Kubo and the Two Strings

Just got back from the premiere. Fucking incredible. I was not prepared for how good this movie would be.

Way more hardcore than I expected. It was not afraid to get dark, even in the first 5 minutes, it shocked me, and blew me away in general.

The action sequences were really great, well choreographed, creative, well shot, and very well animated.

The animation was even better than expected. It struck the perfect balance between stylized and photorealistic. I didn't think stop motion could be photo realistic.

Easily Laika's best, fuck, best big studio animated film since The Incredibles.

How empty was the theatre

Fairly? There was a small family and a big one, and an elderly couple. But it was also a Thursday showing in August

nice shilling but I'd rather watch Sausage Party.

I was the only person there and i didn't pay for my ticket
I really liked it but i wish it was longer just to see more bonding with beetle and monkey

I seriously recommend everyone go to the theater and watch this. It was incredible.

In the theater now, it's empty except for my group

Snuck into this movie tonight, it shits all over Coraline and ParaNorman. It needs to win the Oscar.
I wish I had paid for it.

My 7pm showing was 75% full, mostly tumblr, autists and Asian couples with a few kids who seemed to like it.

Thought the story was a little rushed at times, maybe kind of relied too much on the audience knowing what comes next in a traditional quest narrative, but the visuals were incredible and made up for it. Great physical comedy too, the improved tech really helped.

I want to fuck the Sisters. Hoping they get lewds.

>autists
D-do you mean people that went there alone?

Fuck now I really want to see it, Coraline is probably one of my favorite movies ever. Was this better or worse then it?

I went alone and am half an autist, so yes. Also, guy behind me was talking loudly in monotone through the credits about how much he loved Japanese and Chinese culture so I kind of assumed.

Also seemed like there were some Sup Forums or neo/co/ people in the back going by a few key phrases.

Going to see this on Sunday. Looking very forward to it cause it seems right up my alley. My favorite movie of all time is The Flight of Dragons, so an adultish quest movie is my cake.

>tfw you found out what the two strings were

Is this online yet?

That reveal was so good. Everything was so good.

Wonder if Japan will like it.

I absolutely loved this, easily the best Laika movie so far. That animation and style, so good. And the end credits were fantastic.

No, and it won't be online until the Bluray/Digital Copies come out.

Unless you're a fucking disgusting pleb who wants to watch a film with animation like this as a fucking camrip.

My theater was full and i went to times square, I really enjoyed it, it was great, I just want to know if the movie was really about memories and alzheimer's.

is it satire like Paranorman? don't care much for seeing satire in theatre

nah its not satire.

more symbolize

No, it was about coping with death and mortality.

Sup Forums, is it really that bad to go to a movie alone? I always feel self-conscious when I go to one or a restaurant by myself.

I definitely see that but the mom losing her memory and the grandfather in the end not knowing what he did or who Kubo even was, its just so many questions

So tomorrow, I get Thunderbolt Fantasy AND Kubo?

Sweet

I haven't been to a movie with friends since Thor when my friend spent the entire movie giggling over Thor's hot bod. And I go about once a week.

The thing is user, people generally don't give a shit about what you're doing. They're too concerned with what they're doing.

There's nothing wrong with going to the movies by yourself, it's just that there are a lot of insecure faggots here on Sup Forums who are afraid of what strangers might think of them.

no one gives a shit. Just go alone, the non-blockbusters are enjoyed more alone anyway

Who cares about this Chinese shit no one's ever heard of?

>Chinese

*Korean

On the theater right now, about to begin. Can't wait

Yes. Why today on /r9k/ a robot just got bulled by a bunch of teenage girls for going to a movie alone. Do you want to get bullied by teenage girls?

Stay at home and pirate!

>Do you want to get bullied by teenage girls?
Yes. Yes I do.

How does the movie compare to Laika's other films? I absolutely adore Paranorman, but The Boxtrolls was an utter borefest for me -- I ended up just not watching it after twenty minutes.

It's different. What do you want to judge by?

For story and overall design (character, set, costume, music) kubo takes the cake hands down and I really liked coraline's character design. I the conflict in coraline better though, because there's a centralized villian. Kubo is very much set up like a quest with a big baddie at the end and very cool monsters along the way.

Overall though, Kubo is slightly above Coraline and both are great movies.

My little cousin wants to see this.
Should I take her?

I hope more people see it this weekend. Laika deserves all the support it can get.

Support the movie bruh. Laika really deserves it for this one.

Thought I was the only one but then more and more people slowly came in. This one pair would not stop going in and out of the theater.

It isn't sexy its just humiliating. Unless you find being humiliated sexy.

Not satire. Just an honest samurai themed quest movie w/ monsters.

Personally:

Kubo>Coraline>>Paranorman>>>>>>>Boxtrolls.

Damn I gotta wait till Sunday to see this, glad to hear it's really good though.

Yeah, but depending on how little and if she gets nightmares easily. The sisters gave me the creeps when first introduced.

If she can handle coraline and other mother, than this is great for her.

Just saw it.
Story was okay but that FUCKING ANIMATION THOUGH

holy shit

best part was that there was a good amount of people in the theater too

Makes me sad that there was

lucky you, i need to wait till 2nd december, time for holiday blockbusters.

FUCK YOU

I thought it was great, liked it more than Laika's other movies, probably tied for best with Coraline.

Just felt a little rushed.

Well that was a good movie.

Yeah I liked Coraline more for its story but Kubo definitely beat it on a technical level. They're about tied for me.

Did that cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps play during the movie?

People go to restaurants alone?

It plays during the end credits. I'm not the biggest fan of Regina Spektor, but I thing she handled the song pretty well.

I don't mean like fancy restaurants, I meant fast food. Is going to fast food restaurants alone weird?

Of course not, autist

No.

>tfw Kubo and the Two Strings was the only enjoyable movie you've seen all year

Just got back from a midnight showing. It was just me and some family members, one other family, and one 20-some guy by himself with long hair.

Pic related was how I felt on the inside. Weeks and months I just kept wondering why it was called Kubo and the Two Strings. I was filled with a lot of joy during that scene.

The action scenes were awesome. The Sisters intro was really cool and creepy. Monkey a best. Kubo is the sweetest Laika kid.

I want to discuss more things, but I don't want anybody to accidentally hover over a spoiler.

KUBO more like KINO.

Fucking incredible indeed 10/10. Better than anything Disney has EVER shat out.

>‘If you have been following Kubo news you’ll know all about our giant skeleton! But this little guy has sort of fallen through the cracks, which is not surprising, he is so tiny!! This was the smallest articulated puppet on the show. There were many scales of the Hanzo puppet used on the film. This tiny Hanzo was used for some long shots to sit on Kubo’s shoulder.
Go watch the film, and see if you can spot when we used him!’ - Phillip Dale, Animator

Do you think Kubo knows how to play Wonderwall?

Why expected to be empty? The ads are everywhere, it's actually making me not want to watch it, sort of like how MLP fans made me not watch the show. I'll watch it anyway though.

So like Book of Life?

what happened to his eye?

Car accident.

really? not even deadpool or zootropolis?

I go to restaurants alone all the time, usually before I go to the movies alone. Most of the time it's either burgers or sushi; today before Kubo it was Red Robin.

Nobody cares if you're alone, they're focusing on their own thing. And if they do, who cares what they think?

oops
meant for

I've seen The Lobster, Drive, Birdman and The Babadook, all of them very enjoyable. Especially Drive and The Lobster.

His grandfather gouged it out.

Not really a spoiler, it's established before the Title screen. The movie opens on a woman with her baby on the stormy seas, survivng one wave, but then getting crushed by another one behind her, smashing her head on the rocks, and washing up on the shore with a major head injury, and then dragging herself through the rocks to her baby, with a bloody head bandage over the missing eye, explaining that his grandfather stole it.

>that scene where Monkey explains to Beetle she didn't tell Kubo she was his mom because her magic was running was running out and she didn't want him to lose his mother twice

H-holy shit, I wasn't ready for that

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Damn.

The more I hear about this, the more I want to watch it. Too bad it doesn't seem to be showing in any of the malls I go to.

Since you're the first person to mention that type of spoiler. I'd also like to add how sweet it was that Beetle and Kubo had so much in common in their mannerisms, from the way they ate and how they both didn't like to do what they were told. Kubo was just like his father, like his mother said he was.

If he wants to get laid in the '90s then he better know it.

What a fucking faggot. Yeah, the movie is totally centered around Shinto, but that's not fucking problem.

It's refreshing in kid's film, and god forbid they're exposed to some new ideas/cultures in their movies.

so what was paper Hanzo exactly?

Did this film use any smears?

That is about as edge lord fedora tipping as you can get
does he get triggered if people share a ghost story?

Why was the armor set complete shit?

Just a magically manifested assistant Kubo made while dreaming.

But how he know where everything was?

Magic.

Paper Hanzo was the vessel his memories were stored in while his body wondered aimlessly. Or like, the vessel his memories found and entered. Obviously the Moon King didn't put them there

That was bugging me too. I don't care it wasn't enough to win, I care that it didn't seem to do anything to help him. I mean fuck you send an assassin to stop a guy from getting all three parts because man wasn't meant to have that power. What power? Glow light armor?

It was better in the hands of someone who actually knew how to make use of it. The sword was unbreakable and the armor was impenetrable, but fighting that way wasn't Kubo's strength.

Went to a midnight showing, it was just our one group of friends.

>tfw no loving monkey mom to take care of me and make me whale soup
>tfw no cool beetle dad to teach me how to shoot a bow

Why live?

came back from 10:45 am showing (was off work today) just me and some older black lady

Power ranking

1. Kubo
2. Paranorman
3. Caroline
4. Box Trolls

It's Coraline > Kubo > Paranorman > Box Trolls for me.

I preferred Coraline's more polished and thought out narrative, even if Kubo dealt with more complex, interesting, and mature themes. That might have something to do with it being based on an established story though, while Kubo was an original story. That ground work really helped them flesh out that movie though, and it shows.

I really liked both however, and it's a close call.

Went to a 915 showing. There were 10 people there.

Kubo=Paranorman>Coraline>Boxtrolls

So the twist about Beetle and Monkeys identities was really obvious from miles away. But damn I was really surprised when they both died. I expected Beetle to get away. That scene actually surprised me.

When Beetle says to Monkey that she is his quest and then gets stabbed by the sister