THE NAZIS ARE COMING

Poor Gillen has to kickstart the next Uber volume.

and Alan Moore likes it

>“Situating the superhuman in its only credible real-life context, UBER gives us an appallingly logical and brilliantly-imagined world where the Third Reich’s science lived up to its rhetoric. In a carefully-realized geopolitical landscape, the giant names of the Second World War act out their revised destinies to jaw-dropping and spectacular effect, with Kieron Gillen right at the top of his dazzling form and his artistic collaborators expertly embellishing the vast historical canvas he’s prepared for them. Making fifteen-foot-tall invulnerable monsters with reality-warping psychic abilities seem as acceptable and grimly inevitable in its alternate timeline as nuclear weapons came to seem in ours, UBER is simply the most compelling, addictive and ambitious ongoing comic-book series that I have seen in years. Unless you happen to be made of vapour, it will grip you and refuse to let you go.”

kickstarter.com/projects/avatarpress/uber-invasion

Uber's good shit.

>inb4 avatar is nothing but edgy trash

i kinda like this idea of just kickstarting minis desu. cutting out the middleman but i dunno how much there are in savings.

Uber is bad and it's fans should feel bad.

>Expertly, realistically crafted alternate timeline of world war 2
>People with super powers

I like the comic and all, but that's blowing smoke up our asses.

It's like saying a scenario where in the civil war the north employed steam exosuits and the south enslaved witch doctors to use their voodoo magic, but this is somehow accurate and realistic with the given ridiculous concepts.

Why the fuck are they Kickstarting it? And through a publisher, nonetheless. Surely Gillen has enough money from WicDiv?

What is happening at avatar press ?

>There will never be Italian battleship class

They've cut almost everything that should have been books and stuck them in a Podunk anthology "curated" by Moore.

Mercury Heat is ending, Crossed is ending, Providence is ending.

I think it's the end times. Or a huge reshuffling.

>Italian battleship goes to Africa
>gets speared

This appears to be sponsored by Avatar Press, not Gillen trying to solo publish. They do not need this money. I have no comprehension of why this requires a kickstarter.

Is Avatar Press dying? I get why they kickstarted Cinema Purgatorio, but why would they kickstart a regular book? Can't they bankroll it themselves?
Are they profiting by skipping over the retailers and selling directly to consumers? This may make financial sense for small enough books.

What the hell is this even for?

They say that they're already 4 issues deep into production and working on #5 and that Avatar is committed to putting out the full series. Is this just a lazy scam to get free money?

I think they're trying to wade in the tide until they can capitalize on Providence and Crossed Omnibuses. Which you know they would do.

>yfw Super Patton single handedly defeats the entire invasion

>Is this just a lazy scam to get free money?
It certainly looks like it. There's no communication, at least on the kickstarter page, as to why they need an extra 10k for the book. I can only presume it's just going straight into Gillen's pocket, it's just not enough money to make any kind of significant impact on the book itself.

Why should Moore and Ennis feel bad?

How is Cinema Purgatorio even selling?
I mean, is it worth not having 4 more books on the stands?

I get the impression that Crossed is the only series that really brings in the crowds. What's stopping them from whoring it out right now? Badlands is already over.

Ennis has one more mini to do.
They announced it ages ago and I think it'll be solicited for December or January.

After that you can bet your ass it'll be "Garth Ennis' Crossed Vol. 1"

Well yeah, but I mean, they'll have to get through 100 issues of Badlands, plus the various minis and specials, before they reach Once a Warrior King. That's a year of omnibuses, at the very least. Nothing stopping them from starting right now, other than budget concerns, I guess.

>"Situating the superhuman in its only credible real-life context, UBER gives us an appallingly logical and brilliantly-imagined world where the Third Reich’s science lived up to its rhetoric. In a carefully-realized geopolitical landscape, the giant names of the Second World War act out their revised destinies to jaw-dropping and spectacular effect, with Kieron Gillen right at the top of his dazzling form and his artistic collaborators expertly embellishing the vast historical canvas he’s prepared for them. Making fifteen-foot-tall invulnerable monsters with reality-warping psychic abilities seem as acceptable and grimly inevitable in its alternate timeline as nuclear weapons came to seem in ours, UBER is simply the most compelling, addictive and ambitious ongoing comic-book series that I have seen in years. Unless you happen to be made of vapour, it will grip you and refuse to let you go." - Alan Moore

It's depressing how the man has to lower himself to groveling at the feet of C-tier writers, pretending to care about some WW2 alternate history Avatar drivel.

>>“Situating the superhuman in its only credible real-life context

Wouldn't that be sports? They're drugging the shit outta athleths right now and I'm pretty certain that they'd gladly enter a pact with ruinous powers of it'd make them faster as well.

Question how are the Nazi's invading? I'll gladly admit i'm not up to date on Uber but I'm pretty sure the jaws were closing on them how did they asspull this?

Moore will praise anything that isn't straightforward and Big Two capeshit.

>Britain surrendered
>Told the nazis where the US high command was and killed all except for Patton, who is also super.
>Submarine fleet invades East coast

>Britain surrendered
>Told the nazis where the US high command was and killed all except for Patton, who is also super.
Right so they realised this was a bigger money spinner then they first thought so they dropped the original ending and are planning on extending the story into stupididity that sucks.

Slavfu isn't going to appear, is she? It's going to be a full volume of the boring adventures of loser jew hulk being a role model for disappointment.

It's kinda implied that the invasion will inevitably fail as they don't have the numbers to actually occupy America and that once the US army responds they'll be fucked.

So when are we getting a kickstarter for Witch Doctor and Fell's Five?

>needing Kickstarter

Pussies.

>Patton and Maria team up to topple the Soviet Union

But he did use Kickstarter.

Don't be stupid, they'll just pull something stupid out of their arses so we'll have 'OMG Nazis in America's heartland so dramatic!'
If this was "realistic" the Germans would have still surrendered after Hitler died and the supers would be standing around awkwardly until someone gets the idea to use them in reconstruction.
I stopped reading after a bunch of Torchmen in crappy little boats somehow snuck up on and destroyed the entire British Home Fleet.

The invasion doesn't need to win, it just needs to do enough damage to keep America from projecting power across the Atlantic for a few years while the Germans consolidate their hold on Western Europe and deal with Russia.

and take you nazi fan wank with you

Have you even read the comic?

No it's clear from the start Nazis are fucked and doing this just to ruin the Earth for whoever is left. but i agree i buy this book digital bc that

also aliens are gonna destroy everyone in the end

doesn't work when you lose a major portion of your army on a delay tactic. It only worked for Russia because the Germans were idiots

This. It's not like the Germans should even have an army at this point. Assuming all the ubers are running around killing Allied armies what the hell are they garrisoning Europe with, ten year-olds?

>Sending your elite troops on a suicide mission
>Thinking they can hold Europe with literally shit

I kinda want to see that.

What the fuck is Australia doing during all of this shit? You're telling me not a single goddamn kangaroo fucking asshole over there is Battleship Class?

That actually sounds pretty badass user.

When the comic starts the german army was like fifteen dudes who hadn't surrendered yet. They need the asspulls to keep the conflict interesting.

Was Australia still a colony during WWII? I remember them saying that the Brits didn't want any colonials becoming Battleships for fear of rebellions

Alan Moore still reads comics?

>Was Australia still a colony during WWII?
They were a self-governing Dominion, as were Canada, South Africa, New Zealand and Ireland. Even if they were do you really think the guy there was talking about rebellions of white people?
Jesus Christ has anyone actually read this shitty comic Uber and a basic history book?

I actually really like this idea!

>A Basic history book.

Fun fact, the idea of a "Basic history book" is absurd as each country has a different idea of what constitutes as basic history. I have a friend from Poland who came to the US for college and had no idea that there was ever a US Civil War.

I'm guessing Ireland got flattened by the Nazi's in this aswell?

Thinking on it now Is the neutrality even mentioned?

The Germans sent their Elite out in those submarines and attacked into France with the rest of their Ubers.

They do have an army left. An army enough to force Great Britain to surrender.

With Maria forcing the Russians to hold their own territory, the Germans have the breathing space for that.

Even if Russia attacked, without Maria, the firepower of Sieglinde would be enough to defend Germany against any number of lower Ubers.

In my opinion the comic is taking the situation Russia was in during WW2. having to fight a strong, massive enemy who is making fast, hard gains, with only bodies and distance.

The US is now in that situation. The result will be similar to what Russia had in reality. Now it's the US having to grind those German tanks down with mangled bodies.

I don't think Avatar are, financially, in that great a place at the moment OP.

I don't think Crossed makes $$$$ anymore, and the only other two 'big' series I can think of they have right now are Providence and War Stories, both of which I believe have planned ends. Gillen could easy have said "I need X more money" and Avatar have been unable to pay without this, or Avatar may just not be in a position to launch another ongoing with or without Gillen's fee.

It's definitely not expertly, realistically crafted. At the point the comic starts the war had been won on Allied intelligence for a significant period of time.

I mean they made it a plot point for Patton to have superpowers. It's not a serious study of WW2.

It's still pretty well crafted for a "SUPER-NAZIS" book.

Posting some previews

You mean aside from their being Moore and Ennis?

You know this idea is inspiring me to write a short story based around this premise. The idea of a sci-fi mecha North verses a fantasy voodoo South is something I would read.

>the south enslaved witch doctors to use their voodoo magic

That is going to end badly for everyone.

If all they needed to do was wreck America's naval power so they can't get over the ocean it would end sooner. I really think though that due to America not fully empowering the black ubers, that America will get fucked hard and Germany will just go full conquer the world mode

I would donate if I could get a promise that something would actually happen this series.

I'm fond of it but it kind of lags. Gillen could've expedited things somewhat and maybe shown more of what's happening on the pacific front with that time or something I dunno.

As it was Volume 1 is basically a set up for nazi ubers invading America as well as establishing the universe. I feel like some issues were wasted on padding out the hopelessness vibe he was trying to push that could've been better used pushing the plot forward.

>a scenario where in the civil war the north employed steam exosuits and the south enslaved witch doctors to use their voodoo magic,

Any of you fuckers listening? I want to see this shit on the front page of Image's solicits by next year.

I think it helps them gauge how big of print runs to make for one. For two, it acts as hype, as getting eyeballs on anything that isn't the biggest of the big two is hard.

I don't know, the US should be outproducing the Germans in uber numbers and quality by now. With a bigger population and the test they should have more battleships in the making and not just three.

He likes a lot of Gillen's stuff actually. I think he even praised Young Avengers, I know he did Wicked/Divine

maybe he expected to get more issues but now he's cutting to the fat

>implying i'm not working on it

the problem is the south is a bunch of moron white people, they wouldn't use black people stuff

>122
>Supporters
>12.263 $
>of 9.100 $
Nice to see it financed already.
Was that really necessary, though?

In order to make his storyline work, Gillen's Germans are incapable of making a mistake and the Allies can't do anything right.

Also, Gillen talks about economic reality -- and then ignores it. For example, Japan and Germany should be in the throws of massive starvation and no amount of super-soldiers should be able to stop that.

Well I'm glad they're finally making it

Somebody should report this shit because it seems really fishy. The book is already damn near done this just seems like they wanted a cash bonus for seeing it through and Avatar decided to kickstart it from the fans rather than just pay up out of pocket.

How intertwined are Avatar & Boundless?
If Avatar crashes will Boundless follow?

Any news on when Belladonna & Ember are going to continue?

The series stopped trying to be an alternate history when Guderian and Speer stopped acting like Guderian and Speer and became warmongers.

I guess it doesn't sell that great so they want to get to the USA USA stuff as the actual US is the main comics market.
So we have the UK surrendering because a tower is built so high that lasers can travel 90 miles and burn 1/20000th of the country and somehow that's it the Brits are instantly cowards and immediately betray the Americans.

Oh and also throw in cool shit like superman Patton and Turing.

It could have been great if it weren't for the fact Gillen doesn't have the balls to tread the more controversial stuff.

Most of the heroes and anti-heroes are gringo minorities because he got scared of some idiots calling him pro-nazi

but this is flat out stated.

The point of the comic is the Germans extending the conflict by waging uber guerrilla warfare - they got nothing else but them, yet the allies can't get rid of them. This leads to a psuedo stalemate where they can't occupy the territories yet the germans are under all intents and purposes defeated

Everyone knowing just how fucked up the entire ordeal is is an actual plot point.

it would certainly cause mass panic given that the gringos would think they have two fronts

but at this point the germans are better off just suing for peace. Otherwise they risk losing ubers, the only thing keeping the state alive.

>fantastic realism does not exist

both sides of the war fielded Black Regiments with white officers.

You're better off enlisting the KKK using more typical magic methinks.

Not like the north liked black people any better they just had their infrastructure and economy set up so they could play moral highground over the south's agrarian slave based economy with their factories and horrible exploitative work practices.

I mean I'm not saying the south wasn't full of stupid racist fucks and that slavery isn't awful but people tend to forget the union were assholes too.

The South wins the war and expands on the North
but unbeknownst to anyone the Voodoo generals switch souls with the Southern heads of state.

South had better generals by far. Besides Grant and Sherman the Union had no one worth talkin about.

Fuck Lee could have probably taken the War to DC if he wanted to, but he wasn't about to pull another Morgan's raid.

Somebody fund this idea!

>fantastic realism does not exist
I'm fairly certain fantastic realism doesn't refer to actual fucking explicit super powers. Unless the term has drifted a bit over the last few years, it takes more than "this is gritty and it JUST MAKES SENSE" to make a story fantastic realism.

fund it

>Fucked up Ordeal
>Ubers take out Britain in like 3 days because Magical girl Siglinde can shoot a laserbeam from the coast of france to hit dover.

never mind Germany seems to be ably to pull standard tankmen out of their ass yet Britain suddenly loses ALL of theirs.

The civil war in general was largely a fight between powerful northern industrialist millionaires and powerful southern plantation millionaires, one group was using the masses of poor workers to outvote and assume greater power than the other

The other, having a large population of workers who were not legally citizens but property and fearing the power of the North which had already strongarmed them on trade and was now increasingly giving voice to abolitionists who would do away with cheap slave labor chose to attempt to break away into a country of their own where they would have absolute power

Then hundreds of thousands of peasants and slaves died in the ensuing fighting for the rich over power, and 150 years later the narrative has been crafted to justify the war as more of a fight over the immorality of slavery rather than a battle for power and resources between the super-rich. The fact that Northerners were conscripted into this fight is generally glossed over as are the bits about how Grant's primary strategy to defeat Lee's superior tactics was simply the "waves and waves of men" Russian/Chinese strategy which saw the North have a very shitty K/D ratio.

And rarely mentioned is that in the ensuing years the plantation owners who were defeated eventually re-assumed control of the South and Southern legislatures with the help of paramilitary organizations like the KKK.

In the modern era the focus is never on the excesses of the super rich but instead is used as an issue to shit on the average white Southerner descended from the common soldiers who never owned slaves as part of modern political bickering.

anybody else disappointed hitler went out like a bitch and didn't become a battleship duking it out with an atomic powered FDR or whatever

I've seen it used as a synonym for internal consistency within the work itself, generally when idiots pull "It's not scientifically plausible so it's not valid" or it's opposite "it's magic I ain't gotta explain shit" when talking about the plausibility of fantasy scenarios/plot points

>Italian battleship goes to battle
>he retreats without killing a single enemy

Britain's excuse to surrender was because they were about to reach crisis levels of resource shortage

>ossed over as are the bits about how Grant's primary strategy to defeat Lee's superior tactics was simply the "waves and waves of men" Russian/Chinese strategy which saw the North have a very shitty K/D ratio.

well also it was halfway through the war before Grant took over and actually made progress.

south won the post-reconstruction cultural war tho like a motherfucker

>Britain about to reach crisis levels of resource shortage

>But Germany is not

Where is the logic in this exactly? If Ubers can basically run on nothing, why are Britain not creating more Ubers?

One of the greatest things Britain ever did in WW2 is resource management, directly opposite the Germans who spent resources so poorly.

I mean it's not like the German ubers were attacking shipping routes.

They shot a laserbeam at dover.

The logic being that by the time Britain surrendered Hitler already made the Germans destroy their country and is practically starved their citizens to death - even if it's not mentioned by the date the comic started the Germans had no infrastructure left and that meant no foodstuff to produce - so by 1946 they would be facing an inevitable food crisis.

The war being extended well beyond the point it's beneficial for anyone, and with every continental power defeated or being german friendly - meaning no vital resources were coming in except from trade with the new world (which is a thing that happened rl and my country got some sweet bux for it during both world wars) which, judging from the fact that all the news they'd get from the fronts are "the fascists have conquered all Europe except swissland and are currently sieging britain", wouldn't be too willing to trade with the brits.

The British govt simply wasn't willing to risk (or better said, worsen) the food crisis prolonged conflict was about to create.

The resource crisis the brits had was stated iirc. The rest can simply be deduced from statements by both sides and seeing how pretty much all german infrastructure is rubble.

pls gib sauce

My mistake, I was thinking of Magical Realism. Maybe that's what the other person meant too, or perhaps it's just that fantastical realism is a term people use that superficially looks like magical realism but is its own thing.

>Have you even read the comic?

Yes, twice.

It's PAINFUL Nazi fan wank, that's even worse informed by the very worst anti-American revisionism.

>"Everybody knows the Soviets totally won WW2."

No, really not. At the end of WW2, ie, the timeframe of this idiocy, the US had already slacked off on war production. We still ended the war with over a hundred and fifty aircraft carriers.

Yes, that's right. A hundred and fifty aircraft carriers. Not to mention all the bombers, all the fighters, all the tanks, all the guns, all the trucks, all the petrol, all the cargo ships, all the food, etc, etc, etc.

This book handwaves all that with 'Ubers undid it all!"

Never mind that the US has Ubers too, and a population four times as large to draw from.

Oh, not to mention the magic negroes are obviously being set up to save the day, working on the sage guidance of the Angelic Faggot, all under the guidance of the Holy Waifu, She who is so badass she kills Ubers despite being nobody special.

How can anybody like this wretched mass of plotholes is beyond me.

let's talk powers!

has anybody heard anything from the writer about the idea that prime numbers of activations are 'better' somehow?

maria, for example, might not be a standard 12/12 battleship, but like a 7/17. Both prime numbers, so she almost as strong physically as a battleship but way stronger at range than one?

>using "we" and "the USA" interchangeably
>calling gasoline "petrol"

Suspicions raised...

I love Gillen. I think he's as good as Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison or Garth Ennis

Shame he's not popular because of the great reddit hivemind

Needs more nazi tits

Say you really liked this comic. What are some recommendations for what to read next?