Why was early Family Guy so great, yet the first couple seasons of American Dad fucking unbearable?

Why was early Family Guy so great, yet the first couple seasons of American Dad fucking unbearable?

Early Family Guy had a wide variety of gags and plots, and hadn't lost a sense of family among the main cast. Early American Dad heavily relied on basically one joke.

It tried too hard to be Family guy with post-9/11 terrorism jokes

Because Seth shoved his liberal bullshit into it super hard and then when family guy came back he had less and less to do with the show and it actually got good.

I don't know.

Nobody here knows.

Go ask an Seth MacFarlane.

Why would you even ask us? We are just going to pull answers out of our asses.

The first couple seasons of Family Guy were so innocent and not-mean spirited, it's so jarring from the shit it is now.

All Seth Macfarlane shows are trash.

Because American Dad was phoned in. No one fucking wanted it but Fox. The real question you wanted to ask was, "why did they make American Dad?" The answer is that they wanted more Family Guy while already getting more Family Guy.

These

That first season was such trash I never even gave the show a chance. The worst political satire I've ever seen.

Because you have differing opinions

And then the second half of Amerian Dad Season 2 hit, starting with Stan of Arabia and the show really came into its own.

It actually becomes funny after the first season. Season 2 onwards may as well be a different show.

This is entirely wrong.

Everyone was done with FG until well after Fox had greenlit AD, which by the time FG DVD sales were starting to go through the roof, had already long been in production.

FG season 4 was phoned in and made quickly from old pre-cancellation scripts and amazingly ended up premiering the same night as the debut of AD, which is where a lot of the confusion about which one came first probably comes from.

Yeah that's what they tell me. I was just so sick of McFarlane by then I had no interest in checking back at any point.

George Bush ruined comedy. It became so easy to just point and laugh that writers forgot how to do political satire, American dad was lucky, they actually had talent behind the wheel so they were able to adapt when laughing at the president went out of vogue

>nobody seems to get the Fung Wah episode

It was near-perfect in execution, but then again, I'm Chinese, so I guess the satire was more obvious to me.

I liked it.

it honestly felt like they took an unfinished rejected script they had lying around(the whole insane asylum plot), and then tried to stretch it out into a full episode with the retarded Fung Wah crap

really a lot of episodes in the last couple seasons felt like that(heck I'm actually pretty sure that is the case, would actually be a good explanation why they wrote Jeff off for so long, so they could use a bunch of old unused scripts from before he and Hayley got married)

and lastly American Dad either needs to come up with some new plots or finally end, cause most of the recurring ones they have are beyond tired(they've done the "Steve tries to date/have sex with a girl but fails" plot more than 40 times to give one particularly annoying example of this)

American Dad got crueler and more outrageous over time just like Family Guy. I like the earlier versions of both.

The show dropped its original premise and eased the characters up from their archetypes a LOT. I didn't used to line Haley or Steve but now they're both great, Steve especially. Pretty much every main character has been revised entirely except for Klaus and Jeff, and they're the two worst characters on the show.

Klaus sort of turned into the show's Meg, though that might just be because the writers got tired of trying to force him into shit and turned his absolute non-presence in the show into a joke.

Seth McFarlene became less talented and funny as Family Guy went on, and by the time American Dad came out, Seth McFarlene already completely sucked.

I understand your concern, but for what it's worth I think you should check it out. Give one of the later episodes a try and see if you warm up to it at all. Maybe the "Tearjerker" Bond parodies?

Mr Enter pls go.

I hate Enter too but it is sometimes a valid criticism.

Lois definitely did not become better by turning into female Peter

The pilot episode is so weird to watch now, it has a bunch of cutaway jokes and the characters aren't constantly in 3/4 profile

>Why was early Family Guy so great, yet the first couple seasons of American Dad fucking unbearable?
That's wrong though, only the first season of American Dad was crap. Season 2 was an immediate change in quality and it was good until that transfer to TBS happened.

I feel like some of the earlier American Dad! stuff is a lot better than what we are getting now. At least then it actually focused around Stan's career in the CIA and tried to develop something with Klaus.

Now it's just another wacky adventure show that could be slapped together with any other characters, rarely coming back to Stan in the CIA.

I like how Bush was depicted in a later episode as a genuinely nice, well-meaning person who simply shouldn't be president.