I don't see why Blizzard couldn't make their own CGI feature film. Square made 3 FF films and they aren't worse for wear

I don't see why Blizzard couldn't make their own CGI feature film. Square made 3 FF films and they aren't worse for wear

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g
youtube.com/watch?v=NmJNSlN_OB4
youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They did, and it bombed in the US. Did well in China though.

>Square ... aren't worse for wear
They literally went bankrupt and sold themselves to their bitter competitor

lel

Warcraft was mostly live-action what are you talking about.

Anyway it would do shit because Blizzard's ability to actually construct a narrative with decent dialogue is completely non-existent. Bastion worked because it was entirely visual.

>I don't see why Blizzard couldn't make their own CGI feature film.

Fuck that. I want a cartoon series or at least regular animated shorts. They could actually do some decent looking shit with the WoW game engine alone now.

Where's my Zenyatta animated short, Blizzard? dat nigga is a qt.

Are you retarded?

>and they aren't worse for wear
What are you talking about, yes they are

>thinks Warcraft movie is animated

You're fucking retarded.

The reason The Last Bastion was good was because he didn't open his mouth once to speak.

Because filmmaking requires good writing, too.

This desu. Blizz has a AAA grafics department, and monkeys on typewriters next door.

that sqishy ray of sunshine. srsly just look at him.

Blizzard's cinematic strong suit has always been direction-- look at the Warcraft 3 cinematics, which are incredibly tight pieces of visual storytelling and implication-over-demonstration style action. I could see them making a strong play doing an adaptation of an existing work-- one of the least objectionable of their in-house novels, maybe, or even something entirely outside of their own IP. Not that they ever WOULD do that last one, but still, I think they'd be good at it.

It's like Blizzard designed Omnics to be as kawaii as possible.

>Because filmmaking requires good writing, too.
yeah, and SC had a decent story. all their other games were at least ok enough to not to stick out. I think they totally could make a movie. the simple answer to the OP question would be : they just enjoy making games. the cinematics for Blizzard are just a vehicle to invest players in the lore and story. they produce exactly as many as needed for that matter.

>All their other games were decent enough to not stick out

Maybe once, user, but all of their decent writers have left by this point, and it DOES stick out. Were you not paying attention when everyone was criticizing the most recent iterations of Starcraft, Diablo, and Warcraft? None of Blizzard's franchises have managed to maintain the level of writing they had in the ninties.

they are afraid, after konami fucking died they know wasting money on stuff that won't help the company is a terrible idea.

when is people not criticizing the most recent iterations of any blizzard's games? people only love vanilla games.

3? Did I miss one? There was the first (FF in name only), and the one based on 7. What was the third?

Because clapistan believes that a cartoon should be fun for the family or else it's not worth the risk
>BUT SAUSAGE PARTY
This is blizzard they won't do something that has that kind of shock value

The first trailer for Overwatch I thought it was gonna be a movie and I was super excited, then I realized it was gonna be a game and I was less excited, then I found out it was gonna be a FPS and I was even less excited. There's so much here they could make a movie franchise out of it, fully CG animated.

Until we get our TF2 show on [AS] Blizzard can fuck right off.

>What was the third?

Kingsglaive, based on XV.

youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g

you dont really need your inhouse writers. as cynical brit said "you cant transfer the same storytelling classical techniques on interactive media and vice versa" in his Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons review. blizzard only need money (no shortage of that) and technical expertise (it did work with south park).

If you can't tell the difference in quality between the writing for Blizzard's most recent games and their previous ones, I don't know what to tell you. But saying that 'people only love vanilla games' is incredibly wrong-headed, because, with the exception of Diablo III, all of the criticism is specifically about the writing, not the mechanics. People LIKE playing WoW even if the writing gets increasingly dumb. Starcraft II is mechanically a great rts, even though its writing is as stupid as a sack of bricks. Diablo III is mechanically a little rough, but still more than passable for an arpg, but it's the writing no one likes. I have to wonder if you've even played these games, if you honestly think that the writing stands up.

okay then tell me, according to you which ones are well written?

Dude, the Warcraft movie sucked.

David Bowie Jr. totally messed up.

>the ending to the hero short where after nearly being killed by a gang all alejandra's mom can say is something like "haha wow my little girl is growing up after all!"
>everything about widowmaker in alive
i mean, maybe if they hired better writers it could work

Because movies are expensive but the Video Game industry is bigger.
So making these shorts is a bit expensive but act well for the longevity of Overwatch by fleshing out the story which people like so much in their hero-games these days

Came here to post this. Also, Kingsglaive is one of the most lowest rated films of the year.

Starcraft and Brood War are both well written; they have strong characters who are characterized incredibly economically, mostly by making use of classic archetypes. Those archetypes are classics for a reason, though, and the execution is what's important-- and their execution here is good. Starcraft II, by contrast, has good ideas and then implements them poorly and inconsistently. Characters are not consistent, and tone is a problem-- the biggest offender is the Tal'darim, who go from believable religious zealots to Saturday morning cartoon characters who, while enjoyable, are not really believable.

Orcs and Humans barely has any writing or characters to speak of, but it does have some plot, and what is has at least makes sense. Tides of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal are both fairly good, although having two campaign stories running in parallel and having only parts of each end up "true" makes things difficult for succeeding stories. Characters are established, but for the most part not strongly demonstrated-- there's a lot of telling and not much showing, but at least what's being told to us is decent. III is the real pinnacle of storytelling, where your heroes are constantly present for characterization and to move the plot. Arthas' arc is the strongest from any of the games, and the cinematics are masterpieces. WoW has a lot of variety simply by virtue of being so big and running for so long. A lot of the small writing is actually pretty good, but the big stuff is generally awful because it's yoked to gameplay concerns-- particularly the inconsistency of characters like Garrosh, Thrall, Varian and Jaina. The main problems are the insistence of faction war to support the mmo format, and the fact that the story cannot be allowed to end because that would end the cash-cow. Wow's problems are unique among Blizz's games in that regard.

Cont.

Diablo also has very little writing, but what writing is does have is strong tone-wise. Characters are a little perfunctory, but serviceable, and plot is bare-bones, but the bones are solid. Like Orcs and Humans, it’s limited by its nature. Neither does anything to really stand out writing-wise, but more importantly, neither makes any inexcusable blunders. Diablo II and Lord of Destruction have a stronger plot and characters; following the Dark Wanderer makes a pretty good arc, and the cinematics, again, are top-notch. The framing device of Marius narrating his story is well-executed, and the cliff hanger leading into the expansion is also strong. Characters are a little more fleshed out and a little better-demonstrated. Diablo III has some of the best writing taken piece-for-piece, but overall suffers from several serious mistakes. Companions’ stories are pretty good iterations of classic shapes, Tyrael’s fall from grace is an interesting arc, Zoltan Kulle is probably the strongest personality in the series—but the plot takes some all-too-predictable steps and does some idiotic things. Azmodan in particular is badly written, never displaying an ounce of his supposed tactical genius. Leah-as-diablo is shaky, Adria is too-obviously sinister, Belial’s deceptions are weak… there’s a lot there that was handled poorly, even if root ideas were good.

They can't into story

>Square made 3 FF films and they aren't worse for wear

I'm not that user but the general consensus is that all of Blizzards games were well written until somewhere in WoTLK.

So good written games:
>Warcraft
>Warcraft II and Beyond the Dark Portal
>Starcraft and Brood War
>Diablo
>Diablo 2 and Lord of Destruction
>Warcraft 3 and Frozen THrone
>WoW Vanilla, Burning Crusade and Most of Wrath of The Lich King

>Burning Crusade
>AKA, How Illidan went insane for raisin

All I want is a StarCraft Netflix series about Jim Raynor throughout the StarCraft storyline

I mean, if your chocolate chip cookie turned out to actually be a raisin cookie, you might go insane too.

Blizzard peaked at warcraft 3. Now even their cinematics are fucking lazy

I really liked WoDs trailer but, I don't play WoW so I don't care about how disappointing it turned out to be.

You can say a lot about Blizz's direction going to shit, but the Cinematics still look beautiful. The one for Warlords was fantastic.

>trusting westerners to critique a Japanese film
Are you retarded or something? Those old fucks have no idea how Japanese cinema works.

I'd rather have a Kerrigan one but that's partly for alien lewds

Because we live in a world full of idiots, and if Blizzard were to start making CGI movies or TV series then they expect them to be like the quality of their CGI trailers. But these people don't know that the trailer alone takes about a year to make, so imagine how long a movie would take and the budget for such a thing.

Blizzard is shit anyways
Bring back traditional animation, the superior animation form.

>particularly the inconsistency of characters like Garrosh, Thrall, Varian and Jaina.
There is no inconsistency with any of these characters

Garrosh had some problems in his transition to Pandaria. It only went more downhill from there as he became all about the Orc Pride Worldwide.

Something like Hero or Alive wouldn't take that long because they use in game assests but rendered at a higher setting. But holy shit Last Bastion had to have been in development before the game released.

AW YEAH!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=NmJNSlN_OB4

>Those old fucks have no idea how Japanese cinema works.

Badly?

every time you saw an orc, that was CGI. how stupid can you be?

Nah. Warlords is easily one of their best. Legion kind of sucked though. Overwatch shorts all have fantastic direction, but mediocre scripts.

Yeah, the best parts of the Overwatch shorts are when they use them to show off cool visuals, like Bastions whole war flashback.

WotLK still is my favorite cinematic.
youtube.com/watch?v=BCr7y4SLhck

No duh.
One of my favourite Japanese director had a film that was criticized solely for having rape scenes, i shit you not almost none of the criticism was aimed at the animation (which was god tier and stylish) or the story, just the women getting fucked. I still refuse to trust any westerner "critics" opinion on anything Japanese related.

no screw that
GIVE ME MY TF2 SHOW DAMMIT

There's this thing called writing and directing. Trying to produce two hours worth of either takes skill.

Legions cinematic sucks because of the music

Because that shit is expensive and time consuming. It's just not realistic to expect them to make a movie as good as their cgi.

I find it weird that TF2 never got its version of red Vs Blue

>goes from an asshole but still honorable to literally hitler in one expansion
>not inconsistent

"lol old gods did it" is not an excuse either.

The Spirits Within bombed so hard it caused them to be bought out by Enix.

Old God's didn't do shit

Garrosh was always big on orc pride