If people find themselves complaining about Mary Jane’s ethnicity they have lives that are too good

>If people find themselves complaining about Mary Jane’s ethnicity they have lives that are too good.

>I can't respond to the racists - I'm not ever going to change their minds. But for the thoughtful majority of you out there:

>For me, if a character's primary attribute - the thing that makes them iconic - is the color of their skin, or their hair color, frankly, that character is shallow and sucks. For me, what makes MJ MJ is her alpha female playfulness, and if the actress captures that, then she'll work. And, for the record, I think Zendaya even matches what I think of as MJ's primary physical characteristics - she's a tall, thin model - much more so than actresses have in the past.

indiewire.com/2016/08/spider-man-homecoming-james-gunn-speaks-mary-jane-zendaya-casting-1201718839/

What's Sup Forums's thought on MJ now being black?

I don't mind it. Gunn is right.

It's important to note, he says he doesn't even remember which character she's playing even after reading the script and meeting her.
Doubt she's MJ.

I hate how Gunn tries to sound honest and clean in social media. This nigga clearly lies most of the time, the thing is he just takes time to answer questions on Twitter while other directors ignore them.

He obviously knows who plays MJ, he just isn't allowed to open his mouth so he feeds them bullshit.

She better have red hair

MJ is black.
Aang is white.
Superman is half asian.
Johnny Storm is black
Motoko Kusanagi is white.

They're all fictional

>I think Zendaya even matches what I think of as MJ's primary physical characteristics - she's a tall, thin model - much more so than actresses have in the past.

Shots fired at Dunst and whatserface

>Tries to take the moral highground
>By bodyshaming previous MJ actresses

First off, he didn't confirm the rumor
Secondly, he's right
Thirdly, Zendaya's barely black

Man, remember all the cancelled projects and castings we hear about from the '90s or whatever like when Robin was going to be black and Jimmy Olsen was going to be Chris Rock? How wold've Sup Forums reacted to that, was it Jewish agendas or just just "colorblind casting"?

no shit! what a pig

Seriously.

>For me, if a character's primary attribute - the thing that makes them iconic - is the color of their skin, or their hair color, frankly, that character is shallow and sucks.
Gunn must hate Luke Cage then

I hope ribbit runs with this

and Black Panther

>non-white character gets played by white actor
>'OMG NOT FAIR! Need more black people in movies pls'
>white characters gets played by white actors
'OMG NOT FAIR! Need more black people in movies pls'
>white character gets played by non-white actor
>'Dude race isn't even a thing, chill out'

Ribbit loves James "meme" Gunn though, no way they'd run with it.

A characters' race "doesn't matter" only if they're a white changed into a non-white.

Iron Fist has legitimate, story-driven reasons for being white and these people still said "he could be asian and still be an outsider".

Everyone's a hypocrite, including me and you, Anonymous.

If they wanted to make a show about persecution in the modern world while also giving representation to vastly under represented minorities, then Luke Cage should have been a transgender.

What if he was black?
According to the outsider concept the only thing important is that he's not Asian

If he's right then he's condoning any race changes in the future and his words should be used against any people that bitch about any race changes.

I wouldn't give a shit about this if the casting wasn't for the sole purpose of adding color to the movie. Like, stop saying other reasons behind casting a dark skinned, dark haired girl for an iconically pale redhead.

Then his friendship with Luke wouldn't be as interesting, and his relationship with Misty wouldn't be as 'progressive'.

He could be, he's better off being white for story purposes but he could have been anything other than asian and it would have mostly worked the same-- except for the whole old money WASP kid out of water aspect which would be harder to sell.

Can we have a black Hitler star in a retelling of WW2? Or does this just apply to fictional characters

He's right. But I do hope she gets the hair.

Of course

Heh, well then, what if he was Indian, central American, Arab, Italian...

And they chose a white actor so your argument is moot.
And there will always be retards.

>Insulting the fans and calling them bigots.
This worked so well for Ghostbusters.

Literally the only races that wouldn't work as well as white would be black or asian, any other race would be fine.

Just keep her out of the sun, dye her hair and add a lighter base to her make up pallet. BOOM

Didn't that make its money back?

You can't portray blacks in a hateful role like that.

How about casting every american soldier as a black guy. After all, race shouldn't matter, right?

Its production budget, but not the marketing.

>MJ is black
Ok, I've heard rumors but is this 100% confirmed or not?

He's got a point.

If you don't like it, don't pay to watch it.

It's more or less confirmed it's not happening. People are going fucking crazy anyway.

If they do this I'm SURE the black community would be in a shitfit about how we white-washed her to make her fit some stupid comic role. People would eat that up.

So wait, does this officially confirm the casting is MJ?

just start taking traditionally black characters and changing them to white

see what happens

>For me, if a character's primary attribute - the thing that makes them iconic - is the color of their skin, or their hair color, frankly, that character is shallow and sucks.

Black Panther is iconic for being black, so that's a stupid thing to say.

This. If she's really MJ I hope the extreme makeover theory is also true. I mean, Zendaya is pretty cute with that shabby look we've seen so far, but that just isn't MJ

movies are actually a blackhole from which no profits escape

Yeah, I'd be less annoyed if it went both ways but it doesn't. It just seems like over the years we've been inundated with "white is evil" bullshit and whatever so you get all this shit about how a character's skin color doesn't matter but that only applies to white characters. Try to change the race of a non-white character, especially if you make them white, and you'll catch holy hell until the studios capitulate and the directors issue spineless apologies.

No.

Asians have been dealing with that for years and nobody bats an eye.

The only thing that triggers me is when they cast a character the wrong color.

They should be able to grab a black guy that can act a certain way, and they should be able to grab a hispanic guy that can act a certain way.

I never want to see "TONY ORTIZ" played by a white dude that doesn't even look Hispanic, or a "CHING PO" played by a black guy.

That's why I'm against white people playing colored roles, and I'm also against colored people playing white roles. If anything, there really just needs to be more colored characters in movies.

Sold! Ok, so the Japanese will be played by tall white men... or is that racial appropriation
FUCK

Everybody keeps going "But they only chose the best actress for the role!"

I highly doubt an actress who's best known for Shake It Up on Disney Channel is the best actress for the role, and that there was nobody who tried out for the role that was at least equally talented who better looked the part.

Who is actually complaining though? I see articles all the time defending the casting choice and blasting all the critics. But I have yet seen articles about people going "quotas". I feel like SJW's and Marvel are just trying to stir up shit. No one cares about MJ's ethnicity as long as she is a red head and hot.

>wanna make new spiderman stand out from the last 2 iterations
>racebend established characters
>doesn't just create new ones to differentiate even further
I'm so confused

>and his relationship with Misty wouldn't be as 'progressive'
I guarantee you it's not seen that way by the race whiners. There's a strong thought that the idea of white men being with non-white women either irl or in fictional works, is racist in and of itself because white men hold all the power so it's essentially a form of sexual colonization or racial fetishism. Of course white guys being with white girls is racist too because they're being so close-minded that they can't picture themselves with another race or allow their women to date other races (specifically black men).

Then you have the fact black men dating white women pisses off black women too.

Have you even been reading Sup Forums?

Not really, some are reporting Sony might've lost $70million over it

It's easy to legitimize any bitching by saying you're a valuable fan. Those pushing for a more stronk and independent Harley Quinn consider themselves fans too, who are you to call them wrong about their vision of the character, right?

He's iconic for being the first black superhero, his characterization has very little to do with his race and way more to do with his nationality. If there were dozens of black capes at the time, as there were white ones, maybe you'd be less likely to point out his race.

fuck it why not just make everyone black and make it like the wiz

Let's have a white Luke Cage then.

>If people find themselves complaining about Mary Jane’s ethnicity they have lives that are too good.

We are overdue for another Holocaust.

>MJ
>not a shallow cunt before she married Peter
Okay

She's not playing Mary Jane. She's more or less confirmed to be either an original character or Michelle Gonzales.

I have seen a few troll threads kind of making fun of it but are obviously not serious. Most threads have ppl saying they don't care. Which surprised me, but Sup Forums has the jungle fever so its okay for female roles to be race swapped.

Half the threads are actually full of Sup Forums and Sup Forums shitposters whining about how being white is integral to MJ's character, with quite a few of them saying they weren't going to see the movie because of it.

No, you can't have them be played by white people. But, since there's so few american-asian actors we just have the few there are play high ranking officers, and cover the white actors who fill the ranks with face masks and full helmets. Also, don't credit those white guys in the end.

And no, we can't add japanese speaking parts, or german speaking parts then put subtitles on it. Everyone speaks english. Don't want to upset anyone who can't read well enough.

There are fucking 11 MJ threads including this one.

STOP.

This board is turning to shit the more and more Sup Forumsmblr drones immigrate. We need to take a leaf out of Sup Forums's book and just shit all over people who haven't read a single comic or cartoon. This is Sup Forums - comics and cartoons, not Sup Forums - tv and movies.

He said he was told at some point but he doesn't remember what character she's playing. Unless we assume he's.lying, I'd find it hard to believe he can forget Mary Jane of all characters

Sup Forumsmblr was how it was before the movies invaded you fucking newfag. It's the Sup Forums shitposters that are doing this, and they're the ones making it not Sup Forumsmblr.

Complete utter liar.

Name a good comic or cartoon out now that's popular enough to talk about, check the catalog and if it's not there, make a thread. People who want to talk about it will join.

So we're cancelling the Black Panther movie then.

>fans

If they're bitching about the movie than obviously they're not fans

>bigots

Stop being a bigot if you don't want to be called one? Not complicated.

It kinda makes sense what they are doing with the film racially. If it bombs (like most spider-man movies) the studio and actors will pull SJW card on the audience. It wont be cuz of shit writing or crappy acting

I'm down with this

As for Mar-Jaqueesha, there's a backlash because they're trying to reinvent the wheel. Yeah, nostalgia is a big part of it, but that's because Mary Jane is an iconic character - and that includes the way she looks.

And let's not pretend like it's not tokenism, the debacle over the Ancient One shows that Marvel Studios will drop the "champion of the downtrodden minorities" guise if it hurts the bottom line.

You may actually be on to something there...

OOOGA CHAKA OOGA OOGA CHAKA
just wanted to post that. James Gun is pretty based. How could a guy who made an awesome movie be wrong.

>She better have red hair

>TFW it's a weave

That's completely different, user. You know that, ask any highly paid exec. The Black Panther movie is empowering.

>If it bombs (like most spider-man movies)

yeah, I mean, thats a fair point, James. But you do realize that is the exact opposite of what social justice people think right? the entire point of "representation" is "the color of the skin effects their character, history, and treatment."

So then if someone wanted to make a movie where Black Panther is played by a White guy... that'd be just peachy keen, right?

Sup Forums here, I agree. You people are way too normalfag friendly.

Hitler isn't a fictional character, your analogy fails

I don't understand why we're not allowed to have bad characters though. Some characters just kind of do suck. Some characters don't have many redeeming qualities because they're not the goddamned superhero main character that the comic is about. I'm not saying Mary Jane sucks, but if everyone sees generic quirky friend side character #2 as blonde, but they're not all that fleshed out, who are you to turn them black? Where's your talent that changing their recognizable features makes them a better character?

So when is Blade going to be rebooted as a white guy? After all being black isn't an important attribute. It's his cool disposition in the face of being trapped between two isolated worlds.

Origin story isn't a problem either since poor whites exist.

>give the rights back to Marvel Studios
>they know how to do a good Spiderman movie!

Their logic is retarded, they should all just start dating Muslims so they'll realise how much worse they could have it.

>fan can't complain
Fan of the character, not of that character-butchering movie.

>stop being bigots
nigger, you don't get to arbitrarily change what bigot means to support your shit

>a fan should accept any bullshit without question
Fuck outta here.

By the same logic, if they're changing MJ's - and almost everybody else's - race from what Stan and Steve created, they aren't fans of the source material.

Oh... It will bomb.

Pretty much the same as black Hermione, black Human Torch and Black Little Orphan Annie. Don't care.

Neither are iconic cause they're black.

Luke is pretty much a no name. Without the Bendis push he'd remain at best an era of tokenism and/or forgotten as strong black man #42423.

BP tends to be well more known for his hyper advance background and being a combination of batman + doom in an African country unusually advanced.

You could race swap out BP like you could Batman. It'd work but feel off. Modern Luke the same. Although I think its the comics that hammer in racial persecution while other media just goes with generic chemical experiments on criminals.

DUDE RACISM LMAO

>If it bombs
Literally impossible.

>Origin story isn't a problem either since poor whites exist.
Bullshit, didn't you hear what Bernie said?

>man, fuck sjws
>Gunn outs himself as a sjw
>OH BOY SJWS RULE
Why do you do this to yourself, Sup Forums?

>Spider-Man
Farewell, MCU.

What is even remotely SJW about what he said?

MJ is remembered for many things: Her witty "not a damsel" attitude, her abusive relationship with his redneck dad, her red hair.

If you are not going to do the MJ character but a new MJ-like character, why call her MJ?

At this point is a disservice with the property.

>Colorblind Casting
Do they really expect people to believe that? They clearly cast minorities for white characters on purpose.