/doag/

Educational Edition. Tonight in the highly educational internet comic strip "Dumbing of Age," we learn some ASL!

So if she says no....Marcie intends to rape her?
That would be a decent slipshine.

She's gonna... fill her vagina with spiders?

huh, guess I expect so little of this comic, I wasn't ready for a reasonable response like masturbate furiously

Why do the hands in the top ASL panel need to be blue?

Why do her hands need to be blue when signing at all? That's a shit way to show motion. It looks like he didn't finish coloring.

FUCK OFF
U
C
K

O
F
F

I... is she saying she's gonna masturbate or that she's gonna finger the girl until she submits?

It's not a bad way of showing motion, but Willis' problem is that he has no sense of flow. He thinks that he can just draw Point A and Point B without needing to worry about the space between the two. Case in point is Pic Related; there's no clear definition of movement between certain positions Amber is PARKOURing in, resulting in what looks like a disjointed mess of random poses. It's almost like Willis drew what was in-between the usual pauses instead of what was actually important.

Also, the blue arm in panel three is the one that looks the most like a coloring error. And yeah, I can see it in panel five as well. Maybe you're more right than I am.

Suddenly she grows ghost arms.

That's, unfortunately, how he always draws ASL. It's to show the rapid repetition or movement or something?

See, if Willis had given her colored but transparent arms, maybe it would work better.

Instead he gives her unfinished ghost limbs. It looks retarded.

That retaining wall sure is interesting. Better fill 40% of the panel with it.

She learned her moves from Parkour Lewis, because he cannot lose.

I remember this page. There people in the comments section honestly confused as to what Amber was doing or how she ended up in that landing position, and the other people in the comments section blasted them for calling Amber fat.

The ways of Parkour are strange and mysterious.

That's not Parkour she's doing though, it's just gymnastics.

The problem is that in panel three, there's no second arm position to imply movement. Her blue arm looks like it's held in a fixed position.

It's not a problem, Marcie's arm is augmented to glow whenever she's trying to convey ASL words with her arms. Those "goggles" are also an augmentation, that's why what appears to just be light reflecting off the lenses mimics her eye movement.

Her vocal cords are also augmented to a frequency humans can't hear so she can talk to dogs. Unfortunately she doesn't speak dog language. Maybe in some future upgrade.

Or maybe the comic is weird and clunky. It's one of those two cases.

FUCK YOU FOR MAKING ME LAUGH AT THAT

>how she ended up in that landing position
It almost looks like he drew it backwards, like she was coming from the landing position to get back to the starting spot.

I think he assumes everyone knows that specific sign and that it's not stationary.

Willis is digging so hard trying to get diversity points with the ASL that he's being VERY offensive with that shit.

There are so few asl characters in comics that he might get a pass though. And of all the other stupid shit in this comic, it's no big deal, comparatively.

Wait for someone to hand her a pen and pad and watch everyone lose their shit.

She's got laser eyes. She knows what you're thinking.

I can't find the complete series anywhere and' it's driving me fucking crazy

Perhaps both.

Obviously summoned the Devil at a crossroads in Mississippi late one night and traded her ability to speak for ghost arms.

I think the problem is that ASL is very difficult to portray in comics unless you're willing to devote a lot panels to it.

If you remove the third position and the motion lines the sequence makes sense; she jumps onto the wall then springs into a forward flip. It would also work if you swap position two and three; leap, twirl, landing, then forward flip.

I'm fine with both of those options.

Another lesbian.

Fantastic.

She is canonically bi, if that makes you feel any better.

It doesn't.

Bi-sexual woman in comics is just lesbian without wanting to commit.

But, Amber is objectively fat. That's a fact of her existence. She's fat. What is there to blast someone over?

It's not like she's a real person, capable of being insulted to her face.

Oh yeah, detail image

Oh hey, that's Billie's boss from her newspaper, Daisy.

So that's two lesbians on the page who let their sexual drives override their higher functions

OOOH!!! It's motion!

I thought she had a cybernetic arm and he couldn't keep track which one it was from panel to panel. I was severely confused

Amber just exists to break reality.

If somebody her size can do that kind of shit IRL than it's news to me. And it's sad that I'm sure Willis thinks this is progressive and empowering for his overweight crowd despite the fact that it's impossible IRL.

The way he draws sign language is offputting and weird.

They're blue, not to show motion, but to say, bluntly, "SHE IS DOING ASL, NOT A HAND GESTURE".
It's actually a commonly accepted tactic for showing ASL.

Hm.

It still looks weird when he does it.

HOW DARE YOU NOT TREAT FICTIONAL CHARACTERS AS OF THEY ARE REAL DON'T YOU KNOW THAT AMBER DURING THE TOEDAD BOSS BATTLE WAS SEMI-AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL

Drama ensues.

Is Marcie using a stand?

Just because it's commonly accepted doesn't mean it's good.

Yare yare daze.

It wouldn't be that bad if he just bothered to show her training every once in a while.

Besides , we never see her do anything besides use her computer and get into pointless romantic drama

The most action we see with her is when she's already Amazi-Girl.
We don't see training, we don't see practice, and from the outset we've been led to believe that she just already knew everything that she does.

All I see in the last panel is
> I'm so angry right now
> I'm going to have sex with my GF so I won't be so mad

> impossible IRL
user. Encouraging untrained, overweight people to do dangerous stunts their body isn't prepared for in ANY way is a great way to injure people you don't like.

Lemme guess, bisexual guys in comics are just closet gays

to be fair, there's only one in the comic and he literally is because Willis is trying desperately to make his younger self stand in more progressive

The weird thing is that like 90% of the time she's just jumping people who are unaware of her, she doesn't need gymnastics or parkour. She should be doing boxing training or something.

And my other page for the day.
I updated Darkettes look a little bit so she could look a bit more like Roz.

That's probably what he would say.
If he even knew the first thing about sex.

this garbage is not worth discussion

You think he'll make Danny a top? Seems like something he'd do, like he wants his stand-in to be progressive but can't separate himself from the character enough to not feel awkward and weird about him taking one up the ass.

「Cherry Chapstick」

So is Darkette going to have a hidden past of homemaking, Jesus camp, the Young Republicans, abortion clinic protesting, and opposition to teaching sex-ed in schools?

Wait, what? Danny's not a closet gay, he's explicitly attracted to both men and women.

Nah, she's just your average tumblr user trying to stop the person who's up from election from getting elected.

Mainly because the candidate has some policies she doesn't agree with.

So she made some rumors of sex happening in the dorms and sex videos because the canidate owns the school and that would make her look bad.

Basically she's doing this because she thinks she's the good guy here and she thinks she's doing everyone a favor.

>It's not like she's a real person, capable of being insulted to her face.
Don't say anything like that in the comments section, about any character. They will shred you in an instant.

Wow, what amazing detail and facial features. The lack of noses is fantastic.

>we never see her do anything besides use her computer and get into pointless romantic drama
She also plays her DS.

Great job on mimicking her smug facial expression in panel 3.

Spelling note:
-definitely

Part of me wants the political disagreements to understandable while the efforts she puts in to derail them are far more extreme. Another part of me hopes that the disagreements are minor or even hairsplitting in nature.

Well, I was either going to have the canidate be a mix of Hillary and Trump to show how silly both are, or just have her be some one who's going to increase taxes.

Which one do you think would be better?

True. IIRC, Amber used to be on the track team or something (whatever one uses hurdles), but that's about it.

That can't explain most of the crazy flips she does, the outfit, her tools (okay, yes, you can probably order most of that shit on the internet, but where does she get the money?), or how she got through the Toedad car chase without having to go to the hospital. I mean, Joyce ended up hurting her arm, and all she did was punch a guy

Depends on how much you want the politician to be a recurring character. Keep in mind that until Clinton started pandering hard to the progressives her platform was very similar to Trump's.

>how she got through the Toedad car chase without having to go to the hospital. I mean, Joyce ended up hurting her arm, and all she did was punch a guy

Hurting yourself punching is incredibly common due to the anatomy of the hand. Meanwhile, one's ass is mostly a big cushion of fat and muscle, landing flat on her ass makes her most likely injuries bruising or a fractured tailbone.

The concept is supposed to be that after the stabbing she secretly started doing a lot of training under the guise of regular activity to become a batman figure. It's weird though, because she is also an incredibly sedentary obsessed mmo nerd and that isn't a cover, at least not all the time. Somehow she managed to not get into visible incredible shape while still writing tons of fanfic, raiiding, and playing video games. All while she was doing enough schoolwork to get into University (not to say that high school work is hard, but it is often time consuming).

It's preposterous.

This was the only injury Amber ended up with in the end.

>Somehow she managed to not get into visible incredible shape while still writing tons of fanfic, raiiding, and playing video games.
Er, what I meant was, she managed to not get into shape despite her intense training routine that lets her beat up jocks easily. And she did all that training while being a huge obsessed dork.

Amazi-Girl made more sense in shortpacked where it wasn't a serious situation.

Meh, robin doesn't appear that much right?

I think I might just go with the latter on this one.

Is that Joe's dad and someone's mom on the left?

>mary on bottom
>becky above joyce
>carla above anyone
No taste.

I think it'd work better if they weren't 100% opacity.

>another lesbian

what a fucking shocker

>do you even know if she likes girls yet?

it's dumbing of age of course she likes girls

I remember how Willis' commenters called him out when Sal saved her and said that she had a concussion, and then changed it from that to saying she just had a clunk on her head or something.

Does Willis not believe in physical medicine as well?

He doesn't like trusting doctors with his seizures and stuff.

It's SIGN language. Just use sign bubbles like everyone in the 60's did.

It also wraps up the Toedad saga with "Welp, no one died, so no one outside of campus will hear about the attempted shooting!" to avoid any long-term implications of that.

>He doesn't like trusting doctors

Isn't he meant to be a hardline atheist?

I mean, that does come with it's own array of stupidities, but "doesn't trust doctors" really shouldn't be one of them. That's a specific types of religious lunatic thing.

Willis isn't an atheist, he just hates Christianity in the mainstream because they are "the man"

Any person in a position of power Willis just hates because it reminds him of his mother

Not even kidding

I don't get it.

This happened.

Huh. Your art actually got a bit better while I was gone.

IT would be better if that still had the "it's ok if you see me" line.

>Josh/Jocelyn beating Malaya, Leslie, Sarah and Mary

I voted for Mary, Leslie, and Jocelyn out of spite.

Did it? I'm actually curious, since I just don't see it.

>I think the problem is that ASL is very difficult to portray in comics unless you're willing to devote a lot panels to it.

That's A problem, but it's not the critical problem here. He's not even using any actual ASL. It's badly rendered signed english, and I seriously doubt willis even understands the most basic differences between the two.

It's about as close as having a female japanese character and then casting Mad Thad to play the role.

hey, shes been bi since her first appearance in its walky

>it's dumbing of age of course she likes girls
nope! she already had her sexuality arc in shortpacked and found that she definitely does not like girls.
except ultra car, but robots dont count

mike is bi too and hes not a closet gay. just an asshole

what is the difference

She's going to rape he is she says no?

am i ever going to not fuck up a spoiler tag

Mike isn't bi, he's a fucking force of nature

That's stupid. You're stupid.
Stop being so stupid.

Also, you're technically correct, since Willis equates "bisexual" with "homosexual but pretending to be heterosexual". That is, they say that they're bi, but they're just gay and in denial.

that was what Mike said when people brought up he slept with Ethan in shortpacked, user.

don't shoot the messenger etc.

>You even know if she likes girls yet?
She's a character in this comic so chances are probably.

That's still stupid. Avoid stupidity for the sake of the rest of us, please.

we already know she doesnt

doesnt matter what he calls it, hes still bi

Someone commissioned me to do Joyce as Jotaro.

pretty cool

"you are already a lesbian"