Hypercrisis Thread

It's time for a hypercrisis thread, Sup Forums!

It's ALWAYS time for a hypercrisis thread...

Which Justice League member corresponds to Hermes? The obvious answer is The Flash, but Hermes is a god of communication, which I don't see as necessarily matching The Flash more than any other JL member.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x3ov9USxVxY
youtube.com/watch?v=l-cxBuRU09w
thexlibrary.com/index.php/finish/8-occult-demonology/721-sigil-pop-magic/0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Which Justice League member corresponds to Hermes?

It's definitely the Flash. Morrison had each of the JLA members in the DC One Million run charged with one of the different planets in our solar system and he had Flash on Mercury which is the Roman equivalent to Hermes.

Also the Flash literally wears Hermes's helmet. Also when Grant Morrison explains how he does magic to take on the essence of different gods he specifically mentions for Hermes that you would drink a lot of caffeinated beverages and listen to Madonna's Ray of Light, a song with a music video that involves moving at super-fast speeds.

youtube.com/watch?v=x3ov9USxVxY

Thanks!

I was trying to figure out who to ask when I do Kledon divination. Do you think I should be general, or specify a specific Flash like Barry since he's the one I know best from the comics?

>Do you think I should be general

Yes. You're using superheroes as abstract ideals. The more mundane details you apply to them the less they act like pure archetypes and the more they become regular people.

That's true. I was also thinking it might be best because superheroes generally keep their identity a secret, so it might just be rude to be like "yo wassup Bruce" at Batman or something.

>Also when Grant Morrison explains how he does magic to take on the essence of different gods he specifically mentions for Hermes that you would drink a lot of caffeinated beverages and listen to Madonna's Ray of Light, a song with a music video that involves moving at super-fast speeds.
Where does he talk about this stuff? Could be very useful.

For those of you serious about pulling a Morrison and doing your own magic(k), Patrick Dunn's "Postmodern Magic" is fantastic. I think he may disagree with Morrison about some theoretical things, but the methods are certainly compatible, and I think he'd definitely agree that comic books can be magic.

While I agree that Hermes' corresponding Justice League member is Flash, if you are looking for a Justice League member that fits the archetype of "God of Communication", then I think it would be Cyborg.

At this point, Cyborg basically IS the internet. He is constantly online and, as a result, is always in contact with everything and everyone.

>Where does he talk about this stuff?

I think it was somewhere in this lecture:

youtube.com/watch?v=l-cxBuRU09w

Are there any comics that depict Cyborg well? I don't really "get" his character or know much about him, outside of the Teen Titans cartoon from a while back.

How would /x/ react if someone started a Hypercrisis thread over there, beginning by explaining exactly what it is?

....anyone wanna find out?

Unlike the other members of the Justice League, whose archetypes are are ancient ideas, Cyborg carries a very modern, transhumanist archetype, The Man-Machine. He is the question of, "At what level technology is a man no longer considered a man?" given form.

If /tg/ will whip up an explanation that makes the occult elements clear enough, absolutely. I'm pretty sure if I tried, it would take eight or nine posts and a lot of it would be about my personal interpretations of things and put a lot of people off since I disagree with Morrison about some fundamental theoretical things.

/x/ is pretty much dead these days

I noticed something about the Orrery of Worlds last time I was in a Final Crisis thread.

I might be grasping at straws a bit here, maybe a Cigar is just a Cigar, but it looked a lot like a prescription bottle filled with M&Ms.

Screenshot of the specific image of it that you're thinking of?

The answer is: when he's more machine than black, then he's a man.

Never mind, it was actually here:

thexlibrary.com/index.php/finish/8-occult-demonology/721-sigil-pop-magic/0

>Call fervently upon Hermes. Luxuriate in his attributes. Drink coffee or Red Bull in his name or take a line of speed, depending on your levels of drug abuse. Fill your head with speedy images of jet planes, jet cars, and bullet trains. Play "Ray of Light" by Madonna and call down Hermes. Surround yourself with FLASH comics and call down Hermes.

There isn't actually a good look at the Orrery in Final Crisis or Multiversity.

The worlds in there remind me of a bunch of grapes on the vine.