Where were you when original animation died?

Where were you when original animation died?

I was in a lot of places in 2006. Why do you ask?

Everything will be daijobu.

>user starts KINO AND THE TWO STRINGS thread
>movie tanks
At least nobody can take our RT score away.

Where were you when you didn't know

You have to admire an animated movie with the balls to kill a child's parents, on-screen, right in his fucking face.

All will be well.

what the fuck
even box trolls broke even
how did this not become a hit?

I was playing TMNT at an arcade back in 1998

>Sausage Party has so far made almost four times its budget
I don't fucking understand.

Guys itll be allright, the head Laika dudes dad is a billionaire, they can throw around 60M without even looking.

user, I think you do understand and are simply in denial to avoid the harsh reality of things.

i feel so guilty for not seeing it opening weekend
fuck i'm gonna see it tomorrow and drag all my friends on at all costs

it didn't have much marketing

>stop-motion animation is only being kept alive because it's some rich guy's quixotic obsession
>it's not catching on despite his efforts

Maybe it's time to give up on this medium.

that's pretty cool, i thought a rich guy spending their money for cool animated shit was fantasy
its still not a good thing user, everything they've made
i remember it had a commercial 8 months prior
on cartoon network. but wow
fuck i'm so sad i can't even sleep

did this movie get a world release or will it get one?
i couldn't imagine the Chinese market saving this movie like they did for Warcraft since its based off Japanese stuff

but i wonder what European and Japanese markets could do for it

China hates Japan though.

It was literally only released on Friday.

I took my son to watch this and we both loved it. Sold out theatre in Del Amo. Cried a bit when he said he liked the movie and he then started crying saying he doesn't want me or mom to die.

This. Though it would have been nice for it to have made 30mil.

reread the post user

i know that son's feeling all too well

it's not out in asia yet i think, atkeast not in malaysia
opens this thursday

The movie was gorgeous. At times funny, other times dark. It was a myth, but perfectly grounded in themes of grief and loss, acceptance and redemption. I liked that it was Japanese, but in no particular time or location.

It's only been out for a weekend.

>but this kinda means they're gonna stop making these kinds of movies

Except Laika's entirely independently financed and they're already talking up the next two or three projects.

it made a little over a 1/6th of its budget
and i'm not sure if that budget includes advertising
opening weekend kinda sets the tone, but seeing how its critically acclaimed i'm sure it'll do fine in the coming weeks
even the BFG broke even eventually (but barely, probably not even enough to cover advertising)
and Pete's Dragon is getting their after it's 2nd week

but this kinda means they're gonna stop making these kinds of movies

maybe its just the medium, the movie theater scene is only being kept alive by superhero movies and nostalgia wank

Don't forget the occasional arthouse movie that "defines the voice of a generation"

I'm fine, everything is fine.

Certainly not in cinema because it only released in the US.

Nobody even knows this film exists, user.

Nike can make back $60mil in a slow week, it's fine.

This movie was bad, the pacing was bad, the sound production was off a lot, the writing was really cheesy, the voice acting felt distant and unmotivated, but the art direction was amazing - not enough to save the film.

I want to defend this film because I love the way they made it but the story is just awful.

>I want to defend this film because I love the way they made it but the story is just awful

Beat the amnesia thing to death and didn't stop.

What's so bold or new about that? Anime has done it plenty of times. It's american'ts that are pussies.

>Anime
>As a standard
Lmaoo

I've been hearing commercials for it with my TV in the background for several months