PLOT TWIST: Obama made the IRANIANS pay a ransom

bigstory.ap.org/article/9235cf883bf948279de653a030e23d26/us-says-400m-payment-was-contingent-release-prisoners

Backstory: In 1979, the US froze all Iranian assets. At the time they had paid $400 million for military equipment, which the Pentagon later re-sold, and so the two countries--with international agreement--agreed that the US would repay the $400m should relations ever be normalized.

Now: The Iran Nuclear Deal ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Comprehensive_Plan_of_Action ) included exactly which assets would be unfrozen, and the US was going to pay Iran back... but we demanded they also release their hostages, or they wouldn't get a cent despite the agreement.

IRAN BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

wsj.com/articles/iran-sues-u-s-in-international-court-over-frozen-assets-1466027629
youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M
wsj.com/articles/nuclear-deal-would-allow-iran-to-boost-centrifuges-after-10-years-1428170903
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump, pretty major news guys

This is well known to anyone who was following the story on anything but Breitbart

Bump

I love how they are trying to spin this like THEY had IRAN by the balls.

In a ransom kind of stand off like this whomever has the most valued thing possesses the leverage.

Iran could have said "fuck the money we're keeping your men."

The U.S. Could NOT have said "fuck our men, we're keeping your money."

All I saw was the media shilling it all as a total coincidence, so I assumed it was just government incompetence in the timing, or something more corrupt going on. Not this; I guess I overthought it.

The nuclear deal was made using the international court system. Iran had the leverage of taking us to court over this.

You have to spin a lot harder than that to rotate this place.

Would probably work on normiebook with your script though.

Anyone else sick of brietbart shills spamming Sup Forums?

If it was all on the up and up, why did they launder the money into Swiss Francs?

Answer: because it was against U.S. law to do any business with Iran.

Doesn't matter what retarded madeup new policy you want to name it. It was illegal.

Wtf I love obama now

what

I don't think even the law about US currency transfered to Iran mattered, since this was part of the nuclear deal agreed to by both. Openly for everyone to see.

>openly for everyone to see
>laundered $USD into Swiss Francs and other currencies to avoid U.S. law, put the cash on a plane in pallets, landed in the middle of the night
Try harder, Josh Earnest. Iran is telling us it was a hostage payment. The original story out of the White House was it was part of a larger $1.7 billion payment, now they say it's actually a great deal because look at all the money we saved! It's like you clowns think the American people are completely mindless. We aren't.

Explain how laundering the money into Swiss Francs and other currencies was necessary if this was on the up and up.

The media sure was shilling the coincidence angle, because they thought they caught Trump shooting himself in the foot again. I don't like the orange bastard but he called this one right. I wonder what his response will be since he already back peddled on the issue.

The fact Iran was awarded the cash in international court is an interesting angle to this as well.

If it was basically ransom does that mean the U.S. was willing to say "fuck the courts ruling" if they didn't hand over the troops? I'm not sure wether that's respectable or shitty in this situation.

What court? Where is evidence of any of this?

The deal was open for everyone to see. It always has been. This was publically part of that deal. The plane in the middle of the night was because we had to be swift since ... we were ransoming them.

"Fuck your money, we're invading you" would be the only appropriate American response tbqh.

Lmao

This wasnt open for anyone to see. Nobody even knew about it at all until Iran started bragging about how they got ransom for American hostages.

wsj.com/articles/iran-sues-u-s-in-international-court-over-frozen-assets-1466027629

That didnt say anything about $400 million in Swiss Francs and other currencies in cash on pallets in the middle of the night in exchange for hostages.

Hmmm I wonder what someone would call that....

>believing in an international court

No bank would risk falling afoul of US sanctions by facilitating the transfer of cash via the banking system, that's why.

"American officials say the only option was to wire the first installment to European banks and withdraw the cash for delivery." And so it was Swiss Francs.

As if we couldn't come up with a plan to rescue them so long as a test pilot didn't go full retard and use the rocket breaks before he was on the ground.

Exactly. Obama acted in violation of U.S. law. That's been my point the entire time.
No, the President is not above the law and no, he cannot act unilaterally in violation of U.S. law in his dealing with foreign countries.
Congress makes the rules. The President plays by them. Unless you're Obama. Which is why we dislike him so much. Absolute lawlessness like this has never been seen in the White Houseml.

Damn i dont even remember interrogating that guy but i immediately knew it was la noire. No other game has faces that look like that

>The Russians did it!
>The Iranians did it!

Democrats sure enjoy making enemies.

Our militaries boat was in their nations waters when they were captured plus Irans military would be so easily toppled.

This whole thing has been an embarrasing cluster fuck for the U.S.

So what would have happened if the US didn't pay the $400 million?

What would anyone or country do about it?

The US isn't a even a member of the ICC, so likely Iran would have just accused the US of breaking the nuclear deal.

And since the nuclear "deal" holds no lower under U.S. law since it isn't a treaty, big whoop.

Worst deal ever negotiated. Can anyone name one thing we got out of it?

A delay in the inevitable war with Iran and possibly some Intel on their nuclear facilities.

Iran agreed to the world to never again seek nuclear weapons, in perpetuity. I think that is worth something.

Lmao
"We totally swear, guys. Thanks for the $150 billion and permission to continue our nuclear program!"

youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

"If Iran violates the agreement, any of the P5+1 can invoke a "snap back" provision, under which the sanctions "snap back" into place (i.e., are reimplemented).[51][52][93]

Specifically, the JCPOA establishes the following dispute resolution process: if a party to the JCPOA has reason to believe that another party is not upholding its commitments under the agreement, then the complaining party may refer its complaint to the Joint Commission, a body created under the JCPOA to monitor implementation.[53][94] If a complaint made by a non-Iran party is not resolved to the satisfaction of the complaining party within thirty-five days of referral, then that party could treat the unresolved issue as grounds to cease performing its commitments under the JCPOA, notify the United Nations Security Council that it believes the issue constitutes significant non-performance, or both.[94] The Security Council would then have thirty days to adopt a resolution to continue the lifting of sanctions. If such a resolution is not adopted within those thirty days, then the sanctions of all of the pre-JCPOA nuclear-related UN Security Council resolutions would automatically be re-imposed. Iran has stated that in such a case, it would cease performing its nuclear obligations under the deal.[42][94] The effect of this rule is that any permanent member of the Security Council (United States, United Kingdom, China, Russia and France) can veto any ongoing sanctions relief, but no member can veto the re-imposition of sanctions."

It's literally UN veto proof. Probably the literal most effective nuclear weapon deterrant that will ever be imposved in our lifetimes.

The main problem is this: under the deal, Iran can continue its nuclear program. Then, in 10 years, when the deal is up, they make a bomb. It's really that simple. 10 years from now they are guaranteed to have the technology to easily assemble a bomb. And the UN inspectors watched them develop it and the U.S. paid for it to the tune of $150 billion

It is true that technology would advance in that time, but it still would have before, wouldn't it?

The agreement to not make weapons doesn't expire after 10 years, though.

Obama is a cuck and wouldn't do shit.

It's been four or five years since his "red line" in Syria.

10 years is the point at which they can "ramp up" their enrichment and we provide them with even more advanced centrifuged than they ever had in the first place

wsj.com/articles/nuclear-deal-would-allow-iran-to-boost-centrifuges-after-10-years-1428170903

You dont seem like a shill. Really read up on this deal, buddy. It's a terrible deal that was carried out in a completelt illegal manner in shady backrooms

got an archive link? Yours is paywalled.

>we paid Iran $400 million for 4 Muslims

Are we the new cuck kings?

No, I dont. I hate WSJ for that.

There should be other sources talk about the way the deal was structured in tiers, though. There are certain points where we give them more and more and they are allowed to do more and more until by the end of the thing, they have a bomb-building capacity that they never had before the deal. We literally handed them the tech to make a bomb and made them promise not to make a bomb with it.

>Be Obama
>See my good buddy Trudeau
>Ask him how the best country on Earth is doing
>He tells me his wife and kids were culturally enriched with one of them losing their heads.
>He laughs at how much Canada's winning.
>I have a hearty chuckle as well. Things aren't going so good for me.
>Donald's been in the white house for only 3 days, and we've lost against ISIS, Iran, China, Mexico, and all other forward thinking nations.
>Mfw America is losing with every dead practitioner of the religion of peace.
>Mfw we'll never win like Canada ever in our history.
>Mfw Trudeau refuses to let me and my family crash on his couch, as we're national fugitives for trying to start WWIII.

Alright, I'll find a way to check it out.

I'm heading off now, thanks for not calling me a jew ctr shill.

Not get involved in agreements with the US ever again.

Why do Americans seem to be so misinformed about anything concerning Iran? When you look at comments on news articles it's like most don't even know that the $1.7 billion was our money to begin with.

Because Americans are very very stupid.

He did the right thing in Syria, got rid of its chemical weapons without getting you into another war. You don't deserve him as a president.

melbourne seriously needs its own flag on this board.

Chemical weapons are still being used in Syria. Seems like they care more about barrel bombs than chemical weapons.

It was Obama who wanted to send troops to Syria.