I'm a big fan of manga and i'm looking to get into comics as well...

i'm a big fan of manga and i'm looking to get into comics as well. i haven't watched many superhero movies but i'm a big fan of the batman series. since i'm new, i'm more interested in graphic novels so that i can read a self-contained story without having to scramble all over the place.

would the killing joke be a good start? i'm thinking of either picking it or watchmen as my first... any thoughts? which graphic novels would you recommend for someone who is new to comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Sup
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck that, Bat-fags are cancerous. Well i mean all fans are disgusting to a point. If you insist on reading cape-shit, read The New Mutants by Chris Claremont, All Star Super Man by Grant Morrison. If you insist on Batman read Batman : Year One, Batman : Long Halloween and the court of owls.

Don't start with The Killing Joke. Even Moore thinks that thing is overrated, it's far from one of his greater works.

Before people get booty blasted (probably too late as I type this), in comics "graphic novel" technically refers to a volume published all at once. Watchmen doesn't count as one because it was published in floppies first. However casually book retailers and even Diamond (the comic distribution company for local comic shops) refers to all bounded material as "graphic novels" so it's an easy mistake to make. More generally what you will want to look for is trade collections that collect the floppy releases into one bounded volume for you.

TKJ and Watchmen are both fine. Watchmen being a better value buy since there's more material. The TKJ collections are too small to justify the purchase to me and the recolors are shit.

It's overrated but not bad, he doesn't need to only read 10/10 stories when he starts out. In fact it might be better to build up to those so he can appreciate the intricacies of why they are good.

i've decided to start with tkj and watchmen, can you recommend some 10/10 stories that are self-contained so that i can explore them later on? thanks.

V for Vendetta

Why not start with some Batman elseworld storys? I got into comics after manga too, it took me a while to get used to comic's styles.

mind recommending some batman elseworlds? i picked tkj because it appeared to be one of the most popular self-contained batman stories.

>graphic novels so that i can read a self-contained story without having to scramble all over the place.

First things first, get rid of this mentality. You'll never really "get into" comics if you're afraid to actually read ongoings.

Beyond that, your fear is mostly unfounded. While crossovers do happen, pretty much every comic allows for you to read the same magazine without absolutely needing to read other shit to get the full picture. If you read from the start of a writer's run, you will 99% of the time be perfectly fine.

Personally, both The Killing Joke and Watchmen are AWFUL places to start reading comics. Terrible, terrible, fucking terrible. Watchmen is terrible to start because you're not going to remotely appreciate how unique its style is compared to other comics, past and present. Nor, I'm assuming, are you going to put much effort into consuming all of the extra bits: the more boring/less action-packed pages, the side stories, the back matter, etc.

On the other hand, The Killing Joke is not just overrated, but edgy as hell, in a cringeworthy way. You shouldn't go into comics thinking, "Wow, this edgelord shit is what people consider good, huh? I guess that's what I should be reading!" Otherwise, you'll seek out the lowest of the 00s' trash, and no one should suffer through that.

If you want Batman recs, see . If you want some of Moore's works that are both good for starters and not embarrassing to read, see , his America's Best Comics output (e.g. Tom Strong, Top 10, Promethea), and his run on Swamp Thing.

My favorites are
The Doom That Came to Gotham
Gotham by Gaslight
Batman: The Golden Streets of Gotham

I started reading Batman with Jeph Loeb and Tim Sales's Batman series. I think those are good to start with too.

Jesus christ you guys are shit in recommendation.

First things first, what would you like to read OP? Cape comics or non-cape? You mentioned Batman but is there other characters or universe that would interest you?
As for Batman, here's a picture that suggest every good Batman stories that are adequate for new readers. All these trades are fairly easy to get. Sup Forums also did a tumblr a few years ago that reunite all these recommendation pictures so you might want to check that out.

DONT PICK UP WATCHMEN. DONT PICK UP WATCHMEN. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND WHAT SUPERHERO COMICS ARE ABOUT AND HOW THEY ARE WRITTEN TO UNDERSTAND THE STORY WATCHMEN IS TRYING TO TELL.

Those red letters are literally hurting my eyes.

>Identity Crisis
Fuck thats a dank meme

>posting something a tripfag watermarked

stopped
reading
there

> * is mandatory
Fucking telling us what to do? No i want to fight the creator of that image.
Just become an X-fag OP

The Killing Joke?

Don't you know that the writer doesn't even like it? Why would you read something the writer doesn't like? Read his roman graphique Lost Girls instead.

Saga of The Swamp Thing by Alan Moore. Get on that, champ.

If you're looking to have your mind blown, read Watchmen.

If you're just looking to have a good time, i recommend the newest stories and some from new 52. Try injustice for casual fun. For Superman, just start from the prequel, "Superman: Lois and Clark", and then read Superman: Rebirth (the newest storyline). For Batman, there are plenty of new comics, i prefer Batman and Robin (from new 52), and Batman: Rebirth. I also recommend many comics from the New 52 storyline; Justice League, Wonder Woman, Justice League Dark, Constantine, Aquaman and swamp thing.

If you're looking to actually understand everything that is going on, there is no easy way. You will have to go all the way to Crisis on infinitely earths, and then select some major events like infinite Crisis, countdown/final crisis, Flashpoint, new 52.

The kind of thing you want to read to get into batman are Year One, Man Who Laughs, Long Halloween and Dark Victory, in that order.

After that you should read the Killing Joke if you decide you like batman comix.

I'd also recommend for a beginner to read Giant Size X-Men, and then read Uncanny X-Men from issue issue 94 onwards if you enjoy it.

>the state of Sup Forums in 2016
It's over. We've been totally overrun with tumblrkin who can't stand a story in which a woman gets hurt.

It's not that a woman gets hurt, its a poorly written way of a woman getting hurt.

Don't listen to this guy's Batman recs. Long halloween and Court of owls is mediocre.

Agreed, check out Moore's Neonomicon for superior female abuse kino.

I agree

Don't listen to that guy, telling you to not listen to that guy.

Read the killing joke. The art, paneling, structure and detailed scripting is far superior to most shit out there.

don't listen to these guys kid, listen to me!

Invest in plastics!

It sure is Sup Forumsmblr in here.

I used to like The Killing Joke too, until Moore said he didn't like it.

Now I hate it.

Injustice is a pretty self contained story
kind of like manga

Can we agree to disagree?

Why do you make this thread EVERY SINGLE DAY?

hey guys, op here. i decided to purchase tkj and long halloween. i just finished tkj and i enjoyed it, very excited to start the long halloween later tonight. thank you to all that contributed.

I've gotta say, pick up Hellboy and The Goon while you're at it. They're both fantastic reads. Good fun action, engaging lore, hits all the right notes.

OP asked for graphic novels.

I'm with this guy.

OP, those are fantastic places to start. As a matter of fact, it's where I started and I haven't stopped since.

In terms of the basics, definitely hit those Batman recs (Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween (not a fan myself of that one)).

From there, it's really about what characters you want to read about.

Here's a link to the Sup Forums recommded reading wiki. Start from there!!!

corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forums_Recommended_Comics_Wiki

If you're a fan of Batman and you've checked out Killing Joke you should check out Dark Knight Returns and Year One. Pretty much every Batman related thing since the 80s has referenced them in some way. Batman v Superman is practically fan fiction of it.

Don't get into watchmen until you've read a decent amount of capeshit.
Also don't read just capeshit, there's tons of great comics in other genres, From Hell is also by Moore, It's a completely self contained story and it's really fantastic all round. It's a bit on the long side, but coming from Manga that shouldn't be a problem.

no, no, you don't understand. they're just saying that anyone over 11 who non-ironically enjoys a 'bat man' comic is a Mentally Retarded Faggot, AKA all men.