Budget: $177–210 million

>Budget: $177–210 million
>Box Office: $27.6 million

HOLY SHIT

Other urls found in this thread:

screendaily.com/features/interviews/luc-besson-talks-valerian-the-biggest-cinema-gamble-of-2017/5119067.article
deadline.com/2017/07/valerian-who-loses-luc-besson-europacorp-fundamental-films-stx-1202134583/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

People just don't give a shit about space movies, and who can blame them? How many good ones have we had in the past 20 years?

If I loved The Last Element, will I like this?

Pretty much everybody knew this was a guaranteed flop, no idea how it got funding

That's what you get for picking "actors" that are created with File/New/Page/Blank

Not released in UK yet

>let's spend 200 million on Valerian

it's not like it's Harry Potter. How did this get greenlit? Why do they spend so much damn money? What's wrong with just 30 to 50 million? Cut out the CGI for puppets.

>The legendary director of those two movies nobody remembers and the movie nobody saw

>nobody remembers or saw fifth element
come on, the real reason is that actor playing the main guy, no one wants a skinny male hero, where are the arnolds, the stallones, the 80's gibsons? where have all the cowboys gone?

You mean the Fifth Element? And if you liked it because of Bruce Willis and/or Mila and Gary Oldman then definitely no. If you liked it because of the setting alone, then probably.

Cara is not very charismatic. She wasn't particularly bad and she tried to play hard to get but the lead guy was just bad. He's 5'9 and skinny with a deep voice, so you just can't believe that he's a war hero and women lust after them. He has no charisma at all.

How does a CGI movie cost so much?

Not the actors fault. It's due to the trailer not properly stating why aliens all around the galaxy want these 2 young people to save them and put so much hope in them.

I never read the book and I am sure 95% of humans today haven't so of course not many would be interested in it

particularly stupid aspect of the movie was how rihanna's character was introduced in this totally unnecessary dance interlude while valerian's true love and partner is captured by violent aliens

and then rihanna dies from a off-screen wound literally like 15 minutes later and we have this really awkward scene where its supposed to be so heartfelt, omg how can valerian ever go on after losing his new friend he met 15 minutes ago?

like they fuckin escaped, what was the point of her dying? clearly they wanted her death to be some kind of emotional moment but it makes no sense because they just fucking met

Is this actually worth seeing in theaters? The sci-fi environments look cool but everything else looks like trash.

if youre going to see it at all, it would be in theaters for the big screen images of cool planets and aliens

but its not really worth it, the dialogue in the movie is so cringe, hard to sit through, plot is pointless. and not enough time is devoted to the interesting parts of the setting. in terms of screen time most of the movie is just your generic space ship, silver walls with floating computer screens

the actual interesting settings like the aliens that harvest shit underwater and the ones that are computer hardware engineers just get little token clips of 5 seconds or so for exposition and then we forget about them

You people make me sick. 6 million aliens dead and you won't even spent any shekels on the movie.

They named the movie after the ugly, weak, retarded looking white male instead of promoting cara delevingne. How did this "Dane dehaan" even get work?

That's disappointing, I really like fifth element but I'll pass on this shit.

good choice, i like fifth element a lot too and i wish i had passed on this

>Not the actors fault
You're right, it's the casting people's fault for hiring them
I can't believe people thought she did good in Suicide Squad, she was easily one of the worst things in that movie rivaled only by HONKA HONKA

Actors looks so boring, i do not want to watch even a trailer.
No wonder movie bombed.

I had never heard of this movie until around a week ago.

the trailer was pretty but un engaging, and the main lead is some skinny twink and Eyebrows Mc'Vag. 200million down the toilet.

I bet the guy who was casting actors was some giant winged flaming faggot and no one dared do say anything to him because he would engage 12321 agencies to start a war in the streets over his rights

Space movies are fine, but with all the retarded shit being pushed lately expectations are just really low. Take jupiter ascending, enders game, independence day 2, guardians of the galaxy, they all look so similar that it just becomes boring.

>if you liked it because of Bruce Willis and/or Mila and Gary Oldman

The setting was cool but only because it was inhabited by these people. Even Crhis Tucker's character I like.

Why do people constantly relate this pile of shit film to the fifth element though?

Is it flopping worldwide too?

>mfw loved ender's game book
>mfw didn't even care about the movie

it was that bad in the trailer

I saw the trailer, looked like over convoluted shit.

Even if i had the blu ray right now i wouldn't watch it

>Why do people constantly relate this pile of shit film to the fifth element though

Luc Beson did both

I can't imagine how a normal person could expect this not to flop hard. Hollywood exes are fucking idiots?

That fucking brow. It makes her so fucking ugly. Who is okay with that?

>Hollywood exes are fucking idiots?}

Valerian isn't an american movie, so in this case Hollywood execs being fucking idiots is not relevant.

>How does a CGI movie cost so much?

CGI is really expensive, no idea why people think otherwise. Film studios go CGI for convenience, not to save a buck.

The French government helped fund some of that because by law all media in France has to be 25% French made. And cuck Besson secured private funds from "good faith". I hope this ruins his career personally, and Cara's.

Not to mention this was independently financed by the director himself

>screendaily.com/features/interviews/luc-besson-talks-valerian-the-biggest-cinema-gamble-of-2017/5119067.article

According to Besson, 96% of the film's budget was covered by pre-sales.

>200 million budget
>Cast a fucking model and literal who as leads.

What could go wrong?

Even if Valerian doesn't wreck his studio directly, they will have credibility problems in selling their future movie projects to financiers and distribution companies.

someone got source on these numbers?

Apparently Luc Besson funded a lot of the movie himself. Which is odd, because it sounds like the entire thing lacked artistic vision from the get go...

It's sad that it if this was part of some Comic Book Universe or Book Adaption, manchildren would flock to it in droves.

Hey you take that back, he accurately potrayed the look of confusion that anyone who actually has to do dealings with the joker would have

I hope this will teach the (surviving) distributors a valuable lesson

Probably a tax write off

What I don't understand is that this Besson motherfucker is trying to be better than Hollywood at making Hollywoodian movies.
Dude you're french ffs, just do your big budget movies but try to add some quality and some deeper meaning phylosophical shit to your films, focus on the quality of the dialogues etc. instead of focusing on the quantity of special effects, the quips and other stupid shit like hollywood does.

Seriously, if the frogs were good at making blockbusters, Hollywood would be in France rather than in California.

Honestly this

Don't be a bigger merchant than merchants in hollywood

Yeah, he literally says that in the article.

Maleritrix: Prostate and the Solution of Malibatrosse.

it doesn't open in australia for two weeks, mong.

Based straya will save Valeryan!

Bloody oath cunt

>It's sad that it if this was part of some Comic Book Universe or Book Adaption

it is , its a direct adaption of a long running comic

Yes. The opening in France was good (obviously) but it's a disaster everywhere else. In Germany for example, it ended below DM3's third weekend.

No, but Besson is.
>deadline.com/2017/07/valerian-who-loses-luc-besson-europacorp-fundamental-films-stx-1202134583/
>When the film came to STX, the July 21 date came with it even though it was on the same day that Warner Bros.’ Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk was opening. There was a discussion as to what to do and whether they should move Valerian off that date. The decision was made by Besson and EuropaCorp to stick with the July 21 date.
>As it stands, however, the Frenchman believes moviegoers will likely divide along generational lines. "Everyone under 50 will go see Valerian", Besson says, "and everyone above 50 will go see Dunkirk.
Besson literally thought everybody except for the elderly was dying to see his "masterpiece".

>Besson literally thought everybody except for the elderly was dying to see his "masterpiece".
hollywood hack lives in a bubble, no surprise there

I actually didn't mind the movie. They really butchered the end though.

Is it good tho ? As a frog I want to believe

Stop casting that eyebrows bitch in movies. She is awful.

kys yourself

I don't even have an explanation as to why I thought seeing this was a good idea. I just like going to movies. Even when they are horrendous, I get a good red pill review to share with you guys. So here goes

We start with a race of elegant, innocent, peaceful, pale blue people who do nothing but dance and collect pearls on their majestic beach planet. everything is rendered in cgi that looks like it's from 2009. A clear stand-in for [insert oppressed group that dindu nuffin]. The males are all very effeminate looking and have obviously female voices so it's essentially all female race. Their homes look exactly like vaginas, not exaggerating at all I couldn't believe how their houses looked. One day their blissful lives are rocked by an intergalactic war being waged by fucking-white-males. Seriously. Infinite different alien species exist in the movie but the primary beings who are evil are not just humans but specifically white men. Evil trump stand-in orders wmd launch. Merciful Black subordinate warns of intelligent life on the beach planet. Trump clone doesn't care. Too busy being a fucking-white-male. Wmds deploy. Explosions, ships fall on planet. A few dindus survive in wreckage but the planet is obliterated. 6 million dindus die. Specific number mentioned (I can't stand antisemites but God what a stupid allegory). Later, trump clone murders merciful black subordinate to cover his tracks

>particularly stupid aspect of the movie was how rihanna's character was introduced in this totally unnecessary dance interlude while valerian's true love and partner is captured by violent aliens
you're right except for the "violent aliens". They literally fished her out and were represented pretty comically (minus the part then the king gets that tool for opening her skull).
>and then rihanna dies from a off-screen wound literally like 15 minutes later
this was a bummer, and she wasn't a bad character imo. I felt sorry for her, if you need to feel sorry for anyone innocent dying that's your problem dude.

Skip to heroes. Impossibly bad dialogue establishes male lead as a hot shot player who's afraid of commitment. He flirts with female lead and work mate who is a strong female character. She lectures him about being cocky and irresponsible. She's never wrong. Smarter than everyone. Beats up grown men while being petite. The whole 9. Male lead inexplicably turns extra strength blue pill and asks female lead to marry him. He begs thru the entire movie. She denies him and shames him the whole movie. Played for laughs. Not a single funny moment in the film.

Main setting is a giant multicultural intergalactic space station where thousands of creatures pool knowledge and culture together. Some how no wars or major culture clashes ever. However, dindus survived and are hiding in the space station. Trump clone is attempting to wipe them out and cover over his accidental genocide by convincing everyone that they are an evil unknown threat. Trump clone parrots vaguely trump like rhetoric about humans and humans first, economic concerns, etc, before devolving into a tirade and becoming a one dimensional selfish moron. It's so pathetic and transparent that you can't even hate this non character. It's nothing but clumsy anti trump virtue signaling. That was the whole point of the movie. Anyway, his plan fails. At one point, trump clone is captured and for no discernable plot related reason, female lead gets on top of him and punches him in the face over and over for like a minute. Extremely wierd and put of place. I guess it was meant to be cathartic for the audience. I digress. Dindus are saved, some sacred whatever restores their beach planet, male proposes to female again. She rejects him but then they kiss anyway after record breaking bad dialogue. Roll credits. Drink bleach

Go home Cara.

I'm sorry that I can't give you a more detailed answer, but you are a definition of a pleb.

It can't JUST be a space movie. The plot and characters have to stand on their own without the Scifi element.

For example, A New Hope was a coming of age story, it could have been set anywhere (Ancient Japan, Medieval Europe, Meso America, or even modern times) and still have been just as enjoyable.

What would you guys do with a 200 mil budget?
Me? I don't have the slightest idea

I think it was worth seeing.

The plot and the story of valerian is very nice and elegant, it's on the same level as the story in the fifth element.

A big part of the budget is however made up from pre-sales outside of the US (don't know how that works). And they got some money from like the french government or something (don't know how that worked either). So the film flopping isn't as bad as it seems. The comic is also really popular in france, so it's probably going to go pretty well in Europe. I'm gonna see it because I like Luc Bessons style, even if he have made some bad movies.

it's a very good movie and will be a cult classic, so go watch it in theaters when you still have a chance.

Luc goto bed

Go to bed, Luc.

The movie was a fucking crime on the source material.

nice argument pleb retard.

I thought it looked rad, can I watch it just for the visuals or the movie is really trash?

>CGI is really expensive, no idea why people think otherwise
If that was the case though, why keep throwing money at it? The best looking movies are always the ones that do a smart job of mixing practical effects and CG. There are flicks from decades ago like Jurassic Park, Matrix, or LOTR, that can go toe to toe with current movies because the people making them understood the limitations of the medium. No excuse for that not to be doable with a budget this size.

For a $200mil budget why couldn't you cast someone like Henry Cavil and Kate Mara for the main leads.

Also why wouldn't you just follow the plot of comic which is "by the book time cop travels back to medieval France and accidentally rescues peasant girl while trying to stop mad scientist".

the visuals are very good, and is the rest of the movie.

YOURSELF!

Except it really is as bad as it seems ():
>EuropaCorp’s stock has dipped 9.4% in trading on the Paris stock exchange over the past two days which comes only a month after EuropaCorp took a $136M write-off. Remember: Fundamental — apart from their 28% and roughly $67M equity stake in EuropaCorp — is also on the hook for about $50M in equity in the picture.

>Added another executive: “Everyone is going to lose money on this. It’s sad actually. This kind of failure actually hurts the business, not just the companies with a financial stake involved.”
>But this kind of capital loss is making observers nervous that the Chinese investors — which basically has bouyed many productions in Hollywood — may start heading to the exits.
And it's already bombed in Europe as well. It opened well in France only, but France can't save a movie with a budget this huge.

>Film studios go CGI for convenience, not to save a buck

I remember when they use to tout it as the greatest money saver the film industry would ever see. Now all it does is run up the bill so that everything "looks right" according to the script/source material

Because using CGI allows the movie makers show everything, which is a part of the problem really.

Back in the day, the directors needed to plan carefully what they would show, from what angles they'd show it and how it all would be lit in order to hide things that don't look so good.

Now directors can change things on they fly and rely on the fact that almost everything can be fixed in the post.

In a word, movie makers have become lazy.

Sorry, replied on wrong post, I meant to reply on the first one.

Moon

it flopped cause the burger primitive taste in what is good or bad is the global norm. If you watch the reviews, valerian literally went over their head.
>muh miscast and no chemistry
bullshit, like any of the characters from the new star wars have it or are charismatic, americans only like thinks that are familiar and bland.

The visuals are as good as the leads are wooden.

Valerian is surrender monkey feminist garbage. Yeah americunts will only applaud a movie that they like, but get your head out of your ass, because nobody likes the french and that's why they don't care for the shitty movie.

It might be just me but I didn't find the trailers for this, or jupiter ascending, or ender's game, appealing at all.
they may as well just be the same film

>muh americans
>ignoring the fact that it flopped all over the world
The acting and writing was bad by any standards, mate.

Dindu McStormtrooper ended up being the most likeable character because of how average he was (unlike Mary Sue Rey)

>Valerian is surrender monkey feminist garbage.
holy shit, it has literally zero things to do with feminism you loudmouth pleb. Go back to Sup Forums you literal moron.

the acting was fine, the biggest mistake was a slight miscast of the male lead. If you liked the fifth element and are not a particle effects retard, there is no reason not to like valerian.

>claims valerian went over their head
>doesn't seem to be aware that it's based on some older french, feminist sci-fi garbage
>"hurr it has 0 things to do with feminism"

kys frog

Don't worry, when it comes out in Australia I will go watch it.

t. victorian fudge packer

>sci-fi garbage
you're factually wrong nigger, just go back to Sup Forums, that's the containment board for people that have difficulties using google and reading.

If it was called Star Wars and the city of a thousand planets and nothing else was changed it would've made a billion easy

good scifi is in tv now

>numale in leadrole
>goblin fridge as sidekick
>bad CGI , bad CGI everywhere
>boring plot
>made by some loser who made like 2 average movies in the last 20 years

yeah who could have seen that coming that it fails and flops?

>thinks I or the rest of the world care about the french in any regard
>wonders why the french flicks flopping
I think all that time choking on arab cocks has given you brain damage

Go home Luc.

your standard burger audience member.

This was considered good casting