Just watched Up! for the first time

Just watched Up! for the first time.

How in fuck is this considered one of, if not the best animated film of all time and won all the awards it did?

Sure it's first 5 minutes is nice, then the rest of the film is absolute fucking garbage. I just saw the film and I can barely even remember anything about it that stuck aside from the opening 5 minutes and the closing 5.

You answered your own question. It pulled exactly the right heartstrings to achieve the required feels.

Wall E is Pixar's best, I don't get why that one didn't get the same praise

If you can get nu-males and white women to love something, they will browbeat everyone else into accepting it as good too, basically. So if you can trick them that a man who lived a good long life with his loving wife, is actually a really sad story, and make their sniffle a little bit between texting on their phone, then ta-dah you've made an emotionally mature animated movie the whole family can enjoy!

Agreed.

Even the first 5 minutes are super generic, safe melodrama. The whole movie is so mawkish and lacking in nuance it's amazing people even manage to sit through it.

Dude consumerism is Bad lmao
don't forget to buy Cars 3 on blu-ray dvd, and for a limited time, new Dory plush dolls that your little girl will love

dude no argument lmao

Pixar legit have like legit 3 good films

Toy Story 1, Wall-E and The Incredibles.

If Marvel/Disney didn't exist, Pixar would easily be the most overrated studio of all time.

yes user, pixar is beyond criticism

Even the normies admit Pixar has had a steady fall from grace since Wall-E. They're overrated because unlike other studios they can only release one film or so a year. So, good to shit ratio, they're still better than average.

i've ended up crying like bitch the day after i saw this film man. it's the overflowing feels i guess. i agree tho, only memorable and worthy thing about that film was the first 5 minutes or so.

Toy Story trilogy, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, and Monsters Inc. are the best Pixar films imo

DreamWorks has beaten Pixar in recent years imo.

Good opinion, Dreamworks exec, I agree

Have they even made anything worth watching lately other than How to Train a Dragon?

Kung Fu Panda 3 was fun to look at.

There's no exclamation mark.

It's just "Up".

It still baffles me how everyone is so moved by the first 10 minutes or whatever. We get this abridged story of some dorky couple and then the wife dies of old age... So what? There's no big tragic event, the 10 minutes they show us aren't even enough to get emotionally invested in the characters, who gives a shit honestly. Are millennials just emasculated pussies? I can't think of any other explanation

It showed how every dream the couple shared was broken by life being a cruel asshole to them.

>actually having dreams
That's what you get, serves them right desu

Up! Is a very different movie to Up

>So what? There's no big tragic event, the 10 minutes they show us aren't even enough to get emotionally invested in the characters

Because it uses the format of an animated movie where people feel safe to see the entire life and hopes and dreams of the protagonist be built and crushed within 5 minutes.

It pulls back the curtain on the conceit of 99% of entertainment, that life is a story that has a purpose and that everyone has their arc, and shows us the reality we all know in our heart is true. There's no happy endings, there's no story arc for you, you eat you shit you make plans and you die.

And that's all there is. She doesn't come back to guide him. There's no special moment where the clouds form her face and make him push on. There is nothing.

By the end of the story you're supposed to feel elated by the bookend of him placing something in the book, but the reality of an old man going through life with unfulfilled dreams and a love lost forever nags at you long afterwards.

It nags on you because it reminds you that this is your life too. And you just wasted 2 hours on watching an animated movie where the real story was 5 minutes in and you sat through the rest looking for hope enough to make you forget.

ITT: idiots with dumbass opinions you shoudl ignore

OH sorry, it's not fury road.... It actually had a fantastic plot with incredible character arcs.

dont do this to me

>it's first 5 minutes is nice, then the rest of the film is absolute fucking garbage
MY SENTIMENTS, EXACTLY

sound more like your brain is fucked up from consuming too much alcohol

It helps if you have a loving family and a good set of close (non internet) friends around you. Suddenly that whole "perspective" thing comes into play that you may have read about on a wikipedia philosphy article once.

yeah no kid to protect or villain to thwart or anything.

>"it helps if you're forced to put on a mask to appeal to people around you"
>not having peer pressure is bad now

fuck off outta here mate

Because Doug is the most adorable character ever conceived.

I actually enjoyed Up all the way through but the one thing that bugs me is the villain. How old was Charles Muntz by that time? Carl looks to be late 60s or so. Shouldn't Muntz be in his mid-90s at least?

Critics don't watch kids' movies. They just upvote based on what their kids liked.

>that your little girl will love
Where can I get one of those? Is there a store out there?

Monsters inc, incredibles, ratatouille, toy story 2, and finding nemo are the best pixar mobies

If kids liked Up then I'm impressed

They seemed to like WALL-E too which caught me off-guard, I really thought they'd grow impatient with the laboured pacing but I've heard more complaints from BrBa """fans""" about BCS

This comment makes it seem like you have the emotional intelligence of somebody with autism.

Up is one of my own favourites personally. The opening is solid and worked on its own, but that's not what does it for me.
Some old guy that society is trying to push away from the only thing he has, to which he refuses in order to try and live out the dream he and his late wife shared, unwillingly taking a kid without a dad that gives a fuck about him, considering he never got to have a kid of his own despite his desire to. Finding out that your childhood hero is a cunt. But not letting time stop you from achieving what you always wanted.
But if you didn't like it, oh well, you don't have to like everything that others do and others don't have to like everything you do.

Inside Out is undoubtedly Pixar's best film.

People just suck Pixar mindlessly as long as it's sappy. Cars 2 wasn't and just tried to be a fun thing, people hated it.