Exclusives War

Should Marvel strike back?
They certainly need writers right now.
Who would you lock if you were Marvel?

>bleedingcool.com/2016/08/19/another-marvel-and-dc-comics-exclusive-war-is-upon-us/

Strike back with what? Who's left? Marvel already played their hand early when they signed sloppy seconds Lemire and Souls. With Bendis and Aaron and Spencer they have their own core. DC didn't lock that many good people under exclusive either.

Well dc just finished a time where tons of writers/artists left and got some newer ones on smaller books, so all that was left was putting some of the those new writers on bigger books and making sure marvel doesn't take them and making them happy so they don't leave.

Marvel is currently in the second phase after a lot of their bigger writers left for Image.
But they now have Bendis, Waid, and Lemire on like 5 books each, most of those being bigger books and flagship books, so that won't help
They have a couple writer they've started to trust with bigger books, like Walker, but it'll be a while until one gets put ona flagship book.

They ones that they did take from Marvel, as in doing a lot of work for Marvel before hand were all high quality though and Marvel in return got exceptionally shitty writers for the most part.

Soule and Lemire's books are literal garbage and the two out of the three that you just mentioned with the exception of Spencer have been pushing out raw shit for the past few years. At this moment in time, I have dumped nearly everything published by Marvel except Miracle Man and Vision. I just wait to see if something is going to catch my eye in the story times now.

Interesting point about Rosenberg who wasn't in Snyder's class I think. I really like his work, he is what I expect unpretentious Fagtion would be like. How is Kingpin?

>They ones that they did take from Marvel, as in doing a lot of work for Marvel before hand were all high quality though
Only ones that fit the bill are Abnett(usually decent but never great) and Humphries(nuff said)

Lemire's MK is good, better than anything Spencer is doing anyway.

Marvel is currently horrible

a) talent recruitment. It looks like their current recruiter, the ex-Wizard staffer isn't doing his job and DC is sucking up all the indie talent. So the people coming in aren't the best.

b) talent retention. Anyone with a modicum of talent left has jumped ship to Image or DC now so you have c/d-list talent and people like Bendis and Aaron who are way past their sell date running the show.

>Abnett
>never good
I'd say he's always at least decent but when he's good, he's really good.

Aquaman has been fantastic.

Is Rosenberg the guy that did We Can Never Go Home? I really liked that until the last issue which was pure dogshit and ruined the series for me, not interested in the sequel.

Aquaman is meh with shit art.

Honestly it feels more like marvels direction is. just grabing a hole bunch of medicore to awful writers in order to help push their diversity angle. DCs new 52 was godawful but at least it got better over time where as this sems to be going no where but down.

>implying having good writers at Marvel would accomplish anything when everything written has to be based off Bendis and Slott stories

I find it hilarious that DC is trying to bring back all the old guard.

>Frank Miller
>Marv Wolfman
>John Ostrander
>Christopher Priest
>Garth Ennis

What's next? I'll be laughing if John Byrne is next.

Marvel is poaching a lot of talent from DC but these people just end up producing inferior work from what they did at DC.

Waid is next.

Please no.

Yeah, he was co-writer, also writing 4 Kids walk in the bank.

What happened with that book? Didn't keep up with it past the 3rd issue. Lioked interesting but ibfeltbit was too predictable.

Forgot:

>Greg Rucka
>Paul Dini

Yes, Dini's back.

LOL
FUCK

Most everyone DC signed their exclusives with were primarily publishing the bulk of their work with DC. Yes, they may have been working on a book or so with Marvel or elsewhere, but the bulk of their work with the exception of Dogfucker who was primarily Marvel and Abnett who did considerable with both was already with DC. They were basically already house creatives and DC basically just rewarded them further for their work since they wanted them for more projects over the next couple of years.

If Marvel's talent scouting and development was more than "search Tumblr, ask people on Twitter for advice and take DC's sloppy seconds then they wouldn't be in this position. As is, if this article is correct, they're going for DC's sloppy seconds who they don't have lined up for a book again. Meanwhile DC will have this wave of creatives they've cultivated in their prime until they ditch them for the new trained hotness a couple of years from now.

Damifag left fast.

Waid is a cuck but I wouldn't mind if he replaced Berganza as Superman Editor.

I don't think DC will really go after someone who argued that being attracted to little girls is perfectly okay. Unless they have some guest art issue that he can do then go back to his cave.

Byrne was mostly mediocre to terrible at DC. I hope not, and has he ever done anything lately?

Whybrid is it surprising? One of the stated objectives for Rebirth is getting that classic DC vibe back. They're bringing back some older favorites to act as veterans with the new guys.

TOM KING IS CANCER:

Alan Moore

Williamson wasn't. I hear they also have Joelle Jones under exclusive and Mitch Gerards was previously at Marvel before SoB. Abnett was doing just as much for DC as he was doing for Marvel.

That would take black magic to a level never seen before.

The case of Lemire and Soule bear examing:

Soule - does well on Red Lanterns and Swamp Thing, but shits it up with SM/WW. Doesn't do any better with Wolverine or Inhumans. Almost certainly shows that his earlier work and success was because of his editor.

Lemire - uneven on team books. Decent to great solos. Does well on Animal Man & Green Arrow. Marvel steals Sorrentino causes him to jump ship for Marvel which exposes his same old flaws we have known about: shit on team books.

I think both of these cases show Marvel's editorial game is as weak as their recruitment. Giving Lemire EXM is a sign of this. And Soule not doing any better as well imo.

All Marvel editorial cares about are sales numbers and reaching their targets via reboots/relaunches and celebrity writers/shock storylines. The old editorial philosophy of telling good stories and editing the shit out of the talent isn't there.

We know he can do better with a good editor, his work at DC shows that. It just seems most of the editors now at Marvel are phoning it in.

He retweeted DC hate the next day lmao

There is no way in hell he'd ever do that.

Lemire's Moon Knight is dope and I enjoy Inhumans

He doesn't like Dan Didio and Jim Lee and Bob Harras for obvious reasons. He likes Johns because a) little bad blood b) they both love the Flash.

Gerry Conway and Len Wein are also doing stuff right now

Gerry Conway's with Marvel, right? While Len Wein's with DC?

>They ones that they did take from Marvel, as in doing a lot of work for Marvel before hand were all high quality though
>all high quality
>Humphries
>literally Marvel's worst writer

Eh, Lemire was starting to go downhill towards the end of his DC exclusive. Worth to note is that I think his MK is good, and he's doing great with Descender. For DC he also did Superboy and Sweet Tooth and they were great. Uneven is a good word while Souls just caught lightning in a bottle with Swampy(RL was not good).

The curious thing is that they snatched artists from DC that were great(Saiz)but are turning in subpar work at Marvel now.

Kill yourself.

The Dogfucker case goes along with what this user said .

Somehow Dogfucker has managed to do a good book under DC editorial. So... i don't know, man.

>RL was not good

I disagree. RL was if anything the title that caught Sup Forums's attention in the first place and started the whole Soule train meme.

Conway's writing Firestorm for DC too.

The issue with artists like Saiz is that the colorists they pair them up with aren't good for their art more often than not.

Hopeless

Red Lanterns was hot garbage and Sup Forums's taste is not to be trusted. Swamp Thing was a fluke.

>meme
Well said

RL suffers from a lot of problems apart from the shitty dialogue and destroying Atrocitus.

>Meredith Finch is in Snyder's class too
kek

Yeah Marvel colorists are pretty shit.

>accuses DC of fucking him out of his omnibuses
>ten minutes later
>they call him to say they got his omnibuses en route

I feel like this is an underappreciated aspect of Geoff Johns. In an industry full of assholes being assholes and all sorts of drama, he manages to maintain really positive relationships with people in the business, even when they hate DC.

>Marvel representatives have been targeting students of Scott Snyder‘s DC Comics Writers workshop

>Marvel saves DC from Tynion

Just wait until Bendis revolutionize industry when he starts his own writers workshop.
>How to Fill Page with Pointless Bubbles 101

>mfw Moore returns for DCU vs Manhattan event

Tynion is...not that bad.

>not reading Tec

He ends every class on a cliffhanger.

He's got potential to be good, Talon started out good, it just kind of... went off the rails.
Maybe Marvel will do what DC did with the Dogfucker and get an actually good book out of him.

>and has he ever done anything lately?
Not sure what he's been up to lately aside from those weird Star Trek photocomics

He holds same class twice in a row.

>Lemire - uneven on team books
>uneven
you're being awfully generous

Doubt it. He's done fine stuff for DC, his Tec's nice and Constantine was good.

>Dogfucker
His Avengers A.I. was actually pretty good too...

Black Hammer's pretty good so far. That probably evens the ratio a bit.

she needs it more than anybody else there

>Sup Forums liked Red Lanterns
>Sup Forums likes Green Lanterns
Sup Forums has awful taste in GL stuff tbhwyf

GLfags are just desperate right now. Just like Supesfags.

No you just have shit taste. Stop projecting that on us.

Johns was God tier

And Soule was great.

He retcons past grades and classes.

>t. nigger

No u

Black Hammer isn't really a traditional Superhero book.

>GLfags are just desperate right now
I don't blame them, they just need to stop insisting that Dogfucker's bland, repetitive GLs is good just because it isn't as pessimistic and boring as the GL line has been for years now

Agreed. It's refreshing to see John still be positive and keep that attitude.

Yeah.. his TMNT/Batman mini was fun and Tec has been entertaining, but it seems it can go off the rails at any minute.

He can be decent to good writer. Most of his bad books were just Snyder's pet projects.

Is there any good writer not yet discovered by Marvel or DC?

I don't think it was a fluke I think he needs to be on more supernatural character driven stories. Clearly her wheelhouse

Chris Dingess?

James Roberts?

I am sure that comicsalliance award and his tumblr brigade probably scared them all away.

Hopeless is a significantly better writer than Humphries. Like, no contest.

That worked so well when they swiped Bennett from Scott Snyder's DC Comics Writers workshop just to go "wew, she's even too awful for us. You can have her back."

What did they do?

More like Chris DINGUS am I right

>Chris Dingess
Is Manifest destiny any good?

Gillian Flynn apparently loves comic books and wrote one for Dark Horse. Her novels always do gangbusters, I'm sure a comic by her would do well too. I mean look at how Ta-Nehisi Coates's lukewarm trash sells, imagine an actual fiction author with some talent getting a book.

No, fuck you. Souless is godawful and deserves a bullet to the head.

So maybe Khouri can pull him to a DC book.

Don't make me laugh.

But he is

truly hopeless

Marvel doesn't pay it's writers as well as DC and DC offer writers far more freedom. You can't even call yourself a writer at Marvel anymore. Just a bitch at the end of editorials leash

Shit was hilarious

look at that numale face

the "will someone please have sex with my wife in front me" face

gross

>says the user posting on a Xibalban xeriscaping board

>most of the group is women

Fuck 'em. Let Marvel have them.

Lots. it's just that extremely difficult to break into the Big 2 without an advantage like nepotism.

This is the fucker that gave us the shittiest DareDevil comics ever. Keep that faggot away from my DC.