad

>russia
>the west

pick one

I suppose Russia is closer to the Western World than the Eastern World (i.e. the far East). Even though it used to be the Eastern World from the perspective of the Western World, hence why the Western World is called the Western World and not the Northern World to begin with.

Because the modern European mindset originated in Western Europe. Western thought was so successful during the Renaissance that other countries not in Western Europe adopted it. Russia was one of the most prominent so called Westernizers.

I don't think it includes Russia? Maybe it's pretty westernized, but they're no allies.
And now I think you can count in Japan, Taiwan, SK and Singapore, maybe others... I think the US has a few pet projects in Africa and South America that are surprisingly westernized.

No. That's not where the term comes from. It comes from the schism.

> Eastern Europe and Russia
> western

>Western world
>Russia
"white people world" would be a better term.

>Russia
Fucking leaf

>Russia
>Western
>Why am I even replying

we need to make this happen

>Russia
>first world

Can you accept me desu? I will be a good boy onichan

They already do this, you've never heard the terms "global north" or "global south?" It's usually used in terms of poverty and global south countries wanting gibs though.

straya is to the west

Russia being included is controversial for the following points

>Not because they're white (slav's are descendants of Nordic vikings and German Hunnic tribes)

But because
>Most of Russia resides in Asia
>Income disparity in Russia
>Previous Russian values (Soviet U)
>Rates of violence
>Perceived social interactions in different countries are very negative according to the locals

However, here's my stand on the Russians/slavs white or not argument
>They actually developed SOMETHING, regardless if you're an anti gommunist shill or not the Soviet union essentially moved most of Russia from a medieval pre-industrial moving into industrial stage to a heavily industrialized modern nation in a few years
>They actually built themselves something that lasted unlike most of the worlds people's, a very white/Oriental Asian characteristic
>Added to modern science (see pic related)
>Space race wouldn't have started without them, moved as fast, or been as successful. It's undisputed that the Russian space program was superior for quite a while and is still amazingly developed, the consequences of the space race technologically still cannot be calculated today, the cold war widened the gap between Europe(including the soviet union), North America and the rest of the world dramatically like no other event ever has, even moreso than the industrial revolution.
>Russians now are incredibly traditionalist like all Slavs and still continue to be patriotic and try and make something for themselves, unlike every other non-white/Oriental Asian race which is patriotic or not but tries to leave their country and instead of building something for themselves they seek to leech off Europe/North America/Australia

In this regard I consider Russians distinctly not only white but European. They've been behind and are still trying to recover from the Soviet days and didn't get an early start like Roman conquered Europe (which spread vital technologies)but they at least did something

Thank you leaf, this is why I included them

Nobody is saying Russian isn't white; they aren't western.

Is white =/= Western?
How do you define "Western" if you include Australia?

Last I checked any definition of "adds x to the world" or "Does x" the slavs ALL qualify for.

I'm not trying to sound like some shitty Russian X-pat disporia but never including Russia or Eastern Europe in "the West" has never made sense to me. Even if they haven't added as much to the world as Britain, North/West Europe or North America at least they build things for themselves and aren't self destructive like Arabs (who have built many things but none of it lasts so it might not as well have been built at all if it just gets demolished 30 years later by the next Caliphate because "it's against Allah" or something)

Why include Japan and S. Korea if not Russia? Let alone East Europe.

S. Korea and Japan aren't western either.

>How do you define "Western" if you include Australia?
Shared cultural heritage and traditions from ancient Greece and Rome that include Catholicism and Protestantism.

>>Shared cultural heritage and traditions from ancient Greece and Rome that include Catholicism and Protestantism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Orthodox_Church

>"The Christian community that developed into what is now known as the Russian Orthodox Church is traditionally said to have been founded by the Apostle Andrew, who is thought to have visited Scythia and Greek colonies along the northern coast of the Black Sea."

Decent definition but that still qualifies Russia and Eastern Europe.

Orthodox Christianity is not western.

Fixed that for you.

Fuck off, we`re full.

lol