Can any Frenchy tell me if my name is French? My name is Joan, but it's pronounced Joe-ahn...

Can any Frenchy tell me if my name is French? My name is Joan, but it's pronounced Joe-ahn. I get asked alot if it's French, I genuinely do not know.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_d'Arc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Isn't that a girl's name?

n-no.

The French equivalent is Jeanne. You probably have Norman French ancestors.

Post feet

It is a girls name ;(

Many French men do have girly names.

Why do the French have disgusting fetishes?

Names can be unisex like Sasha or Zhenya.
Nothing wrong with having such name, right?

Closest french name would be Yohan.

Actually we don't because Romance languages have gendered names. Jean/Jeanne, Gabriel/Gabrielle, Lucie/Lucien, Julie/Julien...

Damn. So what is it then? Is my name just words put together and spelled out completely different than it sounds?

Jeanne and Yohan share the same Hebrew root, but Jeanne is the direct translation of Joan.

What's your ethnic background? It might be créolized version of the French name originally from Haïti or the French Carribean.

Is Joan pronounced Jeanne in French or something else?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_of_Arc
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_d'Arc

Joan doesn't exist as a word in French, but I guess the English pronunciation is closer to how Yohan is pronounced in French.

What about the likes of Michele, which I always hear being pronounced Michelle (a girly name). Many French male given names have a girly pronunciation.

Not necessarily. Joan is John in Catalan.

So just the English version of the French name with biblical origins.

Michel and Michèle are only pronounced the same way because people are too lazy to pronounce the "è" and the "le". They're not very popular names nowadays anyway.

Well, my ancestry is mostly Spain.

>Joanis mainly afemalename in the English and French languages, but a male name inDutch; also Joan (/ʒuˈan/, /d͡ʒoˈan/) is a male name inCatalanandOccitan.[a]It is related to the namesJohn,Jane,Jean,Jeanne,Johan,Joanna,Juan,João,Ivana, Jovan, Jovana, Ioan, Ioana, Jan, Jann, Yanne, Jouan, Ivan, andSiobhán.

Huh, is joan pronounced Joe-ahn in Catalan?

>Romance languages

I didn't know these existed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages