Mark Hughes (Forbes Movies/Entertainment) DCFilms Podcast

stitcher.com/podcast/holy-batcast/e/45913179?autoplay=true

Interesting podcast on current DCFilms stuff from Mark Hughes, who is part of Forbes and covers movies and entertainment. Basically:

>Joker is in the Batman script Affleck is writing. Doesn't know how big his role will be. The film will have something to do with Arkham Asylum and will have multiple villains.
>Katana's mask was one of the factors for the movie not being shown in China (it's the Japanese flag). Violence and content are other factors.

And perhaps the most interesting:

>One of the reasons they may have cut Joker's scenes in Suicide Squad was due to the abusive relationship with Harley Quinn. It's different seeing it in the comic versus seeing it on the movie screen. It wouldn't have helped DC's situation and just added another controversial element. One of the hosts mentioned the Joker/Batgirl Killing Joke reference cover and how that was a controversial thing at the time.

Normies ruin everything.

Reasonable points
DC was smart and went for money over kino

Goddammit China is so full of pussies.

>DC was smart and went for money over kino
It's the smart thing to do right now. And thought I doubt it will ever come out, I'm really hoping we get a UE of SS at some point in the future. Seeing the full kino version really interests me.

Not in any way surprising.

Still terribly disappointing.

>Katana's mask was one of the factors for the movie not being shown in China (it's the Japanese flag). Violence and content are other factors.
I get that everybody hates the japs, they are shit, but China is such a fucking bitch...then again Nanking...

>listening to podcasts

Except SS has been plummeting despite no competition and the 700 to 800 they want isn't going to happen. I'll be lucky to hit 600.

So its a shit movie that isn't a flop, but isn't much of a success and yet another film that's poisoned the DC brand to normies.

>kino
Alright I'm done pretending, somebody spoon feed me and tell me what this word means, cause I'm lost and this buzzword meme is annoying the hell out of me.

google kinography

... and to fans, really.

>kino

cinema in german.

It doesn't need to hit $700m to break even, that was a fake piece put out.

If you listened to the podcast you'd know WB would be happy with $600m.

>Except SS has been plummeting despite no competition and the 700 to 800 they want isn't going to happen. I'll be lucky to hit 600.
Objectively speaking, it's actually doing fine despite the critical backlash. Pretty much right in the middle of high and low expectations. By the end of this week it'll be ~$260mil domestic and foreign is holding better than expected. Should end at ~$300mil domestic and ~mid/late-$600mil foreign.

It'll be in the Top 10 highest domestic grossing movies for WB. Along with BvS and the Harry Potter spinoff it'll place WB as the #2 studio this year. Considering WB had a lot of good low-budget movies that made considerable money (Central Intelligence, Conjuring 2, Lights Out, Me Before You) the studio is having a really good year. Hell, BvS and SS by themselves made more money than the 5th place studio and above.

Other than the critical reception for their live-action movies (which they can work on), shit's peachy keen at WB and DC right now.

DCucks will defend this

So people listen to podcasts willingly? Podcasts that aren't affiliated with the GiantBomb network?

>Dumb WB exec: "This is Katana! She's part of our new diversity push! I'd advise not to be killed by her: her sword traps the souls of its victims! Asians are all the same right? China will love this!"

>canon Joker/Harley relationship is too controversial

Really makes you think

>what made Harley popular is too controversial

Makes sense

Harley Quinn was coopted by the worst of the worst and became what she is today

I thought the Japanese flag was OK, as long as it wasn't the "Imperial" Japanese flag? Or is that just Korea?

Why is it surprising, though? I would have liked to have seen a more traditional take on J&H, but it IS an abusive relationship.

To be fair, Japan fucked them over in WW2 and hasn't apologized since.

>Let's make a movie with a team of villains
>Slapping a woman is too problematic

They may struggle for that. The uptick on that second weekend was surprising; a lot of people were expecting it to fall even harder than BvS did, but it seemed about even in percentage terms.

However it's still underperforming domestically, though not drastically so (it should be about $40m higher right now to hit the sweet spot that first weekend set up); there's maybe $90m still to come if it holds, and maybe that much from the overseas - topping out at about $640m - but it could just as easily fall harder, or do (a little) better, or whatever. Nobody seems to be able to fully call it. It's a truly dreadful piece, though, so almost certainly surfing on shock value, and unlikely to repeat that level of gross for a sequel.

As far as break-even goes - the budget, the marketing, and the distribution are legitimate costs. On $600m this would still barely be making a dime for the studio, even with the low-end budget estimates we've seen; it's much more likely that they're slashing budgets for future productions in the DCEU with the intention of clawing back the profit that way. The one thing WB aren't going to do is panic shareholders with a load of bad press of their own creation about how they're losing money on these movies: expect a lot of re-used designs, effects, no-name actors suddenly being presented as a big deal. Joker, for example.

What's wrong with this? I'm mad that Albuquerque caved like a pussy to SJW's who don't even buy comics. DC didn't give a shit what they were saying.

If it was Captain Nazi, do you think the jews that run Hollywood would have allowed the movie to be even made?

Hollywood Jews love when Nazi characters get their comeuppance. Why do you think there's so many WWII movies?

I really do think that the people who bitched about the DCEU being too dark and grim did fuck over the Suicide Squad. That being said of all the movies to be dark in tone I'm pissed that DC pussied out at the last minute.

>I thought the Japanese flag was OK, as long as it wasn't the "Imperial" Japanese flag? Or is that just Korea?
That's exactly it, but China really really REALLY hates Japan period.