Implying Schumacher and Barbara Ling didnt have the best designed Gotham

>Implying Schumacher and Barbara Ling didnt have the best designed Gotham

They captured totally the core truth of Gotham. It is batshit crazy. Nothing is normal there. And that is exciting and terrifying. Gotham is an acid trip mixed with its come down and it's a very theatrical setting.

The design mixed the Camp with the Macabe in a way straight out of cyberpunk an Marti gra. It showed us a city so nuts you BELIEVE it's where people go to dress up in gimmick suits and beat each other up. Gotham is insane in a way that's both fun and off putting. Like a dark carnival of claustrophobia, weirdo perverts and Dutch angles. It's a city where driving to work has you riding a bring into a giant screaming naked man forged from wrought iron. Its like Time Square merged with New York in the 70s so all the mascots are trying to stab you. It took those Burton flourishes and evolved them taking that classic Dick Sprang ridiculous architecture and melding it with Tim's cartoon nonsense. Gotham is a city made by madness and it shows.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KFgyezfS6ik
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Look at this shit ,still clearly up, in a way that captures the whole operatic dress up factor of Batman.

Batman's central tenet is crime and crimefighting as theatre .

Performance,madness and drugs are in roughly that order at the core of all Batman stories.

Batman is literally born in a theatre .His closest companions are a theatre actor and a circus performer, his arch enemy is a clown.

And his bad guys are overwhelmingly chemically themed.

Seriously I fucking love Giant statues . It's Fritz Lang metropolis on LSD.

Using the Batman Shots to make the city look more disconcerting was a brilliant shot

Even Lego took cues

and Arkham

While I don't think it fits, I do appreciate this rendition of Gotham. It has that vintage colorful "Nightmare" feel that movies back in the day used to have.

That shit was awful Looked like sombody vomited Neon all over everything with all these huge statues and fucking buildings positioned in ways that made no fucking sense. Burton's Gotham was better.

Nolan's Gotham was good in Begin's. With the Narrows and everything but as the trilogy progressed it got less interesting and basically was just Chicago. DCCU Gotham looks slightly better than Begin's Gotham. From the little i've seen of it reminds me more of the Gotham in the Arkham games.

sprang

but you can't like BvS the jews said so

>Makes no fucking sense

That's the point. Gotham DOESN'T make any fucking sense. It's a place where shit like this happens. Where there version of a "normal " Ganster is the guy who talks to himself wearing a mask carved from his parents coffin. Where you have blimps flying around for no reason, the sky is red and people Rob banks dressed in fursuits and gimmicks based on what looks like the random page of wikipedia. Gotham is the exact sort of place that would put there observatory on a massive golden statue instead of a building like normal people .

Who are you quoting?

Dressing like your sister.
Living like a tart.

It still has to look like a coherent city though. Shumachers shit had no ryme or reason to it. It's like they took Burton's Map paintings looked at them and said "this shit is waaaay too subtle"

They don't know what you're doing.
Babe, it must be art.

It's not just the Silver Age

Golden Age Batmab had creepy monster men, vampires and spoopy mansions right out of scoobie doo.

Bronze Age Batman had skyscrapers with giant trees in them

Modern Age Gotham was revealed to be designed by a literal madman

even it's hipster suburbs have neumatic tubes and abandoned warehouses turned into life sized videogames

You're a headache.

In a suitcase.

HELLO HELLO

This is not a city that makes sense.

MMMAAATAA PLACE CALLED VIRTAGOOO

The statues weren't even a Schumacher/Ling innovation. They just took the same camp madness and applied it to the shit Gotham was already on

bono pls leave

No but you see, Batman is a serious story for serious adults like you and me, there's not place for fantasy in a series about a man dressing up like a bat and punching people in the face.

Neon fucking Tommy Guns

If that isn't Batman and Gotham summed up I don't know what else is .

>TDK is shit
my condolences

These are Gotham crime lords.

Why does he wear the mask?

I absolutely loved the way Gotham looked. It's not my ideal Gotham, but it was wholly unique and felt like a bizarre alien world with the neon lights and the giant statues and the impossible architecture.

It's weird, Batman Forever was the first Batmovie I saw in theaters, and it left a pretty big impression on me, down to influencing my tastes somewhat... but I still think it's objectively the worst Batman movie.

The Good:
>Dat soundtrack
>Dat score is pretty good too - it gets a little repetitive after a whole movie, but I love the swelling, triumphant theme.
>The Batsuits. Yeah yeah, rubber nipples, the '89 design never looked better than when they designed a version of it that could actually move, and the monochrome one from the third act really influenced the teched-out tacticool looks of Begins' Batsuit.
>The production design in general...
>And ESPECIALLY Barbara Lings Gotham City, with its contrast of nightmarishly vivid neon and shadows between looming buildings and statues, a city that's as dense vertically as horizontally. Easily my favorite "look" for the city to this day.
>On a related note, the neon face-paint gang, and just the general commitment to "theme" gangs in Gotham that carried over to B&R.
>The first half minute or so of Two-Face's first scene.
>Nicole Kidman tied up
>Two-Face's dialogue isn't half bad if you close your eyes and pretend he's the Joker.

And uhh, that's about it.

The Bad:
>Val Kilmer playing a Batman carved out of balsa wood, trying to ape Keaton's quiet weirdness when the script finally gave Bruce stuff to do was a mistake.
>Chris O'Donnell was Literally 30 Years Old at the time. Even if he weren't miscast, his character was written to be a total douchelord, and partially responsible for me thinking Dick was a chode for most of my life. To this day, I roll my eyes anytime the comics try to write him as a bad boy or rebelling against Batman.
>Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey were both wasted. WASTED, I tells ya!
>Speaking of wasted potential, Riddler's backstory and scheme really would've fit the Mad Hatter better.

The Ugly
>The Batmobile. Even as a kid I thought it was way too busy. Maybe it was deliberately ugly?

You like B&R better than Forever?

weirdly small lips

The visual design of the movie was the one thing I could see something positive in if I squinted a bit.

Because its fucking Gotham. Have you not been reading the thread?

This is not a subtle place

Even Nolan knew that Batman opened the door to batshit craziness.

A central theme of TDK Batman lead to Gotham being over taken by costumed freaks. Look at all the scenes of Joker vs "normal " crime.

Those aren't tommy guns, they just have the same kind of drum mag.
They're also cool as shit.

i prefer Burton's Gotham desu, but i like Schumacher's too.

But i think we can all agree that Nolan's "Chicago-lite" Gotham sucks ass.

>subtle
>The city that has a fucking weapon supermarket

It had a cashier and intercom and everything!

I love the self awareness added to Morrison's Gotham. Batman always had that meta aspect what with Batman being a persona designed by Bruce like a character . Batman in universe is just as iconic and omnipresent as ours . People power level wank and post on forums in the DCU just like us.

Gotham is the broad way of crime people actually go there just go the experience like it's Vegas .

I like how the recent Batgirl captured it. Like for example you got these two game designers, they aren't sucessful so what do they do?

They kidnap the high scorers of a mobile app, take over an abandoned warehouse force them to make videogames BUT FOR REAL and then dress up like Daft Punk and call themselves CO OP.

too bad that Batgirl was (is?) an awful comic and executed that idea poorly.

>game designers
>portrayed negatively in an SJW rag

Holy shit!

It's like Kim Possible.

Was stylish as shit though . I've long held that modern day is a great analog for the 60s. The focus on youth culture, new media driving a culture of image and exposure , changing society, generation clashes, social movements, a new focus on pop culture and "low art" a bright and hypergraphic aesthetic style. 2016 is basically the future Warhol imagined. So Batgirl basically being a remake of Batman 66 but in the modern day was a fucking BRILLIANT concept. It was mediocrely written but people respond to a strong creative vision even if the execution isn't all there (see:TNF)

>social movements
except in the 60's there were actually causes left to fight for

But Gotham itself kept getting less interesting in each sequel. I think Batman Begin's Gotham looked really good. Looked like a real city yet had fantasy elements to it. Then in TDK they just said fuck it, Chicago.

Nah... Batman Returns is the best Gotham.

this is my favorite batman movie, i've seen it like 50 times.

TAS had the best Gotham though. that shit looks disgusting

>muh 50's art deco

Daily reminder that thinking the DCAU is gospel is code for "I don't read comics".

>DCAU is gospel
who are you quoting?

you're mother

>merely shitposting
nice one

>merely
Shitposting is the answer, my son.
I found god in the navy seal pasta.

>merely
Shitposting is the answer, my son.
I found god on Sup Forums.

Wait was this from the tour de france?

Listen to Gil Scott Heron's Comment #1 the same shot is said about milineals today

I do have to say the black buildings and red sky look amazing if a bit too homogenous

I think that works as part of a larger Gotham, like an old town.

My headcanon is all the different neighborhoods of Gotham have the various styles of the city we have send but they are all smashing into and overlapping on each other

And the same city where gangs consist of white guys in glow in the dark facepaint fight people with neon light poles and glowsticks?

Apparently Schumacher thinks rave weirdos are gangs.

Weirdos in colorful costumes?

Sounds like Gotham crime to me.

Warriors style gangs are fun.

Good job, OP. You made me want to wat h BF and BnR for the first time in years just to apreciate the scenary.

100% agreed

I want these in the books

Schumacher's Gothan is Burtan's Gotham lit up by Max Shrek's power plant.

The initial layout was set by insane people and the entire area was been cursed by devil worshipers more than once. It breeds psychosis like the rats in the sewers.

>Schumacher's Gotham is Burton's Gotham if it were a gay bar

FTFY

Is that a statue of Deadman?

At least it had the redeeming factor of everyone just trying to have fun with it.

shit looks like a cheesy themepark

Well that would explain all the people running around in costumes and make-up.

It looks like an amazing theme park.

>O'Donnell was Literally 30 Years Old

Damn. Time has been pretty kind to him.

...as opposed to a city steeped in gothic imagery

That's kinda the point. It's been built by the wealth of dozens of families over the centuries and it's eaten them all. Some into obscurity others into madness and then one that keeps trying with each generation to save Gotham as it still rots and decays.

THIS is my new head cannon.

I just want a rendition of Gotham that takes inspiration from 70s New York. Is that so hard to ask?
70s NY would make for a GOAT Gotham
youtube.com/watch?v=KFgyezfS6ik

>Different artists have depicted Gotham City in different ways. They often base their interpretations on various real architectural periods and styles with exaggerated characteristics, such as massively multi-tiered flying buttresses on Gothic cathedrals or the huge art deco and art nouveau statuary seen in Tim Burton's movie version. Cyberpunk, Japanese, and Greek elements were presented in Joel Schumacher's series of films.
Sounds more like he tried to add something different. Which is why it looks awful

That was the best fucking part of Gotham. The point when I realized the writers weren't taking this shit seriously at all and I shouldn't be either.

That works. Kinda like some US cities. They'll build in one direction for a few years then things will change and then they'll start moving in a new direction. Only with Gotham it's all moving towards each other growing over and consuming. Neat idea.

Crime Alley outskirts fit that bill. Belive that is pretty much the "Brooklyn" area.

I think 70s are good for Daredevil like in that movie concept.

Batman strikes me more as a 40s/50s thing, or whenever Tommy Guns and italian mobsters were popular

deepest lore

Are you trying to tell me giant tortured metal men arent gothic?

It does . A lot of Gotham is basically if 70s Times square started consuming the whole city

I just told you what I told you. It looks like a Disneyworlds Gotham funpark as opposed to a dark city with a twisted history.

But lets be real - this is a pointless "you like it, and I dont" discussion so enjoy your taste.
Im out.

Just how Camp is Gotham?

Also have the Giant statues only showed up in videogames?

How are giant naked biblical bdsm torture statues not twisted?

Now that I am looking at it. The Arkham games took a lot of cues from The Schumacher Ling stuff

They can be. They just look stupid in the movie. You obviously disagree. Pointless to go on about it.

yeah, its a shame really...

Fine line between ridiculous and stupid

If Gotham city doesn't look like it's lost its shit, you are doing something wronh