Quality

How does a show go from top tier in it's first few seasons to absolute dog shit regarding the rest?

Duchovny leaving after season 8 was the last straw. I had always heard about this show and when I started watching was amazed at the plot and the great acting by the duo. Things like Cancer man and the mythology in general got me to keep watching every episode, but then it all started going to hell. Robert Patrick is a great actor but he and the other chick can't replace the chemistry Mulder and Scully have crated throughout the seasons.

Season 7 was decent and was the first time I ever skipped an X-Files episode. Season 8 was so bad I ended up skipping about 8 or 9 episodes but the season finale was interesting. Finally season 9 was the biggest amount of dog shit I ever saw, I skipped about 12 episodes, saw TLG get killed in some dumbass way which, in the show's defense, I didn't understand because I skipped 30 minutes of the episode because of how boring it was. Now I've gotten to the final episode and the beginning has left me unimpressed. So sad, I dislike both main characters as people in real life but have to admit they are great actors but not even they can save such horrible writing.

Other urls found in this thread:

denofgeek.com/tv/the-x-files/34322/the-x-files-an-episode-roadmap-for-beginners
youtube.com/watch?v=x0et2-sk7YU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

totally agree. started watching this my senior year of college and I remember the exact night I got to the 8th season. I was so pissed. i

>saw TLG get killed in some dumbass way which, in the show's defense, I didn't understand because I skipped 30 minutes of the episode because of how boring it was.
That episode is good. You only didn't like it because it was a The Lone Gunmen episode.

Season 10 was pretty good at least.

$$$

Could you let me know if the movies and Season 10 are worth watching?
I really like TLG and the traits of each character but it was probably because I cant stand Robert Patrick and the other chick filling in as Mulder and Scully.

S10E03 is well worth watching. It's a fun episode but really feels like one of the old ones from when the show was at its best.

Product placement really jumps out at you though.

>movies
How could you have not watched the first movie? It's essential for the mythology between season 5 and 6.
The second movie isn't worth watching - well, it's certainly not as good as the majority of the series.
>Season 10
It's only 6 episodes long, so why not? A few episodes are bad, but it also has one of the best episodes ever.
>I really like TLG and the traits of each character but it was probably because
I meant that it literally is a The Lone Gunmen episode. They had a spinoff show, that Fox cancelled, so they did a follow up on TXF (since TLG ended on a cliffhanger).

I'm on season 7 right now senpai. The mytharc died with X. It's so crappy, but for whatever reason I can't stop watching it.

>How does a show go from top tier in it's first few seasons to absolute dog shit regarding the rest?
You're describing game of thrones. x-files become worse at later seasons, but still good.

Fox sux cox

I didn't know it was "essential", I thought it would give some new info about the mythos but nothing too important or interesting. Ill watch it after I finish the last X files episode.
Haven' t watched it but my friends would do anything just for more episodes.

I stopped watching in mid-way season 5. I wanna get back into it but can't find the will. I guess it goes to shit after that anyway.

Other than the Burt Reynolds episode and Finale, Season 9 is borderline unwatchable

denofgeek.com/tv/the-x-files/34322/the-x-files-an-episode-roadmap-for-beginners
OP here, found this and I think it can help alot/

Finishing the last episode (first time watching it, original series) and so far it has been half and half. On the last three minutes and still waiting for something truely interesting, at least I got to see Cancer man one last time.

Are you going to watch season 10?

>tfw i'm halfway through season 7 and this is currently my favorite TV show

does it really get that bad

Half of season 8 is good, half is trash. 2 episodes of season 9 are worth watching, the 2007 (I think) movie is ok, and there's one episode of pre-season 8 quality in season 10.
I still love the show though

Yeah I'll get on it right now, mainly because I just read the somehow Cancer man is back.

Agent Dog get isn't as bad as I used to think.
Some of his episodes are good, like the one where he has amnesia in mexico.

A lot of people are like this,i wonder if anyone liked him during the intial run.

Don't bother. They retcon everything and of the six episodes, only one is worth watching.

Watching the first one and absolutely bored out of my mind, looks more like a police procedural show than X files. Maybe the magic is lost and it will never come back. I could also be that I like the visual quality of the first episodes much more than later ones.

2-4 are good

Duchovny wanted the show to move to LA so he didn't have to live in Canada. Then he wanted to be written out of the show.

because he sued fox

For the motw episodes

The show makes Canada look pretty comfy -- in the 90s, anyway.

I think it was because in the first few seasons there was vagueness to the conspiracy. I remember it had a big impact on me when Deep Throat told Mulder that "they've (aliens) been here for a really long time". Then as the series moved forward it was aliens, then it wasn't , then it was, then it wasn't , and it was just too chaotic.

Fuck off reddit

X files is one of my favorite tv series, yet I have never finished it. I just can't get through the last few seasons they are so terrible. I've watched the first 6 or so seasons like 4 times over though.

I know people like to rip on the whole mytharc thing, but I absolutely loved it. Obviously the payoff was one of the biggest letdowns ever, but the build up and all the mystery about it was great to me. Mytharc episodes were my favorite

It was more entertaining when the plot was "monster of the week" than when it was about "super soldier clone thingies"

skinner was the man

>stupid sexy Skinner

Scully was qt in this scene.

Is he /ourguy/?

He's been in a number of shows I just recently watched and it's funny to see him. Well I guess only two. Sons of Anarchy from your pic, and Supernatural which I'm watching now.

Supernatural is so fucking weird. It's a solid show, not great not bad. But I've barely ever heard anything about it before. Basically nothing in the media, no threads about it on here. Yet it has been on since 2005 and is still fucking airing! How does a show low key air for 12 fucking years?

does anybody have an extended version of this?

Was he the best character on the show? Every time you saw him you just knew the episode would be 10/10

Are they ever going to explain how he survived his entire skull exploding?

he is an alien,friendo.

are aliens invincible?

>what are super soldiers

he's just a more evolved one immune to magnetite

i think i stopped around season 6, i really should buy the full series boxset off of amazon or whatever they are selling, and just binge watch the entire thing.

i'm sure it's watchable compared to the shit we have these days

If you watch S8 & 9 without the context of the previous seasons then Dogget is awesome.

He's coming back in S11.

>leave all your technical crew in Canada

fuck David and his lesbian wife. ruined this show for his ego.. waaaaah vancouver is raaaaaaainy

Van was very comfy. Too chinky now.

give the 8th season another chance doggett is actually an interesting character he doesn't try to fill mulder's position and works alongside scully very well, he's relateable without seeming disingenuous and doesn't fall into sceptic or believer he just wants to get to the bottom of things no matter where it takes him. he's also got a classic male hero noir vibe to him which i wish they could have played up in a comedy detective noir based episode but alas. as for reyes and season 9, more cancer than the cancer man avoid at all costs, truly mistifying how carter became such a hack.

I liked how he finally got resolution for his Sons Death.

tbqh the worst part of S8 was scully being depressed over mulder/the baby stuff,otherwise it's solid.

Is Millennium worth watching?

Theres one fantastic episode on S10 in which Scully essentially demands any man watching immediately cums over the screen.

that 'searching for mulder' theme though

meant scully's theme.

she does that every episode

linkaroony
youtube.com/watch?v=x0et2-sk7YU

This was the only episode from the latest season that could stand up against any of the classics from the earlier seasons.

did you like hollywood a.d? i hated it at the time and have never been able to like it on rewatches but i know some people that watch the show now have a different take on it. it's the one with the mulder and scully movie for reference

This is one of the best episodes of the show entire.

Also points for trashy Scully.

i found the x-file boring but everything else was okay

also
>he's sleeping with scully at this point
>says a girl like tea' would never like him

p.savage spooky

It works as a good meta episode, but it feels like they knew things had gone off the rails a bit.

Same idea with Supernatural really.

Darin Morgen carried the series with the few episodes he wrote.

>get sick of monster of the week and want plot
>suddenly too much plot and now want monster
>this continues for the rest of the series

So, did they completely disregard the "Canon" Season 10 comics?

This was lolsorandulb garbage, the only bad episode inof the bunch, it was like a bad parody of the worst of X-files.

i have them all and can confirm season 11 was a rushed mess that tried to wrap a bow around the massive chess game conspiracy they'd been setting up. basically mulder saves the world with a truck full of mix tapes (i shit you not) the editor/writer or what have you explains in the letters column that the announcement of real season 10 made them end the story early to focus on companion comics for the new series.

a damn shame too as the handling of everything from m&s relationship to recurring characters and even the place of 'the x files' in the modern world was much better and more appropriate i feel, worth a read although it ends with a whimper.

it was literally the only good episode of the season.

Yes

t. Radish

5 is the only truly awful one,the rest are okay.

This. I honestly do not know what the fuck 5 was trying to get at.