How does Sup Forums feel about Azrael's time as Batman?

How does Sup Forums feel about Azrael's time as Batman?

Was it appropriate for him to be the first person to defeat Bane?

How about that costume?

Ot was 90s as fuck but a pretty good story

He was cool. Azrael needs to comeback, we need more religion in Gotham and Batman.

I liked it

Yes

I liked it

From the outset though he came across like a villain

Not out of place considering what type of heroes people liked in the 90s but it doesn't age well

What do you think about his first solo series.

>"the punisher didn't age well" - you

goes to show that Liefeld and his Image compatriots were undoubtedly the most influential artists of the 90's in the comic book industry. also tells you how foolishly inept the industry really is.

>outset
They had his personality jump all over the place. And the fact that they made the Order of St. Dumas a shitty flavoring of Catholic but without being Catholic was terrible.
Extremely hit or miss. Denny wasn't trying very hard to give him a supporting cast that could last, and repeated the same "prove my innocence" storyline over and over again. The only character that had any major impact on his life was a Batman supporting character.

Was azbats a satire or just a normal comic.

>All those random poaches

why

>edgelords want Batman to go full Image
>edgelords want Batman to go full Bat-Murderer
>O'Neil says fine
>gives fans the edgiest more murderous Batman in history complete with pouches and guns and Image design
>fans hate it
>O'Neil laughs his ass off
>to this day fans STILL complain about it being edgy and "a product of its time" that "didn't age well"
>O'Neil laughs his ass off

We're not worthy of Denny

He didn't

They said it was intended as satire, but honestly if he sold as well as regular Batman prior to that, you full well know they would have kept him as Batman.

>They said it was intended as satire
You don't dedicate you 500th anniversary issue to satire

>There was a time when SPAWN was outselling Superman, Batman and Spiderman

The 90s were a strange time

He really didn't. The daredevil 2nd season was the best representation Frank had in years because the writers made it very clear how unpleasant his and other lives around him are.

He got his own series... You don't reach 100 issues without being popular.

He wasn't especially popular or unpopular to start with

Anyone who got the push he did would sell well to start with but as the 90's came to an end, his sales hit about as low as they could without getting cancelled

Problem was he didn't get a dedicated following unlike character he was initially more popular than

Since they probably will never release the sales numbers, we'll never really know. But I know full well they were serious about him replacing Batman during the 500th issue. What's also hilarious is he also had Detective Comics 666 right before the 500th of Batman. He was also forcefully given characters during the arc that gave us several worthless characters outside of Tommy because of a edgy company wide event that was as dumb, but thankfully not nearly as long as the Clone Saga.

We have the sales figures

He hit around 20k just after issue 50

Also he had a rebranding about halfway through that though. He went from Azrael, to Azrael Agent of the Bat. He was brought in for several events, from Contagion, to Cataclysm, to No Man's Land, to Bruce Wayne: Fugitive and his numbers still never recovered. Then Denny killed him off just so he wouldn't have to worry about him anymore.

And that's cancellation numbers today. Hence his rebranding over and over again and crossovers with several other Batfamily characters. Hell, Denny had him beat a worn out Batman during the Fugitive storyline in his penultimate issue. It was basically then you knew he wasn't going to be sticking around.

Boy, Azrael sure loved changing his costume.

He pretty much only has two. That's his Azrael costume and then when he was Batman he made the AzBats costume.

it's pretty funny people still don't get Knighfalls message
>hurr 90s as fuck I don't like it
that was the whole point you fucking retard

I would love to smoke a joint with Denny O'Neil and just talk about conics for a couple of hours

His normal costume isn't red and gold

They wouldn't waste this many resources on just a message

This is literally the stupidest post I have ever read.

It was the point of the story. Every story has a point.

DUDE WEED LMAO

It was the 500th issue of Batman, it even got a holofoil cover

it shows in every possible way why the Batman way is the only way, and how would grimderp heroes turn out when given a chance
and all that while still being totally sellable to 90s fans

And Manbat got a 400

I own it :)

This.

It is so obvious. Sup Forums is so stupid at times, you guys make me feel really superior for getting basic stuff that any non-autist can notice.

>Only two
user.

I really just wish Knightfall was better planned out.

Sword of Azrael is a fantastic comic but the Jean Paul of that story is virtually unrecognizable from the character in Knightfall

Everyone had their idea of what Jean-Paul's personality should be during this, sometimes he's just socially inept, other times he's trying too hard to be Batman, and other times he's Punisher but without the guns. Also the Crusade was when they introduced Renee and made it seem she was going to be a supporting cast for him, since he was going to be at odds with Gordan. Then they did the same thing Spider-Man did when Ben Reilly took over and had him shit all over Spider-Man's existing relationships because apparently they thought having the replacements act like pig headed idiots without thinking is what the fans would want.

>it shows in every possible way why the Batman way is the only way,
Then why did Azrael succeed in taking down Bane?

Because even though Bane played out like a normal Batman villain, they needed the stakes raised so someone could beat him. Which is lazy if your entire "satire" premise is to show why Batman is the only thing that works.

because Azrael already knew about Bane, Bane didn't waste almost a year tiring Az down like he did with Batman brining him to his lowest point both in body and mind

Why didn't Azrae kill the Joinker?

He nearly did.

There's always that one faggot in the group.