As it stands, they are currently better than Pixar. Post-2010 Pixar at least

As it stands, they are currently better than Pixar. Post-2010 Pixar at least.

Agree/disagree?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pF_MTFzm27A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Box trolls was pretty weak.

From best to worst
1.Kubo
2.Coraline
3.Paranorman
4.Boxtrolls

R8 h8 masturb8

Yeah, but so was A Bug's Life. There's always one.

Daddy daddy i want more of your nike money for my videos with dolls

Well, what else could they use it for, paying their workers?

They need better writers, their stories are still too weak

What's the point of stop-motion animation when you can make it on computer?

That's pretty flat out the list. I don't see much room for argument here.

What's the point of painting when you can draw on a tablet?

I agree

>You work in clean enviroment
>you don't need buy supply
>you can easly edit everything as you want with no problem

Drawing on tablet has all positives

What's the point of writing on paper when you can type?

Everybody agrees with that. Pixar is pure shit.

Pixar is only seen as good because everything else was garbage for a long time. Pixar is only okay.

Laika's writing is still really weak af. The only well written story is Coraline, and that's an adaption.

What do you suppose he does with it? Buy a bunch of sports cars and hole them up on a huge garage?

See, if that was drawn on a tablet they could have fixed the neck

What's the point of going out side when you can shitpost on Sup Forums.

Let's see your work kido

They're definitely beginning to get the recognition the other big guys are having.

Pixar was never good.

Are we finally at this point now?

But Kubo's writing is great.

Mostly agree save for Kubo, but I just haven't seen it yet and am expecting good things.

Coraline and Paranorman are both pretty close for me, which one is better than the other might change from time to time but I think I like Coraline more.

I kind of think the only one I don't like is Boxtrolls, but I enjoyed the supporting characters and they made the cheese look delicious. Also the post-credits joke was as funny as it was sad.

>Laika
>recognition

HAHAHAHABABABABAHAHAHAHAJAJAHAHAHSBSHAHAGSHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Seriously, nobody knows about laika outside of Sup Forums and the very small coraline fanbase

Kubo is really mediocre.

Name one piece of good storytelling or a plot point that really resonated with you in Kubo. I'll wait.

>post-credits joke

spoil me.

Agreed.

with the exception of Bug's Life this is true

>with the exception of the one no one likes, this contrarian opinion is true

we all know when pixar went downhill

I'm just done with the trend nowadays, what with the exageratted cutesy expressions and animanga eyes, from How To Train Your Dragon to Frozen, to Big Hero 6 and shitz.

Beats me.

This has literally been the "trend" since the beginning of animation.

Sausage Party doesn't have cutesy expressions or animanga eyes

I figured out the true identities of Beatle and Monkey pretty much immediately, and watching them fall in love all over again was very cute.

>I figured out the true identities of Beatle and Monkey pretty much immediately
Isn't this a fault of the movie? Especially when the reveal of Beetle was conveniently shown right before his death in order to just artificially manufacture impact?

Why would it be a fault? I'm an adult, and the movie is made for kids, I'm going to figure some things out faster than them.

And I actually really liked the way they killed Beetle. It was very anticlimactic. The way he promised he would protect Kubo right before, I was expecting him to at least get a fight, but the movie decided not to pull punches. You can die at any time, and you don't really have control over when.

I really thought the movie had a very thoughtful and good approach to death as a whole.

they've got the big eyes, but not quite the anime / manga style

it's some time around HTTYD that it get's really annoying, over the top, exagerrated "oh look i am so cute" expressions, the eyes, mouth, the brows

it gets worse with Jay Baruchel's voice acting

Anime/Manga style is literally derived from early American animation. Both Japan and the US have consistently drawn from each other as influences.

And I dare you to name any part of the, apparently singular, anime style that isn't present in every decade of American animation.

>It's for kids, it doesn't matter that future plot points were obvious as soon as they appear because I'm an adult
This is never a good defense.

>very thoughtful and good approach
and that is that characters can just die at anytime? How is this at all something that the movie was establishing as a major or minor thematic point when Kubo bothered saving his grandfather?

Even professional painters moved on to digital because they know how much more efficient it is.

Nice spoiler tags you fucking dildo.

did we watch the same movie

They literally have to make it more obvious so that kids will be able to connect the dots and enjoy it. Plus, plot twists are a shit crutch anyway. If you enjoy the movie less having known the twist, it's a bad movie.

I don't know if you're being willfully ignorant, but the movie has a whole obviously spent a lot of its time addressing death, and using the philosophy of Shintoism to teach kids about how to deal with it. That people can die at any time is a part of that, but there's a lot more to it in the film.

kek why would I care? If you haven't seen the movie why are you in this thread?

I haven't even seen the film yet and I figured that shit out just from the trailers.
>Your mother made me with her magic!
>Your father brought me to life with his magic!
>Monkey is strict and caring
>Beetle is silly and dumb

It's so fucking blatant you have to be an alien to not see it.

I love Kubo but no it isnt

Literally its own problem is pacing. The writing is fine.

Great pic but not yours. Also no shit it's convenient, it doesn't mean it's better or worse. It's just another medium.

I dunno.
Coraline is fantastic, of course.
Boxtrolls was pretty weak, but the story it's based on isn't that much better.
On original stories they're two for two, with bot Paranorman and Kubo being amazing.
Pixar since 2010 has had some pretty big hiccups, fair enough, but they've brought some good concepts that were indeed fun.
That said, they've never had a real solid concept in a film save for Incredibles, WALL-E, and Up. Their stories are imaginative to be sure but their core concepts leave unanswered questions that seem less like mysteries and more like plot holes, and can really take one out of the film.
Laika has rarely had these errors, and if they happen they do well to at least dress them up like it's supposed to be mysterious or up to our interpretation.
Overall, Laika at its age had done better things than Pixar did at the same age, without pushing the 'marvel of computer animation'.

Convenience and efficiency instantly makes something better for the person actually working with the tools.

Unless you think a dish washer is no better or worse than washing it in the sink, "they're just different tools".

Well Inside Out is the only good movie Pixar has made since Coraline's release so yes obviously.

I must be an alien then because beetle being the father took me for a ride to be sure.
That said, I'm not sure you saw the movie, because at no point is it said or even implied that Beetle thinks the father changed him with magic. Beetle simply believes he was a part of the same clan as Kubo's father.
Also,
>Strict and caring = Mom
>Silly and Dumb= Dad
Do you exclusively watch generic family sitcoms?

-No original to sell.

>adaption
Yeah, they should hire you, Shakspire.

But Boxtrolls was fucking terrible.

Not just bad, I mean fucking awful. Cringeworthy as all hell and the only memorable bits were the masochist little girl and the villain cross dressing and singing.

Thematic consistency with enough followthrough to actually kill characters without a happy twist.

Proper foreshadowing without beating the audience over the head.

Themes and mechanics of the world are mostly implicit, yet clearly expressed.

It's flawed, sure, but the writing isn't bad by any means.

Paranorman and Box Trolls are really forgettable. I don't care what Sup Forums says about Paranorman.

Agreed, Pixar's been coasting for far too long while Laika continues to deliver.

It's revealed at that point in case you're a child or too stupid to realize that the male amnesiac that bickers with the mother like a husband is Juno's dad.

youtube.com/watch?v=pF_MTFzm27A

>Juno

Autocorrect.
Phones are shit.

I agree with you there. For me Coraline and Kubo are pretty close though, might need to give the former a rewatch. It's interesting that a lot of people consider Paranorman their favorite though, really all of them seem beloved except Boxtrolls.

The most memorable thing was that giant puppet that broke a guiness world record for "most elaborate stop-motion prop"..

I honestly had no idea these were all made by the same people, I watched Paranorman and saw tons of advertising for Kubo but then again I think I stopped paying attention to who were behind movies years ago.

They've certainly come a long way since their pre-Nike days.

See user, there's a certain charm to things done by hand and the hard way that is. There's a some details that can only be made by hands: the details, the colours and the LOVE that was versed in that work.
I mean would the original works of Picasso or michael Angelo be as important if they were done by tablet .
Would a an ebook be more valuable than a real book ?
Would kubo be more beautiful if it was animated using computer?
Of course not

All of Laika's ideas are great and the animation is awesome. However, Coraline is the only one I can watch on repeat. The rest of the movie's scripts are poor in comparison or it's either the direction, or a mix of both. They just really need Henry Selik to direct for them again.That will help their movies tremendously.

Selik can't seem to get anything off the ground these days ever since that Disney deal fell through.

Bug's Life is dope as fuck, all of the movies OP posted are terrible

Disagree. Pixar is more consistently good and besides, you're comparing 4 movies. Now pit Laika versus Dreamworks and it's much more debatable.

You can make a case for Coraline in the top spot, but honestly, given how different the narratives are, it is also easy to take them in some form of tie.