The Coen Plebs

What's their best film and why?

Garfield

Tropic Thunder

JONES PENUS FLUDE

Coens are the best directors in the game. If you don't like them you're either a contrarian or you're stealing the opinion of a contrarian internet critic.

No Country for old Men

The great translatability of the source material kept their hacky writing to a minimum which made the movie great. Just like Hack Snyder they were best at literally translating pages to the screen.

A Serious Man is the patrician answer

I'm not sure it's their best but I love A Serious Man. It just feels like a lot of the best elements of their style put into one movie.

Their best drama: No Country For Old Men

Their best comedy: The Big Lebowski

i loved Inside Llewyn Davis.
i thought it was a nice "slice of life" film.
but i also really digged No Country, especially after having read the book

desu their streak of Blood Simple, Raising Arizona and Miller's Crossing is their best.

I agree with both your choices, absolute Kinos.
Coen Brothers are insanely hit or miss for me. I really hate Fargo and wish I could get into it but I just can't. And I've never felt more stupid watching a film than Miller's crossing, I couldn't understand entire conversations because the dialogue was so fast and above my retard level of comprehension, only character I could understand through the whole film was the fat spastic.

i know it's reddit as fuck but the big lebowski is so good. there's so much in there and it's the best example of their fascination with language and the hilarity of people picking up little phrases from each other without quite understanding them

>I really hate Fargo and wish I could get into it but I just can't.

How can you hate Fargo? How can you not get into it?

It's a simple, straight forward story, with comfy atmosphere, and great characters.

Oh come on, you gotta love John Turturro on that one. Such a slimy character.

>Their best comedy: The Big Lebowski
Nah - ASM is better.

I can't stand the accent tbqhwithyoufamilia. I understand from a logical perspective the draw to the film and how people think it's comfy but emotionally it just doesn't invest me, I just admit to being a turbo pleb.
True, I did actually enjoy his arch, him and the fat dude I could understand and enjoy the performances of, I've liked John Turturro in everything I've seen him in

Stop discriminating against mid-westerners disgusting bigot

Barton Fink is their best. Especially after reading about the movie afterwords, there's a shitload of symbolism and references that completely go over your head while watching. The movie is much more intelligent then it seems on first viewing.

>film
That's a bit of a stretch, user

There is so much wrong in this post, I don't even know where to begin.

>Especially after reading about the movie afterwords, there's a shitload of symbolism and references that completely go over your head while watching. The movie is much more intelligent then it seems on first viewing.
So, it's like bizarro BvS.

Is BvS the only movie you've ever see that has symbolism in it?

most jewish and therefore best

Only right answer

Fargo is inarguably their greatest achievement

best: lebowski
worst: the one with hanks
underrated: headsucker proxy and burn after reading
overrated: oh brother

Wachowski Sisters>Coen Brothers

I like Inside Llewyn Davis and No Country

no idea but Hail, Caesar! was absolutely the worst

their best movies are the ones that aren't just endless snark or genre riffing, the ones where they actually have some empathy for the characters so that they end up feeling human and not like grotesques. in this respect they got better as they went along, especially after fargo.

also a serious man made me realize that a lot of what they do is laughing at stupid goys

>what is Ladykillers/Intolerable Cruelty/Hudsucker Proxy/Burn after Reading

They tend to do stinkers after their good movies

It's probably the most philosophical too