Why can't cartoons have high quality OPs like with anime?

Why can't cartoons have high quality OPs like with anime?

I mean compare Mob Psycho OP: youtu.be/PWb4aoBzVos
with Adventure Time: youtu.be/BHjg6cTxmrQ.

I was disappointed with the Voltron OP as well, despite the heavy anime influence of the show.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk
youtube.com/watch?v=pgjox-wca-A
youtube.com/watch?v=6X4wETFqHcM
youtube.com/watch?v=vwGgwZSgZAI
youtube.com/watch?v=uTQ3CHBA9TA
youtube.com/watch?v=AEE6oOGYNW0
youtube.com/watch?v=1CwMcDXiet4
youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1svTx-xoA
youtube.com/watch?v=8DDtcsu1JEs
youtube.com/watch?v=c6KhrPS_16M
youtu.be/z8FuA_eDVhY
youtu.be/uhMtwvHelh0
youtu.be/AgWLQviwL1s
youtube.com/watch?v=wtqwMz2ITcc
youtube.com/watch?v=jRVRYb98brQ
youtube.com/watch?v=375ENQbru8s
youtube.com/watch?v=etPQJvM8IvI
youtube.com/watch?v=c__dFYbErxg
youtu.be/KKlrPon5KbU
youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
youtube.com/watch?v=YCq4-r9annU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1) budget
2) advertising time, just look at the 90s X-Men intro vs the YJ S1 and S2 intros. S2 didn't even have a proper one.

They can. When they air in Japan
youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk

Animation isn't really taken seriously in the west. It's seen as kids advertisement

>Budget
most animes do not even have budgets to work with or run out of it really quick yet they still can make anime. Most cartoons have enough budget to run for a long time. I think it has more to do with mindset/culture of the creators and people working on it.

>most animes do not even have budgets to work with or run out of it really quick
That's daft, anime productions don't work with pennies or just suddenly find themselves short of cash. They just operate on less monetary and time resources compared to western cartoons.

you are too young or just a pleb:

youtube.com/watch?v=pgjox-wca-A
youtube.com/watch?v=6X4wETFqHcM
youtube.com/watch?v=vwGgwZSgZAI

Without going too far, compare BATB intro with YJ's or GL:TAS'. Or Spectacular Spider-Man's with Ultimate's.

The OPs by themselves have a different ideal in Japan and the US. Most anime will have some artist collaboration to promote someone and in reverse the artist will help promote the animation. This doesn´t happen in the west.

There is also a big difference of audience. When your public is younger children, you will have original songs on the JP side. But most of the time it will be some artist trying to promote his latest material.

Because most anime are made with shit-tier budgets, so they invest a lot of it into the OP because they recycle that footage in every episode. The logic being that they get 1:30 minutes of animation used 12 times, so it's nearly an entire episode's worth of animation.

Isn´t Thundercats partially made in Japan?

yeah but's i cartoon, like tiny-toon and BTAS

Because, for the most part, both serve different purposes. Both serve the purpose of immediately grabbing the viewer's interest. A lot of anime OPs also serve as visual synopses for the series/arc as well as vehicles for popular musicians. A lot of Japanese music artists recognized that attaching themselves to anime increased their chances of popularity in the West. And then there's advertising, which heavily is a big reason why Western shows have such short openings. Shorter opening means more advertising and more money. Gumball's opening is one of the best being aired right now and it's regularly cut in order to facilitate more ads.

Also, comparing Mob Psycho 100 to Adventure Time doesn't work considering the production staff for MP100 is comprised of some of the best in the industry.

Adverts.

By trimming down a good minute, that is roughly 3 commercials that could be playing.

This leads to saving literally tens of thousands of dollars a year

Because anime OPs are typically glorified music videos.

They'd rather either only have a 30-second musical intro with original footage (rare these days, I think...most cartoons nowadays too ugly design-wise for me to even TRY to watch), or show scenes from episodes with some lame original song in the background.

Tangentially related, Mob Psycho 100 is fucking great, everyone should watch it.

Everybody listen to this user

Even though I prefer YJ and GL:TAS, Beware the Batman surprisingly has a better intro than most of them. Still too short, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=uTQ3CHBA9TA

Aren't a lot of these made to promote the artist's single?
Shit imagine if we lived in a world where we got minute snippets of Queen or some shit as out intros.

I'd also suggest reading it

>jam project
Holy shit

When Charmed lost the rights to it's theme song they had to change it to an instrumental (granted it's not Sup Forums), maybe there's licensing involved studios would rather avoid in the long term.

Its because in anime the viewer is intelligent enought to get what the themes and plot of the show is from the imagery and symbology

youtube.com/watch?v=AEE6oOGYNW0

you know what this show is like from the feeling of the opening, now take a typical western cartoon opening

They have to write a song that literally explains the plot to you

youtube.com/watch?v=1CwMcDXiet4

Because cartoons are for kids the intro is all about exposition dumping for the idiots that watch them

When cartoons finally become mature they will have good intros

We don't care about cool things, that's why OP. I think that's why themes like Tiny Toons and Ducktales stuck in our memory, those songs were catchy and had slightly more content than saying the name of the cartoon over and over or a 20 second loop of a melody or some shit

The MiB theme is still top shelf. Love that shit

Look man I know it's easy to bait around here, but can you tone down the fake autism?

Why are intros changed out for new ones all the time in anime anyway? Every 20 or so episodes there will be a totally new intro, even mid season.

Anime OPs have a secondary goal of promoting a song as well as hyping a show so there is a different priority level

Also, the whole lack of opening in Western cartoons is starting to die out as well

Opportunity to sell new music and update visuals.

Didn't Star Vs the Forces of Evil and Gravity Falls have some higher quality intros?

It's cheaper and more isn't always better.

>and more isn't always better
that doesn't really apply to this.

America has outlawed slavery

this

why do the japs do everything better?

fake?

Most cartoons are aimed at kids that haven't even gone through puberty. Those kids don't give a shit about OPs an EDs so it'd be a waste of money to make a decent one.

Also MP100 GOAT AOTY

nazi master race?

Because in the west animators are not OK with slaving themselves over so little money.

In fact there's an anime that points this out.

>compares one of the two or three anime of the 40 in it's season that isn't shit to a cartoon literally made for kids under 6 years old

Holy shit.
Look man, I love anime but you're either extremely stupid or a retarded weeb

>west animators
literally only exist in freelancing or big budget movies. When a cartoon is made in the west, all the animation is done in some asian country. Americans only do the writing, storyboard and character design.

You didn't even post the best one, which was sung by a slutty club singer.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1svTx-xoA

Japan at one point animated most of Americas cartoons. Now it's South Korea I believe.
If weebs want to complain about western cartoons be in animated like shit just remind them that half those shows were and are animated by Japs.
Anime only looks good to some because of some shading here and there. They actively cut corners and when you notice it, it looks like shit

This can be an issue. Part of the reason the western releases of Zeta Gundam use the OST during the op and ed is due to a license cock up at Sunrise. That said these days it's less of an issue

Cause theyre pointless?
Theyre just showy little sequences for kids to fawn over, they rarely if ever add anything to the story.

so? they add a sense of style to the series.

Because these big publishing companies that own the rights to the original manga also own music rights. So they use an anime, which is nothing more then a commercial for the manga, as a chance to sell a single to an artist that they own as well. It's all just cross promotion. Also the fact that Chinese cartoons aren't viewed as strictly kiddy shit by everyone and that everyone reads manga, not just kids.

At least that's my theory

Yeah I thought a good OP added to the show. When I was younger and watched shows on Toonami, I loved watching the openings, I don't know how you can watch Outlaw Star's OP and not get a little hype.

Sure it doesn't add much to actual content of the show but it's part of the overall presentation. And presentation counts.

Have you seen anime since the 70's

They look neat and showcase all kinds of things like symbolizing characters and their relationships or sometimes foreshadow the plot and you get to see how as you go along. Or sometimes it's just for fun visuals, lighten up user.

Because American TV doesn't have the time for long cool intros. They want to stuff more commercials in.

Also because japanese animators are willing to work for a pittance, so with the budget they have they can crank out more interesting animation.

It's not just the openings, most of the endings are great too

youtube.com/watch?v=8DDtcsu1JEs

I wish they could go back to making good openings again at least

so you're saying you want something like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=c6KhrPS_16M

i've downloaded one episode just so i can watch this ed from time to time

Still one of my favorite EDs. It just makes me smile and want to dance.

Can we just post OP's we like now

youtu.be/z8FuA_eDVhY

>mob

ugh

I'm sorry for your shit taste user

This. It's to promote the artist. So if they get to collaborate with a popular one, the opening/ending will have a better budget.

It's not like that in the US. AT didn't have a budget for a cool opening song when it started, but I like that they had such a simple but catchy OP instead.

youtu.be/uhMtwvHelh0

I think what OP means is that good openings are a lost art in the west. All 3 of those are over 10 years old. It's very rare we get much of anything for a theme these days.

I was like you back when I was 13. Stop being a weeb. Whilst they're better most openings for anime basically show you the plot and a lot of them are quite shallow.

> user admits he has autism
Kek. Although you're more likely baiting hard.

If you're going to be posting ops from that late in the show you should do stage 5
youtu.be/AgWLQviwL1s

Nah i like them and i found some good japanese music thanks to those openings

>that shit sound quality

I'm surprised and please that this thread isn't as Sup Forums vs Sup Forums as I thought but I gotta say I miss theme songs in general. They're like the attract mode in arcade games; a great way to attract viewers and build hype.

I mean even if you hate vidya something like youtube.com/watch?v=wtqwMz2ITcc is going to get your quarter eventually.

Case in point I might have given AT a chance if it had an opening like this. 20 seconds culminating with a fist bump and ukelele fails to excite.

>those songs were catchy and had slightly more content than saying the name of the cartoon over and over

IT'S

Yeah both of those shows have great intros

I kinda agree with you I just don't know if "intelligent" is the right word.

Although just look at One Piece.

Japan- real song

American dub- Song literally used to explain the characters and their "jobs" as if the show won't do that already

You fucking what mate?
youtube.com/watch?v=jRVRYb98brQ
youtube.com/watch?v=375ENQbru8s
youtube.com/watch?v=etPQJvM8IvI
youtube.com/watch?v=c__dFYbErxg

I should slap you for subjecting my ears to that shitty techno-rock shit.

>techno-rock shit
kill yourself

>examples from about 20 years ago

Face it, you old farts. It's not the 90s anymore.

we don't have theme songs in burgerland anymore because they cut too much into commercial time

I like when Japan makes some pretty unique OPs that could be really great music videos on their own
youtu.be/KKlrPon5KbU

This is true only in America. Out of the top of my head, Gumball has a shorter intro in the US than in the UK because of this. I think other shows have the same problem.

And like other user's have pointed out, anime also takes advantage of selling the music. Long intros are also a way to shorten the episodes.

western can: youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg

they simply do no want

>1990 was 100 years ago
:(

>liking pretentious bullshit disguised as a ironic comedy

no user I'm about u, and i hope u you find a better way

>liking pretentious bullshit disguised as a ironic comedy
What did he mean by this?

I can see why one would think that of OPM but Mob? There's nothing ironic about it.

It means he's a comfyfag.

is the same formula as OPM

silly main character is actually dam strong but still silly as fuck

just like dragon ball or arale

but the show also try to be a deep satirical comedy about live and society.

I haven't given a shit about OPs since I was a teenager.

How old are you? It's stock animation that gets played every single episode.

A godlike OP won't save a show from garbage writing, bad art, etc.

>but the show also try to be a deep satirical comedy about live and society.
Heaven forbid any work of fiction isn't 100% lighthearted, "fun" comedic adventures all the time.

>but the show also try to be a deep satirical comedy about live and society. but also fail at it

fixed

Better that it actually tries to, instead of continuing this absurd trend of saturating all storylines with frivolous, comedic cores with SOME action/drama/characterization on top that the MCU started.

you know what user, let's agree to disagree

yeah cus mob and opm has something to do with mcu, this shit about marvel has become a buzzword already

>is the same formula as OPM

At first glance maybe

>silly main character is actually dam strong but still silly as fuck

Mob is not silly, Reigen is. He is at worst naive, but not silly like Saitama

>just like dragon ball or arale
Maybe is close to Arale but neither of Akira Toriyama's works were as you put it

>also try to be a deep satirical comedy about live and society.

Not at all. Is a story about growing up, it's even spelled out in one of the episodes.

I know, I took the bait but this is the only anime I actually follow now a days and I'm tired.

>Why can't cartoons have high quality OPs like with anime?
So you want Nicki Minaj to do an intro for some cartoon? Because that's what Anime OPs are; songs performed by Nip pop idols.

>pop idols
are you high?
youtube.com/watch?v=YCq4-r9annU

go home dennialfag

here is the path:

go back to watching Lucky Star, ya pinko commie weeboo

back to Tumblr with you!

>N-No you!

I don't like anime, but I'm enjoying MP100 a lot. I understand if you don't like it, but don't pull buzzwords out of your arse just for the sake of it. It's not ironic and is not 2deep4u

not me but I have to agree if opposing opinions affect you that much.

Is lucky star even popular anymore? I remember back in 2007 when every subgroup was subbing it.

>most animes do not even have budgets to work with or run out of it really quick yet they still can make anime.

underpaying animators =/= no budget senpai

this desu
anime saves their budget to do occasional flashy action sequences more often than the west but overall people seem to confuse realistic-based anatomy and quick shading with good animation. the average anime scene isn't astronomically better than an episode of, like, rugrats

What if it something like Aria? Those kinda shows dont have fight so can they have sakuga too?