Is it too late for him to buy back Star Wars?

Is it too late for him to buy back Star Wars?

Other urls found in this thread:

financialjuneteenth.com/george-lucas-to-give-massive-5-billion-dollar-wealth-to-charity/
slashfilm.com/george-lucas-speaks-altering-films-1988/
ft.com/content/9e3e42fa-fda7-11e4-b824-00144feabdc0
ft.com/tour.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He was blackballed out of his own universe bud, disney would leave bodies in his pool before he got that universe back.

Disney paid 4.05 billion for Lucasfilm.
Microsoft bought Minecraft for 2.5 Billion.

He should have asked for $10B-$15B at least. Disney is going to make bank on this franchise for decades

why did he do it

because $4B is a FUCK ton of money

He already had money though.

when you get to god tier wealth, the differences are exponentially significant

One does not buy back IP from megacorps. They'll own that shit forever.

Because the fans are immature man-children

Go suck some midichlorians out of Jar Jar's rancid fart hole. The only things Lucas was ever good at was being a technical visionary and, really fucking strangely, an avant garde film maker. He was fucking great at those two things but completely sucked balls at Star Wars.

he's also a shit filmmaker to be fair...

financialjuneteenth.com/george-lucas-to-give-massive-5-billion-dollar-wealth-to-charity/

After disbursing his $5 billion fortune, he will become one of the world’s top individual philanthropists.

And he'll still only be remembered for fucking up Star Wars.

only by manchildren on here. revenge is the best star wars made

I hope Disney gets The X-men away from Fox, but then there will never be R-rated Disney films, maybe they'll get the characters right.

He doesn't have the money for that. Star Wars is worth way more than 4 billion, Disney got a steal

I don't think he fucked up. For not bowing to OT nostalgia/worship? Like Disney? Sure bud. You go watch your mary sue rey and her colorful carbon copies.

Worst fan base to ever exist.

"Hurr durr midichlorians shouldn't be in Star Wars! I'll take a force tree though, thanks Disney!! Please make a shit ton of references to the OT, Han Solo, Vader and Boba Fett! I want my kidz to enjoy it like I did!!"

>Selling your children to white slavers
>Then trying to buy them back
It's probably a good thing he never had actual children.

>Worst fan base to ever exist.
There are worse.

literally no one thinks this.

Your taste sucks, but hey, you really like lightsabers.

Only I don't think thats what fans actually wanted...probably just well written characters that are faithful to the original trilogy and performed by good actors...and more real world sets.

>not bowing to OT nostalgia

You're either great at trolling or shit at watching movies. It's probably the second since you think a "mary sue" is a thing.

>He was blackballed out of his own universe bud
it was RLM and all the brainwashed brainless hipsters hating on him

Lol.

Too funny. Oh noes..will your daughter cry if Rey doesn't overpower everyone? How will you explain that to her!?

>George hate started with RLM
jesus christ I hate you underage post-milennials. I was actually awake during the late 90s + early 2000s. this is false.

Gen X ruined Star Wars

Is George a legit retard? I can't tell. He is a master at creating unique designs and compelling worlds, but he is a complete retard every where else.

Normies don't even know that people hated those movies, hell some normies still think Lucas is directing the new movies

/thread

He essentially hadn't used the internet for anything besides email in over a decade because of all the unprovoked vitrol from MUH OT babbies.
He wanted to make more but didn't want the hate he would have automatically gotten for doing it, so he said "fuck you, let's see if you really are better off without me," and sold. Of course, he couldn't have known that Disney would buy his sequel scripts and proceed to do completely different films on which he had no input.
>we will never see the George Lucas Sequel Trilogy

He needed a lot of help with human interaction on screen. He might be one of the better people for building visuals and technical shit but he loses fine notes of things when trying to craft a story through human pieces.

His vision was better interpreted through directors that allowed him not to be under so much stress like irvin.

Though I think the academy hated him for not playing by their rules and it kept him from having his friends help him more on it.

George should have used different directors and just did world building/producer shit about world building. Ron Howard did a surprisingly great job with Willow.

I would have used him in prequels. Allow him to do the day to day shit and let george play idea guy. Howard would have worked a lot better with the dialogue at least.

So were millenials? Do you not know when millenials were born?

I fundamentally disagree with the year designation. people in their mid 30s still being millennials?? get the fuck outta herreeeee

I can't fault the man for his vision, what I can fault him for is being a hypocrite. He was against the colourisation of movies to preserve them in the state the public remembers them then decides to remaster the shit out of Star Wars, almost discarding the originals away.

George's initial concept of The Star Wars was that his director buddies would all get a crack at making their own Episodes. As much as he's a lazy fuck who can't handle all the duties being writer/director/producer brings, he was unhappy with the way Kershner in particular fiddled with the shooting script. Hence why he got yesman Marquand for ROTJ.

I really dislike generational terms because they always become digressions of "Oh no, I'm not in that group" but Millennials are basically anyone born after 1980.

I think the main difference is that colorized movies were never done by the directors of those movies. Meanwhile Star Wars, while not solely directed by George, is his creation so I can see a justification for him wanting to bring his vision out.

At the same time though, the arguments he made against the colourisation of movies can be applied to Star Wars. Honestly, I personally wouldn't care if he at least kept the original theatrical release version somewhere safe, allow for the choice to always go back to it.

he wasn't railing against just colorization. he describes almost everything he did to alter star wars to a tee. its eerie:

>These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with “fresher faces,” or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor’s lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new “original” negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.

>In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

slashfilm.com/george-lucas-speaks-altering-films-1988/

Yeah it would've been nice if he'd kept the originals, so we wouldn't be stuck with fucking LaserDisc as the best official release of them, but he had to go full autismo sometime. I bet he destroyed the prints after the 2004 version got slammed in some sort of spiteful rage.

Truth

But even a yes man worked better because he can recognize things beyond george's autismo spectrum.

Jedi was better than Empire.

unless you have an Ewok fetish there is really no reason for this to be true.

I think we should explore the universe of the kangz pilots kino further

The fact that you ignore the incredible conclusion with Vader/Luke/Palpatine's showdown to dwell on ewoks tells me who here really has the fetish.

>Star Wars 8 starts where 7 left off
>Luke whips out his Jedi Tricorder
>EXQUEESE ME your metachlorian count is off the charts!

>some faggots on Sup Forums are so contrarian they'll claim the prequels were good just to distance themselves from the reddit and twitter crowd

If you're a retarded faggot, perhaps.

If you appreciated depth and adventure, you'd know that Return of the Jedi is the best film in the series. But you're brainwashed by the contrarian zeitgeist within Sup Forums that thinks that metacommentary and speculation can absolve boring, shitty films of being boring and shitty.

Didn't he sold it for Disney stock

>70's George will never come back

>why did he do it
Because he was blackmailed. He'll never be able to buy back Star Wars.

Please use the sharing tools found via the email icon at the top of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at ft.com/tour.

Mr Lucas sold his Lucasfilm group to Disney at the end of 2012, receiving $2.2bn in cash and 37.1m Disney shares, according to regulatory filings. At the time, Mr Lucas’s Disney shares were worth $1.9bn, giving the deal a total value of $4.1bn.

But the shares he received are now also worth $4.1bn, giving the Lucasfilm deal a total value of approximately $6.3bn.

Lucas earns a little under a billion dollars from 2 percent of disney empire that he owns. Every year.

How do you even deliver that much cash to someone?