Marvel's Champions Hits Over 400,000 Pre-Orders

>Anticipation is high for Mark Waid and Humberto Ramos' upcoming Champions #1, and that enthusiasm has already resulted in significantly high pre-order numbers.

>Pre-orders for Champions #1 have already crossed over the 400,000 mark, partly due to its vibrant roster of young heroes and also partly due to the well-known track record of Waid and Ramos.

>"We couldn't be more thrilled with the response to the new Champions series," SVP of Sales and Marketing David Gabriel told ComicBook.com. "Hitting the 400K mark shows that the entire comics industry is ready and waiting for the story Mark Waid and Humberto Ramos have to tell. As the weeks go on, I imagine that excitement will hit a fever pitch with fans and we're not done yet. Between the launch parties and other Marketing initiatives, there's a lot to be excited about with Champions right now."

>In addition to retailer launch parties for the first issue, Marvel is also issuing a 1:1000 retailer incentive variant cover from Mike Hawthorne, which can be viewed in the gallery.

>The new team consists of Nova, Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Ms. Marvel, the Totally Awesome Hulk (Amadeus Cho), Viv Vision, and young Cyclops from the All New X-Men. That last addition will actually be the first hurdle that the Champions will need to clear according to Editor Tom Brevoort.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbook.com/2016/09/02/marvels-champions-hits-over-400-000-pre-orders/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>“This is the young Scott Summers pulled from the past. In my head, he’s kind of the first challenge the group faces,” Brevoort explains. “Which is to say that when they get together and start to do this, what they’re doing is not just putting together a superhero team, they’re more like activists. They’re making an inclusive statement that they mean to be for all members of their generation: it’s time to get together and stand up and fix the world. This is a message that goes out and people come in response to it. Cyclops shows up and goes, “Boy I love what you’re putting down, I’d like to be a part of it.” It’s kind of like Kid Hitler showing up at the door. The older Cyclops has done some stuff. He’s a hugely divisive figure in the Marvel universe, so the first question these kids have to answer for themselves is, should we let him be a part of this? Is his very presence going to taint what we’re doing? His older self became a radical and a revolutionary and did awful things, but is it the same guy? And that’s kind of why he’s there I think. He wants to go down a different road than his older self did.”

>partly due to the well-known track record of Waid and Ramos.

>Eisner Award winning writer Mark Waid and Eisner Award-nominated artist Humberto Ramos join forces to bring you a teen team supreme that refuses to adhere to the antiquated ways of old. It’s time to be heroes again, and Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, Nova, Cyclops, Viv Vision and the Totally Awesome Hulk are ready to answer the call. All it takes is six young heroes and you can change the world. They are the Champions – and they’re just getting started!

>Champions #1 hits comic stores on October 5th.

comicbook.com/2016/09/02/marvels-champions-hits-over-400-000-pre-orders/

And that's totally not because of UNLESS YOU FUCKS DON'T ORDER 20K OF CHAMPIONS NO STAR WARS VARIANTS FOR YOU.
What a glorious propaganda.

I honestly don't know why they ordered this so high. The only character on the team that sells decently is Miles

>He didn't see the fuck ton of Incentive Variants

>UNLESS YOU FUCKS DON'T ORDER 20K OF CHAMPIONS NO STAR WARS VARIANTS FOR YOU.
Nice blackmail, Marvel.

Because incentive variants are a cancer upon the industry.

Marvel is disgusting. It's like a comic mafia.

This cover...I don't get it.
What is the reference here? Is it Deadpool trying to seem young?
AND JESUS CHRIST! BABY FACE HULK!

boy this series is gonna have huge drops by issue 6

I'm not feeling this book. I mean, I get it's a teen team, but I'm not sold. I need more info. Like who are they gonna fight and shit. I don't want to buy a book where the first 6 issues are just the team getting together, which I'm dead certain it will be that.

Cyclops is the very definition of antiquated ways old

Wait, is this true?

What were the Incentive Variants

Yes Deadpool is trying to be "hip" and apparently failing.

>trying to be "hip"
Marvel in a nutshell.

>Eisner Award-nominated artist Humberto Ramos

Oh God is getting worse.

I like how the article says "anticipation" and "enthusiasm" instead of "holding variants hostage".

It'll be interesting to see how many stacks of this #1 will be laying around my LCS going untouched.

Politics.

What the fuck is going on with Sam's helmet on this cover.

Predictions for sixth-issue numbers?

I actually think it'll still be above 40k.

>>Anticipation is high for Mark Waid and Humberto Ramos' upcoming Champions #1, and that enthusiasm has already resulted in significantly high pre-order numbers.
>It's most definitely totally certainly not Marvel's usual number inflating chicanery.
ROFL Invincible Iron Man, Black Panther, etc. #1 to present sales.

How well has All-New All-Different Avengers been doing?

Sauce on that pic, please?

Maybe not the specifics, but this is how Marvel plays ball. Their goal is to get comic book stores to buy as many copies as possible, not to make sure customers buy those copies.

Mid-forties

EAT
IT
GRANDPA

Why does anyone trust Waid to write young teens?

>Cyclops is literally Hitler according to Marvel's most well-known editor
Do you think for once for one moment they will stop this shitshow treatment of the X-Men?

Ms. Marvel sells well in trade (outside of comic shops) and maybe digital. The rest I'm not sure about.

Hitler did nothing wrong

>Cy is Hitler meme

END
IT
NOW
DELET THIS MEME

>Waid writing teenagers
>Miles
>Ramos art
>kid transrightclops isn't leading them
Why would anyone want this?

Trannyclops is best Cyclops

Oh the fall shall be GLORIOUS
75% fall at minimum

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
It appeals:
>Cyclops fanbase.
>Waifu Viv fanbase
>Cho fanbase
>Sam supporters

All of them are small but persevering fanbases.
And then you have Miles and Kamala, which are two relatively big fanbases.
And the appeal of a probably lighthearted coming to age story.
And the plus of all of them quitting other teams because stupid behaviour and bullshit in the CW.

They just need a decent gallery of rogues and an interesting villain. But this is not much different to how other consolidated team books started.

More people seem to think it's more about the whole variant incentive.

Well, I cannot prove they're wrong. But I honestly think it's not that big of an input in the pre orders / sales / whatever is called, not this big.

>They just need a decent gallery of rogues and an interesting villain

I don't know but from what they describe as to the reasons the team forms I'm just assuming this will be more abstract problems based.

That's because it is

Had a 1:1000 variant which helps a lot

Is Cho a teenager? I could have sworn he was at least mid20s. Why is he on a teen book?

In that case, it's not going to hold itself for long. This is a book young people is going to buy, probably, and young people cannot bear abstract matters for a lot of time without actual action, unless it's teen drama. But not even in that case they will tolerate a lot of non action or plot driven issues..

How is Cyclops Hitler? I'm sorry, but that analogy falls flat on it's face.

Okay, Hitler appealed to the masses by using their hatred towards minority groups and foreign nations, blaming them for Germany's problems. However, while the Treaty did treat Germany like shit, there was no massive Jew Conspiracy at the end of it all, dedicated to fucking Germany over.

The Inhumans though have literally threatened all those who have not complied with them and if their compliance does not come, they terrorize them. They have caused thousands of deaths, all unjustifiable and have taken no responsibility for their actions. Hell, their entire culture is one which is based of eugenics and cleansing the gene pool.

If Cyclops is fighting such awful people, then he should by all definitions be the hero. I mean route for Luke and his friends in Star Wars over less information and details.

Is this Waid's way of saying Hitler did nothing wrong?

I think he's 19-20, which makes him the oldest, I think.

Because he's asian and thus an easy target for demasculinization by a society which still views asians as foreign, exotic and generally weak and disposable

It isn't even in the top 50s. August's numbers aren't out yet but it's been plummeting all year.

Marvel's obviously trying to artificially inflate their numbers here so they can claim that DC's Rebirth initiative didn't totally hand them their ass in 2016.

400k pre-orders?

RIP DCRebirth
I
P

>400,000 (four hundred thousand) preorders for blatant liberal propaganda

I want off the ride Mr Trump

Why do retailers even buy these incentive variants? There's no way it's worth it for their business. They probably have stacks and stacks of un purchased issues still months after release.

>Why do retailers even buy these incentive variants? There's no way it's worth it for their business. They probably have stacks and stacks of un purchased issues still months after release.

They're usually looking to make a quick buck on eBay.

Can't wait for the 90% drop off by the start of the second arc

If you can sell even one incentive variant worth $50 you already make your money back on that huge stack of unsold floppies that you can give away at FCBD or sell for a discounted price later or something.

More like the second issue.

So what variants are tied to this piece of shit, exactly?

This seems suspicious. These sales double the current highest selling book for a bunch of literal whos that nobody cares about.

Is this like how Black Panther sold those huge numbers for its first issue because of Poe Dameron?

I don't know why I'm surprised that Marvel is inflating numbers to give a creative team that can't keep Avengers in the top 50 the best-selling book of the year.

>>Is this like how Black Panther sold those huge numbers for its first issue because of Poe Dameron?
That was a stupid reach by a DCfag. Black Panther is a bigger seller than Poe so how would that even work?

Nah Marvel will still have some incentive nonsense for the second issue to keep it at a meager 50% drop off.

More like the first issue itself.

>Somehow we ended up with so many extra copies

>Is this like how Black Panther sold those huge numbers for its first issue because of Poe Dameron?

Yeah, sales of Black Panther have dropped almost 85% since issue 1. Champions might fare a little better but Waid can't even keep the fucking flagship Avengers book in the top 50. So who knows?

Is that Teen Hulk!!??

You had to order huge amounts of Black Panther to get Poe Dameron variants.

Considering that its sales dropped by over half for the second issue, its bloated sales figures were completely unnatural.

do you have a source for this or is something you just got off Sup Forums?

every book that debuts that high drops a lot, are you new to this shit?

Black Panther was unreadabley bad so something had to get people to buy it.

To be fair, the biggest problem with ANAD Avengers is that Waid can't balance the adults with the kids. Separating them into two different books should solve that.

How's Waid's Archie?

If only Waid can write kids you know he will nake Viv OOC or into an insufferable cunt.

It remains one of Marvel's highest selling books through both diamond and digital.

That's not saying much for modern Marvel. Squirrel Girl also sells to the same retards.

>It appears to be Marvel Comics’ plan to make Champions #1 by Mark Waid and Humberto Ramos the best-selling comic book in October.

>This is how they are going to do it. Retailers who match 200% of a retailer’s order of All-New All-Different Avengers #9, the one that featured the first new Wasp, will get 15% extra discount. 175% will get 10% extra and 150% will get 5% extra off.

>Those who match 200% can then order on top of that the Skottie Young cover, the Champions Variant cover, Hip Hop, Blank, both the Spider-Man and Hulk and the Johnny Blaze John Tyler Christopher action figure covers.

>They can also get the Champions party gear, 100 postcards, 20 lithographs, Champions pins….

>And one copy of the Party variant.

>While the Alex Ross cover is 1:100. The Captain America 75th anniversary cover is 1:50. And a 1:1000 variant – no details but could the odds be it’s by Joe Quesada? He does do these…

>Oh and the exclusive retailer cover availability, which adds 3000 to 4500 on for each comic shop that picks it up

>The only things that can get in the way? Teen Titans #1. The Clone Conspiracy #1. Civil War II #7. But they don’t have a lot of the things that Champions has – specifically that retailer exclusive cover.

>I wonder what Loot Crate will be up to in October?

Don't forget Sam.
God, this is fucking awful.

Who the fuck wants some of this?

Very meh. It was awkwardly laughable in the beginning (the origin of Jughead's hat, for instance). As of now, it's just boring as fuck.

Incredible.

Why does Marvel not just directly sell their variants on eBay? That's literally why they exist.

Even in comic shops, she sells around 35k.

And part due to loot crate, lol

Do Rightclops fans like teen Cyclops?

Same reason Wizards doesn't just directly put foil mythic rare Magic cards directly onto ebay.

so how many variants does it have?

>Cyclops
>"Kid Hitler"

I can't even begin to understand what goes behind the mind of marvel these days. Cyclops isn't even portrayed as anywhere near as bad as Hitler, the max shit he did was "Magneto" tier at worse. Young Cyke hasn't done anything remotely villainesque either.

If a customer requests it, you can sell the variant at the price you paid to buy all or most of those copies. After that you make sales on whatever customers comes in to buy the comic and then toss the rest in the bargain bin.

Nertz!