EMOJI HEADING FOR 27M OPENING

CAN'T BLOWJI THAT EMOJI

>The Emoji Movie won Friday with $10M to Dunkirk‘s $7.9M. Here’s what’s fascinating about the animated movie: Close to nobody likes it, including critics (6% Rotten) and Friday night audiences (B CinemaScore), and yet here’s Sony opening this $50M-budgeted family movie at a respectful level.

Other urls found in this thread:

vice.com/en_us/article/avy3aj/feels-good-man-728
youtube.com/watch?v=mghhLqu31cQ
youtube.com/watch?v=iaxGjGFwE8M
indiewire.com/2017/07/why-dunkirk-will-likely-make-200-million-domestic-box-office-1201859521/
boxofficemojo.com/weekend/?view=wknd&wknd=29&sort=sumgross&order=DESC&p=.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Of course the fedora-tipping redditors who manage rotten tomatoes can’t grasp multi-layered ironic satire when they see it. I just watched it and I was literally in shock by how one thing can be so kíno. It wasn’t meant to be a comedy; it wasn’t meant to be a kids movie. It was supposed to be watched as an allegory for the modern world’s blind acceptance of anything that’s presented as being cool just for its own sake. The very act of watching the movie was it telling you “See? You like to use emojis everyday and so does everyone around you so you have to watch this because you’re part of the grotesque machine that is modern pop culture”. The screen was laughing at me and I enjoyed every moment of it. Of course Reddictor McAtheists won’t ever understand that, their small “le epic upboat XD” brains could never allow them to pull their heads out of their asses and really appreciate the art that is Le Filmé Emojie. Fuck reddit, man. The movie was great.

Kill me.

>a kids movie that just released made slightly more than the R rated movie thats been out for a week and a half
shocker

WOW 10 WHOLE MILLION DOLLARS?!!

>fat neckbeards don't approve of it so they think it'll bomb
>never heard of something called children

>summer friday
>$10M

I guess hollywood really is dying. Each weekend in summer used to pull $500m.

>B cinemascore
Uh, what
WHAT

The reason why Sony is okay is that the movies Sony makes earns $$$. Even if it is crap.

Just happy Dunkirk is still doing strong.

Anything below B+ is bad on Cinemascore. As it just ranks people who wanted to go see it in the first place.

Even dire stuff gets C+

I told y'all about the beaners

I just looked it up. It looks like an entirely useless metric. Drive got a C-.

Could this be the dawn of memekino?

Will we get a Cuckolding Movie next? A Bane Movie? A Dubs Guy Movie?

traps aren't gay

Shit, opening weekend only 25% of it's production + advertising budget? Absolutely abysmal reviews suggesting massive falloff 2nd weekend?
Even at such a small budget, looks like a solid bomb.

>cars 3: A
>Alien Covenant: B
>Captain underpants: B+
is this meant to be an epic troll?

>Even at such a small budget, looks like a solid bomb.

>he forgets about foreign plebs

>it's a Sup Forums pretends to know more than DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD episode

>yet here’s Sony opening this $50M-budgeted family movie at a respectful level.

Still waiting for my adventures of pepe and wojak series

Well yeah, brand recognition fucking works. Where have you been this past decade?

50M was bullshit I think that was including marketing because they didn't want it to sound cheap, plus they got insane money from Facebook, Dropbox, and other things, its going to make a profit lol what a world.

Meanwhile Dunkirk is almost certainly losing money unless nominated for Oscars.

Do you think we'll live to see "The Reddit Movie"?

Are...are you defending a faceless movie studio? For real?

Matt Furie did an interview in 2015 where he talks about Wojak and how he doesn't understand him

vice.com/en_us/article/avy3aj/feels-good-man-728
>One, he's mixed in with this weird white guy who he's always hugging, which I don't understand. Have you seen that white character? With the weird face?

If there's ever a Boy's Club movie, it will only have the original characters.

Because people expected something different. It was the same case with the Witch (C-), disappointing normies.

>Have you seen that white character? With the weird face?

Seriously, why not try making a Meme Movie? There are 10+ years of untapped old ass memes that really haven't had any representation in the greater culture.

First we do a Wreck It Ralph thing where an Old Tired Meme finds new life in saving the planet from well It could start where the bad guys are the All Your Base aliens and go from there.

They'd have a joke where after they said 'all your base are belong to us' there would be a black dude saying 'hide your kids, hide your wife, they are belonging everyones bases up here!!!' then go on to the next meme and next meme.

The memes all become characters in of themselves and aid the hero against the Zero Wing enemies and its all very postmodern and it doesn't even need to be stronger than a PG-13, could actually be a legit hit movie.

Seriously, why not try making a Meme Movie?

Memes change and by the time production is finished it'll already be cringe as fuck

Case in point: youtube.com/watch?v=mghhLqu31cQ

Didn't you see the Ready Player One trailer last week?

This video was made by Israelis.

youtube.com/watch?v=iaxGjGFwE8M

Normies won't recognise any of those old memes though. 'Memes' to them just means funny pictures from twitter with a caption above them staring with 'when'

You're reminding me of the non-ironic brony in my algebra class in my senior year of highschool in 2011 who played this video loudly in the computer lab thinking it was the funniest shit ever

Have you seen the elsa spiderman shit that gets millions of views on youtube? Kids on the internet was a mistake.

The only reason this movie is making money is because they didnt pay half their production team.

sure the normies prefers to watch driver, run run lego and fassbender mumbling for three hours and don't watch stupids flicks like emoji movie for laugh

That would be so stupid, it might work.

I weep for you, my friend.

>doesn't know what bots are

>dunkirk
>R rated
Pick one

fun fact: this is an offshoot of >mfw

Sup Forums was the birthing place of modern twitter memes

That video is an abomination but damn that music is pretty good

people used to not use >mfw

they would start it out with >my face when

or end it with >my face

I am really looking forward to the collapse.

>lost around $40m to put out a movie everyone knew would suck even before TJ Miller tried to claim it was a political movie
>still act as though you didn't mess up
Keep up the good work, Sony. If you sell tickets your enemy wins

user only retards use emojiis. I've literally never used one.

>Meanwhile Dunkirk is almost certainly losing money unless nominated for Oscars.
Dunkirk is expected to be a nicely profitable movie. It made 72 million in its first week and has a drop under 50%. At this point it looking like it will clear 250 million domestic, which will pay for the production and part of the promotion just on domestic sales.

Part of it is bots yes but it's fucking scary how many are legit.

>never used an emoji
>still called them "emoticons" up until a few months ago
Bitch.

>At this point it looking like it will clear 250 million domestic

>going to make 150 more million after this weekend

lel

indiewire.com/2017/07/why-dunkirk-will-likely-make-200-million-domestic-box-office-1201859521/

This is transphobic.

I would rather watch this Hollywood plot to homogenize culture than Dunkirk, a piece of war propaganda for colonialists and Empire.

that's Sup Forums as fuck

Well if your money so you get to use it as you wish.

Not really imo. Ready Player One is a nothing more than a hodgepodge of references to "nerd" culture. I'm not kidding when I say 90% of the book is just a recitation of references that are not particularly esoteric or "deep cuts", but draw from the incredibly broad and shallow pool of "nerdom".

>$10M

Betting it barely squeaks past $50M on the third weekend. Sony will claim it was a roaring success anyway and swear they've got sequels planned for days. Meanwhile angry Japanese businessmen will be swearing at baka gaijin in conference calls.

They already have a show...it's called Rick and Morty

Good, I'm glad Hollywood is waking up to the fact that 300 million dollar blockbusters are a waste of everyone's time and totally unnecessary to boot. Tickets are still going to cost 12 dollars, and everyone is still going to the movies, so stop making these ugly leviathans.

The issue is this

you are going to have to spend 20-50 million to get people to go to the movie.

Do you really want to spend 20 million advertising for a movie that costs 2 million?

>It will clear 250 million!!!

>let me link this article that says this!!
>Don’t be surprised if the final number ends up in the $175 million-$200 million range.

No. It's entirely reliant on references and appealing to geek culture. That is the actual definition of Reddit according to Sup Forums's consensus. By it's definition Ready Player One will be the most Reddit movie ever made.

It's a shame that he went crazy because Hillary was too much of a megalomaniac to blame herself for anything in the election that didn't go her way and thus had to go and start harping on his creation to the point where her MSM lackeys and (((groups))) like the ADL followed suit.

the audiobook was read by Will Weaton, who is the in-universe president of le internets.
It's the most reddit thing ever conceived of. It's more reddit than reddit.

As much as I enjoyed the randomness of Acererak playing Joust with the main guy, the book really isn't more then random references.

Hopefully it won't stay true to the book and be a good movie.

audience scores are more like "I got what I expected" (they are going to the movie based on the ads)
Hence why something like The VVitch gets a bad review because the ads made it look like a teen horror like conjuring but set in pre-historic New England.
if a movie is awful but its what the audience expects they'll give it a B

who will voice the happy merchant in the meme movie?

>Each weekend in summer used to pull $500m.

That's logistically impossible

boxofficemojo.com/weekend/?view=wknd&wknd=29&sort=sumgross&order=DESC&p=.htm

Mojo are retarded with the shit they use to estimate box office.

That stupid fuck Brad actually thought Ghostbusters 2016 would have like 3 weekends making the same money as the first because Paul Feig/Melissa McCarthys last 3 lower budget R rated comedies had the same multiplier

>he forgets Sony gets less money from the box office of foreign plebs

I'd wager at least 50% of Sup Forums users also browse reddit.
You think you're part of some underground haxzor group but Sup Forums is just as mainstream as reddit.
The only difference is (You) vs karma.

this is the most cancerous post i've ever read in my entire life
>he's actually proud of being new
welcome to neo-Sup Forums

This post really opened my eyes. I just deleted my reddit account and bought 2 tickets for the Emoji movie tonight (I'm not allowed alone so i'll grab a kid off the street and pretend it's my daughter)

>hai guise i'm retarded and underaged LOL look at me!!! :)

have a card game

are there actually enough of these images with a full on manual to constitute a card game?

I don't browse Reddit. Most people don't browse Reddit.
Reddit is terribly designed site that is very off putting and overly complicated.
Sup Forums is much more user accessable than Reddit is even with it's hated of newfags. You can literally just open the page and post. Meanwhile you have to jump through hoops to post on Reddit like logging in etc.

>using the word 'neo-tv'
Honestly, just end yourself. Do us all a favour.

Dunkirk is PG-13.

You've summarized the message of a good 30% of kids media and are parading "being different is ok" as the reason this particular animated mess is worthy of critical acclaim.

based as fuck

yeah, the grumpy cat movie

>overly complicated.
Like entering an email, choosing a password and clicking the Stay Signed In button or whatever it is called.
>Hoops
Come on user, it's really, really not that hard.

Armond review when?

I thought it was going to crash and burn, the way
"Smurfs the Lost Village" did.

Leekspin will never be a dead meme.

It's like baneposting, it's an integral part of the internet