The critics were WAY too hard on Valerian

The critics were WAY too hard on Valerian.
I thought it was on par with the new Star Trek or the new Star Wars films.

Glad I went to see it.

I agree for the most part. The movie suffers some serious story issues but all the side adventures were so fantastic - like the Big Market part for example.

Hi Dane!

>on par with the new Star Trek or the new Star Wars films

this is not praise

Maybe not. lol

I did catch a few plot holes, but the story was simple and straightforward. It felt like a amalgam of all the scifi movies of the past 10 years.

It's not, but it shows how big studios have reviewers in their pockets

>ugh another Transformers?
>ugh Valerian was just...not good
>OMG YAAASSS THIS NEW MCU MOVIE IS PURE GOLD
>SLAY JEDI SLAY, REY IS BAE

>on par with the new Star Trek or the new Star Wars

So it's shit?

It's sure starting to seem that way.

>So it's shit?

Stunning visuals, so if you're into that, then it's a must-see.

so transformers isn't being put out by a big studio now?

that's hilarious. So it's on par with those, but doesn't have the brand recognition and nostalgia to prop it up. What you have left is a hyped up movie that isn't good enough to justify its huge budget

it wasnt good, the leads had no chemistry they hid the fact that it is avatar 2 from the trailers, plot is simplistic and stupid, lame cgi, scenery, weird dub issues. 5/10 on par with star trek beyond indeed.

i think the movie needed more layers

the only thing that was lacking was more interesting dialogue. SPOILER. the dialogue needed to have more than just "why can't we be together". its pretty much every conversation they had in the movie

other than that the movie was good. i too am glad i watched it

So you mean Disney

Any film that hovers around 50% on RT is worth seeing. Every time.

Critical consensus means something is by the numbers made for mass appeal. When you have something truly polarizing I always think it's worth a ticket.

Are there any other examples of this?

how is that girl considered a model?
seriously, she's ugly as fuck. looks like a coke head

her dad's loaded, of course

You say that as if cokehead hasn't always been THE model look

I just saw it and it was actually pretty good. I can't even complain about either Dane or Cara's acting, they both did a fine job. The issues with the movie were all story-related. It suffers from a minor pacing issue, and major "it's sci-fi we don't have to explain shit" issues. The story was also slightly contrived in places, particularly relating to the commander (who in the world couldn't have predicted he was the antagonist and that those robots were evil?). Regardless, everything else was pretty good. Visuals weren't Avatar level, but I felt the 3D was worth it. Aliens were creative and the world looked great. I wish they would have shown and explained about more of it. I'd really be interested in a director's cut with a half hour more of world building.

>I thought it was on par with the new Star Trek or the new Star Wars films.

So you thought it was bland, and left no lasting impression? Brilliant!

I don't think they were hard enough, garbage ass movie.

Aquatic Life

>terrible acting
>awkward as fuck marriage subplot
>obvious chinese pandering/interferrence
>needless, tone-destroying child sex slave interlude
>strait up DBZ-style plot recap in the movie
>literally everything about how the primitive race was able to survive and have a happy ending

The only redeemable aspects of this movie is the CGI and art direction. The Chinese pandering gets a pass because they probably financed the majority of this piece of shit, but the rest of the problems are inexcusable. Valerian is trash.

I don't understand how people are construing the marriage subplot. The very first scene with Valerian and Laureline establishes that there is at the very least extreme sexual tension between them, I think it can easily be inferred that they've been in at least a friends with benefits to light relationship situation for a while. These characters didn't just meet each other, they've been partners for a long time, and clearly in some form of relationship for at least a short while.

I thought their chemistry was fine. But I gotta agree that it's a ripoff of Avatar

The problem with the marriage subplot isn't that it's there, it's that it's introduced and executed terribly. If they had made it about Valerian wanting to start a serious relationship with Laureline it would have been more believable and would have made Valerian constantly fucking tons of chicks and forgetting her birthday somewhat forgivable.

>Listening to American critic opinion on French movie.

Fight Club was panned by many critics and other Hollywood figures when it was released. At the time, I felt the criticisms sounded nonsensical so it compelled me to watch the film. Surprise, surprise. The film was great and the criticizers were speaking from their political beliefs.

It's a kind-of fun movie, but Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne were horribly miscast, and Rihanna was just embarrassing.

John Carter

shes unique looking

I entered expecting a movie in the vein of John Carter (which I loved, save for the retarded first hour), and I wasn't disappointed.

Valerian is essentially European John Carter minus a lot of the garbage beginning. I thought it was great.

you don't realize that runway models are picked by clothing designers if they have weird offbeat looks. clothing designers are fucking weirdos, and don't want miss america or miss universe types walking the runway, or if they have big boobs.

her eyebrows alone qualify her to be a runway model. that does not, however, qualify her to be an actress.

They look like twins born of incest that also indulge in incest
Believe it or not, society isn't that progressive yet

Thanks for reminding me op, I have the day off so I'll go see the 9:30 AM show tomorrow. because I have no fucking friends

>Valerian is essentially European John Carter

Because it's a huge box office bomb with skinny blue aliens?

In part.
>ambitious space epic
>inflated budget
>attempt to start a franchise
>aesthetic and story relevant to region of origin (refugee crisis and American West)
>Great characters, mediocre to good story
>Great visuals
>fun
>Panned by critics for no reason. (some reason in John Carter's case, as I said the first hour was garbage).

John carter had a smarter third act and a slightly better resolution, but I loved both movies. It's a shame they both bombed. I guess I'll just have to wait 6 more years for some other studio to make a $220 million mistake.

but cara ruined it

Went to see it on IMAX 3D for the visual alone. I live for this kind of shit, so I didn't. Some visuals are really breathtaking.

But holy shit did they fuck up on the casting and couldn't have chosen a more boring set of actors. What were they fucking thinking?? Cara and Dane emit emotion the likes of a cardboard and have the look as if though they are eternally stoned. Jesus fucking Christ, even in real life do they look boring, it's unbelievable.

*didn't feel like I went for nothing

It was just as shitty as Dunkirk.
Cokewhore is a shit actress and they had worst chemestry i've ever seen.

seriously this

i really really wanted to like this movie because i am perfectly happy to watch some cool visuals so long as the film is at least passable. but the 2 leads were just so unpleasant to sit through, their dialogue was so wooden, so cardboard as you said

this

new ST and SW movies are shit, capeshit under a new coating

Nice digits amigo