Just finished seeing the final episode of Wander Over Yonder and there's something that bothers me

Just finished seeing the final episode of Wander Over Yonder and there's something that bothers me.

Would the series have been ruined if Wander was able to redeem Dominator at the end? I mean they spent a good chunk of season two hammering in the fact that Lord Dominator is beyond redemption. So doesn't it seem like a cop out to go against the message that not everyone can be redeemed by teasing the possibility of having her turning over a new leaf?

Other urls found in this thread:

maria-ruta.tumblr.com/post/88381371767/as-i-said-posting-all-the-palettes-in-one-post
imgur.com/DIF5GmK
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well the entire show is far darker than it appears since the protagonists failed to save the galaxy and wrote the whole thing off because of some super flower.

So it makes sense Dominator would still be evil after all that. Why wouldn't she? The heroes are idiots that let her get away galactic murder. Who would want to be a good guy if that's the kind of behavior you'd have to look forward too?

>by teasing the possibility of having her turning over a new leaf
Personally I didn't see that in the finale, she's still as petty as before.

Wander cracked her armor, and has proven that he has the raw endurance to never ever quit. That's probably as good as you can get without a lot more seasons.

>Would the series have been ruined if Wander was able to redeem Dominator at the end?

Not in the eyes of deluded waifufags

Says you, I like her because she's evil.

It's a classic case of what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object, the first one that blinks loses. Dominator realised that staying in that galaxy would turn her into lord Hater and eventually into Jeff, so she quit.

Dominator was going to be redeemed in season 3. Without her power she quickly became a ronery tsundere

That would've been so shit.

Overanalyzing and overestimating her thinking at the time.

She's just an awkward anti-social dork that doesn't entirely know how to respond. If there was just one more season I bet she would've been converted easily. Much more than hater, actually. He seems to be the more stubborn of the two.

>She's just an awkward anti-social dork that doesn't entirely know how to respond.

You really hit the nail on top of the head there.

Honestly I think it was the best answer they could give.
Having her turn over a new leaf would have been a cop out but having her destroyed would have gone against the message of the series.

>the message of the series
"you can't accomplish anything if you are alone"
this one?

this show definitely needed that one totally unredeemable character in it. dominator destroyed their entire galaxy, and if they didnt completely status quo the galaxy for season 3 (because face it, thatd be boring as hell), theres no way in hell theyd be able to play her being redeemed off. best case scenario itd be like black cube of darkness trying to assimilate, minus the forgiveness after wander's interference

they could have always eternally imprisoned her. the series doesnt seem to object torture, especially if wander's the one torturing.

The main reason they laid the offer of Dom's redemption on the table was that Disney wouldn't allow them to kill off a character in a DTV cartoon. Even if they're the villain.

Isn't that the reason why everyone likes her?

No. The entire point of the show was love vs hate, not good vs evil. If they had the chance to make a third season then a redeemed then a redeemed Dominator would actually make sense, since it would prove Wander can help even the irredeemable.

Did you really expect that Dominator's irredeemable status would be permanent?

Why not? They're plenty of villains in both fiction and history that are irredeemable.

Yes, but this is WOY. Everybody's redeemable.

I want more Wander, guys..

This. Wander managed to redeem a literal cube of concentrated darkness and evil. If he can do that nothing is impossible for him.

Would you settle for a reboot made twelve years from now with 90% of the voice cast replaced and written by an entirely different staff who never watched the series to begin with?

No. Part of why I love the show is because the voice acting is so on point. I can't hear Wander talk without smiling. I'd rather have a comic.

The population of the galaxy was also saved by a galactical conqueror and dictator while the good guy became a damsel in distress and wasn't able to do anything. The moral of the story is that you should never stop being an overlord and that hippies are useless in a war.

>1000 years later, Dominator has replaced Wander as the persistent traveling hero.

Yeah this. Hater is in constant denial regarding his friendship with Wander and other things. Dominator only cares about having fun and I think she'd switch more easily if she found a person she can have fun with, which almost happened in the Nightout.
It was confirmed that the galaxy would have been something completely new in season 3. All of the planets would have been "reborn" as something more or less different from what they were before.

My goodness, that's so adorable and pure!

I think the staff had big things planned and were using season two as a "transitional" season to set the stage for big challenges in season 3. Dominator wasn't my favorite character, but I'm pleased her 'ending' was more about how you can't always make everyone into your friend.

Frankly I'm more peeved we never got anyone's origin story. I want to know more about Hater's history and Wander's unusual longevity.

Didn't Craig say that the third season would've taken place in an entiry different galaxy tham the one we spent in the first two seasons?

Maybe that was more metaphorical than literal, if the entire existing galaxy is "reborn" at the end due to the monsato flower's pollen.

I couldn't stop laughing at Hater's faces for the whole episode.

Shit that would make perfect sense even her dislike for Hater fits

Yeah same here. But so many fucking cartoons are getting cancelled that I don't even try to understand the reasoning anymore. Some fans wanted to watch UK WoY's episodes to show that people are still caring but it seems like the channel was switching the schedule all the time and shit mostly aired early in the morning - they did the same shit with a lot of cartoons in the US. They had good ratings and then they air them during some shitty time when nobody watches it or air them on some different channel people don't use or other things and then they eventually cancel it; usually without telling the creators about it early enough so that everything ends with a cliffhanger or otherwise open story. It's like they want cartoons to die.

There's a rumor floating around the fandom of an alternate ending to season two that had Dominator accepting Wander's offer of friendship after both are presumed dead in her ship's explosion by everyone in this galaxy and they go to wander across another galaxy with Dominator as Wander's new traveling companion

I love how this show said "fuck the lore" and even overtly mocked those who thought it was important.

>Wander leaving Sylvia and Hater
Sounds like a headcanon

I mean, there was lore, but the characters just didn´t really give a crap about it.

I actually thought it made sense to keep both Dominator and Hater evil at the end. Only, slightly less evil.
Dominator proved that there could be good in her if she just tried, but she doesn't.
Hater proves there can be good in him if he tries, he actually tries, he enjoys it and he then goes back to being evil. Because, well, that's in character for Hater. He just enjoys being "cool" too much. And as much as he could enjoy the attention for being a good guy, he'd lose the "edge" he believes comes from evil.
I think it's realistic closure for both characters, at least, for the time being. If they had had a third season they´d probably have redeemed them completely.

Not necessarily. I mean Wander's done the same song and dance routine all over the universe with plenty of different villains. So who's to say he hasn't had several companions throughout his travels over the years?

>even overtly mocked those who thought it was important

When did this happen?

For example, that episode that paid homage to a Batman TAS episode in which a bunch of kids get together to discuss the different interpretations of Batman during the years.
The teenage girl explains her whole headcanon (using fandom terms, such as "canon" and "feels") in which basically Wander belongs to a cosmic race of wanderers, Hater is his dad, Dominator is his sister (so Hater would want to put his dick inside his daughter), and basiclaly every villain in the galaxy is related to Wander. Wander just looks at Sylvia and shakes his head with a look of exhausted disgust.

Yeah they said Hater would have had to deal with him being a hero now and people probably not fearing him anymore. I guess it's something different when you conquer a planet and everyone is suddently happy about it because you're their idol and even the idol of your former idol (Jeff).

>that goddamned quote in Melodie's signature
I dont know whether I should feel proud or shameful that I recognized it

>so Hater would want to put his dick inside his daughter
Wasn't that an actual fan-theory? The difference was that Wander was the other dad there. I am pretty sure Dave even mentioned it once when someone asked him about fan head canons or something.

I remember something of Dominator being Hater's daughter who wanted to show him how it's really done and went to his galaxy to prove herself in front of him.
I also recall a theory before people knew of Dominator's gender, which was basically Hater's dad is coming to show him how it's done.

Yeah they thought she was from the future and made that connection because of her armor and horns - but that was all just so she could mock Hater who was the most well known villain of the new galaxy.
Makes me wonder how her armor looked like before she decided to visit this galaxy. She probably didn't even call herself Lord Dominator by that time since this is most likely just another pun on the name Lord Hater.

>mfw Dave Thomas (the director, no affiliation with Wendy's) has stated on Tumblr Dr. Screwball Jones is beyond redemption
Some characters you just can't save...

It's interesting how that's simultaneously a joke and something serious. Perhaps screwball can't be saved because he actually feels like what he's doing is right, therefore delusional enough to never actively change? Most villains in WoY love being evil, but Screwball just wants people to be happy. He's just going about it the wrong way.

Lord Dominator is not beyond redeemable. She is not evil in the sense that she is a psychopath but rather she is covering up some feelings she does not know about. That's why she acts tsundere when Wander calls her out for it. Her taking the orange is the shows way of showing that she does want to redeemed but needs to find her way.

Truly he is without remorse.

It was shown that Wander broke through her resolve a little bit but she's stubborn and childish.

Alright mates, petition reached its goal, 35k signatures. Whats the chances of it coming back?

>Would the series have been ruined if Wander was able to redeem Dominator at the end?
No, the series would not have been ruined if Wander had redeemed Dominator, but it would have bugged several people, myself included.
My reasoning as to why is seeing the characters as devices.
Wander exist to show us how warped the cartoon's reality is in comparison to ours.
Sylvia is there to show us what a flawed but sensible person from our reality would do in the cartoon's reality.
Wander has been wrong before, see the egg incident from season 1 and the Mecharobobotitron fiasco, but redeeming Dominator would just show us how different their reality is from ours, and how such a change makes morality different.
What bugged me about the show's ending was the following:
1) Turing Dominator into a platonic tsundere. I hate tsunderes. as I see them as nothing more but unnatural violent contrarians. Dominator being lonely I understand, but being evil because she was lonely irked me in a particularly grievous way.
2) Seeing Lord Hater at his best, and only to see him at his worst by the end of the episode. They did this just to assure us that the status quo is absolute, to assure us all is well that ends well. But still, that wasn't assuring or entertaining to me.

Yeah, he is basically Anti-Wander. It's the same for real people, you can't even begin to change or stop somebody if they are convinced to be on the right side and never questions themselves.

Here's why I like her.
I imagine if she was flesh blood and bone, adjusted to be realistic in proportions, she would have a sexy body.
She is joyous and intelligent.
She is energetic, flexible, and agile.
She has no problem letting people see her shaking ass and jiggling boobs.
I imagine that she built her ship, armor, and her robots, which is to be respected.
Why I know I would like her if she was real
She is emotionally sadistic.
She is seductively manipulative. She's sexy and she knows it.
In our universe she would do what she did not our of boredom and loneliness: She would have done what she did out of ego and loneliess as she would have seen all else as beneath her.

>In short
Sexy, perky, and respectable/admirable, but manipulative, cruel, and egocentric.

I wish it would, I mean really. I am way more into that series than just casually thinking about it when there is a thread but I don't believe it works.

Cartoons get cancelled all the time, many of them even have very good ratings or win prizes like WoY and they get cancelled nonetheless. Maybe it's some kind of theory some CEOs or marketings fags have about how cartoons have to be and which type of cartoon will produce shittons of money on the long run or which type is appropiate for children. This happened a lot of times before. I also heard people say that Zim was cancelled because the channel realised that the fanbase was older than the age they wanted to aim at and then there are things like Moral Orel which had even better ratings later but got cancelled nonetheless because it became too serious or too plot-driven for the channel.
You can't really guess the real reason but it's almost always some bullshit that has nothing to do with the quality of the series or maybe not even the quotes. If it's really fucking popular they will use the IP, revive it as zombie and produce some shit with different directors like the new Powerpuff Girls years later.

Wishful thinking and enjoyable imaginings that seem as if they were inspired by Doctor Who.
It seems like a head cannon, but a beautiful one.

I admit I'm a waifu fag. And I am ill minded. If she could be redeemed, I would corrupted her again just to spite
>LORD HATER
by living his dream.

>and how such a change makes morality different.
Yeah this is the usual problem I have with these kind of morals. If a good deed only works in a fictional world (like saving angry people with love and understanding) it's a useless moral for the watcher since it won't work that way in real life. Wander's message of love works with villains like Hater who are insecure and rather bad at their work which makes sense, even in real life to some degree. But it can't always work, especially not if the villain is some (theoretically) genocidal maniac like her.
I think something is meaningless if it's always working and on any given circumstance, since it just turns into a void plot device in that case. So I was happy that it was Hater who saved the galaxy and that Dom was still more or less evil by the end of the last episode instead of a magical transformation due to Wander speech or something.

Can I ask a general question?
Why was this show so poorly marketed and rarely advertised?
It was a good, competent, and enjoyable show that suffered from a lack of something I don't understand, ratings. What the hell.

I understand you brother.
Even though I'm one of the Waifu-fags, I understand you.

What I liked was that she messed with the naivete and gullibility of the characters of that universe. I really love the four MCs but their funny and wacky world is so different from reality that there won't ever be a scene in which you don't notice this. And then she comes and acts like a maniac from some other universe or galaxy, or maybe just the real world. The characters weren't prepared for that because she's actually evil and a real threat and bascially smashed that into the MCs faces. Hater was always just the softhearted jerk, like Dom claimed him to be. He never was a villain like her.

Sauce on this art?

Nobody knows. See It never got or gets actual advertisement and it only airs on shitty channels and/or shitty timeslots and usually irregularly and stops airing pretty soon.
They just hate something about it.

>tickling
Shit tier fetish.

maria-ruta.tumblr.com/post/88381371767/as-i-said-posting-all-the-palettes-in-one-post

Even if there was a nude version of this particular drawing

Daily reminder that Wander probably tickled Hater as well unless Hater mentioned his 17 tickling points in some book or something and that's how Wander learned about it.
Speaking of it I wonder which kind of book he has written. It was mentioned that he wrote one, in The Buddies I think.

>all this discussion about Dominator's redeemability
This is why I like the Domineet concept. Instead of just coming around, she ends up broken and depressed because of her defeat, a flabby shell of her former self.

And there's Wander. Showing up every day trying to cheer her up. He hasn't given up on her. He never will, and he's going to be there to help her through this whether she wants him to or not. It's beautiful.

yes

We all do user.

Yeah I am pretty sure she'd be a NEET and internet addict if she'd live in our would, without the power she had.
And Hater would probably some delusional chuuni guy, shitposter and gamer who creates an edgy internet persona of himself.

Depends how well drawn and how cringeworthy it is.

>mickey mouse gloves

This is why being denied another season is so painful. Seeing Dom going through similar motions that Hater went through in the beginning of season two would've been so interesting to see onscreen.

The funny thing about this is that the roles would be reversed in Gravity Falls' case.

Would you take it up the ass for season 3?

Evil, quite evil, don't you think.

Obviously morals aren't absolute, the world is never black and white. But Wander's world and morals are a reflection of that. Wander is never willing to paint someone as simply evil, he wants too see the actual root of the problem instead of just attacking blindly. Where most people see an evil maniac, Wander see's a troubled soul crying out for help. Simply understanding people better is the main message of the show.

Nah. It wouldn't be worth the hassle even if they followed through with their end of the bargain.

Got any more art of Domineet?

Mind linking it so I can see for myself?

Sorry to keep you waiting

imgur.com/DIF5GmK

Thanks. Got a source for these?

You can easily find them at Pixiv.

>"This is the guy you thought was a bigger threat than Hater?!"
>"HE WHAT?!"
That scene was perfection.

the end of the series sorta ended with Wander being kinda wrong
Dominator is a counter to Wander, where he likes to help and wants to be friends with everyone she hurts everyone and doesn't want friends.
it took someone like Hater to take her down

but that what makes Dominator an interesting villain. she causes the main character to question their own morals and even be wrong at times.
and she was an actual threat to boot
and lets not forget making her hot is a clever way to fool viewers biological imperative to favor what they find attractive, rather than what's ugly. it plays against human nature and the writers cleverly use it to their advantage to make viewers want to see her redeemed.
her being redeemed would honestly be the worst thing for her character honestly

its more of a villain than you can ask from the other shows around WoY

But even though Wander was wrong in the end about Dominator, he was right that Hater could be changed so its not a complete lose for Wander

Wander wasn't wrong about Dominator. He looked her in the eye, and eventually she blinked. She made some admissions under duress, and ultimately took the gift basket. Dominator is a tough project, but Wander is an irresistible force.

Should I feel guilty that I ship these two?

A little. Wander is not for romance.

he is for fug

I want to see a future series. Set in the distant future. Dominator has started going by the name "Wander", and she travels around on her robot steed while trying to do good the same way her hero did. She now wears his hat. She has a temper, but usually calms down enough to follow the right philosophy.

I ship them too. I'm a sucker for good guy/bad girl ships.

But what about friendship? And I'm not talking about a friends with benefits sort of thing.

I have zero doubt that Wander haunted her until she was reformed. Hugging is mandatory therapy.

Yes, it is a shit ship. Nah, it's cool.

Peace through power

>Every day Wander makes a sneak attack hug that she never sees coming.
>The whole meaning of the act is completely beyond her understanding of the universe.
>After several years there is a day in which she is having an especially bad day.
>Wander is late or something.
>He finally shows up.
>She can't help but hug back.

Only if Dominator makes the first move.

I like the AU character better