Aliens

I'm a longtime alien fan, I've seen both alien and aliens dozens of times, and the former is my all time favorite movie.

The other day I was rewatching both with friends who hadn't seen either, and I gotta say I noticed myself feeling really bored throughout most of the sequel, which I did not really experience with the first. When I asked my friends what they thought, they unanimously agreed that the original was the superior movie by a longshot, and even though as a kid I would have disagreed, now that I am older I have held the original higher for years.

So I was wondering what you guys thought of Aliens? does it hold up for you? Have you always liked/disliked it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1bqSgvEZNtY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I noticed myself feeling really bored throughout most of the sequel

Aliens is generic and dull until Ripley goes to the Queen to save Newt.

>even though as a kid I would have disagreed
I would have as well. BIG MONSTERS talk much more to kids than a well put together movie.

>So I was wondering what you guys thought of Aliens?
Fantastic as a kid, not so great now except for the final act which is pure kino.

Covenant is fucking atrocious aside from Fassbender.

Pretty much this. Anyone that says Aliens is better than Alien has a missing chromosome.

>Aliens > Alien >>> Covenant > the rest

I enjoyed covenant and prometheus well enough. I don't think they're good movies, but they are visual marvels and have great atmosphere, which is why I love Alien so it works out.

Aliens is better.

Aliens is more retwatchable then Alien

How so? there aren't really any neat details to catch on a second viewing.

Aliens has better acting and flows better.

Not enough Fassbender in either

No kino

it has a few, like the archons thing,
but mainly because of the action and tower defense fanfiction

But the action isn't really that impressive aside from the ending.
It felt like I was watching someone play a light gun game.

I've never liked it, but I've only seen it twice. The marines are nicely written at the beginning, but I find the plot completely boring compared to Alien.

What's up with the sudden backlash against Aliens?

Aliens was a masterpiece with an incredible tension curve that evolved into a rollercoaster of fear and adrenaline.

I also would like to point out that here is an action movie with a woman as the hero, wielding fucking flamethrower and piloting a mini-mech while taking care of a child at the same time and EVERYBODY loved it.

>It felt like I was watching someone play a light gun game.
you feel that way because literally every human kills x monster is influenced by it

The alien Flims have gone to shit and there's only five solutions

>set the next film 200 years in the furture apart from past installments

>still cast the one and only as ripely but as an finally successful clone with intact memories

> give the xenomorphs brand new Jewish abilities like swimming underwater and bank accounts with held interest rates

>have an female android who actually doesn't even behave like an android at all

>write In at least two gay crew members and Danny mcbride as a space cowboy

Sup Forums is full of contrarians.

People are realizing it's just a mediocre action flick with amazing special effects.

Or maybe it makes him feel that way because the gun sounds are weak as fuck

The truth setted us free

Aliens feels to me like Alien as directed by Steven Spielberg. So many predictable emotional hooks, so many boring tropes.
And in ways it feels more dated than Alien.

>setted

They're both fantastic films that complement each other nicely, in my opinion.

For me personally, Alien slightly pips Aliens to the post due to incredible, autistic levels of worldbuilding detail down to cigarette packets, beer cans, even individual choices of font. It's like truly stepping into another world, honestly with an effect far more profound than something like Star Wars especially on repeat viewings.

>sudden
It's been this way for years

Why you

>Or maybe it makes him feel that way because the gun sounds are weak as fuck
The two most recognizable sounds in film history. You need to get the fuck out.

That's not at all how I feel, in fact one of my great joys in that film even among it's faults is that the combat drop scene is a heavy inspiration for the halo games.
What i meant with the light gun comparison is that the action scenes consist of aliens jumping from around the corner and getting exploded, or aliens jumping from around the corner and grabbing someone.

THEY USE FUCKING PULSE RIFLES NOT GUNS THAT DISCHARGE HOT GAS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Aliens is definitely a hallmark for the "john gotted his palsma rifle" genre of sci-fi.

>amazing special effects
Compared to alien they are pretty bad, especially the scene where they are landing on the planet
>weak gun sounds
As much as I am taking issue with the fight scenes, that is not one of the reasons

The gun sounds are iconic but they still sound weak. The sound mixing for them is terrible.

I love both films but even though Cameron did an excellent job with Aliens you can see the seems coming apart a bit in a few places whereas in Alien the only dated scene is the shot of the xeno being blasted into space (which didnt look good to begin with). Still like I said I love both movies and enjoy them whenever I do a rewatch.

That statement means nothing to me, you're gonna have to give context.

>Compared to alien they are pretty bad

I know you're not talking shit about Stan Winston's effects right now, right?

Aliens absolutely shits all over Alien in terms of special effects.

>I'm a longtime alien fan, I've seen both alien and aliens dozens of times

Stopped reading there.

>The sound mixing for them is terrible.
There is nothing wrong with the sound the guns are not suppose to sound like an M-60 or a m1a1

pretty bad was a bit too harsh(with the exception of the aforementioned horrible greenscreen landing sequence), but in comparison to how real the nostromo felt in every minute detail, its a step down.

The explosion's also pretty cheesy looking, and the Xeno has never been more blatantly a guy in a suit just kind of standing there, sticking his arms out. Ash's head is kind of goofy looking too, when they cut to the dummy head.

>Aliens-loving redditors in my Sup Forums

story goes (much like terminator)/suspense
alien > aliens

action wise
aliens > alien

where do you get off comparing the action scenes between an action movie and a non action movie as a sign of quality for either?

>Plebeians claim Alien is a dumb action film with no suspense or horror like the original

youtube.com/watch?v=1bqSgvEZNtY

Did any of you actually watch the film?

Utter nonsense, nobody could seriously claim such a thing. Alien is completely believable, but the terrible cloud effects in the drop scene in Alien and the absolutely laughable model they use for the armored vehicle take me right out of it.

The Alien queen alone is more impressive than the entirety of anything in the original.

Completely wrong, but I'm not saying Aliens didn't have any good effects, I'm just saying they're worse than Alien.

And anyway, effects don't make a movie, and my major problem with Aliens is that all the characters are unbelievably stupid, especially the Marines who fall apart as soon as they see a hint of combat after spending the entire first two acts preening about their abilities. I don't know how anyone can criticise Covenant's untrained couples characters after seeing how the best of the best react to them in Aliens.

The only impressive special effects in Alien is the chest burster scene. Everything else looks dated especially the Alien itself.

You can like Alien more all you want but Aliens was a massive improvement in special effects. Anyone with working eyes can see that.

That was kind of the point of the movie. A bunch of chest pounding overconfident marines fall apart when they get their shit slapped by an enemy that, not only should they have theoretically been able to easily handle, but they weren't even sure existed in the first place.

I think you must be trolling. Alien is full of massive, beautifully crafted physical sets, especially the alien ship, all Aliens has is tonka toys and plastic pallet hallways.

You can like Aliens more all you want but Alien was a massive improvement in special effects. Anyone with working eyes can see that.

>Aliens isn't ki...

It was 100% their fault, they shouldn't have stopped Ripley briefing them on the nature of the threat, and they should have believed her seeing as the company did.

Set design isn't the same thing you ignoramus. It's clear you're completely retarded since you can't even misquote someone properly.

mah niglet

>Sets don't contain effects a and can't be effects themselves
Do you think they built a life-sized alien ship, dingus? Were all those alien eggs sets too?

Alien 3 > Alien > Prometheus > Covenant > Alien vs. Predator > Aliens > Resurrection > Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

Atmosphere and tension are everything, and they were too highly prepared in Aliens and AvPR to evoke either properly. The best parts of Aliens were the medical and debriefing scenes on the space station at the start.

This. I understand people disliking the fact that Aliens is action, and that it isn't a remake of Alien, but anyone can see why Aliens has been influential while Alien has not. Aliens has great action, set design, character design, special effects, etc. Hating on Aliens and saying It's shit at face value is like It's saying Terminator 2 is a shitty action movie with shit effects: you come out looking like a petty retarded contrarian for shitting on the very things the movie does right. It's like you have the best chocolate cake ever, and you complain that it's shit because you like vanilla.

>ali3n first

What the fuck are you even doing

>Alien 3 > Alien
How is Alien 3's atmosphere and tension superior to the 1st.

The company didn't believe her, neither did the marines. Burke took a risk in believing her, got the colonists fucked up, and went to retrieve a sample. And who would believe what is essentially a space trucker who is the only survivor. What's more likely, that she met aliens that have acid blood, or that she fucked something up and covered it up by destroying the ship? So Burke considered checking up her story, if there was actual aliens he would see massive profits, and get lots of money his way, and if there was nothing he lost nothing at all.

Alien 3 is basically a love-letter to the original, doing the same sort of story but in a new setting, the supporting cast is vastly superior

By starting that way and never letting up, and not having anywhere safe. Clemens is the closest thing Ripley has to a friend there, and everyone else is outright hostile to her at best.

>The company didn't believe her
Then why did they send her? Oh right, it's because The Company (Burke) did and brought her along. It was retarded for the Marines not to believe her, nor even listen to what she had to say.

It's a contrarian. Alien 3 is like a shittier remake of Alien, like who would pick that mess of a movie over the original or Aliens? 3 should have been Aliens but on a Blade Runner-esque earth, with a visit to the xenomorph homeworld. Even bigger scope. Instead we got a steaming pile of mediocrity, something that barely qualifies as an Alien movie.

Archons?

anyone has the attempted rape webm from Alien 3?

I recently rewatched every single Alien film (including both AvPs) and I gotta say Alien is just hands down the best movie of them all. Aliens is good, but it has a lot of missed potential especially when it comes to action scenes.

Aliens IS kinda boring, I also discovered this when I bought the quadrilogy box and marathoned all four movies.

The Thing is infinitely better than any Alien film, prove me wrong.

We're being raided by reddit.

>anyone can see why Aliens has been influential while Alien has not
>Alien
>not influential
What timeline are you living in?

The original that is, not the mediocre Kurt Russel shlock.

How are you not getting this? The company in general closed her case. Burke took initiative because he is a low-tier worm who aspires to reach upper management, and getting a bioweapon for the company would let him accomplish that. It's like Robocop, a lower executive took initiative. Burke wasn't told to check out Ripley's claims, he did it of his own volition. He represents greed and ambition. It's in later movies where WY becomes more of faceless corporation.

They believed something was there, they just didn't care for her crying because they thought they were hot shit Marines.

Pleb taste, typical from an Alien fan.

Burke set up a company mission and brought Ripley along, he is for all intents and purposes, The Company, just because the lawyer division didn't believe her doesn't mean the weapons division don't.

>OP makes up a story to shit on Aliens

You don't have friends and this is a terrible bait thread.

You just have shit taste

>3 should have been Aliens but on a Blade Runner-esque earth, with a visit to the xenomorph homeworld. Even bigger scope
Typical Aliens fan, thinking the series should be pew pew bang bang because that's what Jimmy did. Ridley was right to remove it from canon.

1. Aliens
2. Alien
3. Alien 3
4. Prometheus
5. Resurrection

Never saw covenant

I'm sorry but I don't agree... That movie is really messed up, doesn't even feel like an Alien movie to me, but some kind of remake made by a director like Craven could have done. What makes so great the first 2 alien movies is the fact that the xenomorph is the huge deal and Ripley is the legendary character that has to deal with is (along with the synthetic's backstory and the bastard company wanting to protect the alien). The 3d should've been following the story but not in that dumb way with everyone in the ship dead and a bunch of assholes that look like Crematoria jailbirds. When Ripley fell in the furnace I switch it off enraged. What a way to throw a good series of movies in the ditch.

I agree on the steaming pile of mediocrity.
I don't on the xenomorph homeworld. At least not with Ripley as a protagonist.
In my vision, Alien 3 should have been with another leading actor and a different crew that stumble into the planet (much like Covenant) and the mess starts also there.
Facehugging, disaster etc.
Bad ending. They send more colonists and they're all going to be fucked.
4th movie should have been some sort of Commando style alien movie, with Ripley living happily with Jewt and Dwayne, until some governative fucker comes and says to her that they need her help to solve the problem. Sbabaaam. And so she does.
Unfortunately I am poor and don't live in Hollywoosh.

Wow, how can I be so, so wrong? Clearly Alien has entered in our culture more than Aliens, which is why space truckers are a cliche, as is an alien picking off people one by one. What a fucking retarded statement. You know what's a cliche? Space marines. "In the pipe, 5 by 5". Futuristic weapons. Auto turrets, even. The alien hive. The final boss, alien queen. "Get away from her, you bitch". The slimy greedy corporate asshole.

Alien has Ash the hidden robot, the chestburster scene, the captain saying "kill me", and the countdown (which you have to admit, Cameron did better). That's about it. Aliens is much more important to our culture, by a mile. Just with space marines, Aliens wins. Starcraft, W40k, etc. Alien was basically a small movie, it was Halloween in space. It was never going to be culturally significant. When Cameron did Aliens, he went in wanting to make a big action spectacle that would also open up the xeno universe (which it did). Much like how Star Wars brought a universe to life, so did Aliens. Without Aliens, Alien would just be another B-movie. Also, the reason Alien appears more fresh is because Aliens influenced so much shit, it feels cliche at this point. Imagine that, influencing so much that it became somewhat stale (according to contrarians, cause it's still a solid movie with effects that have mostly held up).

Burke is the opposite of a corporate drone. He's going behind the company's back, without much of a plan, all because he's looking to score big and make bank. People forget that the marines also represent the company, and they mutiny against Burke.

>Ripley is the legendary character
This is not established in any movie, that's just what the fans think of her. Ripley is a pretty helpless person that gets forced into terrible situations and somehow muddles her way through. It was only luck that she escaped the Nostromo and getting fired as a space pilot forcing her to do manual labour gave her the skills she needed to survive Aliens.

>When Ripley fell in the furnace I switch it off enraged
But don't legendary characters sacrifice themselves to save the world? It sounds like you don't know what you want.

Still, the company as a whole closed her case. Burke is acting on his own, using company resources and connections sure, but of his own volition. It's like how Google encourages their workers to invent shit, which they will implement and give kickbacks to the person who invented the shit. Google doesn't give a fuck, the individual workers do. Burke gives a fuck cause he's greedy, WY don't. Burke wants the company to notice him so he ventured out himself. The company doesn't know. He represents WY, but WY isn't portrayed as evil yet. Earth Hive and such was when WY was seen as actively seeking out the xenomorphs.

I'm talking about Alien was a massive inspiration for filmmakers and scifi in general, because of its execution. The designs, the visuals, the aesthetics, Alien's legacy still resonates in scifi works today. What is Aliens known for? Cheesy quotes. Aliens itself is part of the works inspired by Alien, being a direct sequel.

>a pretty helpless person that gets forced into terrible situations and somehow muddles her way through

That's legendary

>don't legendary characters sacrifice themselves to save the world
Of course. But there's loads of ways to do that. I simply thought that her end should have been more epic instead of dying in a lame ass god forgotten space prison.

Also, I would like you to consider this. Very carefully now.
>The film faced large-scale problems during production, including shooting without a script, with various screenwriters and directors attached. Fincher was finally brought in to direct after a proposed version with Vincent Ward at the helm was cancelled well into pre-production.

That's there the very definition of a MESS of a movie.

>Without Aliens, Alien would just be another B-movie
Imagine being this delusional.

>That's there the very definition of a MESS of a movie
No, because you're attributing a negative description of the outcome based on problems during production. It's a great movie that had troubled production, and you're a pleb whose watching the wrong movie series, it's not entirely your fault though, Cameron has skewed your perception of what the series is with his Action nonsense sequel to a space horror film. 3 corrected his grievous error, and Ridley has indirectly confirmed his opinions too by ignoring its laughable contributions to the lore.

And yet that's what Ridley is doing, look at Prometheus and Covenant. 3 is such a massive disappointment that even the director disowned it. Even the effects are kinda shitty, you can tell they were like "fuck it, let's go with what we have on hand". You can tell they didn't put their best into it, the studio wanted it out quick after spending so much time on script changes. It's a mess of a movie, and people have the audacity to say it's better than Aliens. Plebbitors have a rage-boner for Cameron, people start memeing Aliens is shit, and now you have idiots saying this sort of shit.

I'm not really angry, more disappointed and sad. Disappointed because the memes are influencing young minds, and sad because nothing can really be done about it. I love movies, and I've seen all these movies a shitload of times, even 3 because I have the quadrilogy set. I know these movies intimately, read the books and comics, played the video games. This is my shit, my hobby, even moreso because I love scifi. And then some faggots come along, for whom scifi isn't their thing, who think 2001 is the epitome of scifi, and try to tell ME what is what concerning my shit, my hobby. That does piss me off.

So you like David Cameron and you hate 2001, and you think we're the redditors? Jesus fuck. You're not even worth arguing with.

Alien: Earth Hive is the novelization of what would have been the plot of the 3rd movie. It dealt with a teenage (maybe as old as 20 so you can hire a hot actress) Newt who gets broken out by Hicks (who's scarred as fuck) who is going on a mission to the xeno homeworld. Meanwhile earth gets infested by a xenomorph, due to a cult. Shenanigans happen, Ripley is nowhere to be found, and Newt even gets a lady-boner for an android. Depending on the version you read, the Space Jockey species shows up at the end on earth (iirc). The comic books then deal with the aftermath, and features all sorts of stories, from space marines to short, small and contained scifi stories. Half of these "Alien fans" probably only like Alien and hate scifi.

Literally fanfiction tier.

Alien 3 would've been just fine if Cameron didn't make the franchise pleb accessible with Aliens and didn't make the monster into an easily slaughterable bug.

What has Alien inspired? Start naming shit, back your shit up with real examples. My argument is Aliens is more influential to our culture (american here), a movie who has started tropes that nowadays are cliche. What has Alien done? Alien is itself just Halloween in space, I literally cannot recall any movie that has used those elements present as inspiration, apart from Aliens itself. Space Truckers isn't a cliche. "Holy shit, this guy is a robot!" isn't a cliche. Lone female survivor is a slasher cliche. Face it, Aliens brought the universe into the public's eye. Without it Alien would barely be remembered today.

Imma tell you what I told the other guy, provide proof of what Alien influenced or shut the fuck up.

>Implying the production problems didn't had a role in the clunkiness of the script

Listen mate, I just don't get it.
As by the serialization started by Cameron, you may not like it, but it worked. For me at least. I don't remember a single character beside Ripley and Bishop "II". I remember every single fucking character in Aliens. Can't be a coincidence. Alien 3 is a forgettable movie.

Thanks for the info. Who's the guy that wrote that?

2001 was hot garbage, the scenes are unnecessarily long and if it came out today it would be criticised for it, I dont care that it was the "first to do it", it did it wrong. It was so basic how he filmed the apes, I see more complex filmaking from a wildlife documentary.

>BUT DUDE LONG TAKES ARE FOR PATRICIANS
You can have long quiet scenes that are both good and bad. Just because its long doesnt automatically make it good fucking hell.

>DUDE THOSE SCENES MAKE US APPRECIATE TECHNOLOGY AND SHIT
A competent director would have directed those scenes in a way that doesn't put a hyperactive 5 year old to sleep. It's just shitty film making, no excuse.

>IT JUST DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH LASER GUNS AND SJW PANDERING FOR YOU LIKING
Fuck off. Before Sunrise was litterally just two people walking around a city, talking and it wasn't boring for a second. You know why? BECAUSE IT HAD A COMPETENT DIRECTOR!

>DUDE BUT THE AENDING WAS PRETTY LSD TRIPPIN LMAO
So it's confirmed the drugs have destroyed your brains. 2001 fans are literally DUDE WEED LMAO tier

>Alien is so unpopular the chestburster scene was parodied in Spaceballs and Shrek
>Alien is so unpopular it spawned a shitload of copycats like Outland and Galaxy of Terror

The alternative would be an Alien 2 and 3 that featured one xenomorph. That shit is stale as fuck, and would turn to shit by the 3rd movie. Have you people no knowledge of slashers? The Friday the 13th, Halloween, and A Nightmare on Elm Street series are proof that shit turns to shit if you don't add anything new. Look at Prometheus and Covenant: space truckers and space scientists, along with an android, encounter a different species, people die, and a chick survives at the end. It's the exact same story, and shit because of it. So going back to one xenomorph after introducing a queen and hive is just a stupid idea. If it was just one xenomorph on a monk-controlled wooden satellite in SPACE, I would consider that something new despite it being one alien. You can take the story in new directions like that, having a prison planet with expendable and faceless cannon fodder with shitty effects isn't the same. The comics have vastly different stories, with different elements that keep the universe fresh.