Hey there comic fans, I'm posting here as well as in Sup Forums to get an idea of what the fans want

Hey there comic fans, I'm posting here as well as in Sup Forums to get an idea of what the fans want.
So, I'm playing joker in an upcoming webseries batman project. Can't give out too many details on it, BUT I can ask this question.

WHAT should be seen/done by the perfect on screen joker? This does not just pertain to me, but to all jokers. What makes a joker good in film? Heath Ledger's anarchist attitude or Leto's crazy nature?

What would you like to see from ME as the joker, or from an upcoming BIG FILM Joker?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iaUcLzxMFq4
youtube.com/watch?v=EIVpPQ0Khhw
youtu.be/Etst4t3ES8Y?t=1m57s
youtube.com/watch?v=hr0697liZdc
youtube.com/watch?v=PMwMJcserBE
youtube.com/watch?v=aNe8Am8BGk0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsbIdSGwoEs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I'm posting here as well as in Sup Forums

You and most people posting here nowadays. Try staying there.

They told me to try coming here with more stuff for comic whatnot. I'm getting a film side, and a comics side.

Don't mind that one, he's just memeing.

(Trying to work out an actual response. Fingers crossed.)

do your research. dont be like this new fag joker we have now. simple as that.

The Leto shenanigans are actually hilarious. Have Joker doing silly shit like that.

He would ideally by dangerously spontaneous, so unpredictable to the point of scariness. He should be able to make you laugh and then make you feel bad about it. He's generally fashionable in his own way and obsessed with his own image. He should be thought-provoking in ways that make you uncomfortable.

Leto's Joker showed a lot of promise, but his prime aesthetics meant nothing against his really awkward, staid performance. They did cut most of his scenes, though. Leto got short shrift.

I know you're a shitposter, but I'm bored.

I'm being completely serious. You all need to go back.

>mom says go to bed at 9
>go to bed at 9.30

LOCK ME UP

No wigger shit.

Thanks. I'm just here to get some comic fan's takes on what they want out of the character, so I can fill my part to the best of the fans desires.
Oh I have. To quote my last post on the Sup Forums thread

"I went through A LOT of research and junk.

Watched things ranging from the entire animated series, to all kinds of psycho movies. And sat through about every interview with Charles Manson to get an idea what went on in a nutter's head.

I then sat through Rekt thread after Rekt thread to get an idea of how certain types of gore should look, to kinda get an idea of what we'd be working with. And to sorta get into the mind of someone who likes it.

>BacameTotalEdgeLord"

I also read countless comics, mainly drawing inspiration from the death in the family and killing joke stories.

>Pic is me

What do you guys wanna see as far as makeup goes? We're going for the bleached look.

If you are indeed legitimately an actor, my advice is to figure the character out on your own. People don't know what they want.

Well in doing that I feel like I went too serious at one point and not serious enough. I feel it's up to the fans, as it is(No matter how well we do the show) a fan series. Therefor it's FOR the fans, and I'd like to know what they want.

I want less gangster and more sleazy vegas lounge singer.
And none of that "I'm going to make you have sex with my girl and then kill you" What even was that?

So NO LETO then? xD

Well, to me, the core of the Joker is that you don't know what he's doing. Take the Laughing Fish story, where the Joker poisons the fish in Gotham's waters to give them his signature smile, and attempts to patent poisoned Joker fish to get a percentage off fish stocks - then murders the people at the patent office because they wouldn't let him. It's never made clear in-story what he's doing. Is he trying to make money off an absurd scheme? Does he intend the scheme to be some kind of bizarre satire on the idea of patents? Does he just want an excuse to murder people who won't let him have fun? It's never made clear. The Joker should always be up to interpretation in that sense - there's a reason he's never been given a truly canon backstory.

More than that, the Joker should be funny. He can be blackly humorous, like Heath Ledger, or straightly comedic, like Cesar Romero, and can even happily vacillate between the two. The Joker should make you laugh, and also shock you a little that you laughed. He should be affable and approachable, but he should also have an edge of the disturbing.

I'll keep that in mine. Thank you.

I planned to have him on the disturbing side, though give him a dark humor BUT it seem fans here all want him to be a bit more unpredictable and less edgy I guess.

As mentioned, do what's comfortable. Try to read some of the best Joker stories, and then take the bits you like and ignore the bits you don't.

I want to see a silly, goofy Joker. One who is actually funny at first before the deranged bit kicks in. The guy who will send Batman on an elaborate chase to defuse bombs that are full of nothing but silly string and confetti.

Appearance wise try going for a classic look. The suit, the flower, maybe a cane that's also a pogo stick, etc.

Remember, he's the Clown Prince of Crime.

Okay, so

>About to post another pic

Which one do you think would work more? I want to do a chemical bath joker. BUT eh... I can work with both designs.

Also, the one joker pic isn't yellow makeup, the lighting was shit.

BOTH of these are about a year old. So, they aren't the one we have as of now, but it's up to fans.

Here's the other pic.

Also, here. Make up sucks but this has a great laugh.

youtube.com/watch?v=iaUcLzxMFq4

I'd say the first one looks better. But keep the longer hair.

More to the point: don't make him look grungy. That was Ledger's thing. Go for a clean and classic look.

More Like this?

Yeah, that's good. Make the bleached skin more stark, though. It looks a bit too thin there. It should be striking.

Another note: don't do the shadowy eyes thing. Ain't great.

waay too edge please no edge

Make sure you brush up on your jokes and comedic timing. The point of the joker character is that he's supposed to be funnier than anyone in the batman series.

The final one we have RIGHT NOW, it changes a lot. IS less eyeshadow, more eyeliner. Kinda like a Charlie Chaplin thing. Stage makeup and what not.

>that face
Don't go to a prison to study real criminals or anything, pretty face.

Cant tell if complement or not.

Usually I get told I have a "Resting rape face" so, this is a step up.

Good. Honestly, man, don't stress too much. Remember to keep the Joker as jovial.

That's the biggest thing about modern Joker. You can tell the actor wants to be intense. It ruins the comedy of it, especially if they lack good timing.

What is your own opinion on the Joker? How do you want to do him if you were a fan?

Just don't try too hard like leto. I liked leto, but he didn't please everybody

I find joker to be one of my favorite comic characters of all time, right behind Spider-man.

I had always wanted to do him as a dark humored character(I took inspiration from Charles Manson on it) BUT I want to do something a bit more human at the same time. So it's hard to tell what even I want. So I kinda came here for a thing on what the fans want and plan to blend it with my ideas I've had.

And I liked Leto, but I know it's far too little in the movie of him to judge his preformance. And how it was cut was bad. So I will wait and see on that. but I have no plan to copy Jared.

Are you Tom Felton?

I get that far too often. I don't even think I look that much like him in real life.

>Pic is from me today. Less Felton, more... rapeface.

There is a bit of hard truth in this, I think: a good Joker does as he does, not as others do. The Joker is very much a singular mind, and his fashions and mannerisms should show as little overt influence from the outside world as possible.

A good Joker should also be natural. Seeking fan input like this is great, and research is a must for any role, but I think at the core of it all here is one simple question:

What's funny to YOU?

>I'm playing joker in an upcoming webseries batman projec
Don't.

Anyone posted that Snickers commercial yet?

Make up aside you want to go from clowning around to threatening, and the transition has to be seamless but also sudden. Like a punchline it only hits the victim and viewer when it's already happened.
youtube.com/watch?v=EIVpPQ0Khhw
>Whoever draws the ace of spades wins a night out!...that window.

This applies both to action and dialogue
youtu.be/Etst4t3ES8Y?t=1m57s
This whole video is good, but here the focus is Joker making a visual gag
>I(Eye) on the other hand
>Batman looks to the bluff of the right hand while Joker's switchblade is drawn in his left hand.

youtube.com/watch?v=hr0697liZdc
As for this one it's just a classic case of someone being unsuspecting around Joker until it's too late, Sid knew Joker was dangerous but didn't realize Joker had already invited him to his own funeral, figuring it just a mock eulogy for Batman.

youtube.com/watch?v=PMwMJcserBE
Again, Joker goes from playfully mocking Batman and Nightwing to abruptly reminding Batman of a tragedy with a bleak wisecrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=aNe8Am8BGk0
Again, silly commercial, sudden threat to Gotham that an ambiguous amount of their products have already been laced with lethal poison.

Also like Batman says in Mad Love to Harley on Joker's therapy stories, like TDK does with the scars, like TKJ concludes with his supposed origin always remember the Joker is a comedian (or trying to be one) so whatever he's selling someone it has to be recycled material with a million angles. It's not whether the story is true but how it's told to who it's told.

You also don't need to use nothing but A material, a bad joke sometimes comes right round to good if delivered at the right time.

Try something new so that you're not just recreating what other people have done.

Try and learn how to shuffle cards so that the Joker has something to do with his hands while talking. Or take an old Rubix Cube and replace a bunch of the stickers until they're all purple and green, and then when all the cubes are lined up it shows a smile in the middle. Or maybe have a switchblade on your hands at all times, just playing with it but never opening it. Then when you have a big confrontation or whatever you can flip it open and reveal it's a comb the whole time.

That "chances are...you bought 'em already" line is gold. If only Jack had a higher pitched laugh.

I like your input user, Good thinking!

That one's FAR less flattering.

If only Jack could still act when they made the movie.

He's got the chin, though.

Joker's smile is more important than his chin and he does not have Joker's smile.

He had it earlier in the thread.

Yea, it is. It was to show how old the first pic was.

My hair needs a fucking cut.

>Rape face game is strong.

Marathon B:TAS

No he didn't.
He has no better a Joker smile than typical amateur cosplayers.
Except that even amateur cosplayers have been able to get the Joker look down better than this guy.

Try a legit smile. I mean none of this "threatening smile". The threat comes from how much fun he's having.

I think you're being a bit harsh. Certainly better than Leto.

>Certainly better than Leto.
No.

My issue with Leto is that he tried to hard to sell the "insane" angle. It came off as really cringy and more accidentally funny than intentionally.I also felt that his inclusion in the movie was pointless, but that's not important here.

Just don't have moments where it's like "LOOK HOW CUH-RAZEEE I AM" because those are shit, and that was Leto

Legit smile, more like this one?

OOPS, Wrong photo.

This is my legit natural smile.

This is from a night out with my now EX girlfriend.

Yes, much better.

I'm definitely seeing the rape face, it's perfect

I often get told 1 of two things.

1: I look like malfoy
2: I look like a serial rapist.

The only other one I've gotten is Axe Murderer.

Intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsbIdSGwoEs

As a pro makeup artist and joker cosplayer, make sure you contour, regardless of what direction you go. It's more important than most people realize

Play up the megalomaniac side a bit. He should be egotistical.

In terms of aesthetics you might want to consider prosthetics to make your features more angular.

Whereas Batman has a broad build and a lantern jaw of justice, Joker is all pointy angles; a sharp nose, a sharp chin, a slim build, etc.

Thanks! I'll make sure to look into that.

I keep feeling as if something off when doing joker stuff.

Here's a mock up of joker final design. DEFINITLY needs Contoring or something. At this point it looks like a bad drag queen.

In the Lighting Fish the entire punchline was that the Joker knew he wasn't going to get any money out of it and it amused him to torment a little nobody by threatening and then following through with that threat unless he did the impossible. Same with his other victims.

Okay, enough of this 16 year old dipshit.

Go home, kid. No one cares about your shitty home video web series.

What I think really lets a lot of fan projects down - and bear this in mind even if you think I'm kidding because it's really true - is that they're not really so constrained as the studio is. You can have Batman fight Predator. You can have Batman held captive by some random junkie for months, raped and forcibly addicted to narcotics, because you're not the studio. You have no money riding on it - you can't make money from your project, after all, without trading on their IP and getting sued into lifetime bankruptcy.

So whatever you do, you're doing out of love for the character. Except here's the thing: if all you're doing is something I could see in a comic book anyway, I don't care. I'm not supporting the movies financially; I have no stake in this other than my time.

There's a tendency to play it safe so that lots of people will watch. If you want that - if you think you'll seriously get it, and that they'll be people who matter and this is for your showreel - fine. If you're just trying to demonstrate technical competence, just do that. It doesn't matter if the thing makes no sense; the opening of Dark Knight Rises doesn't make any sense because it exists solely to showcase IMAX filmstock for a meeting that was had by Nolan and other directors he hoped would invest, which was over before the movie released. Just stick any old shit up and make sure it showcases your ability if that's what you want - the ability to deliver absolute bullshit with a straight face is an actor's best talent after all - and leave it there.

You want to be remembered? Don't play it safe. Don't make it a fanfic crossover, either. Go nuts. Do something nobody has done before. Research everybody who's already done what you're going to do - watch them. See what they don't do. Fill that hole, even if it's crazy.

>h-here I go!

Color corrected a bit. Add some tone to it.

Contouring and blending are super important for makeup on camera. It will accentuate your natural features and add what you need. It's one thing that really sets apart good joker cosplays from any other guy with white creme paint.

If you don't mind me asking where are you guys located in?

I'll look into it. Thank you.

We're based out of florida, can't say where. BUT we've been doing a LOT of work to write this stuff, and to get the CGI down to make it look like a bigger city than it is, without going full greenscreen everything.

>greenscreen
WHY NOT PRACTICALSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSREFEFEFEFECX

>florida
Perfect place for the Joker. Read some Florida man articles for inspiration.

That's awesome, I'm based in NOLA. I've always wanted to work on a project like this. Best of luck to you.

Seriously, I freaking know.

2 Zombies as of now.
1 Dude shoving a hose up his ass and spraying his friend with diarrhea watter
countless assholes being crazy as fuck
If you have any good CGI skills we could use you. We have CGI stuff, but it'd be WAY better to just sent that to a third party to finish so we can do filming and shit.