Can someone explain to me how I can tell the difference between Barry Allen and Wally West by looking at their red...

Can someone explain to me how I can tell the difference between Barry Allen and Wally West by looking at their red costumes? I tried to figure it out myself by assuming Wally never has eye holes or maybe different belt shapes or something but I'm assuming over the years, they've also gotten updated designs and I'm not sure whether those signature traits stayed with them.

Wally is more darker.

What complicates things is that Wally wore Barry's costume for a bit then he got a couple of his own. If the Flash has lenses it's Wally for sure but he had a few suits without them too and sometimes his eyes got colored blue so that's not a guarantee either even with open eyes. Generally Wally's costume has the V lightning at the waist and doesn't have wings on the boots, at least pre-Flashpoint (post-Flashpoint I think Barry has adopted both of these quirks but his suit has a bunch of lines on it and Wally's is different enough that you shouldn't mix them up anymore).

Mainly you just read the comic to find out if you don't know the year of publication (though there were some flashback stories with Barry too so even just the year isn't foolproof).

That was one of the things bothering me. I assumed Wally was the only one with a V belt but then I remembered Barry had the V belt in New 52.

they've taken everything from wally in order to make barry not fucking terrible in recent years, that includes his costume traits, barry has wally's non wingtip boots and lightning belt pointing downward to his cock.

Bart stole it first when he became the Flash, it's just the modern costume in general

>If the Flash has lenses it's Wally for sure
This one had lenses and this is Barry isn't it?

forgot to include pic.

true forgot about that shitty DCYou costume, white lenses is Wally for sure not counting like Walter West and maybe John Fox but their looks are significantly different enough

>OP asks about Barry
>Posts a picture that doesn't even have Barry

Thawne plz go

Barry has blue eyes, Wally has green eyes.

Why was Wally West in a yellow suit for DC Rebirth? Was he in a yellow costume pre-flashpoint?

Wally had blue eyes in his own book until like Waid-ish. That's not really a good way to tell.

That was his Kid Flash costume. Read the issue again, he mentions why that's weird.

Shh

OP, just read Flash V2 and you'll get to know Wally and how to tell the difference between him and Barry.
Some user storytime'd like 2/5 of it few months ago, just look it up in the archives.

Because Johns can't have anyone but Barry wearing the flash suit

Wally West had a costume just like The Flash (Barry) when he first became Kid Flash, then he got that costume in your pic.
When Barry died he started wearing the red costume, and when he lost that little thingy that would make them costumes, he asked for his science friends to make a new one that is the shiny one with white lens.

Did they explain why Wally has white lightning now instead of yellow? or did they just decide to do it to make it easier.

Wally is black

God Booth is so bad on art

Nice quads though

>Wallyfags crying

And all is normal.

Bet you're a Barryfag that enjoys new Barry with Wally's personality

>Wally's personality
I see you're a Wallyfag that's read little to nothing about Wally. Which makes you the worst kind of Wallyfag.

Wally's lightning obviously has special properties with the memory stuff and all but it hasn't been fully explained yet.

No, Wally is black not Wally. Wally is white.

It's very simple.

It used to be the belt and the wingtips on the boots until the New 52 where they just gave Barry Wally's suit with lines.

So basically, here's how you do it: Are there wingtips on the boots? If yes it's Barry. If no, are there lines everywhere? It's Barry. If not, it's Wally.

The easier way is just when you're reading they'll usually refer to them as Wally or Barry.

Hey, non-comic reader here...
>DCAU Wally = Funny Guy

He's basically New 52 rebooted Wally who never became Flash (because Barry never died). He was gone because of Abra Kadabra -- who apparently did it while Wally was still Kid Flash/A Teen Titan in this universe. Being gone is what made him remember when he was The Flash.

So basically he's new 52/rebooted Wally with pre-flashpoint memories.

His left leg is fucked

They did it because they want him to look different from Barry.

They are going to write a reason into the story as for why it is that way, but the real reason is because Barry is the one who gets to look like "The Flash." Wally gets to look like whatever that is.

Right leg* shit

Welcome to Brett Booth.

Depends on how you think about it, he's physically in a new 52 body but I think his pre-Flashpoint essence is what existed before that body solidified and was granted a 52 history that included Kadabra's fuckery.

Hey, non-comic reader here...
>DCAU Wally = Funny Guy
>DCEU Barry = Funny Guy

What's the difference?

I mean, they confirmed this is the same universe. Aside from the weird Superman/Lois Lane situation everyone is their "original" selves, just altered by Manhattan. Wally is his original self, altered by Manhattan. Through the power of the Speed Force he has memories that survived the alteration.

>I see you're a Wallyfag that's read little to nothing about Wally
I've read from Baron to Waid, the fuck you're talking about

I won't go as far as he did but I'm not sure how anyone who actually read any of that could think they put any of Wally's personality in Barry. Wally was basically an asshole, he was lovable but Barry isn't like that at all.

JL Barry is nothing like Barry and everything like Wally, atleast. Johns even specifically ripped off his own scene he did from his Wally run and gave it to Barry.

Flash solo Barry is pretty different until you get to Venditti, where it seems like they tried to mix in TV show Wally for fights with a depressed bitch when he's not in costume.

I guess that would explain it, I haven't read JL at all but I read the solos.

So if the white Wally West is Wally West, then who is the black Wally West? Is it just a coincidence that two different people named Wally West became The Flash? Oh wait, he has a yellow outfit now, so he's Kid Flash. What was his silver costume suppose to be? Wasn't the silver one him as The Flash? If he was The Flash, why did he downgrade to Kid Flash?

The silver costume was from Futures End which may never happen, he only recently got powers

It was always the same universe just altered though, Flashpoint itself was a story about this. That's not a change just because they switched the cause to Manhattan.

But to me it seems like he just wasn't in this version of the timeline (like many characters aren't) until Barry pulled him out and retconned him into their history giving him the Kadabra excuse and all. Same universe doesn't mean all the same people exist, it's still a different reality.

I doubt they'll clarify this at all though since it doesn't really matter. Just kind of chicken and egg thing however you want to interpret it.

Thanks, this works for me.

But the rebirth Retcon says this is the exact universe but with 10 or so years plucked from each heroes lives to "weaken them". So Wally lost the Flash family, Barry lost kid Flash, Wonder Woman lost herself, The Titans forgot each other, The Justice League is a different (worse) line up.

Flashpoint had this as essentially a brand new universe set over the top of the old.

I believe the PC term is "a nigger"

But I play Xbox

How I've always told them apart:

>Silver Age
Barry is tall, Wally is a kid
Then Wally gets his own unique uniform for Kid Flash
>Post COIE
Barry is dead, Wally is alive
First time they cross over, Wally has cool white eye things and Barry doesn't
When both eyes are showing, Wally gets green eyes and Barry blue
>Post flashpoint
Wally gets an open cowl.

I usually hear fans say that Wally West is their Flash. Does this mean that they are pissed off that Barry gets to look like The Flash now? or are they just happy that Wally has returned wearing that ginger fro costume? Also, what is Wally West called now? If Barry is The Flash, and Black Wally West is Kid Flash, does Wally get his own name?

>Wally fans
>happy
They have to deal with Booth, you really think any of them are happy?

I'm saying you don't know what they fuck you're talking about. You're assblasted state has you sputtering out bullshit in a means to alleviate what you're feeling. You'll probably still be bitching years from now because you're an assblasted characterfag who's feeling hurt.

>I usually hear fans say that Wally West is their Flash
That's me.
>. Does this mean that they are pissed off that Barry gets to look like The Flash now
No, there was always multiple Flash's during Wally's run, whether it be time travelling Barry or Jay Garrick having multiple Flash's at once has always been a thing.
> they just happy that Wally has returned wearing that ginger fro costume?
I think the open cowl Flash costume is the best character design going around. It is a homage to his kid flash days, takes what worked really well with his red hair flowing in the open cowl but also brought it into the future with the fact that he is now a Flash.
>Also, what is Wally West called now
The Flash. Both are called the Flash, this was explicitly made clear in Flash Rebirth #1. Again, this is nothing new for the characters.

>They have to deal with Booth, you really think any of them are happy?
Small price to pay. Our character was removed from existence itself, worse still, OVERRIDDEN by an awful character not 4 months ago.

Just having him back, and in a book, is a massive win.

But it's not simply the removed time. He also says that things fell into place to correct for it which makes it a different timeline entirely. "Universe" is just a multiversal vibration pattern. Flashpoint never changed that. It stayed Earth-0 even after it unless you consider Prime Earth an actually separate designation? Because I'm pretty sure they listed both names at times.

>But it's not simply the removed time. He also says that things fell into place to correct for it which makes it a different timeline entirely.
Hang on, you have changed what I said, let's make sure we are talking about the same things. Same universe, changed timeline. So yeah, Manhattan poked holes in time and new stuff fell in the gaps, but it is still the same universe that existed pre Flashpoint. It's not like a COIE happened where actors went back to the point of creation and changed the physical universe.

>Universe vibrational pattern
I'm not sure if they have stuck with that since the 90's user. It's incompatable with things like the Chain Lightning arc. Where Wally was travelling to as a time no longer exists.

Which in itself doesn't make sense since GL and Bats still had all the pre-nu52 shit happen to them in the five years between JL#1 and their #1s for their own books. Still feels like a half assed way of explaining why they half assed a reboot

Wally generally has a nose guard or open hair. His belt isn't fully connected either

Howcome Wally West gets to come back and be called The Flash alongside Barry but characters like Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain come back as Spoiler and Ninja Bitch?

>Which in itself doesn't make sense since GL and Bats still had all the pre-nu52 shit happen to them in the five years between JL#1 and their #1s for their own books. Still feels like a half assed way of explaining why they half assed a reboot
My head canon is that Manhattan didn't take a flat 10 year block, but rather on average each character had 10 years of moments taken away.

So in the GL/Bats case, what Manhattan took away wasn't those core stories, maybe they lost character development moments which make Batman less trusting of others now, making him less of a team player and making him worse overall. Maybe Hal forgot a lot of the stuff that went on with parallax and has forgotten some of the lessons he picked up during GL: Rebirth.

It's a poor excuse, I agree and until Johns tidies it up head canon is about the only thing you can go with.

>When both eyes are showing, Wally gets green eyes and Barry blue

Funny thing about that, I think more often than not Wally was drawn with blue eyes because artists would use Barry as a reference. Waid turned that into a funny little plot point in the last arc of his run.

Nowadays it'll probably always be green since he's 100% got his own look and isn't THE Flash anymore.

I'm fairly certain he was straight up blue eyed through most of the Baron and WML runs, not just an occasional mistake

Universes being separated by vibrations is canon again post-Infinite Crisis/52. Anything that happened in the 90s is different because they didn't have a multiverse at all at the time.

I think the main point where we differ is that you believe Manhattan's inference means that everyone who was around before should more or less still be around now in some altered form while I believe that the timeline changing means that maybe they don't.

>How come Wally West gets to come back and be called The Flash alongside Barry
I don't know enough about the other characters to comment, but regarding Wally:

Wally has just as much claim to the title of the Flash as Barry does, he held the fort down for 20 years and almost all of the best Flash stories are actually Wally stories. His fans worked to make their angry voices heard when he was disrespectfully removed from the universe and even after 5 years were still fuming at DC. Protest long enough and loud enough and you will be heard, anyone could look at the state of Vendetti's Flash, compare it to literally any section of Wallys run and see that the character of the Flash had seriously regressed. Anyone who is a fan of the Flash could look at the current offering and realise that all the lore, relationships and character moments they had grown to love had been erased. DC had to react, they had to bring back Wally, that's why he gets to come back and be the Flash alongside Barry.

>Nowadays it'll probably always be green since he's 100% got his own look and isn't THE Flash anymore.
>I'm fairly certain he was straight up blue eyed through most of the Baron and WML runs, not just an occasional mistake
Yeah he was, but Barry never showed up in those IIRC, not outside of obvious Flashbacks. When they started showing up on the same page often they had already got their own distinctive looks (white eyes and then differing eye colours).

So this Blue Flash is Barry Allen in the future right?

because the Batbooks are broken and still a slave to "there can only be one" mentality

>that you believe Manhattan's inference means that everyone who was around before should more or less still be around now in some altered form while I believe that the timeline changing means that maybe they don't.
Yeah, that's my belief. Unless you are less than 10 years old you must still exist, even if you are massively changed.

People who say that are probably just Wally fans for whatever reason. Some of them probably are mad that Barry gets to be the one who looks like The Flash -- generally for the same reason they're mad that Barry came back and ruined Wally's character and existence.

Wally is called The Flash. Anything else would be stupid, both as a real life statement (admitting Barry's more The Flash than Wally) and in character, as Wally is The Flash. It's a name he earned and something he went through in The Return of Barry Allen.

Someone should post that Mr. Zip page I made ages ago.

I think so but I stopped paying much attention during the Venditti shit

Need to complain louder.

Personally though, I'd be fine with them having their own identities, if Cass's new one didn't suck so much shit.

Yes, but Vendettis run was so poor it will/has been entirely ignored.

>Someone should post that Mr. Zip page I made ages ago.

useful for both DAT LINDA and nickname discussions

Narratively? Because Wally remembers being The Flash so he calls himself The Flash. Cass and Steph don't remember their old days as heroes and have no reason to start trying to take on the Batgirl name. And probably never will, given DC's stupidity.

The thing about Wally is he doesn't really have a name to fall back on. He can't be Kid Flash -- that'd be even stupider than DC could muster. He's just always been The Flash as a superhero. Cass and Steph have Black Bat and Spoiler...though Cass is going by Orphan now which is lame.

>Some of them probably are mad that Barry gets to be the one who looks like The Flash
Honestly I haven't seen this. Most love the Kid Flash / Flash hybrid look. It's not the same as when Barry came back and ruined Wally, Wally exists as his own entity now, not something being overwritten and retconned out of existence by Barry.

Black Bat was fine, I don't know why they went with this Orphan shit

>implying the speed force manifests as one color
>Implying you can explain the speed force
>Implying you have to think about the speed force

There's two things you need to know about the speed Force
1) It's speed
2) It's a force

Anything beyond those two are irrelevant and fanfiction

Wally only had open hair once unless you count ultra recently.

As a Flash? Yeah you are right. Only in Morrisons run with his yellow speed force suit.

In saying that, if you go and read all of the big Wally stories, his cowl always rips and has his red hair hanging out.

Man, I remember when they announced "Wally's" return and everyone was like OH MAN THAT BLUE FLASH IS WALLY AND HE'S MAD.

There was so much hype. Then the most amazing double whammy disappointment ever happened.

They knew what they were doing the dicks.

I think those who have the problem are just a little peeved that, if you look at that costume and aren't a recent comic fan, you won't know it's The Flash. You'll think it's maybe some Flash side character. He looks like a Flash rip off rather than The Flash like he used to to casuals.

The error there is caring what casuals think.

>dose nips
>dat shirt
>dose shorts
>dat hair
>dat underboob
>DAT LINDA
Rebirth can't bring her back soon enough.

>thick, black 'lightning bolts'

I'm not going to complain if DC wants to drive new fans towards Barry for simplicity as well as synergy.

Wally operates best as the offshoot who took up the mantle and did more with it than Barry ever did.

I can understand that Wally and Impulse's origin stories are not straight forward and not new comer friendly, so let them read Barry, learn the lore and then they can come to Speedforce (make it happen Johns) to see Wally and Bart.

>Wally who never became Flash (because Barry never died).
>because Post-crisis Superman, Pre-Crisis Supergirl, Pre-Crisis Barry and Zero Hour Parallax beat the Anti-Monitor
Shit, that didn't occur to me.

>WAL-LEEEE!
>WALHEE HEE HEE--
>HA HA HA HA !

We've seen her a little, I don't mind the short hair

>Booth art though, rip in peace

I don't like it. Never liked Linda with short hair.

>because Barry never died
Has this been shown to have now not happened though?

Not just that, before Convergence Flashpoint "reset" the universe to a point in time where Barry's early in his career. He's younger and hasn't died. This obviously retcons Wally.

No one has mentioned the crisis. It was never a thing. And Barry's way too young. The only time it was shown was when Metron was talking about how the universe has been reset a half dozen times.

That's really the problem with Barry. The second you bring him back he's always going to be in The Flash and Wally's always going to be in whatever B-team book they toss out there that'll never survive and will be cancelled.

This is what happened the original Flash Rebirth, only preemptively. Barry comes back, everyone else is deemed secondary and unimportant.

>No one has mentioned the crisis. It was never a thing
That doesn't logically follow.
>Barry's way too young
Flash's don't age normally and Barry isn't that young.

Flash Rebirth #1 showed silver age Barry Allen killing Thawne with the old neck snap, the trial and capture by the anti-monitor is the next chapter of that story.

>Not just that, before Convergence Flashpoint "reset" the universe to a point in time where Barry's early in his career. He's younger and hasn't died. This obviously retcons Wally.
I think most of them are in their late 20s now. Bats was early 30s, Wondy was meant to be early 20s but then Rucka changed that to super old.

Fuck, I think that's what pisses me off about all these reboots and fixes. They can never nail shit down at first, and then when they start fixing it up they go "WELL BETTER REBOOT IT AGAIN". At least this will run for another five years before they feel the need to do shit to the continuity again

>The second you bring him back he's always going to be in The Flash and Wally's always going to be in whatever B-team book they toss out there that'll never survive and will be cancelled.
There are a lot of spin off characters that have held down their own books. Dick Grayson has a fortnightly solo and I think he is certainly comparable to Wally.

COIE didn't happen in the current character history of everyone but we don't really know know if Wally's new 52 history might not have included some other alternate version of him being the Flash in this timeline like how Dick was Batman even though Final Crisis didn't happen.

Flash Rebirth's visions were explained as the Speed Force trying to get Barry to remember Wally so he could save him. The Speed Force is timeless and multiversal and, as we saw with Wally, clearly capable of giving memories of the previous timeline that was "undone."

The current timeline had ten years erased from it. Part of those ten years is Barry getting together with Iris, going to the future, and then dying in the crisis. The crisis still happened in a weird narrative sense -- it had to to follow the long trail up to Flashpoint. But this current universe, this Barry, has been altered such that he hasn't died. Or atleast no one knows he died in the past universe.

Imagine Wally West in that universe. He just never becomes The Flash. Why would he if Barry's around? He probably goes to college like he was going to and never becomes a full fledged super hero. Never meets Linda, never marries her, never has kids, nothing. That's where this universe's Wally was going before he got disappeared by Kadabra and regained his memories.

Wally and Abra's whole thing is based on his time as Flash and thus the big first plot of Titans.

Batman is such a higher level of popularity that he can support more spinoff books. Flash has literally only ever supported one Spinoff book since the silver age, and that was Impulse, which had a solid run but that's about it.

Comics are less popular now. Flash doesn't sell enough for a spinoff of it to sell well enough to live. I know people are amazed by the current Rebirth sales but in a couple of years it'll go back down to its 30-40k mark, unless some legendary run comes around ala Johns' GL, where it'll be able to support spinoff books...until that legendary run ends, ala Johns' GL.

If Wally West were a Batman character he could support a spinoff. He isn't.

>Flash Rebirth's visions were explained as the Speed Force trying to get Barry to remember Wally so he could save him
I think that was just fan theory. Could you point to where that was said or even implied? It looked like the arrival of Wally caused Barry to regain a bunch of memories, his silver age ending being the big one.

>has been altered such that he hasn't died. Or atleast no one knows he died in the past universe.
These are two very different things though.

>he got disappeared by Kadabra
You are putting to much stake in a last page bait picture. We don't know how much Kadabra played into events.

Kek

>Batman is such a higher level of popularity that he can support more spinoff books
Sure, Batman is massive and can support 14 batbooks or whatever the number is now but I'm not asking for that, just a proportionate number of spinoffs: 1. GL has two books, surely Flash can have two as well. They guy is immensely popular, a household name, successful TV show and upcoming movie.