youtu.be/YMmrKORgNFc?t=15s
youtu.be/R9tDqmOPmto
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Power rankings

1. Kubo
2. Para-norman
3. Coraline
4. Box Trolls

Highest rated film currently in theaters.

But quality =/= sales. Talk more about this movie. It needs word of mouth.

I would have preffered Hanzo to have possessed the Origami Samurai rather than him being beetle

I'm really looking forward to seeing this and really want to avoid spoilers on it until I see it, but with my schedule it's starting to look like I can't see it until next week.

I'm pissed that one reason I'm probably not catching it this week is because my theater only has 2 2d showings a day for it, and I don't watch 3D. Anybody else having this problem?

I didn't think it'd be popular but I also didn't think it'd actually be difficult to catch.

>But quality =/= sales
>tfw there's a universe where Dredd did good in the box office, greenlighting the trilogy
>mfw this isnt that universe

Very strong first act. The later two are still enjoyable, but very rushed.

>Anybody else having this problem?
Yes and no

My theater only had ONE 2D showing. But I managed to get a ticket

I wanna have sex with The Sisters

retard alert, the studio is literally funded by a billionaire independent from the big studios

Just because the studio won't tank if the movie underperforms doesn't mean it doesn't still deserve to be seen and make money.

Every Laika movie has made at least 1.5x its budget back in theaters.

I liked it. Boss fight was a little Pg but the story as a whole was very nice

it's not disney so we don't like it

Yeah that seems about right.

It felt like it missed something. I mean you had strong characters but the ending didn't have any impact at the end. Also his aunt's did nothing wrong.

great movie, great supporting cast, unorthodox-but-effective use of family themes

my only complaint with the movie

>big boss battle against the moon king/grandfather at the end
>grandfather doesn't bust out his five-stringed lute when kubo restrings his lute with the three strings and proceed with a proper paper duel

You know, while they explained the three pieces, they never explained the chip thing Kubo uses to strum his instrument, that looked magical.

Yes, the guy who makes Laika comes from riches, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve the money to continue making said art, shouldn't be compensated for it or if that's not convincing enough for you daddy can always cut him off.

Laika exists purely for art sake but something can always happen, god bless nothing does, that may convince said people to stop whether the artists believing no one cares for their work or no more funding from Nike.

Loved it. Laika's best to date.

I cried at the end when Kubo gave his Grandfather humanity and said his final goodbye to his mother and father I just saw it tonight and I will highly recommend it to everyone. The only thing that felt fast was the second maguffin they collected, but that's a minor gripe

Not as good as Coraline, but still ace.

>lute
That was a Shamisen

I loved it. They did a spectacular job with the animation and visuals, it was very impressive. I plan on catching it again soon since the viewings seem weirdly limited.

I wish i had friends

I'll watch it on netflix or something...

Just watch it dude. Are you really that self-concious?

>I want to fug monkey

Yeah I said it!

Not the greatest animated movie or whatnot but a solid one I really enjoyed.

I thought the Aunts would be harder to tell apart but the different weapons and how one smoked from a pipe made it easy to discern them, even if we never learned their names.

I also liked that one Aunt's smirk when the mask broke.

I wish the movie was about 20 minutes longer to flesh out the villains a bit more, and give Kubo more time to use his magic or at least explain them a bit. It got to a point where 'This is magic, ain't got to explain shit' was starting to wear thin for me.

I also wanted some bigger indications of how much time was passing.

Also, I would like to see fanart of Kubo being the kid of Hanzo from Overwatch now. The Hanzo you did see resembled the other pretty well.

>Needing other people to go to the movies.

Cmon man
You look forward at a screen and be quiet.
It's nice to talk about it with friends right after but they're hardly required

I think Coralline wins in story, but in visual Kubo wins.
But then again Laika's just keeps getting better and better with each of their movies.

A solid 8/10

Second best animated film of the year

>Entertainment
Coraline > Para-Norman > Kubo > Boxtrolls

>Emotional Resonance
Kubo >/= Coraline > Para-Norman > Boxtrolls

The ending was plenty strong, it was the journey itself that was lacking.

It's one of my favorite of this year as well as one of my favorite movies of all time

So how collectively triggered are we gonna be when Moana takes the Oscar due to committee incompetence?

How triggered would we be if Sausage Party took it?

11/10 I was flabbergasted by how gorgeous it was.

Mcconaughey really won me over. The Beetle could have easily been an annoying comic relief character that was OOOO SO KOOKY! But he was really down to earth, he brought humanity to what could have easily been a caricature.

>tfw Kubo strings the Shamisen with his father's bow, mother's hair, and his own hair

>Explain/Give Kubo more time to use his magic

He used it the whole film. He was literally the spawn of a heavenly creature. What more explanation did you need?

I do agree with you on most of your other points though.

and the first?

Beautiful movie. Dragged a couple friends along as well.
I was shocked by how few people there were in the theater. It was us, and 3-4 other small groups, most of them with kids.
They didn't start advertising it well in advance and the TV spots literally just show comedic moments with zero movie context. Marketing team could have done better.

do i need to go see it?

You're missing the larger point - if we ever want more traditional animation to make a comeback, whether it's stop-motion, 2-D, whatever... these kinds of films need to start actually making some fucking money so other people will take a stab at it.

YES

absolutely

Is it me or did the trailers severely lower everyone elses expectations?
I'm a huge fan of Laika but when I saw the trailer (also after Boxtrolls mind you) I wasn't really expecting this to be good, but hot damn, I'm still figuring out whether or not I liked it more than Coraline

If love Laika's previous movies and stop motion in general than yes

I absolutely loved it. I'm still rattled with the way they killed off you know who. Did not see that coming.

I really did enjoy it. The aimation was awsome. The story felt rushed at times but the character interaction was enjoyable, especially those few between beetle and monkey.

>I wish the movie was about 20 minutes longer
That's alot to ask in a stop motion animation but it really did need it. I feel like I was pulled into its' story only to be left wanting to know more because it only tells you what I need to know and little more. If this was the opening of a series it would be one hell of a strong start.

Also
>Hanzo
>not Genji wielding his golden sword

It could be man, have to show your support.

but Box trolls was their weakest

>The reason the mother went brain dead was because she was a moon spirit
>meaning during the day, her earthly body was empty.

Was the only weapon that she came equipped with was her smoke pipe?

>one Aunt's smirk when the mask broke
I'd fuck that demi god

and two fucking swords you dunderbrain

>I'm still figuring out whether or not I liked it more than Coraline
I left the theater thinking that I need to rewatch Coraline now for that same reason.

What was wrong with the trailers? I thought they were well put together, especially the 2nd and 3rd ones:
youtu.be/YMmrKORgNFc?t=15s
youtu.be/R9tDqmOPmto

shit really? the theater i went to kind of had a shitty screen, so i thought she stole the golden sword somehow offscreen.

>With no other family left (who are not amnesiacs) Kubo must now live with his Uncle Benji at the Omnic monastery in Nepal.
>Hanzo proceeds to WILL HIMSELF BACK FROM THE DEAD when Benji promises to teach Kubo how he used to pick up on girls.

>Benji

Fuck you, autocorrect.

That wasn't my original idea but fuck that, yours is better.

That ending was incredibly depressing.

Kubo says that he wishes the story's ending was happier, and then makes up a happy ending to please the audience. His parents never came back as spirits, he never saw them again, the lamps never turned into herons. He is left alone, orphaned, to tell this story to the world.

Stop it, user; you're hurting me.

No, she bumped her head on a rock im the water, remember?

Not visually.

I mean it had less magic to show it off but every lil thing that'd seem impossible for stop motion was perfect.
Giants smoke stacks, beads of sweat rolling down faces, other thing I can't remember since it is like 4am

My point is Box trolls still had along visuals even if it wasn't in a story that had as big visuals as before.

didn't like the village not telling the truth to the grandfather, but i understand it was essentially necessary for the movie to have a happy ending, though i wish the grandfather had faced the consequences of his actions (maybe mortality is enough)

It wasn't. They just channeled the magic through it, but it was the never the source of anything. You'd noticed if you payed attention in the beginning and when Kubo's mom sacrificed herself that she never needed the chip to perform magic.

I don't know, there's no sign of it coming out in my country. Even Pets just about to release next week

Not triggered at all because Moana is going to get 99% on RT, The Rock is going to crack us all up, and Moana will be Sup Forums's collective waifu until Hermione and the Beast is released.

Kubo?

More like Cute-o.

I think I liked Paranorman just slightly more than Kubo, but other than that I agree.

I've never seen the point of needing to be with a group when seeing a movie. It's not like you're going to be talking during the film.

I want to cuddle Kubo

Does this Laika film lack hips??

Kubo smiles more than any other Laika character. And that's a Laika fact.

Coraline's mom has them hips

What are the chances of there being merch for this film? I have a MIGHTY NEED for a figure of Kubo's aunt's, as I love their character design, and Kubo, as I love shotacon.

did any of Laika's other film got merch?

I don't think so?

How much would you pay?

It was alright. It had some plot holes. I thought Paranorman was better.

you could always get yourself a 3d printer
since all the laika models are just done with a 3d printer

So
>Kubo
>Coraline
>Boxtrolls
>Paranorman
I really didn't enjoy Paranorman all that much.

Probably only up to a grand. Nowhere near the 50K that the Other Mother went for in the last Laika auction.

The faces are 3D printed to save time, but a lot of it is still done by hand.

Honestly, GSC and FREEing could easily do excellent figures of all of Laika's stuff. Maybe its inevitable success in Japan will get them to do it.

If Hanzo could go toe-to-toe with his wife even without the weapons and armor and survive, a child with no combat experience could severely wound the night king, and Monkey could beat one of her sisters without the help of magic, what was the point in scattering the golden weapons and sacrificing yourself in a pointless battle when you and your wife could have shitstomped the night king and the aunts if you two were at full strength?

I want to watch the Japanese dub of Kubo now. Do Laika films even get that much attention in Japan

Its implied that their magic is extremely powerful, the sisters just prefer to use physical force. Hanzo turning into Beetle was fast and painful. He had no actual time to react.

Who would protect baby Kubo if both parents fought?

Its also implied that the armor and helmet gives you immunity to magic. Again, why scatter them and not use them against the night king?

If hiding him in a cave worked for over a decade, I'm pretty sure they could have just put him somewhere during the day with a caretaker and been done with the night king that night, since they outclassed him so hard

He hid away his armor so Kubo would be able to find it, and so the Sisters couldn't get their hands on it.
The Moon King is essentially a God. Hanzo knew that he wouldn't survive the battle, but as long as his baby mama and child got away, he was content with facing Death at its door.

I don't think Hanzo had been able to retrieve the Helmet Invulnerable by the time the sisters came for him.

If the sisters and the night king had any intention of finding the golden weapons, why didn't they, in over a decade, walk into the ruins of the fortress owned by the guy who hid them, where their locations and the traps set up to defend them are giant tapestries? Seems like the first place I'd look.

Also
>Hanzo knew that he wouldn't survive the battle
Why? Kubo was able to inflict serious wounds on the night king with no combat experience or training. Seems like Hanzo, with the weapons, would curbstomp him.

>I don't think Hanzo had been able to retrieve the Helmet Invulnerable by the time the sisters came for him.
It was my understanding that he was the one who hid them, seeing as their locations are plastered to the walls of his fortress. My question is why hide them at all? So your son can fight your battles for you? You already have tons of combat experience, the best weapons in the world, and the strongest of God's Celestial daughters on your side. Seems like you have a much better chance of winning than your son, who will likely never be as good a fighter as you are after a lifetime of fighting, MIGHT be as powerful as his mom, and MIGHT be able to find the golden weapons already in your possession

I'm pretty solidly in the other camp, the adventure was great. The skeleton fight, the boat fight and encounter with the eyes, the comfy trek and bickering between Monkey and Beetle

The ending... geez what the fuck even happened in the ending? Kubo didn't use his paper folding abilities, the armor was useless, and he just "love trumps all" his granpappy with the souls of the dead and a barrier thingy

I dunno what to tell you user, Laika did well with having the story be like every other Japanese hero tale, where one must go on a journey to gain powers and abilities.

>where one must go on a journey to gain powers and abilities.
this is exactly the problem, he didn't gain any powers or abilities

Even more than Neil from Paranorman?

That's quite a feat.

You seriously misunderstand the tone and mindset of the movie if you think that plot devices should take precedent over the recurring themes and ideas.

Simply killing the grandfather would give you bittersweet satisfaction. Reforming him denies that revenge and is the kinder, more human action that is inherently less satisfying.

And seriously, of course the fucking armor is useless. Holy armor like that is always fucking useless. If it works then nothing matters after it's obtained.

I mean, they did alright. They just needed to tweak a few things imo.