Is there an objectively good Godzilla movie?

Is there an objectively good Godzilla movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/movies/films/godzilla.asp
youtube.com/watch?v=kRSLCABT4g0
youtube.com/watch?v=Yb6X_Ij6iic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Godzilla (2014)

Is that a serious answer? Convince me.

Yes all the heisei area movies

Godzilla vs Biollante has one of my all time favorite posters goddamn.

The original Japanese 1954 Godzilla and Shin Godzilla. Godzilla 2014 is well done too. The rest are niche guilty pleasures.

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah 1991

This

The king of monsters is based as fuck and doesn't have to defend himself to the likes of you.

There's only one good Heisei movie and that's Biollante. The rest are painfully mediocre at best. These movies also have some of the worst human characters of the series.

I've not seen Shin but I came here to post Godzilla 1954. It's a legitimately great movie with a wonderful score.

Anno did the monster justice. Second only to the Honda's Godzilla 54.

>Godzilla GMK is in there
>No Final Wars

Shin Godzilla was pretty good

>Inb4 muh too much characters
>Inb4 muh none character to relate to

Fuck off, normie

>There are retards that rate Final Wars same as GMK

Rodan just wanted to shoot some hoops :(

/thread

what went wrong?

Only these ones.

The original, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs. King Gidorah, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, and the 2014 American version.

Anguirus and Rodan buddy cop movie when???

Now this is what I call a miserable collection of movies. GRA and DAM are dull. Gigan is marred by endless stock footage. Megalon is embarrassingly bad and apologetically cheap. Final Wars is a tryhard mess. MechaGodzilla is the closest thing to a good film here.

>Godzilla (1954)
>Shin Godzilla
>GMK
>Mothra vs Godzilla
>Godzilla (2014)
Honorable Mentions go to
>Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster
>Godzilla vs Biollante
>King Kong vs Godzilla (Japanese Cut)

There's a Japanese cut of King Kong vs. Godzilla?

Biollante has one of the all time monster designs ever

Yes. Godzilla wins.

Oh shut up, that's a fucking myth that was disproven. They both end the same way: the two land in the water, Kong comes up, Godzilla remains under the ocean.

Fucking stop

snopes.com/movies/films/godzilla.asp

Who is the best Godzilla villain and why is it Megalon?

is that the chainsaw monster? or the one with the bug head

>>Godzilla (2014)
Godzilla (2014) is Godzilla Raids Again and Return of Godzilla tier. Forgettable.

All of you are pleb pieces of shit. This movie was my childhood and honestly still is my fav movie to this day.

>M-m-mojira

No. Fans will make out that the 1954 is, but it's not.

Fuck that shit! Destroy All Monsters!

The original is the best. The japanese version with subtitles. Not the shitty Raymond Burr version. That's fucking awful

Also the animated series was kino af

what did general audiences and critics mean by this?

No, it's a depressing chore to watch, exploitative if taken seriously, and the style is just Honda ripping off Kurosawa, before he came into his own pop art genius.

No, it's a bad, ponderous movie. A chore to watch. If it hadn't immediately led to a bunch of peppier, trashier sequels which achieved true cinematic brio and value, nobody would talk about it.
The Burr version at least has technical interest.

Keep going.

why though? Reno was a bro, blonde reporter girl was cute, monster design was fucking awesome iyam. I thought more people would appreciate it itt, is it a meme that it's a bad movie or smthng? I dont really care I hold fond memories of it.

The original is generally the best there is. The others are just series of gimmicks.

What more is there to say? People think because it's the "serious one" they should rate it, but it's not enjoyable to watch.

1954, GMK and Shin.

Gamera trilogy is better

No, the only reason people care about the original is that interesting, dynamic, enjoyable films followed it.

> Godzilla (1954)
> Bad
Enough that nonsense. Godzilla is the best thing to come out of this franchise and one of the best science-fiction films in cinema. Great cinematography, hauntingly beautiful score, and well acted and written. I love the characters (Yamane and Serizawa) and the specter of death interpretation of Godzilla. It really captures the paranoid of the post-WWII and early nuclear era. Sure you could pick out some imperfections, though overall it's an excellent film. It is perfectly enjoyable to watch and my personal favorite film overall.

Following close behind is Mothra vs Godzilla and Shin Godzilla.

>Pacific Rim Uprising after credits
>The current Jaeger cannot keep up with the growing kaiju
>We've finished developing the newest generation of Jaeger to turn the tables.
>Code named: Jet Jaguar

Fuck off, you ShinNiggers are a goddamn plague

No, of course it's not. Nothing you've stated in this post is a real opinion, it's just hyperbole and clichéd fan-wisdom phrases. The cinematography is murky to the point of being unenjoyable to look at, the score is routinely competent, you just don't watch any 50s movies that don't have guys in rubber suits in them so you have nothing to compare it to. It doesn't capture the "paranoid" of "the post-WWII and early nuclear era", it's about the well-founded fears about the effects of nuclear radiation felt by a population many of whom were *experiencing* them. That still doesn't make it particularly entertaining, or great art. It's a dirge of a film.

> Nothing you've stated in this post is a real opinion, it's just hyperbole and clichéd fan-wisdom phrases.
All of that is real opinion

> you just don't watch any 50s movies that don't have guys in rubber suits in them so you have nothing to compare it to
Wrong. I've seen plenty of older films and I've actually been marathoning them lately. Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), The Third Man, Dr Strangelove, Battleship Potemkin, War of the Worlds, and I could keep listing them. Lawrence of Arabia is next on my list if you're interested.

> cinematography is murky to the point of being unenjoyable to look at, the score is routinely competent
I strongly disagree.

> It doesn't capture the "paranoid" of "the post-WWII and early nuclear era", it's about the well-founded fears about the effects of nuclear radiation felt by a population many of whom were *experiencing* them.
My bad. Nuclear anxiety. Not paranoia. Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Tokyo firebombing, and Lucky Dragon Incident. Poor choice of words.

> That still doesn't make it particularly entertaining, or great art. It's a dirge of a film.
And I disagree. It's engaging and entertaining. You prefer the colorful and faster paced films that came later. Fair enough. But that doesn't make Gojira/King of the Monsters a terrible.

Hey reddit, you don't need a line break between greentext or the inline reply. When you post like this it outs you as a newfag that hasn't spent enough time lurking and is literally fresh off the boat. These are all bad things. Don't be a fucking tourist.

That's an interesting opinion.

'98 Godzilla is a shit Godzilla movie. But it's absolute 90's guilty pleasure kino.

Godzilla always won. Kong ran off like a scared little bitch.

>Gamera trilogy is better
Ye. The last four Gamera movies are better than most Godzilla movies.

Fuck Godzilla this is now a Gamera thread.

What went right?

Will they ever bring him back?

you posted the best one
youtube.com/watch?v=kRSLCABT4g0

Gamera the Brave is a fucking tumor because Totos design is fucking shit compared to Gamera 3's Gamera and motherfucking Irys

>Totos design is fucking shit
I love Gamera the Brave and I'll admit they made Gamera too "cute" for that one. Shame as the overall movie is great.

This thread needs more Gigan.

>All
>No Godzilla Returns poster

Godzilla was never good. At least not from a poetic standpoint. The only really beautiful meaning that can be taken from it is the symbolism. After it became a hit movie, it turn to shit as far as real meaning is concerned. Everything from that point is was just, "GODZILLA VS. X, GODZILLA VS. Y, GODZILLA VS. Z, REBOOT, REBOOT, REBOOT." Although the same is true for a lot of works of art. The moment they become a household name, and are therefor profitable, they magically turn into bullshit before your very eyes.

>I have never watched any Godzilla movies

I haven't watched Destroy all Monsters since I was a little kid but I remember it being the best shit ever.

I bet it actually sucked.

The Gamera Trilogy had some great music.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yb6X_Ij6iic

Godzilla 2014

Prove me wrong.

by the same guy who did the shadow of the colossus OST

>reddit spacing meme
You're either new or a child.

Shin Godzilla>Godzilla (2014)

It does. Basically an inferior retread of Monster Zero and the final battle isn't as exciting as the community has led many to believe. Most of the monsters don't participate and it wasn't even a fair match to begin with since Godzilla and Rodan are enough to repel Ghidorah on their own. It acquired its reputation due to the number of monsters and because it was difficult to obtain for a long period of time.

look at this failed movie critic

The one where he fights two giant Turks.

You couldn't get away with that kinda on the nose racial commentary in today's society.

original
Hedorah
GMK
Shin

The hilarious thing about Godzilla 1998, is that in terms of actual quality, it's actually probably one of the top 10 Godzilla films. It just has little to nothing to do with Godzilla. It's a fine monster movie on it's own.

Everyone forgets that 90% of Godzilla franchise is absolutely hilariously bad D-grade shit. I would watch Godzilla 1998 over like Final Wars any day.