Why are they so sad Boromir died? He was the bad guy

Why are they so sad Boromir died? He was the bad guy

>he was the bad guy

I know this is probably bait, but I feel compelled to prove you wrong anyway. Boromir is not the "bad guy". Boromir is the most rational one in the group. Not necessarily the most well-meaning or benevolent, but certainly the most rational.

Put yourself in his shoes. You live in a dying city, in a nation that is slowly being picked apart. You see all around you the signs of a great bygone era. Minas Tirith is falling apart, Osgiliath is Detroit-tier, and no one is even alive from the last time Gondor had a king. You see boatload after boatload of dead and mutilated corpses of your countrymen, killed by a whole host of evil creatures.

Then you get invited to this super secret council, and you see this uppity little manlet with a weapon that could change the course of history. The elves (who are fucking just noping right out of ME) that gay old wizard, and the Hobbits who literally live in pretend land think this thing should be destroyed instead. And this mangy fuck who claims to be the heir to the throne.

Out of all the people here, you and your people are the only ones who are truly paying the price for Sauron and his minions. I mean he says it in the movie ffs.

Boromir wants to bring his people back to greatness and prestige, but more than that, he wants them safe in their own homes again. He's a man desperately fighting against the gradual destruction of his culture and way of life.

So no, user, he's not a bad guy.

This is how girls think

The films make Boromir worse than he is in the books.

Bloody hell you just torched this thread, good work have a gif.

lmao, FPBP

someone should've just said
"destroy the ring and sauron's beastlets will be gone"

Make Gondor great again

very funny and well explained answer

>He's a man desperately fighting against the gradual destruction of his culture and way of life.

we all know that feel

sieg heil!

My thoughts as well. I meant to address this in my post, but no one even tells Boromir why they can't use it to fuck up Mordor. It's just "lol no only Saturn can use it, silly."

I feel like Jackson was trying to use Boromir as a reference for the audience, he's certainly more easy to understand for us than magical things like wizards, elves, and dwarves.

Hell, even Boromir himself has little to no experience with these things, or magic of any kind. He just heard that this ring is the most powerful thing ever, and asks the reasonable question why not use it against them.

It puzzles me that so many people think he's "the bad guy." He's the most logical one of the group, and it makes the rest of the Fellowship's sacrifices that much more powerful when you realize 99% of people would do want Boromir wanted to do. Frodo going all the way to Mt. Doom, Gandalf dying (at first), Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli at the Black Gate..... All gain so much more weight when you realize most people would never do that.

God I love these movies.

are you a woman?

Yeah what said!

Is Frodo a bad guy too because refused to drop the ring into the fire? You can just hear Boromir's voice crack after he tried to take the ring from Frodo, he knows he fucked up

How could he return in the first season if he died in the movie? Ridiculous.

The ring uses Boromir's own goodness to corrupt him.

He is plagued with anxiety and doubt because he, much more than the Hobbits and Elves (who live in comfy safety), knows just how shit things are becoming.

His noble desire to protect his people ends up corrupting him, but he regains his resolve at the end.

That's why he hits us in the feels, because his humanity and vulnerability are very relatable.

SIEG HEIL!

SIEG HEIL!

Exactly, well put user.

Not bad, but not as good an explanation as I could give ;)

Bean's performance in this film is amazing IMHO. You fucking feel Boromir's anguish and pain.

He's the most real character in Tolkien's sea of Gary Stu's and Mary Sue's.

Good for you, user. +10 GBP

give me your explanation user

>Is Frodo a bad guy too because refused to drop the ring into the fire?

Yes. He was corrupted by the ring, Frodo didn't save anything it was just coincidence it fell into the lava.

>Gary Stu's
please die

>"I would have followed you, my brother... My captain... My king."
>"Be at peace, Son of Gondor."

This simple exchange is better and has more emotional weight than the entire MCU and Star Wars universe.