Batman # 6 Preview

Get in here for some Ries and Prado goodness faggots, finally King's Batman has good art.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicosity.com/interview-tom-king-on-gotham-girls-future-in-batman/
newsarama.com/30875-tom-king-on-how-gotham-girl-leads-batman-to-bane.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>The first arc of Batman: Rebirth, “I Am Gotham,” wraps next week and we’re left with a new ally devastated by events, in part, of her own making. Gotham Girl, now in mourning for her brother in the wake of the tragic events of Batman #5, has a choice: be a normal person and live a long life, or be a hero and die an early death. Sounds like a conundrum right up series writer Tom King’s alley. King sat down with Comicosity to discuss the evolution of Gotham Girl, what effect mortality has had on Batman, and what the future will bring for Bruce, Claire, and Duke.

>Matt Santori-Griffith: Let’s start off by talking about Gotham Girl. We’re seeing her in issue #6 dealing with the fresh trauma of her loss. It’s something Batman has gone through, of course, but we’ve never seen this up close and raw. How has it been working through that with Claire?

>Tom King: We had set aside an epilogue issue even in the first outline. I didn’t know exactly what it would be at the time, but I do like doing one-shots. I wanted to do something special.

>And then my grandmother died in the middle of all of this stuff — my grandmother who helped raise me. I was going through all the grief of that moment when I started to write this issue. It came together in my head as a chance to talk about some of that grief, what helps and what doesn’t. What it feels like. And I tried to do it without captions, just getting inside of her head.

>That’s what the issue became. It’s about Gotham Girl and how she’s broken, and that Batman wants to come in and fix her and he can’t.

>MSG: We see her in the preview pages not just reeling from the loss of her parents, but also the loss of her brother in a very specific way. How do you see that affecting her in terms of the mission they shared and her future with Batman?

>TK: We’re going to explore Gotham Girl in depth over the next few years, but this is a character who very much admired her older brother. She very much saw him as the hero of her life, much the way many people see their older brothers. She followed him into this life, thinking it was the place for her.

>The origin for Henry we saw in Batman #3? She wasn’t there for that. Her introduction to the super-hero world was through her bond with her brother. She let him guide her. That’s her perspective.

>In regard to Batman’s perspective, this is a book about obsession. Batman has always been a book about obsession. What Batman saw in Gotham and Gotham Girl was almost a way to finally redeem himself — to save Gotham City in a way he hadn’t been able to. Once Gotham the person died (and Gotham Girl is on the edge of death, having been infected with fear from the Psycho Pirate), Batman is now going to be obsessed with helping her, finding the cure for this fear she’s overwhelmed by.

>That obsession is going to drive the story forward.

>MSG: We got two very specific tidbits in the narration at the end of issue #5, one of which deals with Batman’s ultimate death. His mortality has been center focus for most of this first arc. What are your thoughts on that?

>TK: Regarding the narration, I never really use captions. I use them in Vision for first person narration and I think this is the first place I’ve used them in this arc.

>I put them there because I wanted it to be like you thought you were watching one thing, but you were actually watching something else. This whole time you thought you were watching this Gotham character and his interaction with Batman, but what you were really watching was the origin story of a brand new character.

>And Gotham Girl’s origin wasn’t just a few pages. It was a five-issue story. You saw what she went through and this is the start of her impact, here and across the DCU. Her impact is going to be felt far and wide. She’s going to play a role in the death of Batman and she’s going to play a role in the future of DC Comics. That’s what those captions were really about.

>As for Batman’s mortality, when I first got the book, I got my best friends together — these super comic nerds — and asked, “What is Batman about?” And they all said, “He’s human.” So, what does it mean to be human and not a god doing this? He’s just a guy who seems to be willing to die. This aspect of the character where he’s not like Superman or Wonder Woman, where he’s vulnerable and not a god, I think is really a fascinating thing to explore. And it raises the stakes across the board.

>You know, though, whenever I go off like this, talking about these big themes and the philosophy of loss, I also have to say: I want Batman to be an action-adventure comic. I love those big themes, and put them in my other work, but at its heart, I want this to be an action book.

>MSG: I do think you’re breaking from your other work with Batman, showing us how this character can’t be and do the things your leads do in Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, or Vision.

>TK: Yeah, I mean, I know I can write a book where someone stares out of a window and thinks deep thoughts. I know how to do that. But with Batman, I’m trying to do a big genre thing that will appeal to me when I was 12 and me now, where I just want to go outside and punch the sky.

>It’s hard, and against my own nature. And it’s scary, because I look back at Batman: Year One and see what Frank Miller did. He redefined the character in just four issues. I have five issues now and I haven’t come close to accomplishing that. But I don’t want to do that here. I want to do something bigger and funner.

>MSG: The other tidbit we got at the end of Batman #5 was the seeding of Claire’s future relationship with Duke Thomas.

>TK: That was set up from the very beginning with the idea of Gotham Girl that she would be a romantic interest for Duke. The original pitch was like, what if Robin fell in love with Supergirl? Wouldn’t that be fun? I mean, yeah, that’s an easy pitch! What a crazy dynamic it would be.

>But of course, since it’s my comic, I have to add some tragedy to it. In my version of Supergirl, every time she uses her powers, she dies a little. Duke knows this about her and of course doesn’t want her to use her powers. He wants her to save herself first. But I don’t think she ever will.

>So, it adds this tragic aspect to their relationship — if it becomes a relationship — that you’re falling in love with someone who wants to save the world, but in the process she’s killing herself. What does that do to you and her? I think there’s something interesting there.

>MSG: In your first five issues, but especially in issue #6, you’re pulling in a bunch of villains that I think I can charitably call “a little obscure.”

>TK: Super obscure! I forget Captain Stingaree’s name all the time.

>My initial idea was that there are whole worlds that happen in Gotham City and Batman’s life outside of the panels. We’re just watching the most interesting bits in Batman’s life. The other hours of his night, he’s fighting these smaller villains and smaller things.

>So what happens when we take the camera off the most interesting story and look at the smaller characters who are always there. This is an idea I essentially stole from Frank Miller on his Daredevil run, right? With how he used Stilt-Man. Even the Kite-Man reference is a direct tribute to that.

>I just went through some of Batman’s old, forgotten villains and tried to find ones that had campiness, but also this dark, wonderful side. Something there I could relate to. Captain Stingaree is one of the wildest stories. He’s a quadruplet who thinks his three identical brothers are secretly Batman. So he dresses like a pirate and wants to kill them. Whoever came up with that was on some good drugs. But they’re brilliant, sick, and crazy. It’s amazing, really.

>And then, Kite-Man is just Kite-Man. [laughs]

>The way Ivan Reis drew each of them made them really compelling. Like I want to now read a Kite-Man series. I want a Kite-Man toy. Ivan just killed on it.

>MSG: How is working with Ivan different for you than working with David Finch or Mikel Janin?

>TK: It’s very different. I mean, I work with a lot of artists, and in the trilogy books like Omega Men, I liked working in boxes. That way, I can control time. Comics layout is all about controlling time. Mikel on Grayson was all about breaking the boxes every once in a while, and David generally stays within the frame.

>Ivan just throws the boxes out the window. He’s like no other artist I’ve ever worked with.

>Normally, it’s really not my style, and I was kind of nervous about it. But when he first turned in pages, it was like looking at Picasso. Like, once you know the rules, you can throw them out and do what you want with them. The original pencils of this issue are some of the most beautiful pages in comics I’ve ever seen.

>It was something entirely new for me. It was a storytelling style I don’t normally take to, but I love it for this issue.

>MSG: Any final thoughts on Batman #6 or what’s to come next for Batman and his Suicide Squad?

>TK: Man, this is hard. OK. Catwoman is in it. And I think Batman and Catwoman’s relationship is going to be key to the series moving forward, and I don’t think it will be what you expect it to be.

END OF INCLUDED INTERVIEW

Sauce: comicosity.com/interview-tom-king-on-gotham-girls-future-in-batman/

END OF PREVIEW

She better grow her hair back.

What do people think about Gotham Girl anyway? Silly name aside, Ive5re5ally liked the concept and story of Gotham and Gotham Girl so far. It's been a bit different than what I've come to expect from Batman stories, and I wouldn't mind seeing Gotham Girl sticking around as a side character or even branching off into her own thing - maybe with a name change. Power Girl taken?

>Power Girl
Are you joking?

>That haircut
Fuck you Tom King

Yes.

I do like her though. It's been a fun story. The shaved head ruins it though.

Why is Batman trying to rape that girl?

>She better grow her hair back.
>>That haircut
>Fuck you Tom King
I think its unique & sexy as fuck.
That said it might just be Reis.
Under Finch & Janin it probably won't look as good.

Well, judging by what King says :

>>TK: We’re going to explore Gotham Girl in depth over the next few years

What is up with girls cutting their hair after a trauma
You dont see batman go bald after someone he likes dies

It looks retarded. Shaved heads are always a terrible and unattractive look on either gender. Might as well nair all of your hair out for the completely bald look.

At least it's not that stupid half-shaved head with a comb-over that has become a fad these days.

catwoman and batsy again?

>I think its unique
Batwoman has literally the same haircut. That's my main problem with it.

I like it alot more here then on Kane.

Despite what you may have heard, men and women do react to things differently and have different views of self-worth and grieve in different ways and etc.

Didn't Magneto do this?

I'd explore Gotham Girl in depth over the next few years.

>Ivan just throws the boxes out the window. He’s like no other artist I’ve ever worked with.

If Reis got named as the ongoing artist for a King book my dick would explode

Well now I don't feel as bad that she's blacked since she's got that abomination dyke haircut

I love this cut desu, but I love it in real life so I guess that's why.

I would kill her if I was writing Batman though, she kinda breaks the Bat-senpai dynamic. Looking forward to seeing more of her and Duke's relationship, he had a hard time.

He's too slow for ongoing. I do think he'll end up doing some art for All Star if Snyder wants him to.

>that hair
JUST

>finally King's Batman has good art.
When will it have good writing?

>I think it's unique & sexy as fuck
>i'm a fag who doesn't want any femininity in the women i use to pretend to be straight

fuck off and take your feminism pandering with you

>I have your submarine!
>Again
you would think after the first time security would actually work

I don't see how its unfeminine.
Modern Feminism can go to fucking hell.
I am praising it for no reason beyond sex appeal.

Want to hijack this thread to ask if Sheriff of Babylon is worth checking out? I kinda want to jump on it after I finish Omega Men.

It's best King's work to date desu. Anyone who says otherwise is just a normalfag idiot.

I fucking love that kind of Batman face

Yep, the powerlevel of King's books is
Sheriff > Omega Men > Vision > GL DW one shot > Grayson > Batman.
So the people who like or dislike King's Batman should remember they are reading his worst work

Oh, they ruined my new waifu. Fucking dyke hair... Carol, Batwoman, now her. Fuck this gay earth.

Part of me would like for new villains to pop up that weren't just one-off gags, but at the same time, I'm worried about something as mediocre as the Court of Owls taking root again.

Why couldn't Gleason be one of Batman artist? Is it because he's too cartoon-y and Batards need that realistic meme art? He's being fucking wasted on Tomasi.

Reis always gives him that sorta face, it's great.

>And I think Batman and Catwoman’s relationship is going to be key to the series moving forward, and I don’t think it will be what you expect it to be.

What did he mean by this?

>King gives us a gorgeous, miniskirt-wearing blonde bombshell who will be the focus of the next few arcs
>JUSTs her 6 issues in

Why?

Man shes a fucking loon now.

Cause she went insane? Do you know how to read?

Do you? I was asking why King did it, not the character. She could have been insane just fine with gorgeous hair.

To show that shes went off the deep end. Sorry your waifu went crazy.

Because comics are a visual format so reflecting that in the art makes plenty of sense. Also nobody cares about your waifus looks

Thanks a bunch.

>If I pull off the fap material will you die?

Fuck feminism, he likes what he likes, as do I. If you only want to fuck long haired women good for you, let me fuck the other ones you pos.

you don't have to waifu her to see she went from a 10/10 to a -3

of course, the whole reason they probably gave her gorgeous hair was so she'd look even more fucked up when she chopped it off.

You realize shes a fictional character, right?

I'm MUCH more disappointed with the fact that she now clearly sports bike shorts under her miniskirt than with the shaved head, tbqh.

Holy shit, Captain Stingaree.

Yeah user this is wtf I am talking about. King is based as fuck for going back and finding old villains that havent been used in awhile and bringing them back. Snyder just always stuck to the popular ones aside from Eternal and that was more Tynion.

I thought this was a flash forward at first and about lost my shit

So now she's crazy and talk to her dead brother,?

Yup. Batshit crazy if you will.

I do not believe that a blimp enough lift to fly around with a submarine like that.

Also, that haircut is garbage.

she'll be back to normal and fucking Duke by the end of the issue, no worries.

He's too huge not to rape her.

I will not.

>Epilogue
So Hugo Strange and Psycho Pirate get away with everything?

Hugo is making Kaijus in the next arc

>That hair
I thought I wanted this, but this doesn't work at all.
I guess not everyone can be Steffania or Sinead 30 years ago.
Also that mask doesn't help
at least it's just a plain shaved head and not some lawn mower cut

>How is working with Ivan different for you than working with David Finch or Mikel Janin?

>TK: Well, for starters he's actually good.

Neat. Batman going to get a jaeger?

You should read Snyders run with Gordon Bats.

>TK: Yeah, I mean, I know I can write a book where someone stares out of a window and thinks deep thoughts. I know how to do that. But with Batman, I’m trying to do a big genre thing that will appeal to me when I was 12 and me now, where I just want to go outside and punch the sky.

He really isn't trying to one up himself. This is a solid work anyways imo.

Fuck off faggot. King is the greatest.

I liked her before but now she sucks I want her to Leave even though I know it's not going to happen
Hopefully she kills herself after she kills batman but even that's going to take a long time

We just have to remember that King is gonna play safe this time. I'm still excited to see what will happen with Psycho Pirate and the fact that now he remembers Pre Crisis, Post Crisis and New52

I like how they still have her beautiful long hair on the cover because they know that people literally wouldn't buy it if they knew she had a shaved head

Anyone has the quote where King confirms this? I'm also really excited for psycho pirate. Plus the reimagining of the monster men, dc is really going back to its roots with this one

SUPERIOR POWERLEVEL RANKING:
GL DW>Sheriff>Omega Men>Vision>Grayson>Batman>Robin War

You know, the fact that vision is so low in most lists makes me think that Sheriff of Babylon must be like the second coming of Christ or something

What GL DW

Justice League: Darkseid War - Green Lantern one-shot.

Thanks babe

Kek.

Vision is a bit plebby, he's obviously trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator but it's still nuanced and complex because he's such a good writer,. Still, it has flaws.

>He really isn't trying to one up himself. This is a solid work anyways imo.
Well nobody really gives a shit when they're on Batman. His next obscure project will be the shit.

Vision a great comic but Sheriff and Omega Men are really fucking good comics that do more with the medium and are less straightforward/more intricate.

He did in Batman Unlimited.

Bump

Catwoman rapes Dick on a rooftop

That's because it's Marvel

story arc after "I am Suicide" is called "I am Bane"

"I am Suicide" deals with Batman trying to track down Psycho Pirate to make GG normal again

newsarama.com/30875-tom-king-on-how-gotham-girl-leads-batman-to-bane.html

bump

They were mind controlled by Psycho pirate just last issue. I'd bet it's just more of that shit that still hasn't worn off+grieving

>Batman crashes a plane into Gotham.
>Bane is a key character of the current run
>King is an (ex?)CIA agent.

How deep does this rabbit hole go?

>be a normal person and live a long life, or be a hero and die an early death
LIVE A POEM

>Spats under skirt
MY DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

Just give her a permanent hat, it makes her adorable looking.

reading bump

>It’s something Batman has gone through, of course, but we’ve never seen this up close and raw.
Love king, love the trips, love kings batman run so far, them Sale covers got me wet. But this line was the single most foolish fucking thing I've ever read. Is this man really implying this is more in-depth and personal than any story of loss we've read about Bruce fucking Wayne?

responded to the wrong post. fuck me. but speaking of sale he clearly didn't like the haircut either.