LOTR appreciation thread

I want to get the taste of Battle of Five armies out of my mouth

Who is your favorite member of the fellowship?

Boromir

Should Faramir be considered an honorary fellowship member

I think everyone can agree that Gandalf, Boromir, Aragorn and Sam are the highest tier of fellowship bros.

Fucked my knee big time, cant move for shit. Watched through all the Bonus Material for Fellowship before watching the movie twice with and without cast's commentary.

Starting with TT today

Aragorn in the movie
I haven't read the books in almost a decade but I remember enjoying Merry and Pippin with the ents a lot more in the book
Gandalf is best across both versions though.

I thought I was the only person autistic enough to watch a movie, and then watch it again immediately after with the commentary on. Kudos user

>cast's commentary
I thought both the directors/writers and the art guys commentary was more interesting/insightful, you should give that a try.

movie: Aragorn
book: frodo/sam; i'm not sure

I probably will, but there was so much footage with the art guys and peej and not many scenes with the cast so I went for the gang

Gimli is based. Dwarves are the master race desu

gimli tho

I think the movies did a bad job redeeming boromirs character. He was a great honourable man from a noble family, a war hero and leader. In the movies normie girls are like "ohhhhhhh he's the bad guy!!!"

Name a better fictional wizard.

>normie girls
well, normie girls wouldn't get book boromir either.

Was about to post this. He did somewhat redeem himself but in no way enough. Glad Jackson realized this and redeemed him more with the Osgiliath scene in two towers.

He never wanted the ring for himself or gondor just for power, but to stop his soldiers dying every day and save his country from certain doom. Truly the GOAT fellowship character.

Normie girls don't even get the movie

magneto

patrician taste

Riders of Rohan! Oaths you have taken. Now fulfill them all, for Lord and Land!

are the lotr movies something women will never understand?

Maybe, not sure because he only accompanied Frodo and Sam.
What about her? She saved Frodo and fought back the Nazgûl. Is Arwen, dare I say it.. /ourgal/?

As oppose to non-fictional wizards?

Rasputin?

There are wizards in myth, which isn't the same as fiction.

non-fiction wizard detected

Gandalf the Grey

>le funny meme dwarf
'no'

She would be fine if she hadn't replaced Glorfindel. The scene where Glorfindel saves Frodo from the Nazgul is so much better than what they gave us in the movie.

Best trilogy after Dollar trilogy
am i rite ?

>tfw indie cinema in my city is playing a LotR marathon next month and none of my friends want to go

it works fine in the context of the movie, and gives her something to do and keeps the massive cast a bit tighter.

it would also lead to moviegoers questioning why this OP as fuck elf didn't go with the fellowship.

my man

This

I will never not feel emotional during his death

Faramir

Did the same once I bought the extended trilogy some days ago

Was cool to hear Orlando talk about his childhood memories concerning the books, saying that even If it isn't 100% faithful to the books the movies are great adaptations. Plus he was the only one to comment when his character wasn't on screen

Chrostopher Lee was such a nerd about all the Tolkien works, talking about detail and characters who aren't in the movies. Just great

Ian tho sounds like a pretentious dick

I think it takes away from Arwen's character, having her do that kind of stuff.

Being the image of Luthien reborn and all the shit about lofty and beautiful she is is really reduced by having her run around in the fields. Not that they would have included anything about how important the relationship with Arwen and Aragorn is with respect to their ancestry, but her characterization in the movie takes some of that away from people who know, and they didn't have to do that.

harry potter duhhh
how can you forget harry potter it's 10 times better than lotr you weeb

speaking of which, why didn't glorfindel go? over legolas at least, if not in addition to him, the dood 1v1'd a fuckin balrog in his first life, even if it killed him, it's not like he was doing shit elsewhere like elrohir and elladan

>tfw recently found out gandalf was played by a fag

Fucking pissed as he was one of my favorites too.

Well faramir was originally going to goto rivendell and be in the fellowship

That plus with the way he helps out later he just feels like a member to me

because he didn't volunteer.

I don't know, I started thinking about it as soon as I posted.

maybe being as powerful as he is, and the whole having lived in the light of the trees and glowing like the fucking sun to anything in the wraith world would have hampered the whole secrecy thing.

obviously the real reason is he's just too fucking hardcore.

Glorfindel and another rivendell elf were intended to join but Gandalf suggested that friendship will serve better the fellowship purpose so Merry and Pippin were added
Legolas is the son of thranduil, a sylvan prince and an excellent scout

poor baby

oh no a gay man, my sexuality is attacked, better stay in that closet to feel safe

>Is x, dare I say it.. /ourgal/?
please dont ever type those words on my board again.

Indeed, any passing Nazgul would have spotted Glorfindel immediately. The real question is what the hell else he was doing at the time.

In the bfme 2 campaign he was a playable hero, traveling and fighting in the north Regions during the War of the Ring

Me?

Can you buy those games digitally yet

/ourgal/ will always be Galadriel.

gonna break my leg so I can do this

You think elijah loved filming the series so much because it helped him get over his sexual abuse?

Dont think so, copies of IT are fucking expensive nowadays.

He pretty much says that in the first movie as well.

>Fucking pissed as he was one of my favorites too.

Same here but only when he fagged out for some pride parade posters. Gay or not its below him

>Ergo The Magnificent, short in stature, tall in power,narrow of purpose, and wide of vision.
>Gandalf can't even turn into a tiger

Jesus, Base Game is 60 eurodollars on German eBay, Expansion around the same. Used condition of course.

fpbp

you got it backward

Art guys is the only one I have left, I've listened to the other three. My gf is leaving for a week, might try to fit it in.

>mfw has battle for middle earth 1, 2 and the witch king
>mfw bought it for 10 quid or something 10 years ago.
>mfw I just got it to work
Life is good

lost my copy of 1, still have 2 could never find witch king though

Sucks. I've got the anthology box, was hidden away for a decade or something, forgot I even had it. Took me a whole day to get it to work.

>tfw its not even on GoG

my favorite isnt in the fellowship---

>>r9k

Fellowship > RotK > Two Towers

Your friends are trash and you don't need them, the Fellowship are your true bros.

user pls

every 15 year old's answer

>book Faramir is a good man who serves fine food to Frodo and Sam while laughing about how he doesn't want the Ring at all because he's just some guy out in the woods with his bros
>film Faramir is an edgy shit with his bros out in the woods

Is their decent torrent with the commentary?

actually the second makes sense, i'd understand he became an edgy cunt after his dad being an cunt towards him and the war going on.

Is grima Sup Forums?

keeping him the same as the book, rejecting the ring so easily would undercut the threat of it a little. I don't particularly like the detour to osgiliath, but I see why they did it for the sake of the movie.

same thing when people with autism think tom bombadil should have been in the movie, he completely trivialises the ring and it's power.

i just wanted to see if they made his wife a qt

Theodon was based

He was also easily the best thing about WoW then they killed him

Here's what she and Tom Bombadil looked like in the old tcg that used pictures from the trilogy for the card arts

not bad desu

The problem is that the movies never really explained as the books did about how the ring worked. It gave corrupting and addictive power as well as false promises by using that which you love the most.

This is why Sam could so easily resist the Ring, because it promised that with its powers he could turn all of Mordor into a beautiful and bountiful garden, but he only wanted to go back to his own garden so the Ring couldn't tempt him.

It was the same for Faramir. What the ring tried to promise and tempt him with was more than he wanted or perhaps something else entirely, so he laughed and resisted it.

legolas was my favourite when the films came out
so, legolas

He still rejected it pretty quickly, they just needed to draw out their journey a bit, I never saw why people got so buttblasted

Plus David wenham is based

>its an ent scene

>it's an arwen scene

>Gandalf can't even turn into a tiger

Not being a furfag is a plus, not a detriment

It's been ages since I've watched the commentaries, but I remember Ian tipping his fedora hard and noting how the Shire didn't have any Churches as if it were a good thing. It's like he was oblivious to the fact that Tolkien was a hard-nosed Catholic.

If you want some more Bernard Hill medievalkino, watch Wolf Hall

lotr had such great characters
why do todays movies have such awfully written characters ?

They aren't based on books

is the trilogy box set worth getting?

He had the second best outfit after Gandalf

>Liv Tyler is so angelical that even during the interviews she sounds outworldly
Why can't I have an elffu?

no, they never will. I watched them with my gf and had to pause every five minutes to explain something. Every. Five. Minutes.

Elves are a proud and noble race, not waifus.

for years I thought my mum was actually ok because she really likes LOTR and watches them with my dad a couple times a year.

but then the hobbit movies came out and she likes those too, fucking dumb roastie.

Because of the Jews.

is she retarded

you clearly dont know how silly most girls are

There's silly then straight up stupid