What's your favorite Western Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QqTfBysL0wE
youtube.com/watch?v=Vmc-AUQ3f9k
youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU
youtube.com/watch?v=kpjWox_c9Ig
youtube.com/watch?v=jRi_u4GbfIw&t=7s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Boss Nigger

Don't know about a favorite, but I watched it recently and I loved 3:10 to Yuma.

>everyone knew how to shoot

>In an interview, Ben Johnson said that the Mexican women who "frolicked" with him and Warren Oates in the huge wine vats weren't actresses but prostitutes from a nearby brothel, who were hired by Sam Peckinpah so he could tell people that Warner Bros. paid for hookers for his cast.

I'm unironically a massive fan of westerns but I have to say that with the exception of Tombstone and Unforgiven the genre is basically dead today.

Reminder that there existed a 4-hour cut of The Wild Bunch that only Ned Beatty and some producers ever got to see. Beatty said it was an even greater masterpiece but the studio heads hated it so much they in all likelihood had it destroyed.

True grit

Original or Coen Bros?

obviously the remake

I like both actually

It's only obvious if you have bad taste.

its objectively superior to the original. taste is irrelevant

The editing in this film is nothing short of amazing.

It has pointless bookend scenes that don't make sense without telling the story through Charles Portis prose, has some significant pacing issues and numerous additional scenes that don't go really go anywhere (thematically or for the purposes of the story) and I'd even say that the performances of most of the main cast were lacking much needed emotional authenticity. The original had delivery that was structured like a stage production because Portis had alot of rich, elegant dialogue that is often buried by actors straining to deliver this lyrical dialogue in a naturalistic way.

Weird gimmicky westerns are often pretty good.

Best one coming through

Sierra Madre or the Clint Eastwood/Leone trilogy

Most people are surprised this even exists.

Blaxploitation westerns were not even uncommon and were largely dismissed as trash in their time. Today this series would be called 'brave' and 'powerful' and popularly lauded. They're can be hard to find due to obscurity and retarded titles but for all I know they're on amazon or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=QqTfBysL0wE

There really no greater western and the genre will never reach this height ever again.

This was a 10/10 film.

it was absolutely terrible

This is the best english Leone movie and it's not even as good as The Wild Bunch.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vmc-AUQ3f9k

1.the searchers
2.once upon a time in the west
3.good bad ugly

the manliest scene in movie history

fite me

This is such an incredibly underrated movie and worth seeing for the soundtrack alone.

Stalking Moon

>The Wild Bunch.
lol

my nigga

>Duke
wish he were here today

This gets overlooked primarily because it stars Burt Lancaster in brown face but it's the last good Elmore Leonard western.

Hah.

fagioli western

>not adding "the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford" to the list

youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

Legend has it that when Marlon Brando pulled this shit at the Oscars it took three men to hold the Duke back from rushing the stage. He would have blown his brains out if he were alive today.

It's a human drama that deals with a flawed human being set in relief against an iconic western figure, to fit my personal criteria for a "western" it would have to deal more with the struggle between pragmatism and morality or address the tension of American industrialization and stoic individualism. There are shades of this and it's a great movie but it's only superficially a western.

what the fuck

By your own definition, would you consider There Will Be Blood a "western"?

One of my personal favorites

youtube.com/watch?v=kpjWox_c9Ig

lol

Why would exploitation be called brave and powerful?
Are you just memeing

Pretty much yeah. It's very much a character study and Plainview's personal ethics are quite remote and not something most audiences can directly relate to which is a problem for alot of great westerns. There are plenty of big-picture conceptual ideas at work in the film but most critics were too fascinated by Lewis and the surface themes of obsession and madness to really explore what the movie is saying about America. This is also why so many of them failed to understand Eli's role in the story and why Dano gets so little credit for it.

how did the new magnificent 7 stack up the original?

>Why would exploitation be called brave and powerful?

Now who's memeing?

It's not even as good as the other remakes.

Compared to Seven Samurai? Can't say because I haven't seen Magnificent Seven so no opinion.

This looks like a really good watch, thanks

Major Hollywood director making exploitation?
Try again, tard.

Wrong fucking image, but outland was a remake of High Noon at least.

For a few dollars more

youtube.com/watch?v=jRi_u4GbfIw&t=7s