This shitstorm about Sony casting another black actor as a white character

>This shitstorm about Sony casting another black actor as a white character

>Acting like only white characters are turned into minorities and never the other way around

>Meanwhile, at Marvel Studios

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/search/text/strange/type/op/start/2016-04-10/end/2016-04-30/
desuarchive.org/co/search/text/tilda/start/2016-04-10/end/2016-04-30/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Marvel pandering to cancer patients again

Yeah user those damn negros! We have to stop them!

More like

>we want china to show this movie

She's not Chinese...

she's not tibetan, that's the point

Wasn't there a shitstorm when this happened?
Not to mention the shitstorm when they cast a white character as white?
Exactly.

Interesting how Sup Forums didn't care about the Ancient One but is now up in arms about Mary Jane.

I thought OP pick was a guy

>the Ancient One
Who?

I was.

Nope didn't happen

How could it have not if you reacted to it? Did you not happen too?

elaborate further.

China hates Tibet, that's really all you need to know.

From the movie's screenwriter:

>He originates from Tibet, so if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating one billion people who think that that’s bulls**t and risk the Chinese government going, ‘Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political’…

In all seriousness, it is kind of revealing when the Ancient One being a white woman only got 1 or 2 threads when it was revealed, but there's been 4 threads a day since MJ's casting was revealed. Basically what I'm saying is, the people complaining about MJ's casting are hypocrites, ESPECIALLY since the Ancient One being an Asian is integral to their backstory, whereas MJ being white isn't.

Marvel is doing it because they want Dr Strange to be Magic Iron-Man to premier in China without any problems.

Meanwhile Sony just does it because they know they get free press out of it. The Interview has set off a very disgusting pattern with Sony.

>Interesting how Sup Forums didn't care about the Ancient On

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

The fuck!? Sup Forums lost it's shit about that. They were pissed the Ancient One was turned into a woman and made something other that Tibetan.

Like, half of them were "Making a male character of power into a woman" and complaining that SJW's were trying to censor him because stereotypes of old ancient master though, but the other half were genuine being angry they weren't going to see the guy realized on film after all this time.

Point is, when she got announced, nobody was happy. But I guess you're just going to slide back into the default of whatever word to point out how oppressed ____ is today fits rather than accept that nerds just fucking hate it when you transform characters who they've been waiting decades to see on the big screen into someone else for money.

So basically the MCU sided with the oppressors in order to make a buck. Well, fuck them.

>USA sided with the oppressors in order to make a buck
NEWS AT 11

& tomorrow you'll read an article on CBA about how Marvel is the champions of diversity while DC are Trump Supporting nazis.

The whole of USA? Including that nice guy from Toledo, OH?

>Basically what I'm saying is, the people complaining about MJ's casting are hypocrites,

Sure.

I mean, unless they complained in both cases, you mean. Because of the "1-2"(nice try by the way), sure was a whole lot of complaining in there, and in every single subsequent Strange thread afterwards. Seriously, not ONE Strange thread I've seen where they didn't bring it up and bitch about it.

You know what would be hypocritical? If the ones defending MJ in those threads and claiming 'her race isn't important' had a problem with this. But I'm sure you're equally pissed about both, right user?

How revealing.

I wouldn't say lost their shit but there was more than 1 or 2 like said.
That said there was barely any for when 12 year Slave was cast as Baron Mordo.
Then there's the whole Netflix getting passes everywhere.
There were also a shit ton of threads when Woodley was rumored to be MJ, everyone called her ugly and she got uncasted.
Poor Shay.

desuarchive.org/co/search/text/strange/type/op/start/2016-04-10/end/2016-04-30/
Oh wow, look at all those threads in reaction to the Ancient One casting. Now look at the threads (just today!), in response to the MJ casting.

desuarchive.org/co/search/text/tilda/start/2016-04-10/end/2016-04-30/
Oh wow, look at all those posts complaining about the casting! That's SO much in comparison to the reaction to the MJ casting.

I was about to post "Why does this chick look like Tilda Swinton?"...then put my cursor over the filename...

Build that Waller movie franchise. More Sqwad.

Warner Bros/DC had brains a "Make Gotham Laugh Again." Ball cap would be in order.

He's the WORST of 'em!! I know his family. They're all rats.

ESPECIALLY that one.

Damn, I've let him take my kids to school!

Why do you fucking care so much?

That and Benny Cabbage patch

Marvel going full Xenophile.

They don't have a choice, its not just this one film that would be at risk.
In 1997 China banned ALL Disney films for 10 fucking years when Seven Years in Tibet came out, and Brad Pitt & the director were banned from every entering China.
Loosing the Chinese market for all their films would be a company crippling loss even for Disney.

>There were also a shit ton of threads when Woodley was rumored to be MJ, everyone called her ugly and she got uncasted.
She isn't ugly, she just isn't supermodel perfection which MJ is suppose to be in story.
That is something they got wrong with Dunset also.

>Grumble Grumble, Harry Potter play has a black Hermione

play is a pretty bad fanfic that really does nothing with her and shows that she's only important when she screws Ron

And now we roll on to the next
"controversy".

You also have to factor in the 'popularity' of characters. Normies and Sup Forums have heard of Mary Jane, while fucking nobody knows of the ancient one.

Of course the iconic character gets more controversy because they're known by everyone.

But Wong will still be Chinese right?

i cared, but Ancient One is also a literally who and Mary Jane is Mary Jane

>Supermodel perfection
To be fair that's a very subjective, since there are a lot of supermodels out there that don't quite come across as perfection.
Especially when they're in down time mode.

white power user.. white power

Be Wong to be White.

>In 1997
1997 was 19 years ago...

>Brad Pitt & the director were banned from every entering China.
Well done, the movie was so stupid.

>people care more about a Spider-Man casting choice than a Dr. Strange casting choice
What a mystery

choosing to go along with it so you don't get crippled is still siding with the opressor

Didn't mean to quote

No its saving thousands of jobs and lives you fucking cocksucker.

If Wong being white is wrong, then I don't want Wong to be White.

>Orson Welles
>not Vincent Price
You dun goofed

and Two Wongs wouldn't me right.

Because bowing down to the whims of tyrannical governments never backfires!

Not necessarily. It isn't the best thing to do, but by being honest with the reasons for the change they at least bring into focus the inequities that China enforces in its non-recognition of Tibet.

Speaking of, I haven't seen much Free Tibet stuff in the past few years. Where has all the support for it gone?

though it is infesting their nations with western culture. Subversion that don't detect.

Subversion only works if you are willing and succeed in getting the message across, not if you self censor in order to appease them.

>Put in the most obvious thing that will draw attention
>They focus on that and miss the overall message the film communicates.

It literally makes no difference to the lives of those that the tyrannical government oppresses. You showed something the Chinese government doesn't like, now your movie is banned in China to the benefit of no one and the accomplishment of nothing, well done! Maybe someone will give you a pat on the back on Twitter, won't that be nice?

Yeah, that Tibet doesn't exist.

If doing something is the same as not doing it, what do the chinese care whether you do it or not?

The reality has sunken in that Tibet will never be freed without some kind of internal rebellion or regime change or what have you, and that the movement is thus pointless.

I made the post in response to everyone saying that Sup Forums was totally upset about the Ancient One being whitewashed, when, looking through the archives, there's only very, very few people who were upset about it. Like, what do they gain by lying?

Liberals are now internationalists who want to dissolve all borders and have a 1 world government. Splitting up nations goes counter to that.

You completely missed the point. It doesn't change the reality of Chinese-occupied Tibet or suicide nets or anything else that's fucked up in China, because the CPC will never allow it to -- it's just a movie that they'll ban because it shows something that's unpopular or potentially subversive. You're just making yourself poorer for a moral stand that will never impact anything. If you actually cared, you would try to use the additional hundreds of millions in profit from the Chinese market to help the Tibetan independence movement or something.

It's not "doing something is the same as not doing it", it's that you're throwing pebbles at a steel wall and expecting the wall to shatter. Stop wasting your time throwing pebbles to no one's benefit and go make some money to bulldoze it instead.

The fact is people might be upset about actor choices being motivated by social agendas,but this is because social agendas are prsonal. Here with the Ancient One, it is a POLITICAL problem. And a political problem linked to financials to boot. Most Anons understand that politics and money, combined, is far less flexible that social agendas. That you can protest all you want, you can't win against the Communist Party or the All-Mighty-Dollar.

The Ancient One is bad, but we understand it is out of Marvel's hands. Disney is not yet powerful enough to fight China, they only recently started a Disneyland there.

As a Liberal I don't want a single world government. So, time for you to rethink some things..

What? Strange was always white. He is a white american doctor.

Unless your xenophobic comment is about not hiring an american.

Cummabunch is many things, one of them being white.

>out of Marvel's hands
b-but I thought Marvel Studios are still independently ran (like Pixar)...