Star Trek

Is anybody looking forward to Star Trek Discovery?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No

I'm looking forward to it crashing and burning.

Not really, I'm tired of pre-TOS stuff.

Is this the gay one? He looks gay.

no, John, Starfleet does not write the names of their ships in Helvetica. you should know this, considering you are the only guy designing things for this show who has worked on Star Trek before.

No
I've nearly finished ENT and it's 4th season will shit on whatever crap CBS will put out

One of the few designs that actually look alright.

Hope for the best, expect the worst

Sure I hope it will be good, always give Trek a chance. I don't care what the autists on this board say about it. Or anything else for that matter.

First post, most accurate post.

I don't think anyone is excited to watch a Star Trek flavored version of The Expanse, especially one lead by a hack like Kurtzman.

It's like star wars. The more they bitch the more likely they are to pirate it anyway.

random black lead and milking a brand everyone knows is just trying to suck out money

i wont watch this

Not really.

>especially one lead by a hack like Kurtzman.

If rumors are true he is involved in name only, just a producer credit due to legal reasons.

why do starships need to be aerodynamic?
there's no friction in space

one thing I liked about the borg - cubes

hell ya nigga yooz a fuggin p'tak

>why do starships need to be aerodynamic?
>there's no friction in space

Landing and take off are probably relevant for smaller ships.

Yes, because of Bryan Fuller.

It probably won't be as good as Hannibal, but if it's better than American Gods it will certainly be worth watching

Well we already know the showrunners are two of Fuller's disciples. Kurtzman is in a role similar to what he did on Fringe, gets the project off the ground and then will probably be less directly involved as it goes on.

Obviously I'm going to check it out but it's not doing a very good job of getting me hyped. Everything looks so bland and derivative. I like Star Trek for weird aliens and strange sci fi concepts/plots about morality and ethics, not muh war with the Klingons. Orville looks closer to what I like, probably because Seth Macfarlane actually gets the appeal of Star Trek.

You know what would be funny, is if Seth Macfarlane's parody show ends up beating it in the ratings.

DSC has Doug fucking Jones playing an alien crew member, can we make him the main character?

Orville is on Fox, DSC is behind a paywall, how the fuck would it NOT beat it in ratings?

its shit. Enough of the JJ abrhams star trek. Bring back the next generation era.

The Expanse is way better than this shit looks

What is this picture supposed to convey?

>star trek discovery is actually being made
wait wtf

All the crew wear the same uniform to save money. That's an example of what it would look like if they gave a fuck

I thought it was Star Trek flavored version of Battlestar Galactica

Yes, I am.

Alex Kurtzman is actually the reason that I'm optimistic for Discovery.

Kurtzman is a piece of shit, but his continued involvement proves that Midnight's Edge (the source for all the negative rumors about STD) is an even bigger piece of shit, since they wouldn't be reporting that he was fired if they had contact with even one single person working on the show.

>Yes, because of Bryan Fuller.

Eh, Bryan Fuller was fired due to differences with CBS CEO (((Les Moonves))) about what Star Trek Discovery should be, and has made it clear that he has nothing to do with the show anymore.

>fired due to differences with CBS CEO (((Les Moonves))) about what Star Trek Discovery should be
I know that he left, but can you post a source that he was fired and this was the reason?

These Klingons are racist as fuck.

No.
>gouging my wallet
>agenda driven narrative
>Kurtzman's fingerprints
>lessons learned from Trek anything over the past decade

Not even pir8 unless universal love reports

His ass. Did the parentheses not give it away?

AYO !!!

>agenda driven narrative

How? Please have a better answer than a bunch of buzzword revolving around the main character is black.

Why not have the uniforms in black ? Black and gold contrast is always the masterace

name a tv series or film that isn't agenda driven these days.

That wasn't an answer.

I consider everything agenda driven these days save for a few auteur films, or independent films. It is an answer, now its your turn to tell me what isn't agenda driven.

name a TV series or film that isn´t agenda driven on the entire story.

but star trek always had an agenda

Star Trek always had a leftist agenda

I mean there's often a theme or message, especially in Star Trek, I guess I can't deny that. My question was more about what you think the narrative is.

>they're warriors!
>make em black
>but like, noble samurai warriors
>then give em slanty eyes

>read that voyager is bad
>watch it
>it's actually quite decent

have I been memed?

if they cite the lizard episode.

*activates your Reset Button*

Never Forgetti

I'm a milennial, ldest thing I watched is Godzilla(I loved it) and Planet of the Apes(also loved it).The oldest tv show I watched is Twin Peak and despite the cheesy stuff I also liked it.I want to watch some sci/fi with world building, different species and different places so I can see something interesting.Should I watch Star Trek from the start?

Yes.

I heard they had to ass fuck the source material due to legal reasons.

CBS, Viacom, and JJ Abrams all have a stake in the content, so they have to completely change everything.

So there's the Prime Timeline (Rodenberry's), Kelvin Timeline (tiny jew doing Star Wars), and this is...... what? Tumblr Timeline?

You heard wrong. It's Prime Timeline.

But user, ENT is the only show canon anymore

ITS BEEN A LONG ROAD

The setting wasnn't used to its full potential and yeah there are continuity errors out the ass (writers literally forgot they didn't kill off a few characters who hadn't been in the show for a while). Other than that, no it's not as bad as everyone makes out. Just doesn't have as many strong characters as TNG or DS9. But The Doctor is based as fuck and they unintentionally added another great character when it turned out the eyecandy in the catsuit could act.

GETTIN FROM THERE TO HEREEEEE

>premise is one isolated ship all on its own without any resupplies
>they actually have infinite resources and the ship is always 100% clean and repaired at the beginning of each episode
>premise is two conflicting crews forced to work together
>there's a mild disagreement in "Learning Curve" and then they get along perfectly in the other 175 episodes
>developed as the flagship of the UPN network, which will air the episodes in order
>the executive producer forbids character development and serialization, because that *might* hurt the chances for syndication (where episodes *might* be aired out of order)
Voyager is Wasted Potential: The Series.

And then of course there's the little things that you read about years later, like the executive producer not knowing the difference between Koreans and Chinese, or the executive producer hiring an Armenian scam artist to be the Native American writing advisor, or the executive producer ordering the actors of humans to act wooden while aliens are in the room (because they thought Neelix would be the breakout star), or them hiring Jeri Ryan because Brannon Braga wanted to sleep with her (and he did), or Kate Mulgrew harassing Jeri Ryan on the set for stealing the spotlight, or the producers firing Jennifer Lien for no reason at all and her life fell apart and she got fat and did drugs and went to jail. Those make for A+++++ memes.

> the only music from the 20th century to last through the centuries was 80s power ballads

Never saw that coming.

nice horn pupper

m.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA

ENT deserved 7 seasons
Season 1-2 were alright, trying to get its own formula down and bogged down in temporal cold war wankery and that suliban shit

Season 3 blew the entirety of Voyager out of the fucking water by doing the same premise a thousand times better.

Season 4 was some incredible shit, fucking 3 parters about Khans augments out the ass and decent bottle episodes.

>tfw we will never live in the "Harry Kim gets fired" timeline

I R da niggest

>there's no friction in space
Wrong. There isn't much friction in space, but it's there, and if you go with a cube design and your navigational deflectors fail then particulate matter will impart all its force onto your ship instead of being deflected off. You also couldn't execute an emergency planetary landing in a cube.

> the episode where the Ferengi pirates try to rob Enterprise blind and kidnap all the women for sex slavery
> the episode where T'pol is sold into Orion slavery
> the episode where 7 million humans are wiped put by a Windows xp screen saver

We will also never live in the "Harry Kim gets promoted" and "Garrett Wang is given permission to direct an episode" timeline.

No. I can't follow a black female main character. I just can't relate. I'm sick of white males being pushed out of media created primarily for white males and I do not wish to support it.

Let's not mince words, 1-2 was garbage

> the episode where Archer cuts off Jeffrey Comb's andorian antenna with an ice pick
> that episode where they spend 3 fucking weeks trying to get to Risa
> that episode where Romulan false flaggers try to cause a war between andorians and Tellerites
> that episode where Archer discovers the vulcans have converted a sacred temple into a surveillance station.
> that mirror 2 parter with USS Defiant from TOS

Always keks me the fuck up that Tom got promoted, demoted and promoted again while Harry gets nothing. I mean shit, you can still make him lieutenant just not a senior one. If he's not a department head then he still has to take orders from those who are and the first (chipotle), second (tuvok) and third (tom?) officers. The command chain is still there, it just means when he's bossing around ensigns he could do it with a rank behind it.

>But we gave you a gay white man and an evil white man :(
Fuck this show, when will studio producers notice the difference between the number of people that praise their shitty diverse movies on twitter and the number of people that actually watch them?

Farscape, Firefly, the Expanse, and Space Above and Beyond should each be moved up one level.

SG-1, Red Dwarf, and Voyager should be moved down one level.

1-2 was better that post season 2 Voy save for Year of hell

I'm glad we are setting the bar so high

I started watching TOS again lately. Super comfy show, and just the right amount of cute 60s women

>It's a Harry gets promoted episode
>It's a "lol that wasn't really Harry and he's dead now episode" too

Yes Tom was Third Officer. God knows who was before him seeing as thry didn't fully trust him until midway through season 1.

Can't you wait for it to come out before deciding that he's evil?

>std

This show is going to be space AIDS.

I wish he didn't die just to see Ensign Kim's new assignment in Star Fleet is under the command of Capt Nog: decorated wounded war veteran.

how do I write an original space sci fi story
everything feels like it's been done

They've announced he's evil

>a steely Federation Starship Captain who’s considered a brilliant military tactician

Can't compare it to anything else, ENT has a much different style than TNG as there is much more tension that NX Enterprise can easily be blown apart while Galaxy class enterprise is much more relaxed and more about Diplomacy and exploration rather than war fighting and attempting exploration.
DS9 isn't even comparable, so it falls to Voyager

There's two gays. He's gay with the other gay guy.

Kim was too good at his job. Everyone was afraid to promote him out of the powerless lacky position.

That's not evil. Even Kirk is a brilliant military tactician.

For post voyager era, sure.

he'll be based and will do nothing wrong

looks like john eaves can only design TNG era ships because that's what this pretty much is

It looks like a follow-up to the NX-01. I'm fine with that, since we'll be getting rid of it after the pilot anyway.

>Kirk is a brilliant military tactician
That's the point, they didn't say "is", they said "considered", to imply he isn't. And Kirk isn't "steely".

>coldly determined; hard.
>synonyms: cruel, unfeeling, merciless, ruthless, pitiless, heartless, hard-hearted, hard, stony, cold-blooded, cold-hearted, harsh, callous, severe, unmerciful, unrelenting, relentless, unpitying, unsparing, unforgiving, uncaring, unsympathetic, uncharitable, lacking compassion, remorseless, unbending, unmoved, inflexible, inexorable, implacable, unremitting

>That's not evil
Then what is?

It's in the Borg have overrun everything in the future timeline from the prime timeline, sure.

>Then what is?
In season 2, if he crashlands on Antos IV and renames himself Garth of Izar, then I'll call him evil.

As for season 1, I think you're just projecting.

>Well we already know the showrunners are two of Fuller's disciples.

I suspect they are more of Moonves followers as they are still involved. They need to make living.

>Kurtzman is a piece of shit,

He might be bit less responsible for shitfests that JJ-movies have been as writing credit implies, it could be that he is one of few involved that understands the trek and Jar Jar and studio execs are ones that pushed for action schlock that Jar Jar films were.

Discovery has no visual "flow" with its aesthetic choices
You have 24th C ships, with JJ interiors, with 23rd C tech, and then Gothic cathedral Klingon ships with some Egyptian thrown in.

>They lost at least ten shuttles and possibly as many as seventeen. This does not count the Delta Flyer. The closest to an official number is the never-published Voyager Technical Manual, which says only 2 shuttles, 4 shuttlepods, and the AeroWing under the saucer.

The "flow" is that it transitions from JJshit in the pilot (USS Shenzhou) to classic Trek in the series itself (USS Discovery).

Compare and contrast the two transporter rooms. This looks nothing like Star Trek.