What the fuck was his problem?

What the fuck was his problem?

shut up rihanna

Go to /out/, youll get more attention. Garunteed 90 (you)s.

How did you know?

psi

More like what was society's problem, man

He is the villain of the film. Doesn't realise that friends and family are the point of life.

>he went to your high school
>you were on the xc team
>your coach cried during this movie
Gave me feelios

What was the moral of his story? What did he mean in the end of the movie?

he followed his dreams, which is something none of the basement dwellers here would ever understand

if you're suicidal, just buy a gun

Are you saying you went to high school at the same time as him or that you went to the same high school but much later?

He wasn't suicidal at all, just incredibly naive.

The movie was just propaganda to beat into you the idea that you need civilization.

good idea, then i can shoot someone between the eyes and take her millions

>shoot someone between the eyes and take her millions

??

Life's only worth living if it's a shared experience

bullshit. you dont owe anyone a god damn thing.

He was so cute in the movie. The real one doesn't look that young.

Dont be a retard when outdoors.

True. But what did he mean by ''call it by its right name''? Why did he go back to his old name? Did he regret it in the end?

>actor playing person in biopic is more attractive

Yeah, what a surprise. That never happens.

>500ft away from the nearest main road

I laugh about his death at least once a year.

calling it a "main road" is a bit of a stretch.

being white.

marxist college profs

The guy is legend. He told society to "fuck off" and went and did his own thing. His ill preparedness and inexperience got him killed, but that doesn't change the fact that he was doing something different with his life than most other plebs.

I can guarantee you that if some fuckwit tried to do this today, they would instagramming/snapchatting their journey numerous times a day, getting money from their rich parents so they wouldn't have to sleep outside in the rain, using google maps to chart the easiest course, and yelping about local restaurants along the way.

source?

I do agree that even though McCandless did his thing in the early 90s and it wasn't that long ago relatively speaking but it might as well have been a completely different world.

different doesnt always mean good, faggot. Also when he did this there was no snapchat/instagram so we'll never know if he would have done it had the timeline be different.

My family, my friend, I have criss-crossed this great land of our countless times. I hold a map of it here, in my heart next to the joyful memories o the carefree days I spent as a young boy here in your beautiful town of Twin Peaks. From Alexandria, Virginia to Stockton, California. I think about Lewis and his friend Clark, the first Caucasians to see this part of the world; their footsteps have been the highways and byways of my days on the road. My shadow is always with me, sometimes ahead, sometimes behind, sometimes to the left or sometimes toe the right. Except on cloudy days or at night.
My dharma is the road; your dharma...

he was a dumbass. him dying alone in the wilderness isn't brave or inspiring at all.

>he was doing something different with his life

Yep. Wasting it eating poison and then dying because he was such a retard.

Fuck Trump. I'm going to go live in the woods. Fuck no I don't need to learn anything about the wilderness.

Lack of contact with reality for being raised in a comfortable environment. Many people like him lacks experience with real world problems like poverty or uncertain economic future, for example. So, they have to artificially fabricate problems to feel they are something in life. A classic case of the so called "first world problems".

Unlike others who learn of their own stupidity and can move one, he just died.

didn't old people do that in the previous centuries, just go alone in the woods to die

Physical and emotional abuse. It gets brushed over in the movie, but the guy did actually have problems.

>different doesnt always mean good, faggot.
When did I say otherwise. He was doing something different that really didn't physically hurt anyone other than himself.

> Also when he did this there was no snapchat/instagram so we'll never know if he would have done it had the timeline be different.
No fucking way. The guy was a loner. He was born in 1968 and if he was doing this last year as opposed to the 90's, I guarantee you he wouldn't be doing that instagram/yelp millenial shit.

>at first:
>did his own thing
>but then:
>repent and cry for help

His ass. There was a hand operated tramway that he could have used to cross the river which was close to where he had initially crossed the river back in April. It wasn't close to the bus where he was staying though.

>Yep. Wasting it eating poison and then dying because he was such a retard.
Irrelevant. He tried something different and failed. But he did what he wanted to do and had no regrets (according to his journal entries).

>Fuck Trump. I'm going to go live in the woods. Fuck no I don't need to learn anything about the wilderness.
He just picked up and went. It worked for him for years and eventually his luck/skill/whatever ran out. Shit happens. But he was out there doing what he loved. We're all on a fucking weeb message board talking about it.

I wish I had the balls that he had.

Even if we don't want it to, eventually our biological instincts for survival kick in. Just the way it is.

He honestly would have been just fine if he had simply taken plenty of food supplies. He arrived in Alaska in April so it wasn't even that cold.

His dad used to beat him, the movie didn't show that, I guess it was pretty shitty leaving his sister with his dad, but that's why he ran away, prob got beat up worst for being a male.

betrayed by the instinctual jew yet again

You'd be wise not to confuse bravery with idiocy. To embark on anything that dangerous without any preparation is, well, a death ticket.

>He honestly would have been just fine if he had simply taken plenty of food supplies. He arrived in Alaska in April so it wasn't even that cold.
No doubt. But that's not what his journey was about. He wanted to go and LIVE AND SURVIVE in the wild. Bringing a huge amount of supplies would have defeated that. He brought a bag of rice to get him started and he planned to live off of the local fish/wildlife afterwards. Didn't work out of course.

His journal mentions how he cant move anymore why was that? Was he just too hungry to walk?

>a guy who died when he went camping without a phone is considered an icon in america

>You'd be wise not to confuse bravery with idiocy. To embark on anything that dangerous without any preparation is, well, a death ticket.
I'm not saying he wasn't foolish. That's not the issue. I admire that he went out and did what he wanted in the face of all odds, even though he failed. He wanted to go live in the wild. Anything else, would have just been a long camping trip.

>>a guy who died when he went camping without a phone is considered an icon in america
It was the early 90's you fucking underage. Only rich people and X-Files characters had cell phones.

not sure if bait or stupid.

Why didn't he fuck Kristen Stewart?

This is the biggest question of the movie. She was prime.

>"He followed his dreams unlike you sheep working 9-5, none of you would understand!"

>Driver offered to buy him gear and equipment but he refused
>Managed to kill a moose that he could have lived on for months but he didn't know how to preserve the meat
>Realized he was in over his head and tried to go back after 3 months, but the water had risen
>Would have known of a road nearby if he had a map
>Left a note in his bus begging to be saved in case anyone found it
>Died of starvation

He didn't know he was a numale

this user gets it

Sooocietyyyyy you crazy breeeed

>Driver offered to buy him gear and equipment but he refused
He didn't want it. He wanted to live and survive on his own with minimal supplies (which would eventually run out forcing him to hunt/fish for food). I wouldn't expect an instagrambabby like you to understand such a concept.
>Managed to kill a moose that he could have lived on for months but he didn't know how to preserve the meat
He fucked up. He himself acknowledged this in the movie. Too bad he didn't have a youtube clip like you retards watch all day.
>Realized he was in over his head and tried to go back after 3 months, but the water had risen
Shit happens.
Again, minimal supplies/information was what he was going for in this journey. He knew deep down that such a scenario of him getting trapped could probably happen, but he still took the risk.
>Left a note in his bus begging to be saved in case anyone found it
Survival instincts kick in. And death by starvation is brutal way to go.
>Died of starvation
Fucking way she goes.

This, unless he dreamt of a slow painful death he didn't follow shit

Why the fuck would you go anywhere without a map

That's not risk taking that's just severe retardation

>Life's only worth living if it's a shared experience
"herr derr I'm afraid to be alone and need constant companionship, facebook likes, people to watch my snapchat stories, and 18 group chats going at the same time".

Fuck off numale.

How could he have preserved the moose meat anyway? It's not like he had the resources to dry and cure it.

>Why the fuck would you go anywhere without a map
Because that's how he wanted it. He wanted to EXPLORE the wild. (also, before Google Maps, guys tended to not use maps or ask for directions, just the way it was back then).

>That's not risk taking that's just severe retardation
Based on that logic most things are "severe retardation". Why would any astronaut get into a space shuttle after numerous deadly explosions from day 1? Why would someone go rock climbing when there's a chance of falling?

Source on this supposed road?

what matters is, that he took the jump into the unknown. that's more than anybody on this board and most people could ever do.

>How could he have preserved the moose meat anyway? It's not like he had the resources to dry and cure it.
If I remember the movie correctly, he tried to smoke it. I think he just fucked it up somehow.

>Source on this supposed road?
Not him, but I don't think it was a road. If I remember correctly, there was some kind of manual hand pulley that enabled people to cross the river in the event that it go too overflowed to swim over. This pulley was only a mile or so from his location.

Jesus Christ you are an absolute retard
Kill yourself

>here's a new car son so you don't have to drive that old piece of shit anymore
>I DON'T NEED THINGS THINGS THINGS

was he autistic?

Explain. Just using blanket statements without any real info is retarded.

I used to be in denial like you, but with age, you realise that it's true (well, the actual quote at least, not the pharaprased one you replied to) Eating crappy food with someone you love and laugh with is a better experience than eating top notch food alone.

And how do you get ''constant companionship'' and ''facebook likes'' from that quote? You can still have alone quality time, you need both.

He doesn't have any problems anymore.

I think people get confused by this a lot. I looked into it and the tramway he could have used to cross the river wasn't close to the bus. It was relatively close to where he had initially crossed the river a few months before. When he tried to hike out in July he almost certainly had no clear idea of where he first crossed the river in April.

How in the fuck do you die from starvation in the middle of the woods. I heard a story about a POW who was caught and sent to Siberia, only to escape and walk home to eastern yurop, eating only dirt and tree bark or some shit.

>Eating crappy food with someone you love and laugh with is a better experience than eating top notch food alone.
Says you. We're not all the same. That's something your generation has trouble grasping. According to the education you got in school, we're all equal regardless of color, gender, sexual preference, etc. People are different. Some like big groups of friends, some like a small close group of friends, some like no friends. Just the way it is. You say "it's fun to eat food with someone" could get a reaction of "dude, that's lame, I only eat food with my wife, 5 kids, numerous friends, and other family members".

>And how do you get ''constant companionship'' and ''facebook likes'' from that quote? You can still have alone quality time, you need both.
Nowadays "quality alone time" for young people is spent on the fucking phone in constant contact. It's fucking sad.

>guys tended to not use maps or ask for directions, just the way it was back then
Correction, guys who had no idea what they were doing and didn't realize how useful having just a fucking pencil, protractor, and a compass might be in conjunction with a map. Proper camping isn't something that was invented just this decade.

What insane logic do you have for comparing an astrounaut to some white guy feeling bourgeious guilt

do you really convince yourself you're happier on your own? because i can probably understand why nobody wants to hang out with you

>Proper camping isn't something that was invented just this decade.
He wasn't fucking camping you retard. He was LIVING AND SURVIVING IN THE WILD. What aren't you grasping. He didn't want a map, or a protractor. He wanted to just get out there and see where his journey ended up taking him.

>What insane logic do you have for comparing an astrounaut to some white guy feeling bourgeious guilt
The astronauts took a chance in spite of the fact that certain death was a real consequence. McCandless took a chance in spite of the fact that certain death was a real consequence.

>bourgeious guilt
It wasn't this, dummy. The kid was abused physically, verbally, and psychologically by his dad (and watched him mother and sister take the same abuse) and this was just how he reacted to it.

>do you really convince yourself you're happier on your own?
I'm fine. I tend to not like people that much (I'm not a fucking hermit, I have co-workers and family that I see), but for the most part I'm a loner. It's fucking shocking that you can't understand this. As I said though, your generation is being taught that genders are all the fucking same.

Well it took him to the grave so good for him

>Well it took him to the grave so good for him
Better than going to the grave posting on a weeb message board til the day you die.

>your generation

you're a millenial as well bro

unless you're 35+

>unless you're 35+
I am.

when eating berries, test them beforehand by showing them up your anus

Triggered

>According to the education you got in school, we're all equal regardless of color, gender, sexual preference, etc.
You are just assuming things about me. That wasn't what I hot taught in school. Not even close.
Well, I can't say that what I say is 100% true as I'm still experiencing life and not old and wise enough yet. Maybe you are right. But I'm not necessarily talking about friends. It could be your dad, your wife, your kid, your pet, whatever. Most of the good memories I remember are things I did with others. And they were rare, I spent most of my time alone. I was jusy fooling myself thinking I was better off alone.

>Nowadays "quality alone time" for young people is spent on the fucking phone in constant contact. It's fucking sad.
True, and sad indeed. But you know I don't mean that kind of ''quality time''.

>What was the moral of his story?

There is ALWAYS more to learn about anatomy and the world around us.
Who would have known that his potato diet would have caused temporary paralysis

This is true
Thats why imageboards and forums are so fucking popular.

The internet isnt fun if you cant interact with each other

>I was jusy fooling myself thinking I was better off alone.
Again, you're not getting it. I'm not saying your foolish for wanting to hang out with people you love and care about. But you think I'm "fooling myself" into wanting to be alone, when that's not the case. I REALLY want to be alone. Sometimes I fantasize about buying a plot of land upstate and living away from it all (not roughing it or anything, I would still have a house, tv, internet, etc).

>But you know I don't mean that kind of ''quality time''.
I know. But nowadays in some cases what used to be "quality time" has become "phone time". In high school me and my girlfriend took a 2 hour car drive somewhere. It was great, we talked, played car games, tried to find a good radio station, etc.
I took a similar car ride with a girl last year, she was on her fucking phone EVERY. FUCKING. SECOND, with her headphones on.

It's not your fault.

I didn't know Emile was sent to jail.

>Emile Hirsch was sentenced to 15 days in jail and 50 hours of community service following an assault on a female studio executive during the Sundance Film Festival in January.

I remember reading a while back that he was supposed to be starring in a John Belushi biopic but it seems like it got stuck in development hell.

When you punch a female jew studio executive, I can see a lot of your projects going into "development hell".

To each his own, user. There can be people who actually want to be alone. Like you, as you say. But most loners are like that because they never fit in even if they wanted to, so they say they are better off alone anyway, or say they hate people, to console themselves. That's why most people here get triggered over that quote so much.

I would like that. I really enjoy Emile's acting. The last movie of his that I saw was The Autopsy of Jane Doe, which was a good horror movie.

Fair enough, to each his own. But a loner can just as easily say that you hang out with people because you're afraid to be alone (which is certainly true in some cases, same way people claim to be "loners" when in actuality they wished they could fit in more).

Biggest plothole in the movie right here

True. That's why it's important to balance it out. It's only good if you are self-efficient when alone, and your whole life doesn't depend on other people. Like you said, most people are 24/7 connected to their friends via social media, and don't know what the fuck to do with their lives without it. Like it doesn't have a point to do anything if noone is seeing it.