An Orson Welles Thread with that Same Sup Forums Excellence

What were his best movies? What were his most kino moments? What would you do if he decided to roll on top of you (assuming you didn't have time to move out of the way)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WlyZO8vH5M0
youtube.com/watch?v=iKp7x7mOJ_s
youtube.com/watch?v=3FX-KSzpSF0
youtube.com/watch?v=6dAGcorF1Vo
youtube.com/watch?v=zP_T7WFqDPM
youtu.be/6dAGcorF1Vo?t=15m50s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anybody that doesn't answer F for Fake is objectively wrong.

> best: Kane
> worst: Mr. Arkadin
> underrated: F for Fake
> overrated: Lady from Shanghai
> reddit: Chimes at Midnight
> kino: Touch of Evil

All of his films are worth checking out, in excited for The Other side of the wind, hopefully they don't fuck it up too much, but that's probably a lot to ask.
And for the rest of your questions, perhaps you'd feel more accommodated in a quipping lolsorandum site such as Reddit or 9gag.

1.) Macbeth
2.) when he freaked out at a spelling error during that commercial shoot
3.) let him hug me with his beautiful wisconsinite body

>> worst: Mr. Arkadin
really? I watched this for the first time the other night and thought it was a good pulp thriller, replete with heavy nods to German Expressionism. What didn't you like about it? Maybe it was a little derivative of Kane in structure (flashbacks) and the Third Man (the characters), but it told a fun story with some standout scenes, like the Flea Circus master. People review the film saying Robert Arden is ugly and a bad actor, and I also think they're wrong on both counts.

I'm excited too; it gives me some hope that one day all of his living friends will stop hating one another and try to pool together their Don Quixote footage - though in that case I doubt it will be anything other than a mess, but it might be a worthwhile mess.

Other Side was supposedly "near-finished" for like, 40 years. I have to hope that the folks working on it have enough sense to edit things tightly, which is the opposite of Jesus Franco's attempt at Welles' Don Quixote footage. If anything, it means seeing Huston as a leading role and more Welles movies to grace the world.

It's difficult to pick a "worst" Welles. The editing seemed a little inept to me but it's hardly bad.

>Women are another race. They’re like the moon, always changing. You can only win by being the cool center of their being. You have to represent something solid and loving. The anchor. Even if you’re not. You can’t tell them the truth. You have to lie and play games. I’ve never in my entire life been with someone with whom I didn’t have to play a game. I’ve never been with anyone with whom I could be exactly who I am.

>best: Kane

when this meme it's gonna end

Unicron

the trial

something something French champagne something something he doesnt do anything?

BEST: Chimes at Midnight
WORST: Don Quixote (Assembled by those bastards)
OVERRATED: Citizen Kane
UNDERRATED: The Magnificent Ambersons

>Orson Welles Kino

It's hard to figure out how he was so good at coming up with so many good shots in all of his movies. There is not a single bad-looking (completed) Orson Welles movie. In The Trial I think the set design is probably the biggest star in the movie.

>UNDERRATED: The Magnificent Ambersons
I'll need to see this one one of these days. The hand-wringing over its apparently "ruined" ending (plus lost footage) have kept me away.

mWWUAAAHAAAAAAA the french..... champagne

Has anyone seen this?
Is it worth checking out?

what are some must watch movies for wanna be directors?

i just saw F is for fake

i feel like id never truly "get" citizen kane due to the simpsons and family guy ruining the twist before i could see it

the family guy joke is 15 years old dont call me underage you stupid reddiot faggot who will come at me brohiem but i just dubbed u xD

Keep in mind that I haven't watched it all - I only started watching bits and pieces. It's a beautiful-looking movie with a dreamy atmosphere to it. It might be a one-and-done; that's my initial impression.

knowing the "twist" doesn't really ruin Citizen Kane, any more than knowing the twist of Soylent Green ruins that movie. It makes a final statement at the end of the film about its overall themes and meaning, and watching that journey is well(es) worth it.

I've been told that Filming Othello, which is going to be included on the upcoming CC Othello release, is similar to F for Fake in that it talks a lot about the craft of editing and designing a story. I'd keep your eyes out for that one.

Orson is easily my favorite director by a mile.
His greatest movie is Chimes At Midnight. And I'd say F for Fake is just as good but for completely different reasons.
Anyone who thinks Orson peaked at Citizen Kane needs to shut the fuck up and watch more of his movies. The fact that so many film snobs only regard Orson as "the guy who made Citizen Kane" is a disgrace to his memory and to the monolithic artist he was, not just in film.
All of his movies are worth watching. Even the one I'd consider the overall least good, The Stranger, is great.

I was just listening to some of the episodes of The Shadow that starred him. I used to listen to them constantly as a kid and that's how I came to know about him.
youtube.com/watch?v=WlyZO8vH5M0
youtube.com/watch?v=iKp7x7mOJ_s
youtube.com/watch?v=3FX-KSzpSF0

why are all drama actors now gay?

why was orson so hetro?

>I think I made essentially a mistake in staying in movies but it’s a mistake I can’t regret because it’s like saying I shouldn't have stayed married to that woman but I did because I love her. I would have been more successful if I hadn't been married to her, you know. I would have been more successful if I'd left movies immediately, stayed in the theatre, gone into politics, written, anything. I've wasted a greater part of my life looking for money and trying to get along, trying to make my work from this terribly expensive paintbox which is a movie. And I've spent too much energy on things that have nothing to do with making a movie. I'ts about two percent movie-making and ninety-eight percent hustling. It's no way to spend a life.

Serious question, how DO you emphasize "in" in the sentence "In July, peas grow there"?

He was probably just a bitter virgin who couldn't--

Oh wait, he fucked Rita Hayworth. Nvm.

Here take this
youtube.com/watch?v=6dAGcorF1Vo

>gays love camp
>camp is over the top
>dramatic actors are hams
>gays are dramatic actors

in JEWlie, PEAS grow there
there can be emphasized but I don't like to emphasize the end of a sentence, doesn't seem important

Who else here had this old as fuck reaction image in their folders for years and took forever to notice it was Orson Welles ?

damn, is macron bogpilled?

someone post drunk orson with mini orson please

think of the theater people you knew in high school.

mahahathfrench champagne

>why was orson so hetero?

He started fucking women when he was a schoolboy and never stopped (until presumably he was too fat to do so). lol, he had good taste in women. Paola Mori was smokin' hot in Confidential Report/Mr. Arkadin.

lots of good stories in this one. I especially like the fighting Hemingway story.

I always knew it was Orson, but didn't understand why his pic was used in a meme.

>He agreed that Marlon Brando, whose neck he likened to a ‘huge sausage’, wasn’t ‘very bright’ but added that ‘most great actors weren’t’.
>‘Larry [Olivier] is very — I mean, seriously — stupid,’ he said. ‘I believe that intelligence is a handicap in an actor. Because it means that you’re not naturally emotive, but rather cerebral.’ Not that Olivier’s acting was up to much either — Welles recalled that his first two scenes playing King Lear for the BBC were ‘the worst things I ever saw in my life’.
>Hollywood tough guy Humphrey Bogart’s stupidity was more off screen than on — Welles ridiculed him as ‘both a coward and a very bad fighter’ who was ‘always picking fights in nightclubs in sure knowledge that the waiters would stop him’.
>Rear Window was ‘one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen’, said Welles with relish. ‘Complete insensitivity to what a story about voyeurism could be,’ the master explained. ‘I’ll tell you what is astonishing. To discover that Jimmy Stewart can be a bad actor...even Grace Kelly is better than Jimmy, who’s overacting.’
>But then who was Alfred Hitchcock anyway, according to the puffed-up Welles. He said he had ‘never understood the cult of Hitchcock. Particularly the late American movies...egotism and laziness’.
>Welles, who recalled being thrown out of a cinema aged 19 after he shouted abuse at Tracy’s performance in Captains Courageous, said he couldn’t think of ‘a great Tracy performance’.
>"Spencer Tracy was one of those bitchy Irishmen. I'm a racist, you know. Here's the Hungarian recipe for making an omelet. First, steal two eggs".

Orson was the king of the bantz.
No wonder Falstaff was his favorite character.

>I'm a racist, you know. Here's the Hungarian recipe for making an omelet. First, steal two eggs

fucking kek

He's right in a general sense that Hitchcock's late movies were more or less cashing in on brand "Hitchcock" and never made a "great" movie after Psycho. Though I bet Welles is talking way earlier, lol.

When you think about it Orson would probably be the type to use the word faggot in an endearing manner.

Oh, I'm a huge Orson Welles

>Orson would probably be the type to use the word faggot in an endearing manner.
Yeah, I can see that. :)

Who says great artists have to suffer?

cuckoo clock

I think a good deal of it was his own fault. In that book of lunch conversations an HBO exec sits down with him to offer Orson a miniseries on HBO, but he eventually ends up insulting her and belittling her so much that she just walks away.

Though what studios did to his films were practically criminal.

welp, I've never seen this before
how is this possible?
youtube.com/watch?v=zP_T7WFqDPM

lol, this is shot so bizarrely.

>Are you a star, or a superstar?
>"Only a black man would ask that question."

kek

UNICRON

This is great. I've never seen it, either.

Say no more pham.

youtu.be/6dAGcorF1Vo?t=15m50s

>Let me tell you a story about George Jean Nathan, America’s great drama critic. Nathan was the tightest man who ever lived, even tighter than Charles Chaplin. And he lived for 40 years in the Hotel Royalton, which is across from the Algonquin. He never tipped anybody in the Royalton, not even when they brought the breakfast, and not at Christmastime. After about ten years of never getting tipped, the room-service waiter peed slightly in his tea. Everybody in New York knew it but him. The waiters hurried across the street and told the waiters at Algonquin, who were waiting to see when it would finally dawn on him what he was drinking! And as the years went by, there got to be more and more urine and less and less tea. And it was a great pleasure for us in the theater to look at a leading critic and know that he was full of piss. And I, with my own ears, heard him at the ‘21’ complaining, saying, “Why can’t I get tea here as good as it is at the Royalton?” That’s when I fell on the floor, you know.

What is the best book I can read with these Orson stories? I really want to read more.

Thoughts on malpertuis? Any better orson horror?

"I have never really hated Hollywood except for its treatment of D. W. Griffith. No town, no industry, no profession, no art form owes so much to a single man."
-Orson Welles

Why didn't you protect his smile, Sup Forums?