Cast it

Cast it

this book is so fucking boring i swear to god book 2 onwards better be gods gift after what i'm going through

Pleb, GotM is a good as fuck read, you just seem like a spastic who needs constant ackshun in his books. I for one, am enjoying it so far

It gets better a lot of people dont like the first one. Just finished my second read through of the series and it was better than my first.

The first malazan book is based on a botched movie script and it's all over the place.
They second book is significantly better.
Many fans recommend to skip altogether the first book and to start the series directly from the second.

Idris Elba

Really? Fuck I actually like the first book a lot. If that's the case then then I'm fucking hyped to read the rest of the series too

Checked. This is usually b8, but I actually think Elba would make a good Kalam, if he's in the right age range still to play him

Shit meant to reply to

It's really not, problem with GotM is that it really front loads you with too much information AND it's a lot clearer in retrospective when things you don't yet know how important they are get explained. It's a dense book that tries to do too many things at once.

second book is much more traditional in structure, but you also have to deal with an entire new cast of characters. chain of dogs really hits you, though.

I mean, can you blame Whiskeyjack?

>malazan
>getting better
lul
As someone who has stuck with both Erikson and Bakker, I can tell you you're wasting your time.

He'd probably play a pretty decent Anomander.

Tiste Andii are supposed to look more like Drow aren't they? There are blacks in Malazan, but they're the Seven Cities peopel

How did they go from brutally killing each others' armies to fucking again?

I only read the first 4 books and when I realized 5 starts with entirely new characters in a new place I gave him. You need the wiki open just to follow anything in this series.

Quick Ben

bakker is fucking great if you aren't a sniveling little pleb who can't appreciate prose and philosophy
show me grimdark fantasy written half as good as bakker writes his
seriously plz show me the unholy consult was a bit of a fucking trudge for the first half and god dammit i didn't want the book to end feelling like there is so much more left to the story fuck you bakker fuck

AYY HOL UP

B-but Seven Cities people really wuz kangz

it took me 3 tries to get through the first one. It's a very different read. But it's fucking kino by the end of it and the series just gets better.

you suck at this game
00 - rake
11 - empress laseen
22 - adjunct
33 - apsalar
44 - paran
55 - quick ben
66 - karsa orlong
77 - tool
88 - onearm
99 - whiskeyjack
trips - caladan brood

I've lost all hope at this point. I re-read the OT and the last three AE books in preparation for TUC and I can't help but feel much of what goes on is a pointless slog. Apart from the kid becoming the No-God, which was cool as fuck, and fit in perfectly the rest of the stuff that was built up served no real purpose and felt anticlimactic. I can't imagine anyone legitimately enjoys Achamian and Esmenet chapters at this point.

Id like to go back and reread GotM after actually understanding the world/history/magic structure. I think it would make a lot more sense. Unfortunately I stalled out and can't get through book 9 fucking dinosaurs. I've invested so much I need to finish it out but that's a tough one to read for me.

Michael Cera as Ganoes
>stupid little fuccboi who gets where he is purely by chance

>88
>Dujek
Oh god what have I done

SOMEBODY STOP ME

kino

She'd make a good Felisin, by which I mean I'd like to see her get raped on a daily basis by a large man

I always that Ben was a lanklet

rollin

Sarah Hyland as Apsalar, Ariel Winter as Tattersail

This will never be live action without being cheesy af

Best we can hope for is top tier animated series

There are 7 different races, hundreds of characters, and it spans the entire planet and a bunch of other magic realms. I like this series but its impossible. Oh and ayyyyyyys

Idris Elba

The Chain of Dogs stuff is amazing. Also holy shit at all the depressing rape.

I actually really liked book 9, if only for the hobbling stuff making me feel sick to my stomach. There's at least one pretty hype battle in it too.

all hail empress chloe

Being dry on a beach like that instead of enjoying the glorious ocean water.

Besides TCG, what other ayys are there?

>post yfw Beak lights all of his Candles

quick ben

>when his brother hangs himself

I gotta try.

I'm reading the Blade Itself right now and like it. Is this comparable? I remember trying to read it a long time ago but stopped for some reason. The last thing I remember was the soldier guy riding on a giant dragonfly or something.

I actually think Felisin would have to be a genuinely talented actress not hired for her looks alone because of all the shit she goes through and character development. I was surprised to see her character's final fate because it's really not like what you'd expect in a situation like that.

Cold iron, nigga.

No. Blade Itself is straight forward and easy to read.

Would Denzel Washington as Kalam be too expected?

more like Idris Elba

The first law trilogy is good shit, but it's honestly a completely different genre of fantasy than Malazan. For one, it's readable
Anyone read dancers lament? Young Kellanved and Cotillion sounds pretty fanficiton tier but it's honestly the most fun I've had reading malazan in a long time.

Only fantasy comparable to Malazan is the Black Company series, which Peterson has frequently cited as a huge stylistic influence.

acceptable

I guess its just him, and maybe all the souls in the green meteorite thing?

Well that explains why I thought I was reading the exact same shit all over again with the black company.

Only the black company somehow had even worse character writing, might give it another try at some later point, tried reading it right after Malazan.

>Whiskeyjack

Good enough. Good enough.

It's actually funny how the two series are very stylistically similar yet their scales and scopes are vastly different.

CGI bill would be through the roof with a malazan tv series

denzel as tool

>Alec Newman as Whiskeyjack
Not a bad choice.

>Cold iron, nigga.
That entire concept is great.

The Heroes is the best book from abercombrie is like an ending to the whole series. Read it if you like the first trilogy.

i'm kinda annoyed he seems to be rushing the universe fast with technology and the next trilogy is going to be in a steampunk tech era. That really makes no sense, and seems like something he decided to do, rather than it being the natural next step. Plus thematically it seems kinda at odds with the gritty feel.

You never hear anyone talking about the supplemental material like novellas and Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach. Are those any good?

At least he addresses technology, most fantasy novels have, we are stuck in the middle ages for hundred of thousands of years.

I think the next series is completely new though

The non Peterson novellas are meh, not completely terrible but a fair step down in quality. I wait for the Kharkanas trilogy to be finished to pass judgement.

Nah, next trilogy is a continuation some twenty, thirty years. His world isn't stuck, but on the flipside he seems to be rushing through four or five hundred years of development in thirty. That's kinda lazy too.

the industrial revolution pretty much started with the steam engine and kind of jumped quickly after that

>mfw Itkovian

Would he look good with a beard, though?

>mfw Onos T'oolan marries Hetan
>mfw he has to sacrifice his life to save her tribe
>mfw she gets her arms and legs mutilated and turned into a living fleshlight for her entire tribe to use
>mfw she gets entirely mindbroken and bends over to get fucked every time someone says her name
fucking barghast

I've stopped reading this series twice after the end of book 2. Is it worth it to keep going?

Who should be playing Toc the Younger?

I like how Eriksen deconstructs the noble savage cliche.

There's some nobility to them but they're still fucking savages

If the chain of dogs wasn't your thing, then you're better off not reading the rest of the series.

Very much so. I'm almost finished my second reread, and the sheer amount of foreshadowing all throughout the novels from the beginning is immense. So yes finish it.

And then start again.

Or start with some other series to get your reading speed/comprehension up. I'm reading the Hyperion novels myself, and it's pretty good. Sci-fi though.

It's a great series and book 3 returns to the cast of the first novel if that would keep up your interest.

I get incredibly into the chain of dogs as it's happening and then the ending is so emotionally brutal it makes me not want to read anymore. But okay, I'll push through and keep going anons.