Best Rebirth Book

Holy shit this is good.

We are at 5 years of solid quality stories for Aquaman and Abnett is only going from strength to strength.

Other urls found in this thread:

www80.zippyshare.com/v/QEjt6x3l/file.html
www3.zippyshare.com/v/FdFXWJsw/file.html
www40.zippyshare.com/v/4VyDPAsl/file.html
www57.zippyshare.com/v/BUDVGbf2/file.html
www70.zippyshare.com/v/zyapc5Gx/file.html
www111.zippyshare.com/v/aOzJPXDe/file.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Eh the arc with Siern sexing him was meh. But yeah overall great run of stuff for Aquaman.
I only wish he got a better artist for rebirth. :/
Walker will do a good page here & there but overall I'm just not a fan especially with tthe bright coloring he has been given.

>Eh the arc with Siern sexing him was meh
It reads a lot better in trade format. I think the big let down on that one is that it was essentially the same story as the previous arc (Arthur vs Ancient atlanteans) but much worse.

>Art
I really like his New 52 art, in Rebirth he looks a little dopey sometimes. If we could get Manapul on this book I'd die.

I like Walker but not the other guy doing the current issues.

I heard Bunn's run was shit though.

I think it's because people thought he broke up Arthur and Mera.

>it's an "Aquaman gets raped" episode

>I really like his New 52 art
Oh of course, Reis is incredible.
>If we could get Manapul on this book I'd die.
He is set to do Aquaman - Earth One!

I don't care what plot is, it'll be splendid to look at.
Perfectly, it'd be Arthur and Mera going to fight plenty of giant monsters.

rebirth run has been slowly getting better. I just don't know why johns and abnett both had to use their first issues to say "SEE SEE AQUAMAN IS COOL AND DOESN'T ACTUALLY TALK TO FISH SEE HOW COOL HE IS" and I fucking hate when you tell us why a character is cool, instead of showing it.

Because you get drones on CBR who REEEEEEE, AQUAMAN ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE KEWL FEATS, THEY KEEP SHILLING AQUAMAN, FEATS ARE FOR SUPERMAN ONLY

Abnett's run has been decent but it really need to get a consistent artist

but they could have done a better job of portraying those visually, rather than a big splash page and a fuckton of caption boxes explaining his powers

>He is set to do Aquaman - Earth One!
Oh yeah I forgot that. Instantly grabbing that.

Instead Arthur/Mera are sweet and got over it quick smart.
Start of the run has to address concerns of new readers and bring them up to speed. How many times have we seen Bruce's parents die and Krypton explode?

I thought having Manta narrate the rebirth issue was pretty swell

>It reads a lot better in trade format
I first read it as trade and thats the best explanation i can come up with for why it was so hated glad to see im not the only one who thinks so.

It was not great by any stretch but decent to me.

Because aquaman is still clawing his way out of superfriends reputation they need to be careful.

I find that a majority of the praise for Rebirth is simply because the stories are familiar. After new 52 tried to shake things up and Marvel is going full tumblr, most readers take comfort in the familiarity offered here.

Superman, wonder woman, flash, green arrow and Aquaman are all telling such generic, uninteresting stories right now, I had to drop them. Action is paint by numbers as well, but it's at least crazy enough that I wanna see what happens next. King's batman is the only thing going right now that has above average writing.

I'm also annoyed by how much pandering is going on. Writers are blatantly trying to pacify readers with stuff like wonder woman's generic, ham-fisted retcon of her nu origin. Kind of like how after Man of Steel, every writer found a way to have Superman give a mini speech about not killing.

Hell, even down to the writers, Rucka on WW with Cheetah and Trevor, Jurgens on Action with Doomsday, Giffen on Blue Beetle. And let's not forget the most desperate and transparent act of pandering I've ever seen, bringing back "MUH SUPERMAN".

The only valid point you have there is the superman replacing.

And there was a reason for those speaches we needed a proper supes overload after that shitshow.

And have you missed all the cool new hanna barbra stuff

>I first read it as trade and thats the best explanation i can come up with for why it was so hated glad to see im not the only one who thinks so.
It jumps into the future and starts moving back in time and then forward again. As issues it's just majorly disjointed and it's tough to remember where in time you left off and where you are now.

Aquaman is garbage. Mediocre writing+awful art.

Fantastic analysis.

I feel the same way about Rebirth. I'm enjoying the Hannah Barbera stuff though and I'm waiting for the Young Animal comics. Those look really good.

>beardless Aquaman

I don't wanna read that. That's gross.

Honestly it sounds like you are growing up user.

>aquaman
>good

jesus fucking christ

>growing up means you no longer like shit just because it's it's got your favorite characters and is familiar, you actually require it to be good
Maybe you're right.

>And there was a reason for those speaches we needed a proper supes overload after that shitshow.
>people need to be pacified like babies when a mean scary movie upsets them
Jesus. How about people just grow up and move on, and if they need a Superman who smiles and saves cats out of trees, (yet still causes collateral damage and probably also killed Zod) they can look at literally almost EVERY other piece of Superman media, ever.

>Giffen on Blue Beetle
Eh, he wasn't on it for that long previously. And now it's got both Ted and Jaime and Dr. fate is going to show up. What with Ted being all tech and Jaime's scarab being magic, I'd say it has a different flavor. besides, Giffen is know to hate milking things and doing the same thing over and over again. You're mostly right about the others, GA has beautiful art though. And I'd say Deathstroke has a real chance of being great....too bad it'll crossover with Titans.

Sadly, there's just not that many truly great comics being published at the moment, sot these safe, somewhat okayish titles are getting all this praise because there really isn't that much(from any publisher) right now that's truly amazing.

I'm hoping for some interesting fringe minis in the future. Midnighter was good(though the last few issues weren't as good imo) so I'm hopeful for Midnighter and Apollo. Blanco is amazing so I'mma have to buy that. Adam Strange/Hawkman has sucky art but Andreyko is good and I like both characters. The Superman line is very disappointing but hopefully that upcoming anthology will be good.

>Sadly, there's just not that many truly great comics being published at the moment, sot these safe, somewhat okayish titles are getting all this praise because there really isn't that much(from any publisher) right now that's truly amazing.
Exactly.

Although, I will argue that there are some books from other publishers that, while they may not be "amazing" are still better than milquetoast. But I guess most comic readers just prefer consistency and continuity to creativity.

I like it a lot but it's not that good either. I think while Abnett gets most of the characters, his Aquaman himself is a little off. I don't like how preachy or talky he comes off as. Aquaman to me, while never quiet, was more of a guy who always tried to get his point across in as few words as possible, with a sort of attitude that implied that he was sort of just sick of all the bullshit. That said, I really like the idea of the embassy and the plot is heading in an interesting direction. The art is pretty good too and I feel like Abnett has a pretty good grasp on most of the other characters.

I still need to read Parker's run though. Supposedly it's not bad at all.

It's really enjoyable! Rebirth as a whole hasn't been troubled to push through envelope. It's more of a settling in period for a lot of heroes, and really that's all I wanted. Something familiar and fun.

Not all of the books have touched my interest, but for the ones that have, Aquaman is definitely among them.

What is Rebirth anyway? They couldn't have rebooted everything AGAIN could they?

What's Sup Forums's thoughts on The Flash? I read a few issues and it didn't grab me. Has it gotten better?

this guy is right

>Best Rebirth Book

My homeboy Ollie here would beg to differ

But they're telling this to people who already are reading an Aquaman comic. They're preaching to the choir.

Johns' runs was good overall but the first couple of issues suffered due to this.

Hey Robin Hood, go play with your little john.

You go suck on your mom's clam, Arielo of Atlantis

I've been known to dive for Black Canary's pearl while you're filling Speedy's quiver.

maybe you should have spent more time watching after your kid
just an idea

>Black Manta shitposting on Sup Forums
He needs every outlet for his hatred he can find.

HEEEEEEEEEEEE KIIIIIIIIIIILLEEEEEEEEEED MYYYYYYYYYYYYY DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Does he have to surface to get connected online?

>I find that a majority of the praise for Rebirth is simply because the stories are familiar. After new 52 tried to shake things up and Marvel is going full tumblr, most readers take comfort in the familiarity offered here.

You're not wrong. I go to a comic book centric forum with a memberbase that mostly tends to sway towards late 30's/early 60's. Opinions there tend to be against Rebirth and rightly so because to them these are stories that they've seen time and again they want something new. You should have seen their reactions to Johns becoming DC's cheif creative officer, it wasn't pretty

Oh, yeah, last issue was all about Mera and Arthur fighting generic military guys, it was so interesting. Oh, wait.

It was fine with Johns because New 52 brought in a lot of new readers, some that never read a comic book with Aquaman in their lives. Abnett regressing back to that is just stupid though.

Johns doing it in the first place probably wasn't the best of ideas, but it was probably good to get that out of the way. Like it was telling the readers
>"Yeah, okay, he's why Aquaman is lame. We know you know, now let us show you why we think he deserves your respect."

It was. The United States of America is very close to starting all out war with Atlantis. Aquaman might even have to fight the Justice League.

>Aquaman vs the Justice League
He has no chance, and yet I kind of want to see him beat them up.

Dumb question: but how strong is Aquaman when compared to Supes?

Not strong enough. Aquaman is still in the category of people who can kill anything alive by punching it though. Looking at the wiki, his swimming speed is 100 mph, which takes a lot of calves.

He couldnt take him in a 1v1 but I'm pretty sure Tula is going to send the Atlantian military to arthur. It's gonna turn into Atlantian military and aquaman fighting superman. It's halarious that aquaman's strategies for peace keep getting fucked over by these hot headed women.

He's more equal to Wonder Woman.

>He couldn't take him in a 1v1
I wouldn't be so sure, let's not forget Aquaman can do magic, and magic has a way of fucking with Supes.

>He is set to do Aquaman - Earth One!
He was but that may have been canned by now. It was announced alongside JMS Flash E1 and JMS said the contracts were never fully arranged for that and DC put the E1 line on the backburner for Rebirth. No confirmation on whether that extends to Manapul or not, but with him doing Trinity it seems unlikely Aquaman Earth One is still going to happen. Always could, but it'll be much later.

Apparently there were behind the scenes stuff where he was gonna fuck over the relationship in some way. You can tell something was up, since Mera is supposed to be captured, yet manages to free herself easy peasy in the climactic issue. The whole thing felt rushed and riddled with re-writes. Either that, or it was just bad writing.

What New 52 arc of Aquaman should I read? I heard that some of them are bad.

Eh. I thought it was a unique approach. Made Aquaman feel like more than just underwater Superman. I appreciated it more than the whole "just make him a loner bad-ass" approach that happened in the '90s. Although it certainly worked for all of my normie friends who played Injustice.

How do they feel about Young Animal?

Start at #1, read until you don't enjoy it anymore. Cullen Bunn takes over at issue 40, and his crap is shit, so definitely bail out there, at the very latest.

Although, you may like it, never know. It has some interesting concepts but utterly fails to make any of them compelling. And his costume fucking sucks.

Someone feel like sharing the Rebirth Aquaman so far?

Yeah, Bunn said editors wanted to kill Mera and he was all "hell no".
Which is weird since he said he's not fan of Aquaman and hated writing him.

Thanks senpai

To storytime or to tell what happened so far?

Just the Johns written ones.

>And his costume fucking sucks.
His Swiss Army Trident of Poseidon was awesome, though.

I hated the first few issues, and liked issues 3 and 4, but I am worried I allowed others to influence my opinion.

Not Parker's as well?

He's memeing, read everything.
You can totally skip Bunn.

Or a share. It's quicker, honestly.

I wouldn't mind story time, but I'm too lazy to do it. Viewcomic.com

www80.zippyshare.com/v/QEjt6x3l/file.html
www3.zippyshare.com/v/FdFXWJsw/file.html
www40.zippyshare.com/v/4VyDPAsl/file.html
www57.zippyshare.com/v/BUDVGbf2/file.html
www70.zippyshare.com/v/zyapc5Gx/file.html
www111.zippyshare.com/v/aOzJPXDe/file.html

Thanks

>GA
>WW
>Superman
>RH&TO
>Aquaman
Can't narrow it down to one, but these are the 5 I've enjoyed the most. Fucking Red Hood has possibly been the best qualitative surprise I've seen out of two issues in years.

I only wish Lobdell pulls another Convergence: Blue Beetle. That book was sexy as fuck.