Why can't American filmmakers stage good fight scenes anymore...

Why can't American filmmakers stage good fight scenes anymore? why do they always rapid-fire edit fistfights to cut on the hit every single time now? it fucks with the flow of action and makes it look like a confusing mess. the worst offenders are Suicide Squad and Guardians of the Galaxy 1

pic related is a good movie with well-shot fight scenes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gCKhktcbfQM
youtube.com/watch?v=cvkvPmHRI7E
youtube.com/watch?v=t1WWDBTda2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=krcN7Qfthjc
youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OfmK0Og_7Os
youtube.com/watch?v=A9q3l9_th-8
youtube.com/watch?v=nHX0QGGtSQY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck man you must be a bitch. Those aren't the worst offenders.

if you slow them down enough and watch just for the cuts, they're pretty bad.

Its easier to just do 6 different cuts for one punch, and its not like most people will look up from their popcorn long enough to care.

Name one memorable action scene from Suicide Squad

They're bad but you have to remember the Taken movies exist.

youtu.be/gCKhktcbfQM

I...what.

fuck, even the comedic street fighter scene from City Hunter has better editing.

youtube.com/watch?v=cvkvPmHRI7E

Someone hasn't seen Kingsman.

youtube.com/watch?v=t1WWDBTda2Y

American filmmakers still have some fight left in them

OP here, saw Kingsman twice, loved it.
I specifically didn't mention that because it's an exception to the rule.

Because actors who are also highly trained in martial arts and stage fighting are getting less and less common. Actors today don't go through as much training as the ones of the past (who tended to usually have some theater experience), and movie schedules are extremely tight, so it makes more sense to film a scene with lots of cuts and have the editing drive the fight, rather than the actors.

But seriously though, actors need to step up their fucking game and actually train for their profession.

>But seriously though, actors need to step up their fucking game and actually train for their profession.
damn right they do. As much as this board shits on Star Wars, at least their people train with lightsabers. IIRC Sheev and Sam Jackson had to film their Ep 3 fight scene without doubles because their stunt doubles were sick

Hollywood has been completely overrun with nepotism. Everybody involved is too spoiled to bother doing anything well.

its a fuckin shame.

I will say swordfighting choreography is slowly improving somewhat, since HEMA is becoming more and more aware to the public. It's still not as fun as, say, Captain Blood or Prisoner of Zenda, but there's progress being made.

John Wick 1 and 2 don't do that though.

How about John Wick?

plebs
youtube.com/watch?v=krcN7Qfthjc

youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ
Related, more than the title suggests.

Because laziness. These are the same people who thought all those reality bending scenes in Doctor Strange was a great idea but didn't have the time to utilize Yuri Boyka for one decent fight scene

The Bourne movies influenced a lot of people, they had a lot of jumpcuts but it was tolerable. Then everyone tried to copy it and just made retarded shakycam jump cut bullshit. I can't stand it either. Hold the camera still you fucking mongoloids.

As much as people shit on the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight for being ridiculous; I honestly loved that high paced anime-esque shit. It was the one time I felt like I was actually watching two reasonably powerful magical dudes going at it with their all rather than just a pure CGI spectacle like modern capeshit does for its action scenes.

The fact that they didn't speed it up or use doubles for it at all still impresses the fuck out of me to this day.

The fight scene between Bourne and Desh in Ultimatum was God-tier.

Americans think they're too good for martial artist actors ala jcvd or michael jai white. Meanwhile hong kong action films have starred nothing but pop stars and martial artist actors for decades now.

Even in the post hong kong handover period that produced films like kill bill and the matrix, actors were expected to do a lot of their own stunts.

The first Expendables was guilty of this, especially during the Jet Li-Dolph Lundgren fight. Then Lundgren does a VOD/DTV movie with Tony Jaa and has a fight scene with him that eclipses that in quality, with only a fraction of the budget.

Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning youtube.com/watch?v=OfmK0Og_7Os

There is a ton of really good American fight scenes just they're usually not that large budget and fly below the radar.

youtube.com/watch?v=A9q3l9_th-8

When a low/mid range budget shows like daredevil and arrow can have better fights than there is a problem.

The duel between Darth Maul against Obi Wan and Qui Gon was the premier duel of the prequel trilogy, why can't we get more of that?

>Uwais
>Adkins
>Michael Jai White
>Tony Jaa
Good thing they're making this
youtube.com/watch?v=nHX0QGGtSQY

had me a good chuckle, thanks user.

if that isn't kino, than i don't know what is.
micheal needs to play jax again

Shit, that looks fucking sweet.
Also, anyone named "Tiger Chen" is clearly not to be fucked with.

That's actually really smooth. I'm impressed. It looks like they used that "zoom to black" Hitchcock editing technique.

Which one was the last big budget Hollywood film that actually had good fights?

Winter Soldier is the best one I can think of, even though it was over-edited.

somebody post some Wonder Woman webms, I need a good chuckle

>Tiger Chen
I'm glad he's getting another movie. Felt like he was not used much in Man of Tai Chi

>Kingsman

>American

>pic related is a good movie with well-shot fight scenes
But the fight scene in that picture was fucking terrible. Just as soulless and over-choreographed as the lightsaber fights in the Star Wars prequels.

Because fight choreography like that takes a lot of time to plan and shoot so it ends up being expensive in terms of time and manpower, so they'd rather just throw bullshit at the screen in post production even though it ends up costing the same if not more and looks worse.

But they can start 'post producing' the fight sequences before the movie is even done filming

>why do they always rapid-fire edit fistfights to cut on the hit every single time now?

the simple answer is because the actors can't fight. they try to get choreographers to train them but it simply doesn't translate for the actors and getting stunt doubles to do the whole fight is just as jarring as quick cutting.

long cuts are a sign that the actors can actually follow the choreography.

>Kingsman
>good

It's capeshit in a slightly different coat