Am I the only one who found this movie bad?

Am I the only one who found this movie bad?
Acting is great, sure, but it feels totally directionless, failing to conclude or present anything really. It's like acting for the sake of acting.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/xxxyoz_the-master-20-min-deleted-reel_shortfilms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>totally directionless
you mean like someone that wastes their life in a cult?

The Master is PTA's attempt at outing poseurs by making something utterly disjointed that vaguely resembles a narrative feature just enough that it confuses them into praising it out of fear for being labelled a pleb.

An intentionally terrible movie carefully emulating a masterpiece. A true work of genius. Why do you think the plot of the film involves a cult leader who feigns insight and brilliance but is secretly full of shit? It's a metaphor for the film itself.

tl;dr if you think The Master is actually good you're a "pleb"

It seems like it touches several themes, yet no theme is developed. It's vague as fuck. And while vagueness can serve a purpose, here it just serves to remind you you wasted 2 hours of your life.

Agreed

Interesting way to look at it, however I got a similar feeling while watching There Will Be Blood, even though I liked it better. I don't like this guy's style. It feels like style over substance.

there are many themes explored in the film and they're all developed to the point of not being overbearing or on the nose. i suppose it comes down to preference when it comes to whether or not someone thinks this film is good.
not him but that's a copypasta that's been posted here about the master for years.

>Movies need a beginning middle and end
>Movies need a directed narrative

Pleb filtered.

You're a pleb. Don't feel too bad, it's just how you were born. Maybe go watch Back to the Future?

PSH was great, but that's like saying grass is green

Fair enough.
Wow that's amazing insight and a very constructive post.

Sounds like you're just a brainlet who wouldn't understand the depth of emotion going on
better stick to capeshit

PTA is the absolute dictionary definition of entry level cinema. He not only steals from better directors, but he does it without any irony like Tarantino.

I am personally fine with it though. Because through PTA, all these freshmen college students will discover Robert Altman, who was the real deal. They will discover Scorsese, the most important American film director of our time, they will discover Kubrick, and the Coen Bros.

Through Altman, they will discover Renoir, through Kubrick, they will discover Ophuls, Scorsese to Fellini. Suddenly they realize PTA was just a child with no original thoughts in his head, that his films just revolve around quoting better directors while adding epic catch phrases like "I drink your milkshake!" and "Pig fuck!" Really there is no bigger clue in to how meaningless his cinema is when the only thing people discuss when mentioning his movies are 'le epic catch phrases, dude!'

You might say great artist steal, but what Picasso meant by this is that great artists are able to understand what works and manipulate it. PTA merely 'mimics'. This is why it is completely obvious who he is mimicking from film to film.

>disjointed
What if I told you that you were the pleb all along

But There Will Be Blood had a very clear theme and it was pretty heavy handed about it (captialism and religion r bad)

It wasn't vague at all

Acting is great, it looks great, but it just fails to tell a story properly in my opinion.

This film also has clear themes, but it doesn't develop them in a satisfying way.
However TWBB was more focused and thus enjoyable. This one tackles too many themes at once, it feels totally disjointed and superficial.

dont understand why I watched amy adams jerk off phillip seymour hoffman...

didn't understand this movie or its purpose.

im into art films, but surly characters with no cause is boring, which this movie was despite being hyped to hell as a masterpiece of cinema.

>fellini and ophlus
>not entry level
youre a fucking pleb my dude

It's a slow burn. You have to watch it a few times to really get into it. It certainly dosen't follow traditional plot structure

>with no cause
Funny, his cult is called "The Cause"

No, the whole world noticed when they saw it 5 years ago. That's it's only flaw.

It's not really "about" Scientology, cults or religion, it's about the relationship between Phoenix & Hoffman. Phoenix represents the "animal" side of humanity - he's focused on immediate, sensory pleasures, he wants to fuck women, fight men, and get drunk & high on liquor and chemicals, and that's about it.

Hoffman is the opposite - he wants to analyze and understand his own existence and the world around him. He's creative and intellectual, he builds an organization and focuses on long-term goals. But does he really "get it" on a deeper level than Phoenix? Throughout the film, other characters come to the realization that he's basically full of shit and making it all up as he goes. He does have good ideas and he does positive things, but all of that is muddled & damaged by his need to pretend that he understands much more than he really does.

And they basically fall in love with each other. They develop a friendship & mutual admiration, and they secretly want to swap places. Each one wishes he was more like the other one.

I agree that it's kind of underwhelming on first viewing because it doesn't really build up to a big "point" or message, it's just about comparing & contrasting two wildly different ways of living life and understanding the world.

This. Well-put user

It's one of the best films of the century so far. Even the deleted scenes are kino.

dailymotion.com/video/xxxyoz_the-master-20-min-deleted-reel_shortfilms

it's a masterpiece

>tl;dr if you think The Master is actually good you're a "pleb"
ITT: Wrong Opinions

I sorta agree, but strangely enough it didnt feel "bad" to me, its an interesting movie about an interesting topic with interesting characters.

But yeah it felt like it lacked a point.

I know this is pasta, but all artists "steal" from their influences. Scorsese is named here, and he made a 3-hour documentary naming all of the older films he "stole" from throughout his career.

What a pleb. Kill yourself.

Don't worry about the people calling you pleb
Most of them are IMDB drones that still hold ideals of the guy on the left of this image

I disliked it too. Biggest meh fest ever.

>meh fest
What made you think you'd like it? What did you expect when you sat down to watch this?

People who say things like this make me wonder what their idea of a masterpiece film is.

you're right its a bad movie

but a great film

Nothing, it was in my list of random movies that I torrented without knowing anything about them.

Acting? 10/10
Cinematography and straight up beauty of shots 10/10
Theme/structure 5/10
Fight scenes 10/10