I hate my life and I think it's time to change it

Long story short I've just finished 2 years of my 3,5 year Comp Sci studies and I hate my life. It's something I "like" but not something that would make me happy, I have no will to learn and I'm constantly depressed.

I've always wanted to be an artist and art is my passion. I love animation and I want to try myself in that.

So Sup Forums - any recommendation for a good university/tips on where to start? I'm not looking for anything in US or anything too pricey, but I can work for a year or so to save some money. Country doesn't matter.

Comics and cartoons.

Well I wrote this thread here 'cause working on cartoons is one of options I'd really like to try.

No idea but good luck KiKi a best

Nice blog post, pham.

I wouldn't go to college for that. If you have any talent at all, try to learn by yourself and then try to attend as many industry events as possible (whatever your arts industry of chouse may be).

Do that parallel to your CS studies. It's just one and half years you have to go on, buddy. Push through and balance the stress out with doing something you have a passion for but that will only get you ANY money with low probability.

You should absolutely read "The Animator's Survival Kit". You'll learn more from that than you will 2 years at an animation school.

according to Sup Forums all you need is a Calarts degree and the big companies will buy any shit you animate.

If you're a beginner, art school isn't going to get you anywhere. You need to self study for a few years before you go to school (if that's what you want to do). There are plenty of accomplished artists and animators who never went to art school. All they did was work hard at it, spend years honing their craft, and market theirselves.

The thing is my creativity is non-existing during studies and we have so much work I have no time for myself or any kind of job. It is just 1,5 year, but I still have some modules I need to pass so it can be longer. I'm just really really tired and I want to be happy for once in my life.

I draw since I was like 12 years old, I'm not good but I'm not bad either. I try to animate in my free time but that's not enough. That's why I'm trying to figure out what to do to change the way I live now.

Maybe you should just get into a career that lets you be creative buy makes use of other talents, like graphic design. Then find a comfortable job in that field all while working on your art. You might be expected to do some illustration work now and then, and if you get into web design small animations can be popular.

The main point is that it might be a field that you feel more comfortable in and allows more creativity. It also makes it easier to keep working on your art and animation on the side. If that gets somewhere, cool, but there are not many places it could get you and you'd have to be really lucky and talented.

>TFW you will never be as good an artist as Ilya Kuvshinov

There will always be in life some parts we don't like. Even inside something that we love, there will be things that are a pain to learn. If you're just lazy to learn computer science, something you said you liked, you will also be lazy to learn animation, or at least some aspects of it, and your work will always be lacking.

Basically: no pain, no gain.

1. Learn to draw.

2. Move to Canada.

Do you have a portfolio? Art schools want someone with talent and practice who needs training.

There is no state of being called happy. There is contentedness, and there are moments of happiness, but you can't just be happy all the time. That's not a thing. Also, work will ruin your passions.

I understand where you're coming from but if you want to pursue your passion like that set up a safety net first.

There is difference between being lazy and ending up not liking what you're studying. I work hard but I just came to realisation that even if most of things (but not programming) are kinda okayish I just don't want to do this shit for a living. It's nice to have this knowledge but I don't want to spend my life doing things related to Comp Sci. Also no pain, no gain is obvious. But I don;t want to spend my life doing something I don't really like and being depressed, just like I'm now, no matter how hard I work on it.

I'm working on a portfolio. Comp Sci was supposed to be my safety net, something I moderately like and know and can work in this field till I'll be good enough to live on art only. But it's driving me crazy, I hate what I study, I hate people who I study with and I have no will to study and force myself to do so. I just don't know how long I'll be able to live like that...

I got the first one, now say pal where exactly in Canada should I go?

what's in canada?

While I applaud you for trying to do what you love, it may be the case that your depression isn't directly related to your job.