I'm a big fan of westerns. How close does Jonah Hex resemble a classic western character...

I'm a big fan of westerns. How close does Jonah Hex resemble a classic western character, and are there any other good comic book westerners?

Pretty close

Hex's original run in Weird Western Tales is 100% a traditional Western. Equal parts Ford, Leone and Peckinpah. Pretty much any classic Western plot you can think of is utilized in the run.

Stellar comics. Get them in the Showcase Presents Jonah Hex volumes.

One of the best-written and best-illustrated comics out there is a western, actually.

I have more Hex comics than anyone on /Sup Forums/.

Physical copies, or digital?

Physical my dude. Though it's nearly every appearance from like 1985 to present. I don't have any classic 70s Hex. I figure I'll waste my money one day on a complete lot on ebay some day for that.

Scout (Emanuel Santana). He was created by Timothy Truman. However, it is post apocalyptic/ Western so I dunno if you're interested.
Truman also did the comics A man named Hawken and Grimjack. I believe he may also worked on a Jonah Hex issue as well.

>read that issue for the first time
>the mood, the depiction of events, and one's own knowledge of comics all but spell out that Bruce can't possibly draw fast enough
>still hope Bruce manages to win
>Bruce loses

Fucking Omega Sanction

So you have the largest collection of Hex's worst comics? Bravo.

You must be a big fan. I've been working on Ghost Rider for years now on a limited budget. Of course, I count Marvel Essentials as owning the issues, so that helps.

What do you like about Hex?

Hex, the Vertigo run and Gray and Pallmiotti's run are all better. Jonah Hex ages like wine.

I grew up on westerns because of my dad and so Jonah was was my gateway into comics. I always just liked the badass western storylines and eventually grew to love DC and comics in general from the crossovers and seeing him on Batman TAS and realizing he was part of a whole comic universe.

Also if you're curious, I've been working backwards, collecting issues I read as a kid and then going older. I have something like 300/450 Jonah Hex appearances.

It's also pretty attainable as far as a complete collection goes, except for the first few issues which are fairly expensive.

Avoid the movie and grab the comics.

Good stuff
Also check out the cartoon short they made.
I believe it is with the Supermam Shazam! Shorts DVD

Those little vignettes are some of the best animation DC has ever made. I will never understand why there hasn't been more content of that caliber. The Spectre one is GOAT.

How good was New 52 Jonah Hex? I picked up a couple of early issues of All Star Western, but didnt keep up.

All-Star Western vol 3.? It's great.

b u m p

Truman drew all the Vertigo Hex books and a mid-90s Lone Ranger mini, but those are pretty supernatural heavy. Loads of fun but not exactly purist.

Speaking of fun, there's Bat Lash.

holy shit, i forgot there was a movie

Read Tex Willer

came here to post this. it's one of the longest running comics here in Italy but i don't know if anithing has been published in America

One of the few new 52 books to maintain quality through its whole run

Bump

Warren Tufts' Wesley Ruggles and Lance
The Comanche series by Greg and Hermann
Blueberry
Jerry Spring
Mac Coy
Jonathan Cartland
Buddy Longway
Al Crane
Ken Parker
Tex Willer